The Twilight Zone

Number Twelve Looks Just Like You

Aired Unknown Jan 24, 1964 on CBS

• Uglyness in a Beautiful World

This episode was rather prolific on today excessive Nip/Tuck plastic surgery or drug culture and need of treatments to stay young and beautiful. The question in this episode is what is real beauty. We see a dytopian society which is obsessed with beauty, where everyone can get it in an instant, or when depressed they can pop in a pill to feel better again (like anyone taking Zaniac). Seems almost like a good place but this beautiful flower has some rot setting in.

One single young girl Marilyn Caberle is thinking of changing her physical appearance to look as beautiful as everybody else but she is having second thoughts. We see though her eyes the dytopia she lives in and emphise with her opinons and obervations. She is under a lot of preasure and things she looks homely, but whether she knows it or not she really doesn't bad at all and her resistance make her more beautiful on the inside.

The people in the dytopia all look like Barbie dolls phisically beautiful in every way, but on the inside their just as empty as the insides of the plastic dolls. They all are bankrupt emotionally not to mention intellectually. You litterally cringe at the people's ignorance not knowing any of the famous authors like Keets or anyone else that has brought beautiful literature works to the world, you get the feeling these people never cracked open one single book in their life so obviously an illiteracy problem. These people are all too focused on being beautiful and happy that they have lost their sense of identities as well as dosile and blind to the most imporatant things to make a person a person.

And you feel a little pathos for the doomed protaginist Marilyn as she constantly fights to keep her identity but unfotunately she is only one voice of reason, and one voice isn't always enough to bring reason to a world gone mad. It wines down to a rather cruel ending that sends a sick feeling down your stomach.

The story goes to show that true beauty is truely on the inside, what is outside doesn't always relect who we are inside. It's focusing on whats more important and what we do with our lives that make us beautiful.