The Unusuals Forums

ABC (ended 2009)

looks pretty dumb

thunderdeed

[1]Apr 6, 2009
    • level: 7
    Locking up people derssed up in a hot dog costume, saying to them "who you call the hamburgeler" comedy cop show . If I wan,t that I,ll go to T.V. LAND and watch BARNEY MILLER or CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU? COP shows should be serious period! 2 seconds of humor o.k. Thank god I still have 1 good New York cop show in C.S.I. NY. The Unusuals looks like a joke.
    Edited on 04/06/2009 7:39am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

svulova4life

[2]Apr 6, 2009
    • level: 8
    i agree with you, but we all need something to laugh at...especially when you compare the background of this show to any of the Law and Order series/CSI's

thunderdeed

[3]Apr 7, 2009
    I know we need to all laugh today in this world I myself can not and do not find any show dealing with crime funny it looks to me like there are going to go overboard with it. There may be one or two joke lines on C.S.I. NY but thats all. People die and people are attacked on that show that is crime , that is real and that is not funny. THE UNUSUALS also takes place in New York a real 360 to C.S.I. NY . We,ll see witch one is still standing real quick.
    Edited on 04/07/2009 10:38am

CharlesTheBold

[4]Apr 9, 2009

The only good thing I can say about the show is that Amber Tamblyn is in it. Otherwise it's a total loss. It's not funny, it's just silly. A stereotypical Southerner who wears his religion on his sleave is not funny. Nagging mothers are not funny unless they can think of something witty to say, and this one couldn't, even when played by a famous comic actress. A few years ago a cable series called the HUNTRESS had some of the same elements -- fish-out-of-water detective, mother-daughter arguments, nice girl pretending to be a hooker -- but the writers there were clever enough to MAKE them funny.

A lot of Amber's mannerisms and at least one gag (dashing into a restroom for a secret conversation and then realizing that it's the MEN's room) are from JOAN OF ARCADIA -- it's as if Amber can't find any personality in her character.

Cop shows have taken over network TV like a cancer. Apparently a producer can't even sell a drama series to a network unless it's a cop show. Even JOAN had to have a cop. And this one thinks it's original because it's "funny".

If ABC wanted to do something really original, they should have revived JOAN. Even a recycled series would have been fresher than this.

thunderdeed

[5]Apr 9, 2009
    Like I,ve said before. I don,t like funny cop/crime shows. Crime is serious.

Nikkles

[6]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 12
    the hamburger man thing was one second of the show and was ment to set the background from the weird world they inhabit. Its creative and different, with a slanted off sort of human. If your not willing to be open minded and iif you only like serious cop shows: Why would you even try this? Stick with the normal primetime this is the real world that is still nothing like the real world.

krussell47

[7]Apr 9, 2009
    I'd have to agree with everyone posting here that it wasn't that great. I will probably watch next weeks episode just to give it one more chance to peak my interest, but it probably won't and anyways, with the way ABC cancels shows left and right, it probably won't get a second season.

paryah

[8]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 9
    I think you guys are awfully harsh. Yes, crime is not funny. I agree with you whole heartedly but life sometimes is. A guy who vents his life frustration by killing cats? Scary. When a cop holds a cooler with departed cat up to killer's head and makes funny voices. Kinda gets me giggling; however, you notice the cops death was handled entirely differently.

More importantly, it's fictional. Made up drama to entertain. I'm sad it didn't do that for a lot of people but it did for me. You've gotta relax when a show's starting out and getting ahold of voice and what not. You've got an awesome cast - Tamblyn, Perrinau, Goldberg and Renner - just see where it goes.

I didn't think the writers were trying to be too funny at all. I think they were trying to twist the show to the lighter side of policing a huge city. It's not gonna be film noir 24/7, ya know? It's gonna be your neighbour calling the cops up when they see the homeless, schizo man flashing the kids...again.

Feh.

Humans, even when we're dark and dismal, criminal. Can be funny.

Perhaps you should think of it as an action/drama instead of a cop show.
    I mean... it *is* called the "the unusuals."
    Edited on 04/09/2009 4:47pm
    Edited 2 total times.

kikimarie593

[9]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 27
    I think this is just ridiculous that people were already hating this show before it even aired. The first episode wasn't perfect, but it was still good. Besides, it was only the first episode. Give it a chance!

CharlesTheBold

[10]Apr 9, 2009

Nikkles wrote:
    If your not willing to be open minded and iif you only like serious cop shows: Why would you even try this?

I tried it because Amber Tambyn was in it. And what's closed-minded about observing that we don't need another cop show? We already have CSI, CSI, CSI, NCIS, Bones (anthropologist as cop), Medium (psychic as cop), Numbers (mathematician as cop), Criminal Minds (psychologist as cop) et cetera ad nausem

Edited on 04/09/2009 7:39pm

headphonez05

[11]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 11
    paryah wrote:
    I think you guys are awfully harsh. Yes, crime is not funny. I agree with you whole heartedly but life sometimes is. A guy who vents his life frustration by killing cats? Scary. When a cop holds a cooler with departed cat up to killer's head and makes funny voices. Kinda gets me giggling; however, you notice the cops death was handled entirely differently.

More importantly, it's fictional. Made up drama to entertain. I'm sad it didn't do that for a lot of people but it did for me. You've gotta relax when a show's starting out and getting ahold of voice and what not. You've got an awesome cast - Tamblyn, Perrinau, Goldberg and Renner - just see where it goes.

I didn't think the writers were trying to be too funny at all. I think they were trying to twist the show to the lighter side of policing a huge city. It's not gonna be film noir 24/7, ya know? It's gonna be your neighbour calling the cops up when they see the homeless, schizo man flashing the kids...again.

Feh.

Humans, even when we're dark and dismal, criminal. Can be funny.

Perhaps you should think of it as an action/drama instead of a cop show.
    I mean... it *is* called the "the unusuals."

i agree. besides we need more funny shows to lighten us up during these harsh economic times. oh and have you ever seen this old show called "hogan's heroes"?
    if you think this show is exagerating the truth a little, then you haven't seen nothing yet.

thunderdeed

[12]Apr 9, 2009
    Let me ask you this . What was your take on LIFE ON MARS? I think it had a strong cast , and a great story line. And the music on the show rocked! Why this show was canceled I will never know. I feel it was the best show ABC has put on in a long time. I don,t know what would be worse a cop who is afraid of dieing or his parnter who has a death wish ? Those are 2 cops I would not want in my squad. Enjoy this show wile you can . It wont make it.
    Edited on 04/09/2009 8:50pm

thunderdeed

[13]Apr 10, 2009
    When they take of a show that I realy enjoyed I am very upset . I agree every show has to come to an end but there is so much trash on t.v. today a 5 year old could write better stuff than what,s on noadays . I,m sorry but LIFE ON MARS was at least something different . Maybe it was just to far out there for people but then how does a show like LOST where if you miss 5 minutes you don,t know what you missed. I know people need to laugh in this world today . You want to do that watch Commedy Central. LIFE ON MARS was great and ABC will regret canceling it someday.

kikimarie593

[14]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 27
    I never watched Life On Mars, but I hear it was really good. But the show is over and there's not really anything anyone can do about it, unless ABC changes their minds. Life On Mars ending has nothing to do with this show, so what is the use of complaining about it? I agree that this show probably won't last long, but it's a pretty good show and one season is better then none at all. Wouldn't you rather have one good season of a show then none at all? And Comedy Central is not the only channel that can show funny shows. It's not like this show is completely a comedy anyway. There are serious parts to it too, so it's not like this show is a complete joke.

paryah

[15]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 9
    thunderdeed...

are you cracked? Going on and on about your Life on Mars to us is not going to help. Putting out such negative feedback about the unusuals is not going to help either. You don't like it? Don't watch it. But if you're such a fan of Life on Mars. Do what those fans do. Get out there, gain a community and start writing the network immediately. It worked for Sliders, Family Guy and I'm sure other shows but bringing another show down won't help. It just makes you look... well, cracked.
    Edited on 04/10/2009 11:56am

thunderdeed

[16]Apr 10, 2009
    My apologys ! It,s just I am a huge fan of any show that deals with the subject of time travel. I have followed shows of that subject for a long time . QUATIUM LEAP, LIFE ON MARS and THE TIME TUNNELL (from the 60,s). this is a subject I feel that T. V. needs to have a show on this subject. Again my apologys to anyone .

Adeir

[17]Apr 15, 2009
    CharlesTheBold wrote:

Nikkles wrote:
    If your not willing to be open minded and iif you only like serious cop shows: Why would you even try this?

I tried it because Amber Tambyn was in it. And what's closed-minded about observing that we don't need another cop show? We already have CSI, CSI, CSI, NCIS, Bones (anthropologist as cop), Medium (psychic as cop), Numbers (mathematician as cop), Criminal Minds (psychologist as cop) et cetera ad nausem

I don't watch any of those, save some Criminal Minds reruns now and then. But this looked all right to me. So this is probably the only cop show I'll watch.

thunderdeed

[18]Apr 23, 2009
    Did you ever have a show on t.v that you could not wait for the next eposide? Were you upset when it was canceled? That,s all I,m saying.

thunderdeed

[19]May 20, 2009
    I told you it would,nt last.

Loooooooooooost

[20]May 20, 2009
    • level: 11
    It didn't last because most people only have the mind capacity for reality programing, or shows that take no intelligence at all to watch.