The Vampire Diaries

Catch Me If You Can

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 24, 2013 on The CW

• Like Dominos

In my review for the previous episode I mentioned how the race was on. This is like a bloodier version of the amazing race with the teams and pairings and the fact now set in motion. I liked this one more than the last as it gave a better sense of the action and movement the individuals had. I enjoyed very much that wrenches were being tossed left and right in to people's plans, and I find it very exciting- though entirely unsurprising that there is likely an other group or individual after Silas or the cure.

This new face of Stefan was a much needed breath of fresh air on a character that had been growing stale. The interactions with Rebekah have a lot of chemistry and intrigue, it is a good matchup on screen, even if an actual relationship doesn't necessarily come from it. A pity Kol is finally becoming more interesting because I have a feeling he will get the axe very soon if he doesn't hit the road. (The betting windows are now open as to just how many of the original vampires will actually make it to the spin off "The Originals"... so far only Claire Holt and Joseph Morgan have been mentioned as being Starring roles, along with Phoebe Tonkin). Unless, naturally, someone succeeds in awakening Silas who will then resurrect all those fallen on the road to freeing him... or something.

Less interesting, but somewhat noteworthy I suppose, Elena decrying to slaughter of innocent people/vampires but then suggesting, without any sign of remorse that Jeremy kill Kol and eliminate an entire line of vampires. I can't decide if this is simply an other example of her long running hypocrisy in regards to her morals and self-righteousness, or if it is an other sign of her personality changing from being a vampire. Jeremy's reluctance at killing is also a very nice inner struggle to watch, because in spite of his Hunter nature, he refuses to let it overcome his humanity.

Last but certainly not least, we finally get to see Bonnie going dark, something which I think many people had been anticipating for a long time. It's all the more interesting that it seems to be out of her control, and she's woken up to the fact that the only man who may be able to help her (and the one who set this unfortunate turn of power in motion) is not trustworthy. Will she embrace this power and harness it, or will she try to fight against it (and turn out to be futile)?

Very much looking forward to next week!