Underdog Forums

NBC (ended 1967)

Ok, the movie was not THAT bad.

  • Avatar of Underdog121488

    Underdog121488

    [1]Feb 16, 2008
    • member since: 07/05/07
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,253

    I admit, there were a few things about the movie that got on my nerves. The #1 thing was Underdog having a master. That was just wrong, but well...its all we've got. And its better then nothing.

    It could have been made better, but honestly people have made it out to be much worse then it really is. I'm ecstatic that they even made an Underdog movie. He's my hero and he always will be. lol, I even dressed up like Underdog (complete with cape and dog ears) when I saw it in the theater.

    Yes, it would have been better if it had just been a flat out CGI cartoon, but think about it. If it had just been a cartoon, it wouldn't have been the same without Wally Cox as his voice.

    Personally, I give the movie an 8/10 because...well, its still Underdog. It may be a little different, but...its still Underdog.

    Edited on 02/16/2008 7:27pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [2]Feb 27, 2008
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897
    Underdog121488 wrote:

    It may be a little different, but...its still Underdog.

    It being called Underdog by corporate--i.e. UN Walt-like--"Disney" (that's controlled by people who spit on Walt's legacy & who've now made the mouse host a show for toddlers that talks down to the children just like most idiot shows nowadays do) does NOT make it Underdog.

    The very fact that so much of the show's premise has been altered--or completely butchered--makes it plainly clear that this movie was made in the same fashion most recent "remakes" have...that it was done to mooch off of an established iconic franchise, only to turn around and ruin said franchise by not sticking to the material like people who truly care about the franchise would do.

    When looking more in-depth at the film, the rap sucks, because rap--in itself--primarily sucks, IMO. Not only that, but the movie drastically altered the core premise of the show (giving Underdog a master when he needs no master, making all other animals--Polly included [although Underdog might not mind]--nude, making Riff-Raff into a pathethic rottweiler when he was designed to be a tough-as-nails wolfish ganster thug, nixing Underdog's patentedly loveable rhyming for a teeny-bopper/potty humor type of verbage, making the characters animals when they were supposed to be anthromorphic animal characterizations, ridding Underdog of his ability to actually speak with humans, etc.) and turned it into Hollywood B-list crap.

    Edited on 02/27/2008 11:00am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Underdog121488

    Underdog121488

    [3]Mar 1, 2008
    • member since: 07/05/07
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,253

    I don't disagree with anything you said...

    its just...chances are this is going to be the only Underdog movie (live-action or cartoon) that they will ever make. When I saw it in the theater, I was just grateful that there even WAS an Underdog movie. He's my hero and I had waited practically my whole life for him to have a movie.

    Sure it was kinda crappy, but you know what? Its all Underdog fans have. I'm just grateful that it happened at all. Underdog deserved a movie after all these years. And especially at a time when most people...well...have forgotten about him.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [4]Mar 5, 2008
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897
    :
    its just...chances are this is going to be the only Underdog movie (live-action or cartoon) that they will ever make. When I saw it in the theater, I was just grateful that there even WAS an Underdog movie. He's my hero and I had waited practically my whole life for him to have a movie
    Granted, I love the lil' pup as any fan could, but did his film HAVE to be made as JUST a way to mooch off of his legacy in order to merely make money and cater to a generation who has NO true idea who the character is and what he stands for (Hell, I showed my younger sister the original Underdog series, and she hated it, saying she loves the new-fangled, corporate suck-up version as opposed to the classically enjoyable original)?
    :
    Sure it was kinda crappy, but you know what? Its all Underdog fans have. I'm just grateful that it happened at all.
    Well, I do agree that UD needed exposure, but I still think that this film was the wrong way to go about it.
    :
    Underdog deserved a movie after all these years.
    True, but with times being as they are, I didn't want a movie of UD to be made, because cynical people now are too absorbed in potty humor jokes, despite political correctness (both of which should be taken in moderation, because sometimes, having an escape to a peaceful world is good & sometimes, one just needs a good laugh, but this film doesn't use that type of humor or the PC in the way they should be used [the humor was Simpsons quality grossness that was not funny & the PC just tried to gloss over everything and make everything perfectly happy when things weren't that way]).
    :
    And especially at a time when most people...well...have forgotten about him.
    Fans of UD haven't forgotten about him, to be sure. But considering all UD is-sadly-is a anthro dog-like version of Superman (with Polly as his Lois & Bar Sinister as his Luthor), UD hasn't really aged all that well, because even his inspiration has fallen on hard times recently (i.e. being cast amongst a sea of modern-day heroes who cast aside the traditional-admittedly overblown-hero beliefs for something a little more true-to-life).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Underdog121488

    Underdog121488

    [5]Mar 6, 2008
    • member since: 07/05/07
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,253

    I've never really gotten the Superman/Underdog comparison thing.

    To me, there are very few similarities between the two. The only ones I see are the colors of their costumes and the whole telephone booth thing. Other then that, they seem totally different. And Simon Barsinister is NOTHING like Lex Luthor, other then being evil. Really, i've never really even liked Superman, but I ADORE Underdog, so something's gotta be different.

    Anyway, I digress. There is NOTHING you've said about the movie that I disagree with! Its just...

    Underdog was (and still is, I guess) in very poor shape. I guess I thought when the movie first came out that it might somehow bring him back from the dead. Make him popular again. Maybe give him new life.

    But not even that happened. The Underdog movie was the very last we will ever see of him. The only way he can survive is in the hearts of his fans.

    I really do get too emotional about him sometimes...he is after all a cartoon character, but...it does make me cry just a little :''(

    If I ever succeed in my goal of becoming an animator, I am going to try my hardest to get the rights to Underdog. I may never succeed in that goal, but if I do, I SWEAR I am going to bring him back to his golden age! I don't care if I have to buy him back from Disney myself!

    Edited on 03/06/2008 12:11am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [6]Mar 6, 2008
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897
    Underdog121488 wrote:
    I really do get too emotional about him sometimes...he is after all a cartoon character, but...it does make me cry just a little :''(

    The same applies to me too, as I am a fan as well.

    On top of that, I am a fan of all of Henson's work and if it is any consolation, I'd like to work with Henson's team--Children Brian, Crystals, and Lisa, righthand man Frank Oz, and all the rest of the cast (Dave Goelz, Steve Whitmire, Jerry Nelson, Carrol Spinney, Kathy Mullen, Karen Prell, etc.)--to bring back the wonder that Jim instilled in his creations and bring said creations back from the limbo that the Mouse House placed them in. Which means that--if I were a part of the upcoming Fraggle Rock movie "remake"--the only change I would make is the addition of more modern devices from the human world for the Fraggles to interact with! ^_^

    :
    I SWEAR I am going to bring him back to his golden age! I don't care if I have to buy him back from Disney myself!
    Good luck!

    Edited on 03/06/2008 8:42pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dude6363

    dude6363

    [7]Mar 29, 2008
    • member since: 11/30/05
    • level: 60
    • rank: Grape Ape
    • posts: 1,827
    Sorry, that movie WAS that bad.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [8]Mar 29, 2008
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897
    dude6363 wrote:
    Sorry, that movie WAS that bad.
    I believe I did just mention that. But the good thing is that it brought UD back into the limelight when he was fading.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Underdog121488

    Underdog121488

    [9]Apr 1, 2008
    • member since: 07/05/07
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,253

    wwfpooh wrote:
    dude6363 wrote:
    Sorry, that movie WAS that bad.
    I believe I did just mention that. But the good thing is that it brought UD back into the limelight when he was fading.

    Yeah, but unfortunately it didn't help much. Particularly his image. People now remember the movie as opposed to the cartoon, so it didn't really bring him back at all. And horribly enough, a lot of kids now prefer the "new" Underdog to the old one.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [10]Apr 2, 2008
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897
    Underdog121488 wrote:

    And horribly enough, a lot of kids now prefer the "new" Underdog to the old one.

    Like my own sister, which sad enough, because I love the classics.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.