The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat

CBS (ended 1997)

The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat Fan Reviews (3)

7.3
  • I'm Not 100% Sure Why, But I Like It

Even though this show is kind of strange, there's something about that makes me want to watch it more. Sure it might take a viewer more than once to fully understand a joke or two, but for some reason this show is so appealing that you'll be drawn to whatever you're watching it on.

Characters: 85% (B)

Pretty good revival of Felix the Cat

Plot: 80% (B-)

The plots are of some interest

Humor: 77% (C+)

The humor was decent

Voice Acting: 69% (D+)

The people that were in charge of this show weren't able to make up their minds about who they wanted to voice Felix, but at least they didn't choose someone annoying all the 2-3 times they changed it

Average: 77.75% (C+)
  • Wow. Just wow! What a weird, surreal, and cheesy show about a classic cartoon character. You know what the oddest thing is? I like it. :D

Ah, Felix the Cat has quite a history, doesn't he? First appearing in the 1919 film, Feline Follies (created by Pat Sullivan and Otto Messmer), Felix became the first cartoon superstar overnight, preceding Mickey Mouse, the Alice Comedies, and even Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. These films would prove to be very successful over the course of theroaring' 20's. However, the advent of sound cartoons diminished the cat's popularity, the last of the silent films released in 1930, before Pat Sullivan died.

A colored three-cartoon revival at Sullivan Studios in 1936 tried to revive Felix but that didn't work out well. Then in 1959, a TV series spawned Felix thanks to Otto Messmer's son, Tom Oriolo. This series brought forth some new characters like the Professor and Poindexter and a current staple of Felix animation: his magic yellow bag. That show actually lasted until 1963, so it was pretty successful. As dumb as it is, it's actually entertaining at times. Then the worst part of his history came out in 1988: his first motion picture (see Nostalgia Critic's or Andy Dickman's review to see why.) Then seven years later, this show.

Phew! Glad I got all that out of the way. Now this show uses some of the 60's elements (mainly the magic bag) and tried to reinvent Felix to be more like the way he was in the 20's: amischievousprankster of sorts. It also introduces new characters like hipster Sheba, simpleton Roscoe, and the villain Peking Duck (voiced by surprisingly Tony Jay!) who wants Felix's bag for his own evil doings.

After a few episodes on YouTube, I found myself really enjoying this show almost as much as I enjoy the silent era films. (key word is almost!) It's surreal and cheesy, but's a fun, good looking, well animated, and funny kind of cheese. There's a wonderful voice cast and I also love that this show combines the Messmer and even theFleischerstyle of animation to create something modern. They even got a jazz band to do the background music. Gold. Pure gold. I'm sad that I never saw this as a kid, but now I can enjoy itthanksto the magic of YouTube! I personally recommend this show to any Felix fan.

But just remember kids: nothing beats the classics! ;)

• A great show, bring it back.

This is truly a great show. I enjoy watching it over and over and over again. I can watch the same episode 2 or 3 times in a row just so I can catch things that I might have missed. I think I have all of the episodes recorded and I watch them whenever there is nothing good on TV. It is always entertaining to me. I will also have my friends and family watch the episodes with me and try and get them hooked. So far everyone has because it is that good of a show. Look for it on the air or come over to my house and watch my DVD's.