The Twilight Zone

The Parallel

Aired Unknown Mar 14, 1963 on CBS

7.8
  • Upon landing, an astronaut finds that the Earth to which he has returned is not the one he had left.

This was the first Twilight Zone I ever saw, the one that got me "hooked," so it's possible I'm a little biased here. It is very enjoyable, and is in my opinion one of the better, thought not the best, hour-long episode (see below). The premise is very interesting, and the actors all do a creditable job in their roles. In fairness, it's not the best episode. Had this not been the first one I saw, I would still like it, but I might not remember it as vividly. It's not even the best of the 18 hour-long installments (I would give "Death Ship" that honor), although I would rank it in the upper third of that subgroup. My chief complaint is that the protagonist's return to his own world is a bit contrived...he's just running toward his spacecraft and then finds himself back home. It's almost as if, when Serling was writing the script, he realized at the last moment, "Oops, gotta get him home somehow and still fit the twist in, and I've only got a little bit of screen time to do both." With that said, I still enjoy this episode every time that I see it. In the end, I suppose that's what watching is all about in the first place.
  • A major in the military returns back to earth after an orbital flight but is shocked to see that things have changed in his area.

6.1
    Interesting story but executed rathers slowly. I think this episode might have been better trimmed down to half hour. It was tedious to sit through the whole hour as the twists itself was revealed quite early.

They've done this episode about space time continuiums before but this one felt rather boring and flat.

The acting was decent but the story just doesn't quite have that impact as other episodes.
  • This was a good one.

This is one of the few episodes that I really like. It sort of reminds me of the film "The Other Side of the Sun". I wonder just "where" that other Earth was. I'd also like to know just what some of the differences that were found. I know that one of the major differences was the President, and speaking of that, I wonder if there were any other political differences.

For example, I once read a book where Aaron Burr did not enter into a duel with Alexander Hamilton, and went on to become President. I wonder if there were any differences like that, where a person "we" knew to have done one thing, but there they did something else.

In short, I like movies and television series and stories where the alternate version is looked at.
WZME