The Twilight Zone

Number Twelve Looks Just Like You

Aired Unknown Jan 24, 1964 on CBS

• Life is Plastic...It's Fantastic!

How interesting that Rod Serling claims that the date of this episode taking place is around the year 2000! Eerily familiar in our present culture, this Bradbury-esque episode is a fifty year-old prophecy already coming true of a society apathetic to everything except physical beauty and platonic happiness, both of which can be obtained instantly.

It is heartbreaking to watch the futile fight of the young girl, Marilyn, as she persists in trying to break free of the suffocating and shallow culture in which she lives and retain her identity. With her own mother pressuring her to undergo the "Transformation," her claim that "I am beautiful to the people who love me" is perhaps not as true as she once thought.

I found it very interesting in the scene between Marilyn and the other young girl who'd already undergone the Transformation that multiple marriages, as in eleven or twelve, were commonplace in this society as well. Nothing means anything unless it is instant gratification.