The Twilight Zone

The Eye of the Beholder

Aired Unknown Nov 11, 1960 on CBS

• wow what a fantastic episode! i don't consider myself someone who gets scared or creeped out easily, but i was truly disturbed by this episode. and the messege it sends is great. what may be beautiful to some isn't necessarily beautiful to others.

when this episode starts out we see a woman's face wrapped in bandages. throughout the episode we don't get to see the woman's face, nor do we get to see the faces of the doctors and nurses taking care of her. the woman is undergoing surgery. she is ashamed of her physical appearance and she is hoping the surgery will make her appear "normal" so she can look like everyone else around her. throughout most of the episode, the viewer is under the impression that this woman is hideous and grotesque. but in true TZ form, there is a twist at the end. the woman is actually beautiful and the people around her are deformed. and because she doesn't look like them, she is considered "ugly". but to us, she is stunning. the title says it all. beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.