The Twilight Zone

The Masks

Aired Unknown Mar 20, 1964 on CBS

• Long wait.

It's a long boring wait till the grand finale ending. The ending is one of the best for any episode. Very, very creepy to say the least. Most of the episode is about a group of family members sitting around talking. It's a long wait but it's worth it.
  • Reclusive tycoon Jason Foster summons his heirs, whom he despises, to his New Orleans home on Mardi Gras. He tells them that they must wear specially designed masks until midnight in order to receive their inheritances. The heirs reluctantly agree.

"The Masks" works on every level, the writing, the story, the acting is just terrific. All of the actors give great performances and are very believable in their roles. The dying family patriarch's speech to his heirs just before his death is one of the best moments of dialogue in any episode of The Twilight Zone. The episode is also a bit scary. Seeing the heirs wear their masks added just the right amount of chills to a very engaging and entertaining episode of one of the greatest television series ever made. "The Masks" is definitely not to be missed.

• The one about the, um, "masks"....

One of the reasons that the Twilight Zone is arguably the greatest television show of all time is that it was fearless in presenting us with the undisclosed truth. Our innermost, unfortunate nature that we hide with behind a smile, utter hypocrisy which, alas, is the base of world. People wear a mask everyday. Imagine what we would all look like if the ugliness inside of us was exterior. In "The Masks" we are presented with four people who pose as the poster children for the ultimate human error.

A dying man's daughter, along with her husband and children, visit him on the eve of the Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Though not with scrupulous intentions. During their stay, they are given four hideous masks and are told that they must wear them until the turn of the midnight hour. Though reluctant, they eventually comply. While the dying man himself obliges to wear the mask of death, which is the face of a skeleton. As the hours progress, his four malicious family members grow weary of their masks. Soon they are able to remove the dreadful masks from their faces, when they learn that their host has finally died. As they mirthfully prepare for a considerable inheritance and remove the masks, the true nature of their notion is prevalent among their detestable new appearances.

• the masks

this episode of the twilight zone was about a dieing old man and his family is their with him, the old man hates his family because they are selfish and greedy and all they care about is money and there just waiting for him to die so he tells them to put on masks ugly masks to represent how ugly they are on the inside they think hes just wasteing their time. it was a great episode the moral was someone may look nice on the outside but on the inside they could be an ugly person. . . .
  • Jason Foster, wealthy resident of New Orleans is not much longer for this world. His family is only interested in collecting inheritence when Jason passes. He knows. He has a surprise planned for all of them. Their own Mardi Gras, with "special" masks.

by Dane Youssef

"What Do You See When You Look At Me?" "The Twilight Zone" was a turning point in television because of its entirely human characters, its situations, its usage of the supernatural and the astronomical and it's perplexing surprise endings which were a study in divine poetic karma. Back when the pop-culture geek fad of choice was pulp fiction magazines which contained short stories dealing with fantasy, science-fiction, horror and macabre... it was "Twilight" that started the great practice of putting them on the small screen. And with an urgent moral commentary about humanity overall no less.

But what's really made so much of this series stand the test of time and the measuring stick for what the quality of "quality programming" is measured by the fact that the show was a lot like a fairy tale. Or the Bible, or any religious tome.

This time, the "Zone" shines it's twilight on an elderly wealthy man on his last gasp. His doctor tells him how critical his situation at this point. He may not have years or even months... he may not even have more than days or minutes.

This particular rich elder still has a few more tasks and loose ends to tie up before he shuffles off this mortal coil. One final task. The family is coming into town... for Mardi Gras. But Mr. Foster is not fortunate enough to be embraced by the bosom of a warm embrace full clan when he makes his way down the stairs. His kin is not there to spend the holiday of Mardi Gras with someone they care for deeply in his last few moments. They are only there to assure they will inherit everything of value once Jason passes. He is not entirely pleased to see them. He knows why they are all there.

The family are the type who have not only character faults, they wear them quite prominently. The family almost seem to be living embodiments of the seven deadly sins. But they all withhold two precise to heart--greed and selfishness, if not outright absolute evil.

After a magnificent meal, he tells everyone he has a surprise for the whole family. He presents a collection of masks hand-made by an old Cajun. He informs the family that a custom of Mardi Gras is to wear masks that are the exact opposite of a one's true self. Thereupon, he says sarcastically that these masks are just that. The family refuses. He threatens to disinherit them all but completely if they do not humor this little eccentric, dying, senile old man... Funny thing, the masks almost seem inspired by the seven deadly sins. When the family's little no-tech masquerade ball itself ends, and the masks themselves are to be removed...

This is one of Serling's most famous episodes. And with good reason. There isn't a lot of action and topical subjects such as the Cold War and conformity to be had here. It deals with a timeless subjects such as family and love.

Actors are all fine here, they all seems big as life. Flesh-and-Blood. But much of this show belongs to one Robert Keith who plays the terminal Jason Foster.

But of course, the real star of this one is, as always the teleplay of one Rodman Edward Serling. The man not only penned the bulk of what was seen on "The Twilight Zone," he raised the bar for what was seen on the tube and what "well written" really meant. He took home six Emmys, more than anyone had in history back then. After him, scripture for television became a respectable pursuit.

NOTE: This review is dedicated to Edward Rodman Serling, a man who not only fought to protect our country and our way of life in WWII and took a fair amount of injury for it. But also fought the censors on TV twice as hard to make sure his vision was seen and heard. When TV was about shows like "Leave it to Beaver" and "Donna Reed," here was a man who wanted to use the box to illuminate serious problems like the cold war, racism, anti-society, paranoia and other destructive elements that come from within us. He was buried with military honors. I hope television honors as well. All he wanted was to remembered as a writer. Well.... I remember....

--Holy Worship for Rod Almighty, Dane Youssef
  • This is one of my new favorite episodes.

I saw this one for the first time today and it is now one of my favorites. I love the simplicity of the plot and the characters. You have a greedy dad, a selfish mom, a cruel son, and an evil princess daughter. I feel really bad for the old millionare. But I think it was a fair trade. They got the millions they wanted but he brought what they look like on the inside out. All the masks were pretty creepy looking. The facial shapes were molded into the mask. Now all the faces were not over the top which was good. It just brought the true looks out. I wonder if they lifted his mask if it would only be a skull...
  • True natures revealed!

\"The Masks\" tells the story of Jason Foster, a dying old man laying on his deathbed on Mardi Gras night in New Orleans. He is visited by his selfish, cruel, and downright despicable relatives: Wilfred Sr, his greedy son-in-law; Emily, Jason\'s self-centered, needy daughter; Paula, his narcissistic and uncaring granddaugther; and finally, Wilfred Jr, his lazy and sadistic bully of a grandson. The family is rich and totally spoiled, and look grandoise and illustrious on the outside, but Jason is willing to change all that. He has a trick up his sleeve and is ready to teach all four a painful lesson for their wickedness and greed.

Enter the Masks. There are five of them. Jason has his family members wear them until the stroke of midnight. Jason will wear the fifth one. The masks are strange and have have horrible faces on them. But the parts just getting good. When midnight strikes, Jason dies, but he leaves a parting gift for his vicious family members, who are still wearing the masks. Wilfred Sr, elated that his father-in-law is finally dead, jubilantly pulls off his mask and gets the shock of a lifetime.

Wilfred\'s face was magnificently molded into that of his mask. He now has a hideous face. Paula, Emily, and Wilfred Jr. are shocked; and one by one they pull off their masks, only to see that their faces have changed and taken on the characteristics of the masks they wore as well. The Foster family now wears the horrible ugliness that was inside them for all this time. This is a classic tale of justice delivered. I despised all four relatives and was very satisfied with the ending. The musical score once again was top-notch and set the creepy mood for the whole episode. Great story all around. :)
  • The true motives of a family.

I really enjoyed this episode because it points a spotlight on the dark, yet true side of many family members. I have personally seen people who are like patient vultures waiting for a loved one to die merely to fly down a take anything and everything that they can clutch in their greedy little claws. It is a terrible part of human nature, but never-the-less a real part of human nature.

I found the family easy to loathe and was very happy to see them get what they deserved. Grandpa found a way to bring out the true side of these people so that everyone could see what he sees. He truly gets his revenge before dying.
  • Internal Evil

Masks are of course the theme of this Twilight Zone tale. What I like about his episode is it sort of has an Gothic folklore sensability and that is what this tale is, there is never any nice feeling to it, there is darkness and rotten feelings.

The protaginist of the story is Jason who is the dying millionare trying to deliver justice to his unloving and dishonorable family. You can't help but feel sorry for the character who is trying to find some trace of humanity in all of his family but is getting nothing but lies and the cruelity behind it.

You litteally hate all of Jason's family members. You cringe at them constantly sucking up and lieing to Jason, we are able to see though them. Everyone of them look nice and clean on the outside. But on the inside there is nothing but a rot of sin that festers inside them. All of them have lived their lives based on sin. Emily and Wilfred it was all deception and greed, Paula selfishness and narsism, and Wilfred Jr sloth and cruelty toward others to steal away feelings he doesn't have. All of them are slaves to their own sins and evil desires; rich finantially but poor on what they really inside, love.

And the ending when everyone wheres the demonic masks you can say we finally see what the family really looks. For their the true identities of the evil in their own souls.
WZME