Underdog

NBC (ended 1967)

Underdog Fan Reviews (14)

7.9
  • "Theres no need to fear, Underdog is here"! By day, the mild mannered Shoeshineboy becomes the superheroic Underdog when the call for help goes out, usually from Sweet Polly Purebred. he fights villians like Simon Bar Sinister and Riff Raff.

Okay, I love Underdog. I admit it. Though it is a similar animation style to Bullwinkle, it was produced by a differant company. The humor is more subdued, and plots standard, but there is a simplicity to this character thats very appealing. For one thing, Wally Cox was born to be the voice of Underdog. Rarely has a voice talent been so perefectly married to a cartoon character. And I love the sing song dialogue of Underdogs. And while the villians are standard, I actually get a kick out of Riff Raff with his gangster duds and Sheldon Leonard-like voice. While Bullwinkle was a little more "out there", I actually preferred Underdog and its gentility. And I also liked the music, with its, "Underdog, Underdog....ahhhhhh...Underdog, Underdog!" I was somewhat disappionted that they made a live action movie rather than stick to the familar animation. But the TV series will always have a special place in my heart.