The Twilight Zone

The Masks

Aired Unknown Mar 20, 1964 on CBS

• The one about the, um, "masks"....

One of the reasons that the Twilight Zone is arguably the greatest television show of all time is that it was fearless in presenting us with the undisclosed truth. Our innermost, unfortunate nature that we hide with behind a smile, utter hypocrisy which, alas, is the base of world. People wear a mask everyday. Imagine what we would all look like if the ugliness inside of us was exterior. In "The Masks" we are presented with four people who pose as the poster children for the ultimate human error.

A dying man's daughter, along with her husband and children, visit him on the eve of the Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Though not with scrupulous intentions. During their stay, they are given four hideous masks and are told that they must wear them until the turn of the midnight hour. Though reluctant, they eventually comply. While the dying man himself obliges to wear the mask of death, which is the face of a skeleton. As the hours progress, his four malicious family members grow weary of their masks. Soon they are able to remove the dreadful masks from their faces, when they learn that their host has finally died. As they mirthfully prepare for a considerable inheritance and remove the masks, the true nature of their notion is prevalent among their detestable new appearances.

SYFY