The Twilight Zone

The Monsters are Due on Maple Street

Aired Unknown Mar 04, 1960 on CBS

• Quite a cleverly plotted episode.

In this episode the people of Maple Street fear that an alien that is disguised as a person is among them due to a kid saying that the power cut which is taking place is part of an alien invasion. Towards the end the people of Maple Street begin to panic and they all start breaking windows with stones and blaming each other. A very good episode. It was quite well written. There is an excellent twist at the end of the episode that is not to be missed. Anyway, that just about raps it up for this review. Thanks for reading!
  • invasion of the body snatchers, part II

As perfect a parable about Communism as ever there was! Here, though the aliens really do constitute a threat, they prove to be nowhere near the threat that people are to each other...thus the sardonic, vintage Serling twist at the end. This one always reminds me of the interview Mike Wallace did with Serling, where (hearing about his plans to do TZ) he said something like: "So you're not going to do anything serious anymore?" LOL

• Classics episode is anti-McCarthyism, and anti Communism.

When machines and appliances suddenly and inexplicably stop working, the townsfolk on Maple Street start suspecting each other of being infiltrators of some sort of group bent on conquest. A teenage boy obsessed with sci-fi comic books tells the others that it must be aliens from another planet. When some of the residents appliances suddenly start working again, each in turn becomes the object of suspicion. Paranoia ensues, and the neighborhood becomes a mob, especially Charlie (Jack Weston), who accuses everybody in turn, before becoming suspect himself, which unfortunately doesn't stop him. Steve Brand (Claude Akins) is the lone voice of reason, but to no avail. It is often said that "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street" is a reminder against what is sometimes referred to as the Second Red Scare (McCarthyism, and HUAC activities), but it's not another one of those tales that tells us there's really nothing at all to worry about. After all, there were real aliens trying to conquer earth, so it can also be interpreted as a warning against communism.
  • When something unexplainable happens, you'll point fingers at everyone. That's kinda what's happening on Maple Street.........

A mysterious power outage causes chaos on Maple Street. Everyone wants to know why and they start blaming everyone they can apply an oddity to…..

Everybody points a finger at anyone with a recently learned oddity. What do you have a ham radio for? Why are you so quick to accuse? Why are YOUR lights flickering on and off? Why did YOUR car start and not mine? Why did it start by itself?
    In a situation/ problem in which there is no apparent answer, you'll accuse everyone and anyone just to have some substance to stand on.

This episode really shows how fear is created and how it can rip groups of people apart. Fear can really get to you and cause a large amount of chaos. It really can get to people if they are all talking and put ideas in your head. For example, what Tommy said put the whole alien idea into people's heads. When all sense is abandoned, anything seems reasonable. Even the idea of alien agents is something that is accepted. It really shows how people will act in unfamiliar situations, and I think that if this situation really happened, the people will act just like the people in this episode. The episode really shows that man himself is his greatest enemy.
  • When Maple Street is hit with a mysterious blackout, the residents become convinced that aliens have invaded and are hiding among them. Soon the usually friendly residents start suspecting one another of being the alien and chaos erupts.

The trivia section for this episode mentions that a version of this episode's script appears in a seventh grade textbook. When I was in the seventh grade I remember reading that story in the mentioned textbook. That story sparked my interest in "The Twilight Zone" and I have been a fan ever since. One of the great things about "The Twilight Zone" is how many of its themes are always a reflection of the world and culture. This episode's theme of how easily neighbors can turn against one another is as true today as when this episode premiered. Excellent episode.
  • Internal Beasts

This is my favorate episode of all of The Twilight Zone. The name of the game is paranoia and the theme in this episode is about internal beasts. This story truely reflected the cold war times and is now applicable with our own.

What I love about this episode is it asks the question whether we're living a lie. The seting looks like any ordinary neighborhood, peaceful and quiet but all it takes to turn it into a warzone is basically just all random mysterous ocurances which of coruse cause people to point fingers at the other and come up with reasons whether that person is an enimy or not.

We see thoughout the episode the repressed evil natures of most of the people living in that neighborhood becoming exposed as others are begining to discover things they never knew about the other and react badly toward it. It's always a common fear and feeling because even though everyone may be living close together it doesn't mean everyone knows everyone fully, because whenever the sun goes down we always go home and do a lot of unseen things during that time, whether they good or bad things no one ever really knows.

In a way this episode makes us think about our own neighborhoods we live us, but most of all it puts a mirror in front of us asking about our own interal beasts we keep locked away, are we really good by nature and nurture or our we just lying to ourselves it.

Think there's nothing wrong with your neighborhood look carefully because there might be beasts lurking behind those closed doors.
  • One of the Very First ones Ive seen.

I love this episode! I ve seen it like a million times but it is still good!! This episode is where all the electric stuff goes out! (including the stuff with batteries whick is very weird) and then people lights were going on and off and all the other people were saying "well how come your lights are on and ours are not?" and they were getting mad at each other and got into a big fight but it turned out that aliens had landed near by and were turning there power on and off and was making them get mad at each other! that was the aliens plan the whole time!
  • One of my favorites!

"The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street" is probably one of teh most famous Twilight Zone episodes. It was genius! Pure genius! I never in a million years expected the ending. That was freaky! I've said it before and I'll say it again; Rod Serling was brilliant and way ahead of his time. This episode had a good moral to it too. I like the closing narrartion : "The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts... attitudes... prejudices. To be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is... that these things cannot be confined to... The Twilight Zone."
  • A community turns against each other when the lights go out.

This is a fine example of Rod Serling's ability to not only create a memorable story, but to also comment on society. Even in what seems to be the cosiest neighborhoods, the nature of man is to often turn against one another when there seems to be a slight reason to do so. Many people would argue that this is not true, that people are basically good, but we have seen throughout history that human beings often turn against each other when they begin to panic. It is a harsh reality that Serling helps bring to light in this episode.

As I have said, and will continue to say, Serling is a true genius that is not only creative but also perceptive as to the true nature of the world.
  • The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street has the best twist at the end and the most shocking end really great episode.

The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street is one of my favorite episodes of The Twilight Zone. The acting is great and the plot was really good. Also the episode was creepy and in some ways hit the nail on the head. I just love this episode and it is one of my personal favorites.
  • i think this was one of thegreatest movies evr done for this series of shows

this particluar show really showed me what rod serling had up his sleeve. I think that this was possibly his best episode exceot for in my humble opinion...takling tina. Also this show was an episode that kept me on the edge of my seat. Every minute i thought something differnt was going to happen or sopmeone was oging to get blamed for something that someone else did. There was just an attack on one person and then the next then the next then the next. Everyone was at eachotehrs throat trying to blame the other. They wanted to pass the blame onto the nest person.
  • An episode that show man's greatest enemies are fear and man himself.

An interesting story that begins simply, but then grows to a crescendo as the people on Maple Street give in to their own paranoia and fear, proving that mankind's worst enemy is himself. The episode showed in thiry minutes why things like the 1929 stock market crash could happen and how dictators get their people to do unspeakable things. Once a people are gripped by fear, the unspeakable happens, and things that were never thought probable happen, like murder and chaos.

This episode shows how fragile people are and how easily a community can turn against each other. Fear has been one of the top motivators of hatred and violent acts, and this episode shows how frail things like order and organization are, much like "Lord of the Flies" had done.

Anyone who has ever been in a building when the electrical power has gone out or in an office when the computer systems shut down can attest to the true domino effect that occurs just by simply changing small elements of comfort and "security".
    It truly does not take long for chaos to ensue, as this particular episode conveys.

• A story for our time

This exceptional episode exposes one of the most dangerous elements in human society. It also shows not only how this self-destructive disease harms us directly but also how authority figures use this against us to gain control over us.

Mr. Serling's unforgettable closing line will haunt anyone with a conscience and understanding.
  • Overrated.

5.9
    I thought this was rather long-winded and boring. It was also a bit preachy. Most of this episode just seemed to be filler until they could get to the end. The story didn't seem realistic, the acting was over the top. People panicked over seemingly nothing and jumped to ridiculous conclusions.
  • This Twilight Zone episode reveals the greatest monster of all, mankind's prejudice and fear of one another.

Of course like many people in America I heard about the classic show the Twilight Zone, but never saw an actual episode. So a few days ago I saw the Twilight Zone on DVD at a store and so I bought it to actually see it. One of the episodes on it was this one, The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street, and found out how good it was. This episode features aliens destroying an entire neighborhood, but with no killer death rays or mega doom robots, just the shutting off all electrical appliances in the little neighborhood and soon sit back and watch as all hell breaks loose. This episode just proves how bleak and fragile are society really is. The true irony of this episode is how the citizens of Maple Street don't even see the aliens and because of one boy's idiotic remark make the whole neighborhood turn against each other, to the point where they are killing each other in the street. Thus it shows that the real monsters of Maple Street are the people of Maple Street. This is probably the creepiest episode of Twilight Zone just because it could actually happen, aside from the aliens of course.
  • When a strange object flies overhead, everyone on Maple Street panics. Are there monsters? If there are, then who are they?

This is truely a classical episode of the Twilight Zone. This episode goes to show how humans can destroy each other out of panic.

When they believe that there is a family of martians living on their street, the people who live there begin to question everything. They point out everything suspicious about one another.

They even go so far as to murder someone. Once they realize that the man killed was not a monster, they go after the man who killed him.

The man throws accusations at someone else and then they go after him. Everyone is accusing each other. Soon after, everyone is attacking and killing each other.

In the distance we see the real martians. They had planted the seed of suspicion, and allowed the humans to kill each other. They knew that the humans would react that way, and sat back and watched it happen.

The real monsters on Maple Street were the humans.
WZME