The Twilight Zone

The Night of the Meek

Aired Unknown Dec 23, 1960 on CBS

• Spirit of Christmas

Sometimes episode based on a holiday don't always work, but this is one of those rare ones that actually work, and the fact that this is a Twilight Zone story makes it all the better.

I'll admit this episode gave me a good feeling it's sort of formated like a Capra picture. It at first starts out rather dark when we see Harry (played brilantly by the late great Art Carney) as a department store Santa who has had more than his share of rotten luck which has made him suffer a deep depression, and his cranky, greedy, and bitter boss adds even more weight on to it. Harry is trying to find the good in things again and of course he does when he finds a magical bag that gives out an endless amount of toys to whatever the child asks for. And of course Harry plays his role and does it very well, by giving the children what they desire and seeing the brightness in their faces makes him feel great. And of course we soon see that he actaually becomes Santa Claws in the end.

This is an episode about what Christmas should really be about as well as the power of believing in everything that is good. If you believe hard enough then good things will always happen and that's part of what Christmas is all about.
  • A down-on-his luck department store Santa turns out to be the real Santa Claus.

I first saw this episode when I was a child, back in the days before VCRs or TiVo. I was thrilled when I was able to get my own copy on DVD, for this is a favorite episode of mine. Quite simply, Art Carney's character, an unfortunate guy hired to play Santa Claus for a department store, ends up at the end being the real Santa Claus, and departs on his sleigh with elves and reindeer. He has to face adversity in the face of his bosses, of course, who are cranky, but good triumphs over cranky in the end. It is a magical episode, simply done, with actors making mistakes, but who cares? The Good Guy wins in the end. The department store Santa with a penchant for drink to drown his sorries is transformed into the real Santa, and he now has a mission. He's happy, and he'll make others happy, too. Rod Serling knew what he was doing back then. Twilight Zone was often disturbing or thought-provoking; this episode was uplifting and full of hope.
SYFY