The Twilight Zone

The Eye of the Beholder

Aired Unknown Nov 11, 1960 on CBS

• "IN THE EYE OF THIS BEHOLDER, IT REMAINS INVALUABLE"

by Dane Youssef

IF THERE TRULY IS ANY and all episode that best sums up what "THE ZONE" is all about, it's this one. Serling told us at the end of last week's episode to tune in for this episode as he remarks: "... It's called 'The Eye of The Beholder' and it comes

This time, Serling takes us to an anonymous hospital which could probably be anywhere. He takes us right away head-first into room #307 where a woman with a grotesquely misshapen face is awaiting her last attempt at corrective surgery. Her whole life is just lying in that bed, bandaged from the neck-up like a mummy they've just started work on.

The rest of the medical staff talk about what a poor soul she is. The nurses try their best to accommodate her with the best "bedside manner" physically possible. They certainly sound sympathetic. The doctor asks why such prejudice seems to exist in a society. Aren't we supposed to all be on the same team? Isn't that the purpose of civilization? Our heart breaks right along with hers--and Doctor Bernardi's in one touching speech that takes place in the employee break-room.

Janet Tyler sounds like such a tender soul. The kind of decent person there just isn't enough of in this cold, cruel world. And this world seems more fascist than our own. We hear of "The Apparently this time, Serling has brought us to a hypothetical land where Hitler won. There is only one world leader, one way, one regime. We hear him on the early flat-screen TV's praising "the glory of conformity. The delight of our unified The whole world is one giant united annexed totalitarian dictatorship. We all know what it's like to want to belong, to flourish. To be part of humanity. And we want that for her.

It's true that opposites tend to attract more than they repel. And we do tend to attack and destroy that which is different to us. Even as children. Even this day in age. But as those who opposed fascists like Hitler knew... doesn't conformity limit our humanity rather than strengthen it? Is this form of oppression and de-humanity the only way there will be total world order and peace?

And it's true that anyone with a working brain cell can see the trademark "Big Rod Serling Twist" coming a hundred thousand miles away... from space even, it isn't about whether or not we can guess what the big ironic or karmic ending is--it's about the whole journey there and what it all means. And pop culture has only made the finale more known.

And in the end... what's really ugly and frightening... is how much this world isn't really galaxies away from our own.

Still in the end, Serling's message still remains as relevant as it did about half a century ago.

And this was one of the episodes that was re-made for the re-incarnation of the series in 2002. Technology had improved, particularly the make-up and the TV flat screens. And believe it or not, the re-make followed Serling's original script more faithfully--and the "surprise" (notice that's in quotes) was a little less obvious. The acting was terrible however, with few exceptions.

The cast here is all solid and the acting rarely comes across as campy, with a few exceptions. The two actresses doing "Ms. Janet Tyler," the "Before " and "After" play it for all it's worth. Maxine Stewart does a better job that Donna Douglas, but Donna does exactly what she was meant to. Douglas and Edson Stroll have a moment right out of "Gone With The Wind" that seems appropriately turned on it's director Douglas Heyes does a fine job of capturing the right mood, playing with the light and camera angles to establish the right feel... as well as making the conclusion pretty clear. The make-up is pretty silly and unconvincing by any standards, but in the end--the point remains intact.

One thing's for sure... You'll never think of the labels of "beautiful" and "hideous" the same way again...

--For Rod Almighty... God Serling Himself... And All That Ever Happened In His Almighty Zone, Dane Youssef
  • Great epsiode

This episode is the most scary of the entire series. Those faces are just hideous and terrifying. This is the scary episode that you hope for because of all the bland episodes. This one makes up for it. In the 1990's Saturday night live made fun of this episode and also this episode was recreated on the updated version of the Twilight zone.
  • A woman named Janet Tyler is in the hospital with her face covered in bandages. Apparently she is hideous looking and she has undergone an experimental treatment to make her look "normal."

"Eye of the Beholder" is one of the more popular episodes of The Twilight Zone and for good reason. It has a very clever and well written storyline, it is well acted and it certainly keeps the viewers' attention held up until the end. The revelation of what Janet Tyler, as well as the rest of the "normal looking" hospital staff looks like is a terrific climax to this episode. The dialogue between the characters and their reaction to people who don't conform to the majority is also a good reflection on life and culture then and now. Great episode.

• eye of the beholder indeed...

I've always found this one to be overrated. I never thought the filming method came off all that natural; it seemed clear that the cameras had something to hide. And of course once again Serling has to drub us over the head with the moral by having all the Big Brother vids at the end repeat their message over and over. On the plus side though, Donna Elly Mae Douglas is indeed stunning.

• wow what a fantastic episode! i don't consider myself someone who gets scared or creeped out easily, but i was truly disturbed by this episode. and the messege it sends is great. what may be beautiful to some isn't necessarily beautiful to others.

when this episode starts out we see a woman's face wrapped in bandages. throughout the episode we don't get to see the woman's face, nor do we get to see the faces of the doctors and nurses taking care of her. the woman is undergoing surgery. she is ashamed of her physical appearance and she is hoping the surgery will make her appear "normal" so she can look like everyone else around her. throughout most of the episode, the viewer is under the impression that this woman is hideous and grotesque. but in true TZ form, there is a twist at the end. the woman is actually beautiful and the people around her are deformed. and because she doesn't look like them, she is considered "ugly". but to us, she is stunning. the title says it all. beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.
  • A very well written episode with a good message.

Eye Of The Beholder is one of my favorite and most remembered episodes of The Twilight Zone. It has an incredibly good story line and really great plot. I loved there towards the end when we finally got to see the doctors' and the patient's face after they removed their masks. That was a really great moment for me. I was really shocked at first to finally see how weird the "creatures" were and how pretty the girl was. But therein lies the remarkable message and moral of this episode of the Twilight Zone. Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.
  • It starts of with a women with her whole face wrapped around bandages b/c she her face is so ugly that nobody can stand to see her. She's in the hospital where the doctor is trying to change her face to look more like everyone else in the twilight zone.

So far the doctor has failed to un-uglyify the woman. He has even mentioned that if the last treatment doesn't work she will have to go live with "her kind." I guess that meant ugly. LOL Anyways, during the whole episode, I was kept in suspense because the hospital never showed her face. It was kept wrapped in bandages. I felt kinda bad for her. She said children screamed whenever they saw her. This lady just wanted to fit in with the rest of the world but in the end she just wanted the bandages to come off to see if her final treatment worked. As the doctor unwrapped the bandages, all the hospital workers watched and were also kept in suspense. Then they showed her face and she was... dun dun dun, pretty? Didn't look so terribly ugly to me. But in their world everyone has huge nostrils, big eyes and an hanging wide upper lip. During the whole episode the hospital workers faces were darkened and not revealed so I had no clue what the definition of ugly really was. (I just assumed their faces being darkened was a normal part of black & white tv).So the pretty lady went home with a handsome man that resembled "her kinds" of features. So I guess she WAS the ugly one, in the twilight zone. It all depends on the eye of the beholder.
  • A woman undergoes surgery to appear "normal."

Serling, the master of creativity, again shows his excellence with "The Eye of the Beholder." This just proves that beauty is different to everyone. It is a word that is not easily defined because it does not have one definition. Serling is amazing is that he not only uses "normal" looking people to play the "ugly," but he uses a beautiful woman and a very attractive man to depict what this society has deemed grotesque. Thus, those we find as extremely beautiful are quite the opposite in The Twilight Zone.

We can learn a lot from Serling and his social commentaries.
  • Eye Candy

One of the best episodes of "the Twlight Zone," I saw a few times and it's more shocking that I first saw it a few years ago. Rod Stering tackles the subjecrt of Beauty in this episode where a woman awaiting to have those bandages removed. her name is juanet Ryler and she is patient 307. to us, she is in the Twlight Zone. The people around are saying how ugly she is and she's not going to stand a chance in the outside world. when her bandages are finally removed, you won't know waht's going to happen next. One of the best of the series.
  • The Eye Of The Beholder has the best lesson ever to be learned in any Twilight Zone episode.

The Eye Of The Beholder is truly a beatiful episode in aome respects. The plot is great and nerve wracking and just the overall performance from the hsow is great. The camera angles preventing the face of the nurse and doctors is truly a unique and well worth experience. This is one of my favorite episodes becuase at the end you feel a lot better about yourself and you try to be a better person.
  • Memorable episode.

Okay, so this is unusual. Its about a woman with bandages on her face trying to get surgery to be beautiful. While this is happening we dont see anybodys face, we just see from the neck down. When the bandages are removed we see that she is just a normal looking woman and all the other people have pig faces, which in that world is pretty. Its a really memorable and classic episode.
SYFY