The Twilight Zone

The Purple Testament

Aired Unknown Feb 12, 1960 on CBS

• I Have Been Watching Twilight Zone since I can Remember..It's Great, The awesome actors/actresses were always a slight surprise, never knew who would star in the next episode...

The PurPle Testament Is One Of My Alltime Favorites!!!It's A Purfect Specimen Of What The Twilight ZOne Is; A Secret Wish, Your worst nightmare, Everything you crave, All You'll Never Have..
    This Has Been The Most Constant As Far as entertainment, No Matter What My Mood The Twilight Zone Cures My Cravings.. You Never Know Who The Star OR Co-Star May Be..And No Matter How Many Times I've Seen each Episode They Are Just As Excellent.. I especially Liked This One (The Purple Testament) Because Of the War Theme..And The Fact That William Reynolds Was The Star..I Have Seen Alot Of Handsome Men From That decade But He Is JUst Too Beautiful!!!!
  • worse than death

This episode demonstrates graphically that there are indeed worse things than death. Imagine having to go through a battle campaign with a "gift" such as that of the main character here; at some point it would have to seem a relief to see your face light up in the mirror as well. The moment where the guy says "War stinks" (as he's going through the dead man's mementos) in one of my favorites from the series. Also a host of familiar faces in this one: Dick York (his 2nd TZ), Barney Phillips, Paul Mazursky and even Warren Oates in a cool cameo toward the end.

• Ominous premonitions of doom and disaster are commonplace on the battlefront but some are afflicted with the ability to see the mark of impending death on their fellow soldiers.

A soldier sees a glow around various comrades and each one he sees in this light get killed in battle shortly thereafter. Visions and premonitions are nothing strange to Rod Serling and certainly this episode is both well written and well acted. I will admit that this episode has a very sincere tone and is difficult for me to watch - it is absolutely chilling. There are clairvoyants and mediums who claim foresight but those who truly possess the gift/curse of seeing the future are very conflicted and cautious about their vision. This is a brilliantly conceived situation and Dick York plays the concerned soldier very well. It is amazing to see a comedic talent like York, who bumbled his way through “Bewitched” as Darren, give such an insightful performance. This is an excellent episode whose plausibility is part of what makes it so hard-hitting. Many years later “Mash” had an episode with a soldier whi realizes that noone can see him and eventually realizes that he has been killed - a slightly different take on the same theme.
  • not quite

This theme could be adopted to almost any war episode. Rod Serling served in the Phillippines and had nightmares about it. Too bad instead of telling as it was they had to drop to fictional foresight theme