TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

The Unusuals Forums

ABC (ended 2009)

does anyone else love this show?

headphonez05

[1]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 11

I just saw the Pilot episode

wow its awesome. i love the mix of different genres; it has a bit of drama, action and comedy. I especially love the comedy in this show, it's kinda of like a dry comedy.

i'm not that familiar with the actors besides Adam Goldberg(Saving Private Ryan), and Harold Perrineau(Lost) but I like the chemistry of the cast.

The cases they have so far are hilarious.

Anyone else have any opinions?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

buffyangel4evr_

[2]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 20
    Can't say I love it, but I don't detest it. I think they're trying too hard to be funny. What's up with the dipatch calls? They're plain corny. Like some one telling a "man walked into a bar" joke. I really like Jeremy Renner and Adam Goldberg, they're why I gave this a shot. Adam can read the phone book and be funny. If the producers get rid of the unneccessary "jokes" this may be a decent show. I like the plot of bringing in Amber Tamblyn to investigate dirty cops. The cat murder investigation, snoozer.

headphonez05

[3]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 11
    buffyangel4evr_ wrote:
    Can't say I love it, but I don't detest it. I think they're trying too hard to be funny. What's up with the dipatch calls? They're plain corny. Like some one telling a "man walked into a bar" joke. I really like Jeremy Renner and Adam Goldberg, they're why I gave this a shot. Adam can read the phone book and be funny. If the producers get rid of the unneccessary "jokes" this may be a decent show. I like the plot of bringing in Amber Tamblyn to investigate dirty cops. The cat murder investigation, snoozer.
    I see what you mean, but i personally like the cheesy jokes. the only thing i'm skeptical about is ABC having a habit of canceling new shows. [I also agree with what you said about Adam Goldberg. He's the reason i gave this show a shot]
    Edited on 04/08/2009 8:19pm

kikimarie593

[4]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 27
    I didn't know the show was starting tonight, so I missed the first 20 minutes. But from what I saw I really enjoyed it. I even laughed a few times. The reason I watched it is because of Amber Tamblyn. She's the only person I recognize, besides the guy from LOST (don't know his name).

seikhoqueen

[5]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 14
    I thought that the show was hilarious! I enjoyed the humor in it, the quirky characters (especially Amber Tamblyn, Jeremy Renner and Adam Goldberg). It wasn't what I expected and I like the story arc that they introduced and the potential for conflict there. I also like the chemistry going on betwee Amber and Jeremy's characters and it would be interesting to see what happens with her secret assignment and how it affects their partnership. I hope that people watch this show, though with the lack of promotion I wouldn't be surprised if it has a short life.

goodridd

[6]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 17

hmm.....

I have mixed feelings about this show. The only thing I can really say I enjoyed were the cat murderer scenes. Everything else was "meh". I'd say it was a fair episode and I'll give it a couple more weeks before I decide to keep or drop it.

Will_of_the_D

[7]Apr 9, 2009
    I liked it. It has room for improvement but the potential is still there. Shame it likely won't make it cause it's on ABC but I found it to be entertaining.

Bisrossk

[8]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 9
    I didn't love it, but I thought it was pretty good.

Like a lot of people have said, the biggest problem is that they were trying too hard to be funny and make the people in it... well, "unusual". I think a little subtlety could have helped enormously. But it wasn't as goofy as I expected, and I liked the backstories a lot better than I usually do in a show like this. Normally, I only watch for the case and cringe everytime they talk about their personal lives, but between the dead cop investigating the division and the corrupt officer, I'm interested to see where it goes.

TesserT

[9]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 79
    Verdict is out on this one. I rather liked the underplots & the sarcasm. I think some the characters could grow on me (& some annoy me as time goes on) but I'd rather have had a new ep of Life on Mars. Will give it a few more eps before I decided to spend more time on this show or even to DVR it.

thunderdeed

[10]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 7

Same here! LIFE ON MARS Rocked!

Edited on 04/09/2009 1:16pm

bsg_geek

[11]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 4
    I think I'll probably be really irritated if this one gets canceled. I really enjoyed it a lot. There were a ton of funny one liners, and the character interaction was great.

cra2ywolf

[12]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 7
    I like it and I'll keep watching. Ratings not good for premiere though. I expect another cancelled show this season.

paryah

[13]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 9
    It's called the unusuals, right?
    Everyone keeps criticizing the humor but I admire it. It's risky and I think it works. Life, even in a cop station, can't be so clearly dark and dry all the time. life is absurdly humorous to someone when it's not supposed to be at times. And hey! It's New York. I like the kooky calls. it's an awesome slant and I don't think it takes away from the somber plot lines. But hey, I'm just one gal.

shaunvegas

[14]Apr 19, 2009
    • level: 5
    I think its a good show !! Love the action with the dirty cop mystery and the comedy aspects.

The dispatch operators and their comments remind me so much of MASH..

Great job all around

therockstop

[15]Apr 20, 2009
    I have really enjoyed the first 2 episodes but from what I am reading in other threads here it is going to get canceled. Not surprised here as every show I have liked here lately gets the ax.

seikhoqueen

[16]Apr 21, 2009
    paryah wrote:
    It's called the unusuals, right?
    Everyone keeps criticizing the humor but I admire it. It's risky and I think it works. Life, even in a cop station, can't be so clearly dark and dry all the time. life is absurdly humorous to someone when it's not supposed to be at times. And hey! It's New York. I like the kooky calls. it's an awesome slant and I don't think it takes away from the somber plot lines. But hey, I'm just one gal.

Make that two. I was getting tired of all the morose, overly heavy dramatic cop shows and I find the quirkiness of the show refreshing. What I hate is that ABC won't give it a fair chance. They put in on Thursdays against CSI:NY, and I found a new episode on tonight while channel surfing. It wasn't on any TV listings and I didn't see any commercials or ads saying that it was on a new night. Why bother airing the show at all if you're not going to give it a decent shot? It would be nice if the show defied the odds and managed to survive.

goodridd

[17]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 17
    I said in this thread a few weeks ago that I wasn't sure about the show, and that I was going to give it a few weeks. Well, I have...and it's gotten a lot better. I've decided to keep watching, but from reading the posts in this thread, it sounds like it's going to be canceled, which is sad.

mattgus

[18]Apr 21, 2009
    THE BEST I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME..GREAT CASTING,STORIES QUIRKY ALL OVER EVERYTHING AND BODY WITH THE RIGHT LEVEL OD ACTION...LOVE IT...

TesserT

[19]Apr 22, 2009
    • level: 79
    I absolutely loved my Life on Mars but since it's demise (& no chance of coming back), I am enjoying TU. Tues nite's ep as the best so far. Excellent script & the cast is quirky good for me. I went to the cinema last night to see State of Play since my regular Tues nite shows were repeats & got back in time to notice TU was starting! so glad I didn't miss it. Murder Store - ingenious and the character background stories are unraveling nicely. Hope tonite's regular Wed ep gets more of the 18-49 demo the advertisers insist upon!

Teh_Fonz

[20]Apr 22, 2009
    • level: 10
    I like this show.
    The unusual personalities of each of the characters is refreshing, I'd like to think that they are more human than some of the other cop shows.