The Twilight Zone

Number Twelve Looks Just Like You

Aired Unknown Jan 24, 1964 on CBS

• An amazingly premonition of our present!!!

I saw this episode as a child and it has stuck with me for over 20 years because it's ending was so shocking. I never knew the title but I researched it on the internet and found it. I wish I could send it to all the Dr. 90210's out there as well as the patients who believe that their self-esteem must be wrapped up in their beauty because of how highly society values it. Sadly, it is true. And even more sadly, many who have stridently been anti-plastic surgery find themselves as hypocrites when they give in to youth obsessed culture and discover they really are happier when prettier. Plastic surgery was once reserved for those who were disfigured, but today those who have normal faces and bodies often feel that they are not normal, as a manufactured form is becoming the standard of normalcy. This episode nailed it on the head.
  • Life is Plastic...It's Fantastic!

How interesting that Rod Serling claims that the date of this episode taking place is around the year 2000! Eerily familiar in our present culture, this Bradbury-esque episode is a fifty year-old prophecy already coming true of a society apathetic to everything except physical beauty and platonic happiness, both of which can be obtained instantly.

It is heartbreaking to watch the futile fight of the young girl, Marilyn, as she persists in trying to break free of the suffocating and shallow culture in which she lives and retain her identity. With her own mother pressuring her to undergo the "Transformation," her claim that "I am beautiful to the people who love me" is perhaps not as true as she once thought.

I found it very interesting in the scene between Marilyn and the other young girl who'd already undergone the Transformation that multiple marriages, as in eleven or twelve, were commonplace in this society as well. Nothing means anything unless it is instant gratification.
  • I love this episode. It's a wonderful episode.

I really like this episode. The funny thing about this episode is that it is true. It seems like everyone is getting plastic surgery, just to make themselves look more young and beautiful. And that is what this episode it about. Everyone has to get a transformation to make them beautiful and look like everyone else. The world would not be a perfect place, if everyone was the same. What makes up the world is the differences in people. I think this is a wonderful episode, because one young woman dares to be different from everyone else. I wonder if the writer's ever expected this story to be somewhat true.