The Twilight Zone

The Night of the Meek

Aired Unknown Dec 23, 1960 on CBS

• A down-on-his luck department store Santa turns out to be the real Santa Claus.

I first saw this episode when I was a child, back in the days before VCRs or TiVo. I was thrilled when I was able to get my own copy on DVD, for this is a favorite episode of mine. Quite simply, Art Carney's character, an unfortunate guy hired to play Santa Claus for a department store, ends up at the end being the real Santa Claus, and departs on his sleigh with elves and reindeer. He has to face adversity in the face of his bosses, of course, who are cranky, but good triumphs over cranky in the end. It is a magical episode, simply done, with actors making mistakes, but who cares? The Good Guy wins in the end. The department store Santa with a penchant for drink to drown his sorries is transformed into the real Santa, and he now has a mission. He's happy, and he'll make others happy, too. Rod Serling knew what he was doing back then. Twilight Zone was often disturbing or thought-provoking; this episode was uplifting and full of hope.