The Unit Forums

CBS (ended 2009)

Official Episode Discussion:"Unknown Soldier"(Spoilers)

What did you think?

danharr

[1]May 10, 2009
    • level: 45
    The season finale lots of build up hope it's great!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gregorSLO18

[2]May 10, 2009
    • level: 11
    Hope that s not end of The unit.

Bolivar71

[3]May 10, 2009
    • level: 2
    Great season final show. Snake Doc figured out ground zero was DC just keeps the twists coming. It was Brilliant to be Arlington National Cemetery with the fresh dug grave to give access to the bottom of the car. Loved it Sam turned out to be a good guy and was wrong about Red Cap being the mole. Red Hat is playing it a little hard on Sam since he was under orders. Looked like the President send an air strike on Hugo Chavez at the end of the show. Only problem was that Molly was the only cliff hanger for next season so I hope the show comes back next year. If not The Unit was a good series and I will miss it.

nynaevelan

[4]May 10, 2009
    • level: 8

First let me say Roo did you see that TU commercial that says Bring It On? That phrase always gives me good thoughts of you.Second an Allstate ad at the beginning of the epi and at the end, does it get better than that?? Now on to the epi...

The Mission :That was very nice when Carlito was saying his vows when he was disarming the bomb, it leads me to believe that he definitely loves Joss. I do not like how she was thrown in our faces, but I am willing to ride this road to see where it leads.The playa has been taken down, but I do not want Jonas to take over the vacated playa role. Talk about another adrenaline driven episode, it was as if the entire season was filler to lead up to this moment and as much as I've disliked a lot in some of the episodes and hated this season long story arc, this conclusion was awesome.For a second there I thought DirtDiver had missed the driver but silly me, I should have known he was not going to miss.I knew Ryan was the one who inadvertently brought in the terrorists, but the Venezuela failed mission, was that the one from Non-Permissive Environment?I will have to rewatch all my epi's to get me through the lonnnnggg summer.This is the third time a mission has come back to bite them in the a$$, what happened to them being top secret?How are all these enemies finding them?While I was glad there was no mole that was a major let down because it still does not explain how Drake and Company knew all this info.But I must say this confirms for me Ryan needed to leave TUand move on to something else. I am glad he did the honorable thing and took the General's stars and I am looking forward to how his role will affect TU next season and very intrigued who will be leading TU from now on, any guesses??While I can respect WL's attempt at an apology to RC, like she said it is not sufficient. And yes he earned back some brownie points by trying to push the car to save Jonas, but that is not enough to justify hurting Bridgett.

The Wedding/Reunion: It was heart wrenching and sweet to see, the only dark spot for me was the absence of Molly. Even with the problems she is facing it is VERY out of character for her not to be there. And there has been a lot of posts this week that Jonas has not shown his love for Molly enough.I do not think there should be any doubt any more as to his love for her and the regrets he is facing. Big D did a wonderful job of showing how much he is hurting over this.I have NO DOUBT he will be using this summer to use his powers of persuasion to get his wife back. In the meantime Iam sending all my love to him to help him cope with her loss (insert a deep hearfelt hug around Jonas here). One minor detail with this episode, the reunion of the Browns with their children was very disappointing, I expected this to be a tear jerker moment, and I didn't even bat an eyelash.

Ok: Brownie points for the person who names the artist and song playing during the wedding…And while I am on the subject of music, props to Robert Duncan for all the adrenaline pumping music in the background during the missions.

Well ladies and gentlemen I do not know if this was the season finale or the series finale but if this should happen to be the end for us, I have enjoyed my time here with you all and as Jonas has said: IT'S BEEN A H E L L OF A RIDE!!!! We have seen the addition of two new members, each accompanied by some controversy and eventful conversations as to their fitness to be included and the addition of a new unit wife with the possible exit of another. This has been an eventful and enjoyable season and I thank you for sharing your time with me.But I am still confident we will meet again for Season 5. Now that the season is over (insert heart wrenching tears here), I must try to spend the week decompressing from this episode and then begin my process of fighting off TU withdrawal symptoms by spending my Summer Sunday nights re-watching all four seasons as well as some Big D movies.Now it is time for the dreaded wait for D-Day on May 20 th . I will talk with you some of you this summer and look forward to discussing the episodes of Season 5 in September.

Signing off for the last time for Season 4, all future posts will be post-Season4.

~~Nyn

danharr

[5]May 10, 2009
    • level: 45
    Good finale wrapped up everything perfectly Whiplash and Redcap are official now no doubt about their allegiance and Ryan is now a general and no longer commanding the unit. Wonder who will run it has to be someone from the outside Jonas and crew we want in the field not behind a desk. Grey was awesome reading his vows during the bomb disarming. Can't wait to see what will happen with Molly and Jonas hope the show will be back next year.

Pleasegod

[6]May 11, 2009

Bolivar71 wrote:
    Looked like the President send an air strike on Hugo Chavez at the end of the show.

That wasn't Hugo Chavez

naigerrard

[7]May 11, 2009
    The failed mission that they are talking about was the mission where they were sent to take out the Oil Minister and he knew about it. Jonas was with the Latin lady who was killed in the mission. Non-Permissive Environment was the one when they were in Spain and the mission was scrubbed after they had killed their target.

All in all it was a pretty good episode. The one thing that I hate is how they build up the episode to a huge climax and the end doesn't meet the rest of the episode. I do feel Molly is being a real hypocrite about this whole thing. She has put herself in as much danger as the Col by asking her to get close to that lady. As far as Grey and Jos, I am still not sold on her. I am very skeptical of her and I just can not put my finger on it.

As far as the new CO of TU, I think it may be a big surprise. I am hoping for the drill sgt from Full Metal Jacket. Also, I do have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more of Gen. Ryan in the future. As shady as he was, I loved his character.

ltcomstella

[8]May 11, 2009
    • level: 18

nice ep

how could anyone see ryans past failure as the cause for all this ????

i was expecting redcap to at least take a swing at sam or him asking her to hit him only fair !

shame molly packed her bags and left though since joss and her didn't see eye to eye since molly didn't warn her about the security ruleing and would be a bit odd being with jonas after her speech.

they glossed over jonas's exposure to radiation totally would of thought there would be some repercussions or maybe that will come later.

don't see why if tom gets promoted he can't lead the unit, though methinks the new guy will be by the book,

and why didn't the car blow up at the end ? surely the trigger mech would go off as grey said just wouldn't hit the uranium?? true the location wasn't suitable but easily done on a back lot somewhere's

then the pathetic anti climax of congrats and thanks

nice 'small wedding' mac looked alot healthier

and why was joss on her own surely the over protective old guy would of given her away ??

and who the heck where the couple at the back ?? never seen them b4 sat near sam

and the missed target was president ortease of venasuaila (can't spell em ) and the oil minister was blown up in a car bomb soon after the failed hit.

Edited on 05/11/2009 8:26am

Artad

[9]May 11, 2009
    • level: 7
    Unfortunately I have a nasty feeling that they used this episode to wrap up TU

Unlike previous season finales this one didn't have the cliff hanger ending that others have had, it all sort of wrapped up nicely.

I do think that the season has been one heck of a roller coaster, the story arc has been great and I have been looking forward to each episode with a lot of anticipation. I would be really sad and unhappy to discover this was the end of the unit.

I am glad that Charles got married tho, Joss is a nice girl and I think they deserve each other.

If we do get to next season then there are a couple of things for sure.

Jonas would never be given the command of the unit, as we have seen this role is for a bird colonel, something Jonas couldn't be promoted to with such ease. If we do get a 5th season we would be introduced to a new CO, perhaps someone not from an SF background who causes initial unease for the operators, someone who may not perhaps last the season. As far as Alpha team go, Jonas loves his job and his wife but I really think his job means just that little bit more to him than Molly.

Finally I have to say that if this show gets cancelled I think it's probably one of the worst decisions made by a production company, even with it's Sunday spot the show has done well, I know that a lot of my friends love it and we would all miss it.

AccipiterQ

[10]May 11, 2009
    • level: 1
    Soldier's Lament by Sonya Kitchell was the song at the end

nynaevelan

[11]May 11, 2009
    • level: 8

Artad wrote:
    Unfortunately I have a nasty feeling that they used this episode to wrap up TU Unlike previous season finales this one didn't have the cliff hanger ending that others have had, it all sort of wrapped up nicely. I do think that the season has been one heck of a roller coaster, the story arc has been great and I have been looking forward to each episode with a lot of anticipation. I would be really sad and unhappy to discover this was the end of the unit. I am glad that Charles got married tho, Joss is a nice girl and I think they deserve each other. If we do get to next season then there are a couple of things for sure. Jonas would never be given the command of the unit, as we have seen this role is for a bird colonel, something Jonas couldn't be promoted to with such ease. If we do get a 5th season we would be introduced to a new CO, perhaps someone not from an SF background who causes initial unease for the operators, someone who may not perhaps last the season. As far as Alpha team go, Jonas loves his job and his wife but I really think his job means just that little bit more to him than Molly. Finally I have to say that if this show gets cancelled I think it's probably one of the worst decisions made by a production company, even with it's Sunday spot the show has done well, I know that a lot of my friends love it and we would all miss it.

I disagree with you, Season 1 had a semi-lackluster season ender. A kind of "just in case" cliffhanger with Mack leaving TU and who was/was not shot at Ryan's reception. Unfortunately this is another one of those situations where it could be a season or series finale.

Nyn

masteroffan

[12]May 11, 2009
    • level: 5

Watched the season finale last night on CBS Network and kept waiting for the actors names to come up and who Directed this episode during the episode. BUT IT NEVER HAPPENED!!! Was this originally supposed to be a 2 hour finale and got split up over 2 weeks and they just forgot to put the credits during the show? If this is the last episode ever of The UNIT that would be an awful way to go out.

I thought the Season finale was good. Wrapped up a lot of storylines this season. I would keep Whiplash and make him a regular, but I would put that woman in jeopardy next season by the Governments of Iran and the US because I can't recall them wrapping up the storyline about her letting them go into Iran. If Ryan comes back next season he could cause problems for the new guy that is replacing him. But I think they have to have Jonas and his wife get back together at some point like Tif and Mac.

GohanSSJZ

[13]May 11, 2009
    • level: 13
    Artad wrote:
    Jonas would never be given the command of the unit, as we have seen this role is for a bird colonel, something Jonas couldn't be promoted to with such ease.

I don't know how fast ranks can possibly go in the US military, but with him holding the highest sergeant rank possible for him and basically being the "top dog" within the enlisted ranks of the Unit, i'd say he would be able to move up extremely quick, not to mention that he knows more about the operation then most others, he has the respect from the soldiers there and he has lots of friends in high place. My guess is that if he had wanted to he would have been a Colonel by now if he took a different path.

knownote

[14]May 11, 2009
    • level: 3
    Pleasegod wrote:

Bolivar71 wrote:
    Looked like the President send an air strike on Hugo Chavez at the end of the show.

That wasn't Hugo Chavez

They used a different name, but it was obvisouly an allusion to Chavez.

Joe

Artad

[15]May 11, 2009
    • level: 7

GohanSSJZ wrote:
    Artad wrote:
    Jonas would never be given the command of the unit, as we have seen this role is for a bird colonel, something Jonas couldn't be promoted to with such ease.
    I don't know how fast ranks can possibly go in the US military, but with him holding the highest sergeant rank possible for him and basically being the "top dog" within the enlisted ranks of the Unit, i'd say he would be able to move up extremely quick, not to mention that he knows more about the operation then most others, he has the respect from the soldiers there and he has lots of friends in high place. My guess is that if he had wanted to he would have been a Colonel by now if he took a different path.

I don't know how it works in the US military either, how it works in the British Army tho is that a senior enlisted man who get's promoted into a commission usually starts out as a 2nd Lt and then get's promoted up through the ranks, it normally happens that the person doesn't get above the rank of Major, of course occasionally you will get someone going all the way (in the past there have been those who have gone up through the ranks to Field Marshall (equivilent of a 5* General)).

I know that a US Military Officer has a certain amount of time that needs to be served before being eligible for being promoted to the next rank, you will have those who are fast tracked for promotion but they will still have to have a certain amount of time in that rank (they have to do war collage, courses etc).

SLC1042

[16]May 11, 2009
    • level: 1

Well, as much as I hate to say it, it really seemed like this was a wrap-up for the series and not just the season. I really hope not, this is by far my favorite show and would really hate to see it go. I found this link while looking for information on my 2nd favorite (NCIS) http://tvdramas.about.com/od/tvshowsaz/a/cancel0506.htm . It says that TU is in serious danger of being cancelled/unofficially cancelled. See you all again next season...I hope.

Teh_Fonz

[17]May 11, 2009
    • level: 10
    Great Episode. Great Season. Great Series.
    If the show gets canned, I'll be damn upset.

The last 3 episodes of this season were some of the best.

The twists over the last couple of episodes have been real hard to pick.
    I originally thought that Red Cap was bad, and that Whiplash was good.

Fantastic Show.
    CBS do the right thing please, renew The Unit
    Edited on 05/11/2009 4:59pm

Bolivar71

[18]May 11, 2009

Does anyone think that RedHat is being too critical of not forgiving Sam? If she was a normal female soldier, RH would be correct not to forgive even if Sam was just following orders. Sam only punched her and faked the rest of the sexual attack before he let her go. His life and mission in that terrorist cell depended on making it looking real. These people kill people following orders they aren't your everyday office staff that can't protect themselves where she would live in fear.

RH does what she is ordered to do and she not a shy innocent girl so to speak with that job. If Red Hat had been ordered to fake being attacked just to get Sam arrested under orders she would have and he would have forgiven her. However, Ryan said to Jonas that there could have been a mole in the Unit and with them being tracked all over the country that was very plausible after the Chlorine Gas attack that knew where to find them when they were hiding their families. RH's life may someday be depending of Sam risking his life to save hers on some mission or vice versa. If RH can't forgive Sam she needs to leave the Unit for everyone's safety.

Edited on 05/11/2009 7:10pm

NKwulf

[19]May 11, 2009
    • level: 5
    Bolivar71 wrote:

Does anyone think that RedHat is being too critical of not forgiving Sam? If she was a normal female soldier, RH would be correct not to forgive even if Sam was just following orders. Sam only punched her and faked the rest of the sexual attack before he let her go. His life and mission in that terrorist cell depended on making it looking real. These people kill people following orders they aren't your everyday office staff that can't protect themselves where she would live in fear.

RH does what she is ordered to do and she not a shy innocent girl so to speak with that job. If Red Hat had been ordered to fake being attacked just to get Sam arrested under orders she would have and he would have forgiven her. However, Ryan said to Jonas that there could have been a mole in the Unit and with them being tracked all over the country that was very plausible after the Chlorine Gas attack that knew where to find them when they were hiding their families. RH's life may someday be depending of Sam risking his life to save hers on some mission or vice versa. If RH can't forgive Sam she needs to leave the Unit for everyone's safety.

Reality--no she is not being too critical. Orders or not, she legitmitlly felt that her life was in danger...plus there was too much that could have gone wrong with that "attempt". If she carried a gun, if the guy that showed up carried a gun, if she got truly injuried due to his attack, etc. I did not like how they made him "undercover". His running from the law, the shot out in the car lot..I could go on; however this being fiction...I just said ok.

D-LinkUK

[20]May 12, 2009
    • level: 24

Seeing as this maybe my last Unit post ( until hopefully a season 5 comes along ) I just wanted to say I thought that was a brilliant ending to another remarkable series, I do hope like the rest of you we get a fifth season and whatever happens will enjoy it as much as the first four.