The Twilight Zone

Stopover in a Quiet Town

Aired Unknown Apr 24, 1964 on CBS

• Two people get drunk and wake up in THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

I really loved this episode. It is everything that makes The Twilight Zone such a great show. It was suspenseful and spooky. It had great acting, and excellent pacing. The plot moved a long slow enough to be creepy but not too fast to spoil the suspense. And of course, it wouldn't be a Twilight Zone episode, without an awesome twist ending, and this one had one of the best. It's tough not to be scared at teh end of this one, especially if you come across it late at night when your all alone. This one will stay with you for quite some time.
  • The Quiet Town

This episode is one of the best and still is, the name of the game in this episode is disorentation. In a way this whole episode gets at the common fear and phobia of finding yourself in a rather strange enviorment where everything feels different, nothing really looks familar, you have no idea how you even got to where you are now. It makes sense that the two characters who obviously drank above the limit would find themselves in this predicament, since that most of the time happens with people who have a little too much, they would go into what you might consider a drug trip. But anyway all this episode reilys on build up and moodyness, the isolated quiet depopulated setting thoughout the whole episode is creepy and unnerving almost similar to the setting in movies "28 Days Latter" or "The Quiet Earth". It's nerveracking and disarming having no understanding and few clues how they got to how they got to the quiet town, where they are, why is the town so quiet and certain things seem fake, why are they even there in the first place? We get no answers to these questions until the very end.
  • One of the Best Episodes

I think that this episode of The Twilight Zone was one of the best episodes of the series. I watched this episode during the Fourth of July marathon and when I saw the ending I couldn't believe it. This episode was good because it made you guess to see where the main characters in this story were and then at the end of the episode you found out where they were. I think that this ending is one of the greatese twist endings in a Twilight Zone episode. Overall this episode was one of my favorite episodes and one of the best episodes of the series.
  • A creepy TZ classic!

Yes, we've seen Twilight Zone characters suddenly find themselves in a strange, but familiar, environment (Where is Everybody). Yes, we've seen the TZ twists where the characters are actually miniatures (Five Characters in Search of an Exit), or being observed by human-like aliens(People Are Alike All Over). Yes, the morality tale on drunk driving is too specific, and too tacked on. Yet Stopover in a Quiet Town is indeed a TZ classic! Maybe it's in knowing that these rather unlikable characters are doomed to this life-free alien playground for their entire lives. In this sense, does it even matter that the characters aren't in hell? Maybe it's the slow journey these characters go on from hopeful to hopeless that makes this a real treat to watch.

One wish: I would have liked to have seen them take the main road to the edge of town--how would this have been portrayed?
  • New Yorkers Bob and Millie are on their way home from a party when they suddenly awaken to find themselves in bed in a house they have never seen before in an apparently deserted town. As they search the town, they make a number of surprising discoveries

This episode isn't perfect, it becomes obvious fairly early where Bob and Millie are (The little girl's laughter is a tip-off) and the diloauge could have been better. But these flaws are overcome by the good performances and the climax of the episode. That is certainly one very interesting way to reveal to the viewers what is happening. When the little girl's large hand reaches down and picks up Bob and Millie, it has just the right amount of surprise and fear to make the scene work very well. The explanation as to how they got there works well also.
  • Mostly good

The episode is creepy and some what original. This is the 4th or 5th episode about a lonely empty town. I like this episode up until the ending. Then it takes a turn for the worst. Still it's a solid episode and one of the more interesting ones. It's better than the "Where is everybody" episode.