The Twilight Zone

Where is Everybody?

Aired Unknown Oct 02, 1959 on CBS

7.8
  • An average guy begins to beleive his is the last man on earth.

This first episode of The Twilight Zone exhibits all the traits that would go on to make the show so great. We follow the hero of the episode (a man with amnesia) as he tries to figure out who and where he is. The great twist is that he cannot find anyone else to talk to. He is all alone. Slowly, the unnamed man begins to believe he is the last man on earth. Then, shocking events have him wonder if he is not alone, but being watched. The final twist to the story is a classic Twilight Zone ending. While the ending may seem somewhat dated, it ties up the story nicely. Overall, another classic episode that mixes curiosity and dread very effectively. I gave it 9.5 out of 10.
  • I adore this episode.

I absolutely adore this episode. I love how our main character goes into paronia and near insanity. The end has to be the best part when they take him and tell him next time it wnon't be an illusion and showing the possible consequences of space travel. Great episode showing how man can never survive loneliness.
  • a man wakes up to find he is all alone in a strange town

a really well written episode. even though there is only one person until the conclusion, the actor keeps the episode going and does not let it get boring. this episode was the first episode i have watched of the twilgith zone and because this episode was so good, i became a hugh fan of the series.
  • Watching

Great ending. The rest made sense after the ending. I'm an Air Force guy. Lived through the Cold War. I'm sure in THIS day and age, similar psych training is more realistic. Very insightful premise and good storytelling.
  • A great way to start off a classic series

Earl Holliman (who would later star with Angie Dickinson in "Police Woman") gives a fine performance as a man who can't figure out how he ended up in this small town where everyone seems to have gone on vacation. He is perplexed at first, then becomes terrified when he realizes he is completely alone but can't figure out why. I didn't realize that the commanding officer in the end later played Inspector Luger on "Barney Miller" until I had seen this episode a few times.
  • Exciting first show that indicates how this series will be.

An exciting beginning to one of the most creative and innovative television programs ever made. This episode strikes a chord because it taps into two of man's greatest fears: autophobia, which is the fear of being alone, and the paranoid feeling that somebody out there is watching us. The episode did an excellent job of creating that terrifying feeling of solitude and how a person can become psychologically unstable eventually in a situation such as this. His fear continues to grow, to escalate until he breaks down completely and cannot take any more.

And of course, we have that twist at the end that has been the staple of "The Twilight Zone". This episode would set the tone for the rest of the series.
  • Great pilot. A man who doesn't know who he is or even how he woke up in the morning finds himself in an empty town, and it doesn't take long for him to start to lose his mind.

This episode is really cool. This guy finds himself in an empty town and has no idea who he is, yet he manages to keep his cool for a surprisingly long time. But eventually he loses it and really needs to talk to people. It's really great acting too, considering that there is only one character for 95% of the episode, and he really does a great job. One of the coolest parts is when the man runs full speed into a mirror and it looks like he's running at the camera. A great twist at the end, and a great way to start one of the greatest mystery series ever.
  • Where Am I?

Is this an internet review? what's happening? where am i?

haha.

this episode kicked off a great series. I watched as the main character (let's call him Grange) graced the town with his solitary presence for a half hour. Actually, just a little bit less.

I liked when he almost locked himself in jail, but saved himself from locking himself at just the last second. Grange is a solid actor with a+ credentials and i get tired of wannabes putting on their Stanislavsky hats and dropping hitler references like a moustache salesman with a magic marker.

I think, hundreds of years from now tv experts will look back at this era and find it to be golden. This is back when it was cool at least pretend to try to have meaning. now, if someone tries to tell a story, they are immediately sequestered into some nonsensical interview where they drop a one-liner like Steven-Dwight drops french toast during the renaissance.

The phone booth was a welcomed blast from the past. I remember trying to call my sister collect from the bowling alley and she got all weird about because she was all drunk and her friends were having a burping contest. I smiled during this part.

Well, too bad none of us will ever see Grange again. In a way, he is forever locked in that episode, never to be let out. Never to pet a pop of Potter or outlie in Twilight or have a beer with Cheers or eat taterMash with Alan Alda. Sad sad fake reality for Grange.

I give this movie an 8.5, twas sightly.

• A man who doesn't know who he is or even how he woke up in the morning finds himself in an empty town, and it doesn't take long for him to start to lose his mind.

One of television's most rightly revered series, The Twilight Zone (CBS, 1959-64) stands as the role model for TV anthologies. Its trenchant sci-fi/fantasy parables explore humanity's hopes, despairs, prides and prejudices in metaphoric ways conventional drama cannot.
    Creator Rod Serling wrote the majority of the scripts, and produced those of such now-legendary writers as Richard Matheson and Charles Beaumont. The series featured such soon-to-be-famous actors as Robert Redford, William Shatner, Burt Reynolds, Robert Duvall, Dennis Hopper, Carol Burnett, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, Peter Falk and Bill Mumy, as well as such established stars as silent-film giant Buster Keaton, Art Carney, Mickey Rooney, Ida Lupino and John Carradine.
  • Locked In A Phonebooth With Myself

A solid beginning to this classic series that suffers from a bit of bad acting and a rather unconvincing ending. It's a brave choice to use only a single actor to carry the episode but it forces that actor to engage in a running monologue that becomes tedious as he yaps on about how much money he has in his pocket and so on. A better actor might have made the monologue seem less awkward or perhaps the script needed some tightening.

There are moments of brilliance to be found in this episode. The camera work is very, very good throughout this episode, in particular during the theatre scene, which is a tour de force of fear and paranoia. The shot of Ferris running into his reflection in the mirror is genius, suggesting the shattering of his own psyche as he is forced to confront the internal terror he feels at being left alone. The Bernard Herrmann score is, of course, very good, with a definite 'Vertigo' sound and feel ('Vertigo' had been released the year before this episode aired).
  • A man wanders in a deserted town with no memory of who he is or how he got there and starts questioning his sanity...

It is without a doubt a very special episode that marked the beginnings of the new television era. An era when entertainment met depth and when TV started looking into giving more than action or a few laughs to its audience but food for thought as well.

This is not the best episode of the show by far... the storytelling gets stale after about 10 mn and the outcome is outdated by a half century but it remains a classic in the format, in the genre and in the production and it is a must-see for anyone who ever enjoyed high-minded short stories.

This is real scifi, a genre that has been trashed for years, a bare storyline with no special effects that requires suspending your disbelief to learn a valuable lesson on human kind...
  • Good Pilot

A good way to start off the series. There is nothing especially startling about it, but the story comes full circle. There is probably too much explanation at the end of the episode, but as a pilot I enjoyed it.
  • Lame ending

I like the entire episode except for the ending explanation. So I feel it is just an average episode with nothing too much special. The strange town where the guy is located at is Hill Valley, California from "Back to the future." Also known as the Universal back lot.