The Twilight Zone

Nothing in the Dark

Aired Unknown Jan 05, 1962 on CBS

I've only seen a few episodes of this original show in the 60s. But I really enjoyed this installment of The Twilight Zone, even if the characters appear for merely one episode, you get completely interested in the characters portrayed here. Brilliant writing, which has to be one of the best things about this show. The story here is a woman trying to a avoid Mr. Death. Mr. Death is personified here. The thing that really impressed me here is the comparison of the woman's life to the worn out apartment buildings.

The setback of this episode was once when Harold told Wanda to get the door, I knew that he was death. A great ending it makes you ponder on what happens life after death.

Great installment of this series.
  • One of my favorites, this is one of the more impassive, yet spooky episodes.

Nothing in the Dark is classic Twilight Zone. One of the best episodes produced. Gladys Cooper is the old woman who is afraid of death. She never goes out anywhere and, in fact, never leaves the inside of her house at all for the fear that death will come and take her with him. One day a wounded officer, portrayed by a young Robert Redford, is in need of care at her door. She fears that he may be Mr. Death himself, but eventually she reluctantly lets the officer in and befriends him. In the end though the officer does in fact turn out to be death, but he soon convinces her that she really has nothing to fear and he takes her with him.
  • One of the most overlooked episodes.

I saw this episode a long time ago but I sometimes thought of it and wanted to see it again. I sought it out a couple years ago and I've shown it to many friends. I'm still intrigued every time I see it. The plot builds so strongly and it just pulls me in. And the ending gives me goosebumps every time! It's the perfect combination of scariness, suspense and finally respite. I love bittersweet stories. I really walked away looking at my life a little differently. And you can't say that about many shows!

If you haven't seen it I HIGHLY recommend it.
  • One of my favorite episodes.

This episode deals with a subject that we all must one day face; our own death. It is wonderfully portrayed. It helps people understand about having to come to terms with things that are inevitable. When the woman first lets the strange young man inside she is unknowingly facing what she fears most. There are many things one can take away from this episode. First, one must come to face ones fears in order to conquer them. Secondly we learn that often the fears we have are something we have made up ourselves and there really is nothing to fear. And of all shows to do it, this was the episode that got me to stop being afraid of the dark! Because as we all know that there is nothing in the dark that wasn't there when the lights were on.
  • Mother, give me your hand.

One of my favorites and not just because the beautiful, young Robert Redford is in it. Everything about this episode is flawless. The production value, the acting, and the story. The old lady's fear of death is so true to life. Her unique understanding and ability to see Death add to her fear and ours. The police officer is so comforting, we are lulled into a peacefullness even as the old woman tells of her fears. In the end, it's such a simple and peaceful happiness that I felt, it truly helped me all these years as I worked on my own thoughts of mortality. Did I mention how beautiful and young Robert Redford was? (It makes one want to weep.)
  • A woman afraid to leave her apartment because she knows that death is awaiting her. Spoilers in review.

7.8
    The same premise of this episode has been done a couple of times on the tz but each has it's own originality thanks to the acting and directing and writing. In fact this reminds me a bit of Poe's the masquerade of red death, except with a more optimistic message about dying. Poe's version is that you can't escape death, while this episode is about not escaping death but death is not as bad as you think.
    A woman afraid to leave her apartment because she knows that it is her time to die. A wounded policeman, robert redford, finally convinces her to let him in because he is dying. She begins to trust this young policeman who eventually reveals himself to her as death. Death is more clever than you think but not as bad as you think. The episodes this reminds me of but differs in some elements are: One for the Angels, and the Grandfather Clock.