The Universe

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The History Channel Premiered May 29, 2007 In Season

The Universe Fan Reviews (17)

• Universal love

I love this show. Its smart and visually stunning. Too bad the History channel decided to go the greedy rout and only show it on H2. Thumbs down for the Discovery net. Way better then the new Cosmos show though.
  • A quazar of ideas

No doubt, between all the series I've watch, this is the one which I've learned the most of. Sooooo interesting, big and interesting (both the series and the real universe). The best documentary EVER
  • Just a quandary....

Another question I have is about the quantum refraction of time with the boson particle. I feel I have a theoretic solution but without doctorate backing I know it will never be taken seriously.
  • I want this show to never end!

This is an awesome show. I've been very curious about the Universe since I was a little kid. I had so many questions. I used to look up at the sky and ask myself 'what is out there?'

As I grew up and started studying Science, I found answer to some of those questions. But when I started watching this show, it opened a new window of knowledge for me. So many things that I didn't know before, I got to know from this show.

I learned about galaxies,black-holes, time travel, big bang, multiverses, supernovas and a whole bunch of things. You just name one thing that you want to know about the universe, and the chances are they've explored that topic.

Everyday we're solving big mysteries that the Universe has presented before us. That's why I want this show to never end! Love this show!!!
  • The Universe, while not going into a great deal of depth, does a good job of getting the viewer interested about physics, astronomy, and the universe as a whole.

In some of the other reviews here, this show has been taking fire for not going deep enough into concepts, or for appealing only to those with double-digit IQs.
    It is true that this show does not, for the most part, go very in-depth into any individual concept. However, one has to remember that this show is intended for a very general category of viewers, many of whom will likely have little-to-no experience in physics. Really, if one is looking for a program which will go as in-depth as a course in physics, or even many books, then this is not that show. However, if one is just looking for a very general, but still interesting primer in the subject, then this is a great show, which manages to entertain while still giving the basics behind the concepts, so that interested people can later continue study into the topics on their own. The reason I like this show so much is not because it teaches absolutely everything there is to know about the universe, but because it gets people interested in the topic, and is accessible for the average viewer. Whenever a show manages to genuinely interest people in learning, as The Universe does, it goes down as a good thing in my book.
  • Informative in an introductory level with amazing graphics to complement the facts that go with it.

I come from a completely literary background, which basically means I know much about literature, poetry, history, comparative religious studies, linguistics... you get the picture. Physics and mathematics have never constituted a part of my daily curriculum until recently, when I began to take interest in them and bought a bunch of books. I've made enough progress since then to be able to discern that this show doesn't go very deep into the specifics of things. It won't explain to you how formulas and equations work and help scientists come to specific conclusions, nor will it go through the endless debates regarding this theory or that. It will give you the most generally aknowledged theories out there in the most up-to-date way possible, and if you wish to delve deeper into the subject you will simply have to read some books!

That said, in my opinion this is a wonderful series and is being unjustly attacked by mathematical people. Sure, you understand math and that's wonderful, but let's face it, most people don't and will never find the time to sit and actually learn it. On the other hand the earth, the solar system, the galaxy and the universe are where we all live in, and it's sad that so many people exist in it that don't have the slightest clue of how it works or what's in it. Look at global warming for instance. If everyone understood a little more about that perhaps the planet wouldn't be in such a dire condition right now.

So this is where this show comes in, it grasps the interest of the viewer with enthusiastic scientists explaining things in a simple language, breathtaking photographs and amazing graphics, so that it makes scientific knowledge exciting and fun. Constant repetition may be tiresome at times, but on an introductory level it's a good method to solidly plant ideas in someone's head and makes it more easier to link one subject to another. We can't really expect a television show to do more than that when debating modern physics and astronomy. Anything that gets people so interested in science and makes it comprehensible to them can only be a good thing in my book.
  • This show is about... well, everything.

Like many shows on the History Channel, this show is so incredible in every single way. Unlike all the other complete filth you find on other, more mindless channels *cough nickelodeon cough CN cough*, this show is informative, transcending, unbiased, and well... epic. I really enjoyed the episode about the Degenerate; Black Hole; and Dark Eras of the universe. Very interesting and thought-provoking. Like the universe itself, there is no stopping this show. The sky... err space, is the limit. If you haven't seen this incredible show, do it now. It is well worth your time.

Indeed, my mind has been blown.
  • This show is absolutely wonderful!

A visually stimulating way to learn astronomy. Concepts are passionately explored and presented with refreshing clarity.

I'm a hard nut to please, and this is my favorite documentary show. It excells in capturing my interest where so many others of it's type have failed. The narration is powerful, and many of the frequent guests are also very personable.

My favorite topics have covered the colonization of space and human evelovution in the new fronteir. I also enjoy the in-depth study of physics topics such as gravity and light speed, and I feel like I understand these better than ever before.

This show is absolutely wonderful!
  • Uninformative, possibly of interest to someone who is mildly interested in the topic, but has never done any research for themselves.

3.5
    I have always had a very strong interest in Astronomy, Cosmology, Particle Physics, String Theory and Relativity. As a result I am always looking for more information.

I think this show really misses the boat. I can't imagine someone who is not interested in this type of information watching all of the episodes that are out now. On the other hand, for those that are interested enough to follow the series, the information presented is very juvenile. Instead of going deeper into concepts, it aims to entertain at the sensational, or as another reviewer aptly said, at the double digit IQ. The episode on Cosmic Apocalypse could easily have gone far deeper into the physics of the concepts underlying them. A brief 5 minutes mention of M-Theory and its 11 dimensions is something an interested viewer would have already known. Why not go deeper, show some of the math involved (very complicated), discuss the other string theories and the reasons for them. More importantly, explain why the theory itself is so elegant.

I do enjoy Michio Kaku however, so I end up watching just to hear him. I record the show, so that my 5 year old girl can watch. She already knows most of the concepts this show covers.

On the plus side, the graphics are beautiful, and as eye candy are well worth it for watching. Otherwise, buy some good books on the subjects covered, you will be far more satisfied in the end.
  • We learn about different places and bodies in the universe, from planets in our Solar System to the universe as a whole.

I don't get it, how can a show thats supposed to deal with the most awesome phenomena in nature be so disappointing? This show had incredible potential, and I got really excited when I saw the previews for it. I'll admit I've only seen a few episodes, but that was enough. The concepts are very dumbed down, and like most other shows on the history channel, it is very repetitive. They spend an hour giving about 5 minutes worth of actual information. I took an Intro level astronomy class and could probably teach someone more about the Universe in half the time. Monumentally disappointing, this show could be so much better. Another swing and a miss for the History Channel; sadly this show seems to be about the standard for them now. Monster Quest, really? Really? This entire show could probably be condensed into a couple hours too. Not really worth watching.
  • Not for the weak of mind. If you have a thirst for knowledge this is for you.

The show is a must see for anyone that wants to have a better understanding of the universe as well as physics. As well as providing understanding of how the solar systems and galaxies work. The show informs viewers of the countless things that are in space. Quasars, black holes, stars and how they shape the very universe we live in. If only all humans understood how truly small we are compared to all matter that the universe holds we would not feel the need to fight over the stupidest things. If only a better understanding of things came easy to us as a race this show would be much more popular.
  • Only useful for those with a double-digit IQ...

What a load of rubbish! Topics are explored in a very two dimensional manner, with constant interjection by one of the most irritating voice overs I've heard in a while. With every episode I watch, I get a sense of deja-vu, which is explained by the constant re-hashing of themes and subjects, so much so that the content of season 2 is almost identical to that of season 1. The show always promises much but consistently fails to deliver.

In summary, a shockingly poor copy of the undisputed classic in this genre, i.e. Carl Sagan's Cosmos. That series is still relevant, current and up to date, even after two decades since its original transmission, a pretty amazing feat considering the advances in our knowledge over the same period of time.
  • To put it simply... This show is bigger than anything you've ever seen...

When you see an advertisement for a show called "the Universe" you immediately think, "Wow, an hour of over my head information about things I can't even comprehend." Then you give it a chance and realize that there is so much more to this show than just a title. I can't tell you how many times I've been lying in bed at night watching this show and rousted my wife from a deep sleep just to hear an amazing fact... "hey hun, did you know that a Venitian day is longer than it's year?" Needless to say, she's not a big fan. I think it's a testement to the "regulars" that have such an incredible way of bringing enormous concepts down to a very understandable and interesting nugget. The Scientest almost open their years of hard work and mathematical equations and allow us to cheat as we look in on their world and understand the formation of a star or why our moon is slowly moving away from our Earth. Alex Fillipenko is my personal favorite as his analogies and examples of huge cosmic events always hit the mark for the non Astronomer. The point is, anyone can watch and everyone will be blown away.

My only fear, and this is going to sound rediculous, but I hope they don't run out of things to talk about. They've covered so many topics in outer space over the nearly 2 full seasons that I wonder what they could have in store for the following seasons. Other than that, your only job as a NASA bedtime astronomer is to sit back, try not to wake your wife (or husband) and enjoy the coolest hour of t.v. that our planet has to offer...
  • From the Center of our home planet Earth, to the swirling chaos of a black hole, this show tells all. Anyone who finds interest in astronomy, you simply MUST watch this! This television show is the best show on the universe ever. The information is great!

Anybody out there who enjoys learning about the universe we live in should come to the history channel on Tuesdays! The Universe is the absolute greatest informative show on T.V. This show is humorous, educational, informative, astonishing, and is probably the best documentary series, if not the only one, that completely covers all the known information directly from scientists. There is no inaccurate data. Everything is completely true. I learned more in one episode than I learned in ten years of reading books. Don't stop reading, but if you really want the inside scoop on our universe, you need to watch this show. Unlike other educational shows, this is not boring. It is entertaining. Absolute 100% perfection. Education, entertainment, and knowledge beyond belief. The Universe is an absolutely awesome show.
  • This would be a good show, except the constant over use of topics, graphics and phrases really made me feel glad when this season finally finished. I'm hoping the next season fares better.

4.9
    Anyone that is interested in this material won't be surprised by the content, and in fact will be bored out of their minds by how often they repeat themselves within each episode, and within the series itself. For instance, four separate shows deal with black holes, under thinly disguised 'different' topics.

I found most of the analogies that were used not only wildly inaccurate, but downright misleading and horribly contrived. This does not even touch on the voice-over sensationalizing and distorting what little facts are actually presented.

This would be a good show for third to fifth graders, but no higher than that.
  • I like... I like alot.

When you think of science shows you think of tired old shows like the ones on PBS or Discovery Science... This on the other hand is not a tired old show... It gives you every single bit of info it can about everything... I love it................... I just hope it goes on for more then 20 episodes or so... a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a aaaha ahah a a ahaha ahaha ahaha ahaha ahaha ahaha ahaha ahaha ahaha ahaha ahaha ahaha ahah a
  • Wow!

This is some DEEEEEEEEEEEEEP stuff, wow speechless I really dont know what to say. You might not even care about astronomy but when you watch this show for 2mins it will get your brain thinking and you will be hooked. This show will get you curious about astronomy.

ssss sss sss sss sss sss sss sss sss sss ss sss ss ss sss ss ss sss ss ss sss ssss s s s ssss ss sss sss ssss sss ssss ssss sss sss sss sss ss ss sss sss ssss sss sss ss ss s ss ss ss ss s sss