The Unit Forums

CBS (ended 2009)

A couple "unit" questions to those who are still here...

DC4MVP

[1]Feb 3, 2010
    • level: 2

1. In a few episodes, people refer to Bob and others as simply "sergeant" like INTO HELL pt. 2, Betsy says "Last time I checked, a 2nd lieutenant doesn't take orders from a sergeant" Bob is a level 7 pay grade and Betsy is fresh out of officer canidate school...do they have the cover of being sergeants or do they simply call anybody with a sergeant title (Master sergeant, Sergent Major, etc) simply sergeant.

2. Does Betsy even know that Jonas is in Special Forces?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

notfortoknow

[2]Mar 1, 2010
    • level: 2

Sergent is a generic term. and example would be Lt. Col. is called Col. I was a Sergent I didn't call my fellow soldiers Staff Sergent or Master Sergent, it's bad etiquette.Delta force units have the military ranks any other soldier has.

The difference is in the extra pay. Jump, hazardous duty etc. Just out of OCS, you ARE an officer, the line you refer to was dry humor.

In the military the person in charge may not necessarily be the highest rank.

Timewhisper

[3]Mar 7, 2010
    • level: 7
    notfortoknow wrote:

Sergent is a generic term. and example would be Lt. Col. is called Col. I was a Sergent I didn't call my fellow soldiers Staff Sergent or Master Sergent, it's bad etiquette.Delta force units have the military ranks any other soldier has.

The difference is in the extra pay. Jump, hazardous duty etc. Just out of OCS, you ARE an officer, the line you refer to was dry humor.

In the military the person in charge may not necessarily be the highest rank.

Would a Sergeant Major be called Sergeant or Sergeant Major?

Also, what situations would could the person with the highest rank not necessarily be in charge?

nightgod473

[4]Mar 10, 2010
    • level: 5
    Sergeant Major is called "Sergeant Major" and First Sergeant is "First Sergeant" (or "Top", as in "Top Dog", though this is more a term of affection, for lack of a better word-not every First Sergeant is a Top, but every Top is a First Sergeant). Both of those positions are command positions and they are given the full title out of respect for the work and dedication that got them to that post. The closest civilian equivalent I can think of off the top of my head is the difference between calling a college professor with a Bachelor's or Master's "Professor" while one with a Doctorate is called "Doctor". They've put in the extra time and dedication to earn that title.

As for when the person with the highest rank might not necessarily be in charge? When the mission dictates that the person with more experience will lead to the greatest chance of success. Or when a parent is talking to their child

And yes, I think it's reasonable to assume that Betsy knows exactly what her father does, if it's never directly said on the show (which I can't remember off hand if it is or isn't). Every other child over the age of 10 or so gives indications that they know who their fathers are and what they really do (with all the talk of maintaining secrecy to keep their family safe that goes on), I don't see any reason to assume that Betsy wouldn't have grown up in the same environment.