The Unit

CBS (ended 2009)

Catwoman87531

The Unit Fan Reviews (230)

• What i thought of the show

Ive seen The Unit plenty of times on reruns over the past couple years. in my humble opinion, the show got quite a bit right, and a couple things absolutely wrong.

the right - Dennis Haysbert, Max Martini, Robert Patrick

the wrong - Scott Foley, the entire B storyline involving every single second of the "wives"

felt like the wives were filler, a cheap way to have non action scenes. unfortunately, i did not care a single bit about any of their idiotic storylines. completely unbelievable, forced, and what can only be described as low quality soap opera acting. the storyline with Mack going to the bars and having secondary girlfriends (potentially) gave a small window into what could have been. ditch all of the wife characters and replace them with a rotating number of guest actresses. one night stands that lead into temporary empty relationships, mission girlfriends that appear to us the way they appear to the soldiers! the women they meet while operating (the south american girlfriend, the insurgent lady, etc) are FAR more interesting and mysterious. we dont know their motives and we dont trust them yet they make great strong characters! OR some wives that i could possibly care about. less is more! showing them every 5 minutes takes away from the idea that the men dont see them very much. we see them too much, and we dont feel they are important except as mediocre eye candy and plot convenience. think how the godfather would have been if they had shown the wives and mothers half the movie? terrible, thats what. we only needed to see them occasionally and only as they related to the lead males in the movie. if you are like me, you are tempted to change the channel or mute the show whenever you have to endure the B storylines. you are watching a really cool bomb diffusal scene, then 2 seconds later you get shoved into some annoying fake domestic problem/argument between two characters that dont even act like they like each other? thats what killed the show.

also bad, Scott Foley is a horrible cast as his character. no one buys that this guy is a manly sniper. the badass we have to be constantly reminded and told he is supposed to be? no. completely unbelievable, completely embarrassing next to the rest of the well cast Unit's male characters. his character is all over the place, ranging from some supposed hardcore survivalist to a quivering heap of emotional jelly. in the end he just doesnt look the part. he has no chemistry with any of the females that are supposed to be into him, we dont believe for a minute he is capable of anything we are supposed to believe. and oh yeah, hes a bomb expert, an air traffic controller, etc. he never pulled it off or sold us on it, it was just weak plot convenience