The Twilight Zone

Showdown with Rance McGrew

Aired Unknown Feb 02, 1962 on CBS

5.7
  • And the moral of the story is...

5.5
    Twilight Zone episodes generally have a moral, but I fail to see any moral in this one. What exactly is the point? What are they trying to tell us, if anything? Maybe it's that actors are often not as tough as the characters they portray, but so what? That's why they're called actors. And maybe they're trying to tell us that Old West villains sometimes get a bad rap, blah! blah! Okay, maybe "Jesse" wasn't Charles Manson, but he was a menace to society, so let's stop the lionizing please! The late Larry Blyden was not an untalented hack, and played the part well as Rance McGrew, the tough lawman who always got the best of "Jesse" in each episode of his fictional TV series, but Arch Johnson, otherwise a fine actor, was badly miscast as the Old West outlaw, who shows up to make sure that Rance's TV series gives Jesse and his friends their due, so-called. I agree that James Best would have made a fine Jesse James, as would James Stacy, or even Mr. Blyden himself. They all looked the part much better than Johnson, who might have made a good marshal. The silly plot is compensated for somewhat by the entertainment value.
WZME