The Twilight Zone

The Brain Center at Whipple's

Aired Unknown May 15, 1964 on CBS

6.2
  • One that I remember well.

I remembered this Twilight Zone episode from childhood for one simple reason, Robby the Robot. After seeing the movie "Forbidden Planet" as a child it was a real treat for me whenever I got to see Robby in anything and his appearance in this episode was both brief and unexpected. The episode itself is somewhat predictable with the typical Rod Serling twist at the end and is definetly not one of the best, but still a fun episode worth watching. Even if you aren't a big fan of Robby the Robot!

• Machines Replacing Human Workers - but at a hyper-exaggerated timeframe

First aired in May 1964, and set in the late '67/early '68 timeframe, the machines are replacing humans at the "Whipple Factory" left and right. Here we are in 2015, and the scenario of machines replacing human workers "wholesale" as described in this episode is really only just beginning, and happening much more slowly than plays out at the Whipple Factory. What was seen as taking 4-5 years in 1964, will turn out to take 50-80 years in actuality, and allow humans to move into other technically-oriented specialties, if they have the gumption to keep on learning/working... others will have more time for leisure, as is alluded to in this episode. All in all, I'd have to say that the human-perspective problems described are "hyper-exaggerated" - both Whipple's attitude & the speed of technological improvements (which are 1000x more rapid than the Moore's Law pace we are actually experiencing... interestingly, Moore's Law was first described in a paper published in 1965, about the same time this episode was aired).... in the end, in the USA, the robots turned out to be the good guys, helping the US build back its manufacturing base - after most all American Manufacturing jobs have been lost wholesale to outsourcing, H1-B in-sourcing, and illegal alien workers. So, while there may be some lessons to be learned from this episode, in the end, things are really too unrealistic to give us a true "lay of the land" (to use a phrase of Whipple's).
  • Shut up, Mel!

This story is relevant almost 50 years later. It highlights the myopia of corporate thinking