The Twilight Zone

The Trade-Ins

Aired Unknown Apr 20, 1962 on CBS

7.8
  • Till death do us part

Beautiful episode. One must have their priorities.
  • "Old age should burn and rave at close of day"

One thing that occurred to me during this episode followed directly upon the salesman's statement that he was unable to extend the elderly couple credit because he was forbidden to do so by Government decree. How come no alternative methods of finance were considered? Would no other financial institution be permitted to offer them a loan? Was the Government decree all-encompassing? And, if so, why? I can't help but think that the Holts' monetary situation was deliberately contrived to squeeze in the usual heavy-handed moral message at the end of the episode.

I would've liked to have known some details of the re-bodying procedure, too. Would there have been some transfer of tissue? Brain tissue, perhaps? Or would there be some means of making a "quantum" recording of the patients' identities? If the latter, could they still be said to be the same people? A little exploration of this aspect would've been fascinating to me, addressing the very nature of consciousness.

I did laugh at some of the model titles, though. "Romping at the beach", indeed. And the old boy's comment at the lone male model on display, "Bachelor type". Now, I wonder what he meant by that? :P

Speaking of bachelors, if you would like to see a more thoughtful and interesting exploration of this story's central conceit, try John Frankenheimer's 1966 film, "Seconds".
WZME