The Twilight Zone

The Jungle

Aired Unknown Dec 01, 1961 on CBS

7.9
  • That Old Black Magic

Part of the fun I get in watching old Twilight Zone episodes is not simply trying to guess the twist in the tale that so many of them include, but the influences upon and potential sources of the story itself.

During the very first scene of "The Jungle", when Richards foolishly destroys the fetish that his wife has been keeping in order to protect him, I thought, "Hmm. This is a lot like Fritz Leiber's book, 'Conjure Wife'" (originally published in "Unknown Worlds", 1943). I should point out that my hypothesis is somewhat borne out by the fact that the scriptwriter, Charles Beaumont, later produced a script in collaboration with Richard Matheson and George Baxt which was an adaptation of that very same Fritz Leiber story. The film that resulted, "The Night of the Eagle (1962)", is highly recommended (at least by me).

Further on in the episode, when Richards is fearfully trying to make his way home through the haunted city streets I couldn't help smiling at the obvious parallels with Jacques Tourneur's classic horror movie, "Cat People (1942)". There may even be a little flavour of "The Seventh Victim (1943)" thrown in there, too.

Oh, by the way, Mr. Richards, as an ex-city dweller myself, I would've thought (voodoo curses aside) that you'd have known better than to wander through a city park in the early hours of the morning. :P
SYFY