The Unit

CBS (ended 2009)

Catwoman87531

The Unit Fan Reviews page 4 of 8

• If you love action, you'll love The Unit!

'The Unit' exposes the essence of the 'real' human cost involved in war and other military-type forces. The realism of the show just adds to its caliber, and although the show has some extreme situations, it just portrays what governments don't want the public to know.
    The depiction of the characters by the cast is amazing and the story lines leave the viewers wanting more. In the directors commentary (in season one), writer E.L. Haney comments that he never wanted to turn his fiction into a movie blockbuster, and I'm glad he didn't. It would have taken away from the story line of what he was trying to reveal: the human cost it has on people, their families and their country.
    I believe 'The Unit' has set the standard of what real special-ops type programs should be, but have failed to do so!
    The show is extremely addictive and I can't wait for the following seasons!
  • Five Brothers episode. I have to say something

This show just keeps getting better. The latest episode "Five Brothers" was excellent. The shocker at the end was almost eclipsed by the cold blooded killing of a civilian by Bob to stop him giving their position away.

The show has always been a favourite of mine but its always been a bit unrealistic for me. The stories were great but the good guys always win and no one ever does anything too dubious or non politically correct. This seems to have changed recently and I do very much like it. I think its more human when good people do bad things.

Keep it up!
  • the best

the unit is the best show on prime time. i look foward to every tuesday night just to get my unit fix. i do mis the original theme song. but the action is still great. this is the first review as you can tell.that is about all i have to say. just kidding. im sad hector is gone. i hope no others leave. what else can i say. nothing. but i have to have 100 words. so now i am at 81 . i only need a few more. all i want to do is just say how much i love the show......
  • Best show ever

A show with a great cast and even better stories is ontop in my opinion. This is not an easy task with other great show starting on the rise like Prison Break, CSI, 24, etc. Eric Haney gives the viewers a little taste of what it is like to not only be a member of a special ops unit, but a perspective of how things are on the home front.
    I hope this show never ends.
    Although I was a dissappointed when Hector Williams dies it did maintained a realistic approach to the show.
    Now I can not wait for the pay back.
  • I only caught the last half...but that was enough

Three guys for one stupid american signer. It happens much more tha you think. The media and television fiction show, film and government propoganda makes war look cool. I like the premise of teaching abratty little spoiled twit the true meaning of death in a war zone, but did she learn her lesson?

So what's with Hector getting a girlfriend and why were the wives interveining so soon?? Plot twist: Will Hector bringin a new permanent wife character?? Let's hope so, it's about time he get laid.

What about the Tiffy/Tom/Hector factor: Will Hector tell Mac about what he thinks he saw? Do you think that perhaps Tom was over to offer support to Tiffy or to "support" Tiffy? This is the plot scenario I've been waiting for since we first found out about the affiar! Can't wait to see what happens there!

Oh and the preview for next week has me clearing my Tuesday night!! Stay tuned, Stay touched.
  • The Unit guards a celebrity performing in Iraq. Bob escorts a condemned man.

This episode was silly and contrived.

We are led to believe that an Elite Unit is called upon the guard a bad parody of a country western singer, that manages to elude the Elite team and frolic amongst the hostiles. One would think that the writers would realize that Uncle Sam would have better uses for a highly trained, super-secret team.

Bob somehow (???) manages to execute a condemned man by proxy, and in the process, ruin another soldiers career.

Course, we can all understand the need for a team member to execute a condemned man....right?

What happened to the well thought out plots from the first two seasons?
  • Life in a Special Ops Unit never looked so good, even with all the problems at home!!

i must admit that I am not much of a "Army" genre kind of person. All that praising of warfare and killing is in contrast to my "Live and let live" philosophy, however this series is a gulity pleaseure of mine. In the beginning I was not really into it as it appeared to be just a modern spin on an old, tired genre. The special forces unit which goes above and beyond and saves the day...end of story. Then the writers of this series had, what I believe to be, an amazing idea. "Lets show what its like for these guys when they go home and the personal problems at home!" Brilliant. All of a sudden we have a series which shows, not only what it is really like for these guys on missions, but what they then have to go home to and not be able to talk to anyone in regards to what they do, not even their wives!!! Imagine, being able to keep secrets from your wife! Trust me not as easy as it seems :).
    Anyway, after much hesitation I have to say, this is quite good and most of the episodes are well thought out and written. Go on and give it a try. You may find it will become your guilty pleaseure too ;)

• The Unit is one of my favorite shows.

The Unit is one of the few shows that I and my significant other watch together and truly enjoy, no complaints from either of us. The show is pact with action and suspense, yet also manages to provide us with a softer more dramatic side which is the families and their interaction with the Unit members. Dennis Haysbert is a perfect match for the role of Jonas Blane and watching him portray the part on TV makes me feel like he really is a leader in the special forces.
    The rest of the cast is also well chosen including the wives and children. I have to admit here that from the first season I really disliked Tiffy Gerhardt and hated her at the end of the second season and I know many viewers felt the same way and some fans were saying that Mack should get rid of her etc. but you know what? Mack and Tiffy deserve each other… they are both awful in so many ways and both Max and Abby are just brilliant actors to be able to provoke such feelings from viewers, whether it be hate or love.

The downside of the Unit is that sometimes there's too much home issues and less action in the field and personally, as I really enjoy special forces series (for example the British Ultimate Force) I wish they would focus more on the special operations and a tiny bit less on the family front. I have to admit this is one of my favorite shows and I truly hope that this show continues on for a few more seasons.
  • A classic favorite that employs action, drama and suspense!

The Unit has great casting, storylines, and makes Tuesday's a second runner up to TGIF. The first two seasons were magnificent; however this third season, I believe has been tainted with a musical intro that weakens the show. I wish they would bring back the original cadence "Fire'd it up." This is a prime example of executives and producers within corporate America trying to re-invent the wheel. Other than the new music, I am a true fan and hope that this show outlives Cheers or Friends. I have never been in the military personally, but it is in my blood; and watching this show each time I feel the utmost respect and honor for the men and women who fight to protect this country from our many dangerous enemies. Thank You!
  • The original theme (military cadence) was WAY better than the new one! Also, please let the missions get the lion's share of episode time.

I couldn't agree more with coffeenut's assessment of the new theme song vs. the original. The original had exactly the right feel for a show about an elite, firmly dedicated, special forces Unit. I've never been a big fan of the episodes that spend half (or more) of the time with the "wives drama". The new theme song seems to point us more toward the touchy-feely side of the show, which in my opinion, should be the lesser focus. I mean, it's called "The Unit", not "The Unit and Their Families". Some family time is good for a contrast and to show the development of well-rounded characters, but my friends and I love the show mostly for the missions. My wife (USAF), though she isn't as much of a fan as I am, feels the same about the cadence theme song being an important factor in setting the mood for "The Unit".
  • In a time when the military isnt viewed upon in good light from a lot of Americans, this show comes out and blows me away. We military members go through a lot, and it is good to see a real military show showing the pains of deployments for families.

This is the only show I watch on TV. I dont even turn on my TV until Tuesday evening. This show does a great job at showing what the dependants of military members go through. This is something that only military members can truly relate to and it hits home for me. Although most military folk can pick it apart for tactics and the way they do things, I also go into it knowing they are limited to what they can show the general public, as they truly dont need to know what really goes on anyways. You want to know, step up and join. This show is as close as you can get to knowing what its like besides being there yourself, so hats off to the producer and cast, they are great and I dont miss an episode and have both seasons on DVD.
    Finally a show written by a true been there done that veteran.
  • Bring back the original military cadence theme. Lose the crappy new one that doesn't relate to anything.

What do Miami Vice, Bonanza and Bewitched have in common? Very recognizable theme songs of long-running, successful tv shows. Who, in God's name, came up with this ugly new theme song for the Unit? Some politically-correct liberal, I presume, who thought the cadence offended someone. The original military cadence theme is part of what drew me to the show. I loved hearing it. It fit perfectly. It symbolizes strength and patriotism. This new junk actually weakens the entire premise. It has no oomph! No magic. Bring back the original theme or lose the magic and viewers.
  • Most action packed, brilliant show on air right now!!

Amazing!! Every time I watch this show I am so involved. It is like I am with these group of Rangers fighting for my country. Just like 24, once you watch one episode, you will be hooked and need more. Each episode takes you on a new adventure and has you bitting your nails hopping for a good result. I have nothing but good to say for this show. I hope this show will stay on air for years. Watch this show if you want to see a great show. At the end of the second season, they took away from what the show was about and made it about individuals struggle to find the truth. For three seasons, this has been the only downfall. I hope they realized that the fans want to see the US defeat other nations, not the US's struggle within itself.
  • Whose idea was it to change the theme song? It is terrible! Totally inappropriate for this powerful show. It felt like I was getting ready to watch some 80's sitcom. Sets the wrong tone for the show. Why mess with a good thing? Bring back the original!!!

Whose idea was it to change the theme song?? It is terrible and totally inappropriate for this powerful show! I felt like I was getting ready to watch some 80's sitcom! This new music sets the wrong tone. Why mess with a good thing? The old theme music always got me pumped and left me feeling proud and reflective about the military. I found myself humming the tune for days afterward. It's such a positive, gung-ho, feel good theme that I believe it should not be replaced. Doing so just seems to undermine the integrity of the show. Bring back the old and out with the new!!
  • Awesome Show.

The unit is a good delta force military show that is really real. The next season they dont have a base to go back to so there on there own trying to fight back the people that took over there Unit. Jonas Blane is trying to get away from the people that are looking for him but after the 1st episode he is now trying to find them. This is a good show but since its real it makes it not good but better. If Eric Haney was to make a other season he should have more terroists fighting the americans.
  • Wicked military might show

The show since Season 1 has become my personal favourite. Its better than 24 (which is full of BS).

At least this show is thrilling, eye catching, full of fun and no BS.

The show is based on impossible military mission. If I compare it with 24, the show is closer to reality.

It seems to me the writer of 24 doesnt think that the audience starts to wonder - no mission like in 24 is accomplished in 24 hours..Its just impossible.

I am very happy this show is back for 3rd season. I wish too CBS will continue airing The UNIT.

Cancellation really got me worried !

Thanks CBS
  • The unit is possibly the best special forces show that this world has ever seen

The unit is a top notch Special Forces show, which delivers action packed adventure, week in week out. Despite the absence of a continuing storyline, the unit delivers what many other shows fail to. A television series which can be picked up from any episode and enjoyed thouroughly. There is no need to follow intenly week by week, simply pop it into the dvd player, and watch as freaky terrorists blood is splattered from wall to wall. Always in good fun. They all have McGyver like skills, enabling them to speak any language, and find themselves out of seemingly impossible situations.
  • The Unit is a classic that shouldn't be missed!

My Husband and I have a best friend that served in Iraq a little over a year ago. We have always been into the war shows and movies,but even more so since then. I had seen previews for The Unit last fall and told him we had to catch this new show! We were sure to be home for the first episode and all of the ones after! The Unit is so powerful and realistic! It isn't a show I would allow a child to sit down to watch,but is a must see for adults! It's nice to see there are still networks and people out there willing to "keep it real" instead of keeping quiet about what are armed forces go through! May God be with our men and women every single day while they fight for our country! Welcome back Unit we've been waiting!
  • I Love this Show

This show is so awesome I make it a point not to miss an episode. This show has everything, seriousness, a little comedy, and lots of drama. It is very hard on the spouse of a military person, your always worrying when are they coming home and when you cannot get in touch with them your worry more. Of course all branches work different but all branches work together and the worry is still the same. I will admit the way the wives in this show stick together and look after each other is the same we spouses stick together and take care of each other.
  • I think this show shows how troops in Iraq deal with.

This show shows how terroists are in Iraq and the middle east are like. This show is good to show all the people in the states why the troops need to stay and get rid of the terroists. Instead of bringging them back and having Street police fight them in your oun back yard. This show is a supremme thriller that would send anyone of there seats even if you dont like the characters. You still have to admit that this show is good, And it should get some credit from more people. Because they show well how it is in the middle east fighting terroism
  • Looking forward to a new season

7.2
    To be fair, I have only started watching The Unit in the middle of this past season and have missed quite a bit. What I have watched, I have liked. The Unit has moved it's way up on my Season Pass priority list from the bottom (22 or 23) to second.

The acting in this show is some of the best I have seen in a long time. The show is well-written and each episode makes you want to come back for more.

My only concern about The Unit is it's ratings and that CBS may choose not to renew it. The producers ended the season with such a cliffhanger that I and others are going to be heart broken if the show does not return.
  • Omg!!! I love this show, watch all the time with my "better half" and we love it. Exciting and wonderfully written everyone should watch, easy to get caught up in and addicted to.

Wonderful, can't wait to buy the season 2 on DVD. Ordered Season 1 and watched the whole thing in less then 2 days. And when we get to order season 2 will probably end up doing the same thing. Love this show, never boring, always on the edge of my seat wondering what in the world will happen next. These guys are always into something deep. And now it seems as though someone is out to get the whole group of them. Can't wait to see what happens next. Everyone loves a good cliff hanger and the UNIT is good at that.
  • Military and family ... everything this country is built with PLUS values and love ... everything this country is built on.

This is a MUST to watch. It has everything we need and that is everything that is missing from today's television: family, love, hard work, values, trials and tribulations and everything else. THANK YOU to CBS and everyone in the show. When it comes to TV today it has everything that we don't want our kids to watch (and we shouldn't be watching it). The military needs to be praised; family and family values need to be brought back to the front and on prime time for everyone to see. We need more shoes like this and THANK YOU again CBS and everyone else involved in the Unit.
  • I don't really like the characters.

A previous review, from a former serviceman, said it was much harder to write about the military than cops, but I suspect he's never been a cop...

To a civy, this has a couple of things right about it that that poster (who I can understand might be miffed by incorrect details), seems to have ignored.

First off, 24 proved that lots of people kind of like tech speak. From my contact with forces people, they DO talk in acronyms a lot (As a computer industry worker, meaningless acronyms don't impress me much...).

Secondly, it's exciting. In the same way that real police work is 99% slow methodical sifting of evidence and cross checking, the real military world (even of special forces) would probably bore the average viewer to tears. Hours and hours of waiting for something to happen and then more hours of stealthy evasion wouldn't work in a 1 hour slot.

Thirdly, I think it manages the men out defending freedom/families at home worrying and waiting balance extremely well. The women aren't weak and foolish (again, my limited experience of military families suggests the women often get to be pretty self-reliant), but they have the same frailties and fears anyone might.

Sure, timelines and tactics are compressed or circumvented to get a storyline into a 50 minute programme and there are some fabrications to help the stories along (everyone living nearby, the CO doing the dirty with one of his men's wife - although I'm sure it's happened), but it deals with the action in an exciting and convincing way (for the casual viewer - A bit like a Tom Clancy novel reads), whilst attempting to deal with the impact of these things on people's lives.

The mil-sim and former military purists might not like it, but to the average viewer, it's (like 24 or The Shield) quality TV entertainment that leaves you thinking, at least a little, when it's over.
  • This show probably represents the most realistic approach of modern day counter-terrorism.

This drama/action series takes a chance on featuring present day types of situations and technology. It focuses on what operations can actually happen today or may be happening right now rather than trying to impress viewers with developmental or theoretical but amazing technology and tactics. Simultaneously, the drama is kept within the most intimate of parties, people who are involved with members of The Unit. If we want to discover how life would be like if we were in the military or were very close to an individual in this field, then this must be the show to watch. I'm sure that even the weapons, procedures and equipment used in this show can easily be identified by familiar viewers since they are mostly from our era.
  • THe Unit, THe Best military drama series on tv

This is one of the best military dramas on televison. I dont see how anyone cannot like the show. I also like it because it shows the military wife's and what they go though, so its not just war, its drama action. I would not stop watching this sow for anything.. I see some people out there are kinda hating on the show, saying that is patheic, and the acting sucks. Im not saying that the show is Oscar winning. But there are many great qualitys about the show. Well i would recommend this show to anyone who is into action/drama movis or series
  • Has a lot of action.

What first attracted me to the Unit was because Dennis Haysbert was in it cause I am a big 24 fan. The thing about the Unit is it doesn't just show all the action like other shows. It also shows how military wives live. It is also a lot like 24 it has a lot of action and they fight terroists and stuff like that. I think CBS sort of took the idea from 24. But i still love it. It really shows the lives of delta force people and all of their missions. Overall Unit has a lot of action and I highly reccomend you watch it.
  • The Unit is a great show with an interesting idea of a secret team of elite forces that work under the radar. They characters are great and the action is great also.

Again, the Unit brings something new to primetime: the idea of a secret unit of the army. Jonas leads the team of elite special forces into dangerous situations and they never cease to impress. It is not over-the-top or unbelievable, but it is written in a way that makes it completley plausible. The story lines are unique and well-written on the soldier front, but the stories back at home are usually boreing and almost pointless. The soldier characters are great, and so are many of the enemies, but the wives can get annoying. They never seem to have good story lines and their characters are not well-developed. However, overall, the show is great because of the action and some of the characters.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8