The Twilight Zone

The Parallel

Aired Unknown Mar 14, 1963 on CBS

7.8
  • Upon landing, an astronaut finds that the Earth to which he has returned is not the one he had left.

This was the first Twilight Zone I ever saw, the one that got me "hooked," so it's possible I'm a little biased here. It is very enjoyable, and is in my opinion one of the better, thought not the best, hour-long episode (see below). The premise is very interesting, and the actors all do a creditable job in their roles. In fairness, it's not the best episode. Had this not been the first one I saw, I would still like it, but I might not remember it as vividly. It's not even the best of the 18 hour-long installments (I would give "Death Ship" that honor), although I would rank it in the upper third of that subgroup. My chief complaint is that the protagonist's return to his own world is a bit contrived...he's just running toward his spacecraft and then finds himself back home. It's almost as if, when Serling was writing the script, he realized at the last moment, "Oops, gotta get him home somehow and still fit the twist in, and I've only got a little bit of screen time to do both." With that said, I still enjoy this episode every time that I see it. In the end, I suppose that's what watching is all about in the first place.
SYFY