Show topic: Sexual abuse

caicedoandres1

[1]Feb 15, 2013
    • level: 1

I am writing this in the memory of my difunct grandmother: Florde Maria.

Hello Tyra,

I am a huge fan of yours and the work you do. Certainly I wish all the success to you and your loved ones.

I am writingthis because I wanted to share my family's dark past with you, in hopes to bring awareness on how damagin sexual abuse can be. And I would like this to be a subject for your talk show.

I am doing this not for me, but for my cousin Sara, who, for many years, was sexually abused by my uncle (her dad). The saddest part about it all is that the entire family knew what was happening, but they shamelessly turned a blind eye to the situation. I was a child too, and although I knew what was happening, I did not know how to stop it. Perhaps because, I too was a victim of sexual abuse, and did not know better.

The adults in the family simply did not care or wanted to challenge my uncle's autority in our closely knit family. The sexual abuse I witnessed, happened at my grandmother's house where my uncle also lived, and under my grandmother's watch. "Abue" (my grandma) was a wonderful woman, very religious, but someone who made mistakes and ultimately failed to protect us, specially my cousin Sara.

I am doing this also for my grandmother because I feel this is the only way in which she would forgive herself for all her neglect and for the many things she allowed to happen under her roof. My cousin Sara works as a part-time model in our native Colombian. I believe she is now 23. Although we recently reconnected through Facebook, we have not seen each othersince she was a child. She is a beautiful woman now, but no one outside our family knows she carries the unbanishing mark of rape.

I have not seen her in a long time, and want to mend things with her on behalf od my grandmother. I want to give her back the dignity she lost during so many years of sexual abuse. I simply cannot imagine what it must have been for Sara to overcome all this suffering.

I want and dream of my cousin being a top model, and to reach the heights that she has been deprived to reach. I know my grandmother is watching me from the heavens and is compelling me to write our story . I am certain Abue wants to be forgiven for her mistakes and desires healing for my cousin and the rest of our family.

This is probably a long shot in the dark, but we would be blessed if you could hear our story.

Thank you,

Andres

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HeatherFleshood

[2]Jan 6, 2014
    • level: 2
    Hello, I am so sorry that you and your cousin had to endure the abuse that many overlook. I too went thru many years of sexual abuse with my entire family turning a blind eye to it. They went on the motto that as long as you don't talk about it, then it didn't exist to them. I too wrote Tyra just a few hours ago in hopes that she would be able to get my word out and bring light to this horrible problem that we face. People need to see the reality of sexual abuse and how it affects us even years after it happened. It never goes away. I really hope that someone hears our stories and helps us. I pray for you and for your cousin to find some inner peace as I personally know how hard it is. I find it even hard to sleep without images waking me and then sticking with me throughout the day. God Bless You,
    Heather

I have attached what I wrote to Tyra below.

This man is a convicted child molester and has a outstanding warrant for his arrest. I am hoping that you can help me bring this story to light in an effort to get people to see the true reality of sexual predators. She knew about this back when it happened and she made me keep my mouth shut and he went free. Npw I am nearly 30 and have a pending case against him for this crime that happened when I was 12 years old. They are both living in Michigan and running from the law. I don't know what else to do to get the word out to help get him caught. Can you give me any suggestions? I have lived with all this for so many years and just recently found the support that I needed to give me the courage to take this case to court. The law is on my side and they have done a full investigation and know that it is all truth. There also are many witnesses to this case and also another victim. He was already in prison for the same crime and was on the sex offenders list when he was doing it to me. I just need a little help getting the word out so that we can get him back behind bars where he belongs. As you can also guess I am struggeling with knowing that my own mother chose to be with this man 15yrs. after he raped me. She flat out told me that she loved him more than me and is ok with not having me in her life. How does a mother do that? I really need your help Tyra. I come to you out of desperation for closer and understanding. I really want to help other people that have gone thru this as well as help myself heal over the lose of my mother. My bio father molested me from the time that I was 3-5yrs. old. My mother also covered that one up. My ex step uncle did it to me as well. I took him to court and he plead guilty right before we walked into the court room because we has so much evidence against him. My mother stood next to me thru that which is why I am having such a hard time understanding how she could do this to me
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.