The Twilight Zone

To Serve Man

Aired Unknown Mar 02, 1962 on CBS

• A linguistic lesson in thinking objectively

Let's say aliens came to Earth offering us everything. What could their motives be? In this classic episode of Rod Serling's Twilight Zone we are (as always) put into the shoes of the people in the alternate dimension who actually experience this, and along with them, we feel conflicted, on the one hand fearing we're "looking a gift horse in the mouth", while on the other, knowing full well that NOBODY'S motives are 100% pure.

When the alien representative leaves behind a book whose translated title is: "To Serve Man", the people in the episode -- as well as we ourselves -- interpret the word "serve" the way they want to? But of course there's another perfectly grammatical, unavoidably logical meaning of "serve"...What makes this such a classic is that this is the PRIMARY meaning of the word, the most basic one. Therefore, (as in all the other best episodes of The Twilight Zone) the message ends up crystal clear: think objectively, or pay the ultimate price. FANTASTIC Watch it again and see if you don't think it gets even better! Utterly believable, relentlessly possible -- this one's a series classic indeed.