TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

The Unit Forums

CBS (ended 2009)

How long does it take to un-brainwash someone?

microbiologist

[1]Nov 17, 2007
    • level: 2

Hope this isn't too off-topic.

In one of the other threads, someone mentioned that Bob certainly did a great job un-brainwashing the reporter in less than 18 hours. A little unbelievable?

Does anyone on this Board have any knowledge of brainwashing techniques and de-programming? How long would it take, and would a Ranger do the work, or a trained shrink?

I reada little about de-programming people out of cults, and I'm pretty certain it takes many days, and a lot of supervision after the de-programming to prevent recidivism.

Another question--what is the meaning of the term "Stockholmed" and where did this word come from?

One more question--do you all think that people (reporters, soldiers, missionaries, etc.) who are captured by the terrorists are brainwashed, and that we don't see these people until they have been re-programmed?

Thanks.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Catherine080379

[2]Nov 17, 2007
    • level: 7
    Stockholm syndrome is when a kidnapped person begins to identify with their captor and possibly even falls in love with them. Where it came from I don't know, I assume Stockholm, Sweden. I think the amount of time it takes to unbrainwash someone depends on the person, how long they were being held, and a variety of other factors but I don't know for sure.

J911

[3]Nov 17, 2007
    • level: 1
    Stockholm syndrome is a psychological response sometimes seen in an abducted hostage, in which the hostage shows signs of loyalty to the hostage-taker, regardless of the danger (or at least risk) in which the hostage has been placed. Stockholm syndrome is also sometimes discussed in reference to other situations with similar tensions, such as battered person syndrome, rape cases, child abuse cases. The syndrome is named after the Norrmalmstorg robbery of Kreditbanken at Norrmalmstorg, Stockholm, Sweden, in which the bank robbers held bank employees hostage. Hope this helps.

b1bomberdude

[4]Nov 19, 2007
    • level: 2
    microbiologist wrote:

Hope this isn't too off-topic.

In one of the other threads, someone mentioned that Bob certainly did a great job un-brainwashing the reporter in less than 18 hours. A little unbelievable?

Does anyone on this Board have any knowledge of brainwashing techniques and de-programming? How long would it take, and would a Ranger do the work, or a trained shrink?

I reada little about de-programming people out of cults, and I'm pretty certain it takes many days, and a lot of supervision after the de-programming to prevent recidivism.

Another question--what is the meaning of the term "Stockholmed" and where did this word come from?

One more question--do you all think that people (reporters, soldiers, missionaries, etc.) who are captured by the terrorists are brainwashed, and that we don't see these people until they have been re-programmed?

Thanks.

This timeframe is definately not unbelievable, and it does not take many days. Having a "ranger" do the work or a trained shrink do it is moot as the Unit members arent your ordinary ranger. There are many many schools/courses people assigned to units like this go through, that you will and have no need to hear about.
    SERE training for one.....everyone breaks...(trust me)and the people doing the breaking are military members also, trained very heavily in physchological warfare, and to think we dont utilize these experts in this warfare against our foes is rediculous.. Everyone breaks, and a lot quicker than you think.