The Unit

The Spear of Destiny

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jan 11, 2009 on CBS

• I will go on record as saying this was one of the best Unit episodes in the series!

I loved this episode from start to finish. Two characters of seasons past return each with their own motives.

The scenes with Mack & Hector were excellent. Hector was seemed so at peace with his death, I felt some comforted. It was nice to find out that Col Ryan wasn't involved in Hectors shooting. I was expecting Col Ryan to kick his ex-wife out of his office, but it seemed she had some clout and was able to hold the safe evac of his stranded soldiers for a supernatural relic.

You really feel bad for Bob with his heroin addiction, which was not his fault or choice. I would have thought that if he went to the Col after their Casino mission they would have pulled him from future missions and made him suffer through rehab.

This episode is why I love The Unit.
  • "Robot-worthy" that's what my friends say when a movie or show is so bad it needs the guys from MST3K to provide running commentary. This episode of THE UNIT was robot-worthy.

I don't know what just happened. I usually sit on the edge of my seat, knuckles-tensed while watching the unit. This one had sitting back in slack-jawed disbelief and scratching my head in perplexed confusion over what could have so derailed one of my favorite shows. I sat down to watch an exciting episode of THE UNIT and somehow got what appears to be a rejected Indiana Jones script. The other reviews here summarize the episode better, but I'll attempt a short run-down. An ill-equipped and ill-prepared Jonas and Mack are in trouble in the Chilean mountains. Mack is seriously wounded and Jonas seeks help at a small monastery, which just happens to house an order of warrior-monks who forge their own swords, delight in kumite, and have devoted themselves to guarding (though not very well) the Spear of Destiny (Longinus) which supposedly pierced the side of Christ and magically makes people invincible in battle (although this property of the spear doesn't seem to function for the monks who have sworn to guard it). Duh, Duh, Dumb.

Meanwhile a dying Mack goes on a spirit-walk with Hector and a heroin-addicted Bob invites his wife to accompany him on a super-secret classified unit wet-work assignment. The hits just keep on coming.

I can't believe that Haysbert or any of the otherwise fine actors from THE UNIT would even agree to go along with this inane plot. This wasn't just a lousy episode. Every TV series has it's share of bad episodes. This was a show-killer and if anyone from THE UNIT is wondering why the show is cancelled, they need only re-watch this episode.

Everything we liked about the Unit was conspicuously absent from this show. Consistent characters, well-crafted dialogue, and plausible plotlines were all missing from SPEAR OF DESTINY. By the time the announcement came to stay tuned for scenes from the next episode of THE UNIT we found ourselves joking that in the next episode Jonas would have to lead the team back through time to stop the civil-war. I've been a fan of THE UNIT from the start, and a fan of Dennis Haysbert since his David Palmer days on 24. It is so sad to see how the mighty have fallen…alas.
  • Jonas and Mack find themselves in a monastery in need of rescue. The army won't rescue them unless/until they steal the Spear of Destiny. Bob tries to complete a mission despite heroin withdrawal.

I should point out first that I like the show a lot. Having seen every episode, I was very surprised that this one had a supernatural element. I don't mind that in a show like Fringe, but it has no place in this show. Jonas lives in the real world and I have trouble believing that he would just accept that returning the spear would save Mack's life. Also, it seems like the writers can't decide who Charlotte really is and what she does. Finally, Bob's recovery seems pretty remarkable. One minute he's going through fairly severe withdrawal symptoms and the next he's able to complete his mission. The writing on the show is what first drew me to it. This was not even close to par.
  • This would be a classic "Jumps the Shark" moment. They've gone from military fact-based fiction to crypto-religious fantasy.

The Spear of Longinus? REALLY?

How did we get here from _The Delta Force_, a book about the training that our elite military forces actually go through to thwart terrorists holding hostages, to this bizarre conspiracy theory based upon Christian apocrypha?

Recent episodes of The Unit have gotten steadily worse, as we've slid from reality-based fiction (which is to say, scenarios that were supposed to be dramatized but based on possible events, backed by research into how Delta Force actually has operated) to conspiracy-based fantasies dipping into soap opera-like plots. Last week, we saw Bob injected with some fictional super-heroin that turned him into a junkie in a matter of hours. This week, a super secret committee orders that two soldiers be abandoned unless they can produce the Speak of Longinus (with an implied physical salvation through spiritual redemption in a dream sequence).

This series has nowhere to go. It's time to call it, DOA.
  • Worst of all! Cheapens Delta Force! Cheapens the Biblical story of Jesus Christ. Catholic church has fabricated so many bones and artefacts they could fill museums with quadruplicates of all the apostles. The Unit would never support idolat

This episode was not Delta Force - it was mystic, pathetic beyond the pale! Only respect for Dennis Haybert -outstanding job on '24', great job on the UNIT. The Unit has had some good writing but this was the worst!!!
    Did NOT run like a normal "Unit" as somewhat believable... This was some mysterious occult program better suited to science fiction. If we believe that our government would stoop to search for phoney Catholic artifacts? Desperate writing!
    Secondly who would believe that Bob is still influenced by heroin? detox is available.
    Thirdly... Even the most pathetic of lawyers is NEVER going to allow Kim to be witness to a murder of someone who tried to kill her?!

Thanks, Ian
  • A Clandestine committee of unknowable high ranking members of government denies Jonas and a dying Mack a chopper for extraction and med evac till they acquire "the package". A supernatural item that is said to have been the spear that pierced Christ.

Apparently this item grants its possessor unquantifiable amounts of luck in winning battles, and the opposite becomes true upon losing it. Colonel Ryan's agonizing witch of a wife is back speaking on behalf of this ridiculous committee that wants this artifact and is willing to sacrifice Jonas and Mack if they can't get it. Mack has a near death experience, seeing Hector Williams who tells him to let go of his regrets and walk through the closed door into the light. Cliched, and out of place.

Mack then proceeds to die. The medics have given up on him and Jonas who has retrieved this spear, stabs it into a tree in effect defying his orders and leaving it behind and instantly Mack is awake and fine. Since when does The Unit have sci-fi/supernatural underpinnings. Fragrantly out of place.

Kim sees the dark side of Bobs work and no doubt we will hear her whining about it for episodes to come. He was following orders Kim dearest, what exactly did you think his job was. Candy canes and pixy dust? Bob struggles with his heroine withdrawal, exhibiting some serious symptoms. Oh, wait, 5 minutes later he looks in perfect health.

Bottom of the barrel episode, no doubt there.
  • Confusing in parts.

Jonas and Mack are in Chile after what looks like parachuting from a shot down plane, Mack is badly injured and are being chased by the local military, Jonas (caring Mack ) stumbles upon an old monastery and seeks sanctuary with the monks, they take care of Mack who is on his death bed and whilst in a comatose state see's visions of Hector, who informs him Mack is not to blame for his death, we then see Mack have visions of 3 separate incidents of 'mercy' killings from previous missions/episode/seasons, until we have a rerun of Hectors death and what Mack missed in all the confusion, Jonas on the other hand has radioed in to base ( yes the monks have a military style radio ) only to be informed that transport is delayed due to weather, then we things can get no 'stranger' Ryan's ex wife Charlotte turns up with a bazaar mission that a spare that killed Christ was in the procession of the monks and Jonas had to steal it, without it the helicopters would not be taking off. Jonas agrees and this is where it gets strange as Jonas is first put through a test by the lead monk to test his warrior instinct then is shown the spear/sword that was given to them by none other than General Patton who disobeyed a direct order to give it to some museum in Paris ( I think ), anyway Jonas manages to get his hands on the sword and hightails it out of there, cut to the chase and Mack is dying once they reach the helo, Jonas decides to return the sword only to find the monastery vanished ( spooky ) but place's the sword in an old tree as then by magic Mack returns to life……. There's a moral to the story I know.

On the home front we still have Bob fighting his demons and heroin addiction, Kim finds out and has to accompany him on a mission as bob is too sick to go alone and cannot tell Col Ryan, so it's all set up for a surveillance mission of a hotel room, and guess who the subjects are Isaac Reed and his wife, bob has to I.D Isaac's contact and gain info and with the help of Kim fights his drug addiction, some things are said by Isaac to his wife about Kim which Bob hears but takes for granted, maybe because it was all ordered by Col Ryan, anyhow Bob receives a phone call which turns out that he must kill the reeds when they receive a package, naturally Bob executes his order only to be witnessed by Kim who is taken aback by it all.

The episode reminded me of seasons 2 episode The Outsiders but hey maybe that's just me, the episode was good but sorry guys but I wouldn't give it a 10, personally I think a lot rate this episode highly because we see the return of Hector which was a nice touch and give the fans something to talk about, but the episode in parts was confusing and didn't make sense, the only believable part was Bob's mission though I still think he should have told the team about his drug interrogation after the last episode.
  • great episode! MORE MORE MORE!!!!

awesome story, great writing, fun to watch, thanks for spectacular episode, keep it up!!!
    When I read what this episode was about, I was surprised that such a theme ( biblical) was put into a TV show. I was a little worried if the writer where going to be able to stay true to the facts and still make a suspenseful episode! After viewing it, I was TOTALLY satisfied and blown away by the result.
    Totally am looking forward to upcoming episodes, The writing seem different, BETTER, must be a new guy, great work!!! 2 big thumbs way way way up!!
    just my 2 cents, jon
  • As usual, BRILLIANT!!!

Like I said above, BRILLIANT. I know a lot of you are probably going to say that this episode was not "all that" but I for one, really enjoyed it. First of all, it's ALWAYS a pleasure to see Demore Barnes and second it was very interesting to see how things played out with him, with Bob and his drug problem, with that annoying Isaac and his wife and so on. I wonder if Kim and Bob's relationship will be affected by what went done in this episode, but I do hope we don't dwell in that for too long, because I actually preffer the action sequences to the home front. Brilliant.
  • An episode that answers many of the fans questions

I love this episode. It answered to many question we had.

Who killed Hector, who's fault,the secrets between Issac and Kim,Bob's drug problem and ryan's ex-wife I'm just watching this episode casually like any other show. I found the sword fighting scenes were refreshing in the monastery. Great history about the spear (if it's really a lucky charm - i'll research and see if that spear exist). I found the mix of foreign mission and bob's surveillance on Reed's are well balanced. They really shook up a few things with Bob and Kim. I thought when Issac said something about Kim was nothing at first but later when Bob woke up, it became worse. Bob so wanted to kill that SOB, issac. That was so cruel when Kim saw Bob shot Issac and his wife with a SD pistol.

Now I wonder what happen next to the president assassination plan. I found the whole season 4 undercover on home front makes a lot more sense now, i think many of you don't agree on that yet

The flashback with hector was amazing. When he showed mack those 3 bullets (his 3 guilts), i knew it'd had something to do with the kid and lady he shot in mid-east before meeting Crystal. The last bullet gave all of us the answer what happened back in Beirut when Hector was killed. Really cool flashback to the day reexamine what had gone wrong. It really brought me back a lot of memory of the previous seasons. It just happened that I finished watching 'Dedication' prior viewing 'Spear of Destiny. Mack once said 'I want to be with you' to Jonas. The strong brotherhood bond they have tonight were being shown with a firm handshake after Jonas returned the spear. Jonas will get his man back even his mission fails. That's how much he cares about his men. Don't you agree?!

Mack was still holding on his bullets (burdens) in his dream. Is that an end to it? Does that mean Mack can not let go his guilt? It'd be interesting if writers decide to come back to this later.

You might think Bob shouldn't have brought Kim with him on the mission. Kim just happened to find out Bob's addiction to heroin. Kim is such a nice wife caring his husband, she understood the risk of his husband losing his job. There's no way on earth Bob could get to Kansas City without help. That was some drama in the motel.

The music track at the end was the icing on a cake for me. Both storylines came to a conclusion with some emotion roller coaster.
    I'd say this is a strong episode with drama for the established fans. I'm not too worried about the action part now as long as the story development attracts me.
  • Not a great episode.

This really wasn't that bad, but it just didn't feel like the kind of The Unit we've come to expect. The ghost of Hector Williams seemed like something we'd see on One Tree Hill or Desperate Housewives, not this CBS program.

The whole heroin struggle and Kim seeing Bob shoot the parents, it just did not feel like The Unit. We've seen some classics this season, but this surely was not one of them.

It's understandable as they were opposite The Golden Globes tonight, but this was just poorly written, out of character, and a massive disappointment coming off last week's fine episode.