The Unit Forums

CBS (ended 2009)

I mean, really, WHY?

jaesunsk

[1]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 5

been thinking about it for awhile. Why really kill off hector?

Unless he had an engagement to go do another job, another show, movie, etc., I do not see a valid, rational reasoning for taking him out of the show.

He had to leave the show for his personal reasons? do another movie/show? That fine, but why not give him more respect and a better way of leaving the show?

Play out the relationship with the girl, get married, and decide that the Unit is no longer what he wants, and leaves the show.

Make him die in a better manner even? Sacrifices himself for another team member, dies saving lives of many others.

it just seems like a cop-out and a poor attempt to generate more ratings to the show. at the very end, a sniper gets him, and thats the end of that? come on.

i really think its a poor way of executing the script for whatever reason they may have. I can maybe understand they need to spice it up and that he be the easy target to "die" to generate ratings, or whatever they wanted. So many characters and trying to give all the characters more depth with more stories into all their lives. Just with the recent episodes and putting his life in the spotlight was starting to make the show better, to know the other characters. and then this happens before you even get that chance.

if they bring in another character, i feel bad for him. because i will always feel that hector should be in the show, and i will, in the back of my mind, not like the new guy.

i just really feel it was a bad direction they took the show.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sevenalive

[2]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 1
    That episode kicked ass and the ending, i jumped out of my seat when he got shot.

Dude u need a reality check? That shot was freaking real as it gets. When your in a war zone, you don't know when your safe, and they all thought they were safe. i think that was an excellent script decision just based on the shock and awe and the reality of it.

Ya we are gonna miss hector and its sad. This show totally kicks ass and i am 100% happy with it.

amg503

[3]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 3

[QUOTE="sevenalive"]Dude u need a reality check? That shot was freaking real as it gets. When your in a war zone, you don't know when your safe, and they all thought they were safe. i think that was an excellent script decision just based on the shock and awe and the reality of it.QUOTE]

Yeah, but this isn't real life. It's a T.V. show. With a real war going on, I think a lot of people want to see these invincible heroes, who always (at least partially) succeed and never suffer a close loss. I jumped out of my seat when he died. I don't understand why it happened, what the reasoning was, but it sucks, and will suck more if it turns out that it's the producers decision, instead of the actors, to leave. The one thing that confuses me, along with most of the rest of the people on this forum, is why they would show him discovering Ryan & Tiff, then being killed in the next episode? I don't get it.

elq99

[4]Nov 7, 2007
    Yeah I agree that it just doesn't pan out. Yeah, crap happens, and that "it's a war" and what not, but it really doesn't make sense that they were bottled up in some families home, trying to operate on a fellow comrade, separate trying to find a way out, end up getting in a firefight, practically run outta ammo, only for a truck full of marines show up outta nowhere, that really didn't do anything (nothing against marines...just saying they were no were near when all the previously mentioned battle was going on) everyone gets in...happy ending...and boom...Hector's dead. Not saying that it doesn't happen like that, and like I said before, it's not to diss anyone...especially those that are brave enough to serve, but it just seemed kinda like wth, and it made it seem like the writers just found a way to push of the whole Col Ryan/Tiffany situation longer...and now that I kinda think about it, why didn't the sniper aim for the guy holding the sat phone (Jonas), if he had been watching, and seem Jonas leading his men and calling in the sat phone, wouldn't that of made more sense. I dunno...maybe I'm just babbling, and don't know what I'm talking about, just seemed like they wasted a decent character in Hector.
    Edited on 11/07/2007 4:12am

Katie_89_07

[5]Nov 7, 2007
    elq99 wrote:
    Yeah I agree that it just doesn't pan out. Yeah, crap happens, and that "it's a war" and what not, but it really doesn't make sense that they were bottled up in some families home, trying to operate on a fellow comrade, separate trying to find a way out, end up getting in a firefight, practically run outta ammo, only for a truck full of marines show up outta nowhere, that really didn't do anything (nothing against marines...just saying they were no were near when all the previously mentioned battle was going on) everyone gets in...happy ending...and boom...Hector's dead. Not saying that it doesn't happen like that, and like I said before, it's not to diss anyone...especially those that are brave enough to serve, but it just seemed kinda like wth, and it made it seem like the writers just found a way to push of the whole Col Ryan/Tiffany situation longer...and now that I kinda think about it, why didn't the sniper aim for the guy holding the sat phone (Jonas), if he had been watching, and seem Jonas leading his men and calling in the sat phone, wouldn't that of made more sense. I dunno...maybe I'm just babbling, and don't know what I'm talking about, just seemed like they wasted a decent character in Hector.

Yeah I was wondering why Hector? I mean I don't want to dis anyone or anything, but he was toward the back of the vehicle, you know? But it happened.

Catherine080379

[6]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 7
    He was sitting in the middle, with those trucks you can't see the people on the sides but he was sitting in the middle on the gond which meant he was in full view if the sniper and as Grey was laying down he was blocked too so the only one the sniper could see was Hector.
    Edited on 11/07/2007 10:55am

jaesunsk

[7]Nov 7, 2007
    sevenalive wrote:
    That episode kicked ass and the ending, i jumped out of my seat when he got shot.

Dude u need a reality check? That shot was freaking real as it gets. When your in a war zone, you don't know when your safe, and they all thought they were safe. i think that was an excellent script decision just based on the shock and awe and the reality of it.

Ya we are gonna miss hector and its sad. This show totally kicks ass and i am 100% happy with it.

i never disputed the "realness" factor of it. I'm disputing the decision made by the writers to have hector go out the way he did, especially considering all the other factors of the show and its direction. i don't always expect people to live throughout the whole thing (the other show i watch regularly is 24, which has people die all the time). i just think it was a bad way to implement his death, whether by the show's decision or Demore Barnes' decision (whether to leave the show for whatever reason). Show could have gone alot deeper into their lives, but cut it short on Hector's. As much of a 'shock and awe' as it was, I don't watch the show for twists and turns (as I watch 24 for that reason). I like seeing both sides of the story, the families, the drama, mixed in with the action on the war front. Hell, last season's finale and this season's premier was done nicely. But that is just my opinion.

GOATBEATER

[8]Nov 7, 2007
    AMEN

ltcomstella

[9]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 18

well i think i got that one wrong

who the hell rights this crap i mean what was the point in introducing hector to a possible romance then bump him off in the next ep???? i can't believe the COP OUT they used to kill him, a sniper ff's, the area was 'secure' army / marines around and hector gets it ???? blooming ridiculous IMO .

to me col ryan ordered the hit no other explantion for it as, and heres my thinking,

ryan sent them to extract the reporter, in a remote unfriendly place, they just happened to get boxed in, and the helicopter was taken out, all the attackers had ak47's/ smg / mp4 or similar not rifles/scopes and if there was a sniper hiding he would have shot more than one person and done it alot sooner. ie taken out jonas or the leader of the marines.

also i hate these types of writers and producers as others have said the ratings will suffer a lil bit but there wont be a replacement as it would be suicide for them to effectively repeat the first season, i will still watch but i'm not going to enjoy it as much, i feel the pattern of all tv is never going to change, stargate series suffered the same fate as they seem to have a liking for killing off all the lead medics, sg1 and atlantis..why god why ??!!

Laserwolf412_XL

[10]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 4

This is really the only show that I watch where I dislike all the characters or at least almost all of them. I feel roughly the same way about Lost, but this show's BS Bravado gives it top honors between the two. However I am extremely glad they killed off Hector and in exactly the way they did. Nothing makes me keep watching like the possibility of a main character dying off randomly. I'm glad about it even though Hector and Charles are the only 2 characters I actually like. Same reason I enjoyed Buffy and Angel, as well as Firefly, BSG, The Sopranos, and now The Unit slightly more.

Now if they could just ignore the wives and stop with the fast paced Gung-Ho Military Slang back and forth the show might have some substance.

supernaturalhot

[11]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 6
    Ever think that the writers, who have given us an excellent show for the most part up until now actually may have reasons and further plot points behind Hector's death? And I agree it was a hard way to see Hector go out, but it's the reality of the situation. I mean sure, some would say that it's not reality and that they want to maintain the illusion that these men are perfect, but I think in fact that if one of the unit was not killed in battle, after some time, viewers would find it unrealistic and would stop watching. The reality is that they go into these situations day after day and they are skilled and very lucky that they come out unscathed as often as they do. I for one, will stay tuned and see how it plays out, I haven't been let down by this show yet.

Katie_89_07

[12]Nov 7, 2007
    I understand that it would be pretty unrealistic to not have one of the characters die eventually. In fact, I was thinking that a couple weeks ago (I didn't learn that someone was going to die until last week). But I personally still didn't want anyone to die, but I guess what happens, happens. For some reason, I think there is more behind Hector's death than meets the eye. I could be wrong, but with me and my crazy conspiracies you never know.

Like I've said a million times, I can't wait until next week to see how they deal with Hector's death and watch Jonas kick some butt (I just hope it won't be a let down).

microbiologist

[13]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 2

I think that sadly, lots of soldiers and sailors and pilots die unheroically in a war.Yes, they are all heroes for serving their country and making the Ultimate Sacrifice. But if I were the mother or wife of a soldier, I would rather hear that he died "saving ten soldiers" or "while capturing an enemy" rather than hearing, "he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time." If a young man or woman has to die in a war, we would rather they die in a heroic act rather than just getting shot.

sfviewer

[14]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 27
    is it possible that demores barnes is leaving the show so they killed the character of hector?
    Edited on 11/08/2007 10:52am

Fwirrel

[15]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 52
    I think killing Hector was necessary. Whether or not the actor was planning to leave, I don't know, but whatever reason they had it was the right choice. This show is a show about black ops soldiers and soldiers die. It would be ridiculus not to have any characters die. Honeslty, I like when the writers kill off characters because it adds more emotion and more story lines and it also makes it more realistic. I hate watching shows when the characters are put in harms way every episode and I know none of them will ever die. It's annoying. I really liked Hector, but I think it does more for the show to kill him.

Vikes_Bolts1228

[16]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 3
    ltcomstella wrote:

well i think i got that one wrong

who the hell rights this crap i mean what was the point in introducing hector to a possible romance then bump him off in the next ep???? i can't believe the COP OUT they used to kill him, a sniper ff's, the area was 'secure' army / marines around and hector gets it ???? blooming ridiculous IMO .

to me col ryan ordered the hit no other explantion for it as, and heres my thinking,

ryan sent them to extract the reporter, in a remote unfriendly place, they just happened to get boxed in, and the helicopter was taken out, all the attackers had ak47's/ smg / mp4 or similar not rifles/scopes and if there was a sniper hiding he would have shot more than one person and done it alot sooner. ie taken out jonas or the leader of the marines.

also i hate these types of writers and producers as others have said the ratings will suffer a lil bit but there wont be a replacement as it would be suicide for them to effectively repeat the first season, i will still watch but i'm not going to enjoy it as much, i feel the pattern of all tv is never going to change, stargate series suffered the same fate as they seem to have a liking for killing off all the lead medics, sg1 and atlantis..why god why ??!!

1. Isn't that the point of a sniper? To hide and make the enemy think he's not there? Tons of deaths in many wars are accounted to sniper fire. No area is secure. There is always someone watching.It's not a cop out, it's real life.

2. This isn't the Sopranos. How many situations have they been in like this during the shows run and got out without a scratch? Why would they shoot Jonas or the top ranking Marine...please know that in the middle of a combat zone, all of the uniforms are the same and don't mark the higher ranking soldier so Mr. Hezzbola sniper could not tell whos the higher ranking offical. Every other soldier was either setting a perimator or in the truck, Hector was sitting right in the middle of the truck without a weapon. If I was a sniper, I would take out the least suspecting person who is caring for the wounded. Snipers can't shoot, cock and new bullet in the chamber, find a new target, adjust for the wind, the earth's rotation in a mere 5 seconds. It's not a video game, it real life. It takes time inbetween shots. If he rushed his shot and missed, it's a dead give away for soldiers looking out for him.

3. Why would Alpha team remain with four when it opperated with a crew of five for many years? In REAL LIFE, if a soldier is KIA, WIA, or MIA, they replace him...I could bet that Brown replaced someone.

Dennis Haysbert aka. Jonas Blane was interviewed on a local radio station in Minnesota (92KQRS) for their morning show. Dennis said that according to Eric L. Haney (the consultant to the show and former Special Ops operator) that it is very very rare that a Special Ops squad does not have a casuality.

Someone had to die. It's much to unrealistic to have no casualties. Hector is the only one that made sense. He just saw the affair between Ryan andTiffy and was probably scared to death. Now we can see how Ryan handles William's death. Will he be glad? Distraught? Or a mix of both.

If ya'll want fantasy, go watch something else. If you want real life encounters....watch the Unit. The writers did great. Didn't everyone think that Grey was going to be the one to die? I sure did. I thought they were safe once they were in the truck. Nope. I was honestly sick of seeing them get out of all of these almost impossible situations without no more than a small wound.

Edited on 11/08/2007 10:48pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Catherine080379

[17]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 7
    Very well said.

stormlifter

[18]Nov 8, 2007
    Laserwolf412_XL wrote:

Now if they could just ignore the wives and stop with the fast paced Gung-Ho Military Slang back and forth the show might have some substance.

More substance if they cut the part of the show that makes it unique? Silly. Honestly, the dual plot lines and the military banter all add to what is The Unit, you take that out and its just another action show. I mean, the banter is fun, for me it makes me feel like they're believable.

IanHaze

[19]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 6

Dunno why, but I didn't feel like Hector was really a part of the unit, he always looked like some kind of extra...

Maybe they just need a different character to spice things up a bit, and why kill off one of the more developed characters when theres Hector, whos only development lately was that he dated someone.

I think it's a good thing, ye can't have the same team doing the same thing over and over, dun tell me none of you didn't get bored with the A-Team. I hope they shift their duties aswell (though I wouldn't know to WHAT), just for some variation.

stormlifter

[20]Nov 8, 2007
    Excellent post Vikes. I love this show and I can see you do too. A gruesome episode. I thought for sure if anyone was to die that episode it was Blue, but... just as I said, "WoW, that was the closest The Unit has ever come to killing a member" BOOOM!

What a shocker.