The Vampire Diaries

All My Children

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 16, 2012 on The CW

• Stefan and Damon: Seek & Destroy!

Given the serialized nature of The Vampire Diaries, the writers cannot afford the luxury of a stand-alone story, and must continue to bleed each episode into one another even when they have very little to run on, like with this episode. We have characters literally stalling the plot in this instance, some incredibly underwritten scenes, and a final scene I wouldn't even class as a couch-hanger, let alone a cliff.

My main gripe with this episode is that it aims for finale-worthy fireworks, in terms of story, but who are they kidding? We have more than our fair share of waiting before that comes around, so Esther's spell was never going to work. Elena was never really in any trouble. Abbey was such a non-character that her transformation was welcomed rather than something to sympathize with Bonnie over.

So what actually transpired that has any knock-on effect? Klaus and his siblings know that their mother wants to take 'em out wiccan style. Alaric is shot off-screen so therefore he's PERFECTLY fine. Annnd Bonnie doesn't want to speak with Elena. Fair enough.

Just a few bite-size thoughts on the rest of the episode:

- This is the episode that Caroline was to Klaus: one giant distraction.

- It's just so typical of Elena to gain a conscience AFTER she went through with Esther's binding spell. Uh. I kind of wanted Rebekah to set her on fire this week

- Speaking of Rebekah, she looked fab! New hair? I guess that's what happens after you have a rough and tumble with Damon.

- And speaking of Elena, when she finally made it to the anti-vamp chamber, I was dying for her to show Rebekah a bit of sass. Anything, really. A cheeky smile. The middle finger. ANYTHING. ''No Vampires Allowed'' in the most monotonous voice ever, Bella would have given off more sass. Poor show, Elena.

- Caroline also had amazeball hair this week.

- When Alaric stabbed Cole I thought the episode finally grew a pair (and I got great flashbacks to Alaric stabbing Elijah last season) but things quickly fizzled out. Le sigh.

- Seeing Klaus acting like a little schoolboy over Caroline kind of creeps me out.

- Holding Elena hostage is getting reeaaaallly old. Can she get a superpower, or something? I want a lead female to root for, so that the inner teenage fangirl in me has someone to look up to.

- Bonnie has literally lost all of her family now. I will eat my hat if she doesn't meet the reaper this season. (Or turn Evil.)

Yawwwn, I guess. This one felt a little pointless in the grand scheme of things. At least everyone had great hair?