The Vampire Diaries

Children of the Damned

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 04, 2010 on The CW

7.8
  • Season 1, Episode 13

Okay. They need to make scores higher than 10 because I keep rating these episodes 10's! Anyway, after this episode, I think I can say, this show IS the next Lost. There is no questions about it. It's got everything lost had (including one of the same actors) They both have mysteries, twists, cliffhangers, flashbacks, great in depth characters, insane writing, crazy good actors. Seriously this IS the new LOST. Anyways this episode was incredible. Flashbacks, again just like LOST, The Vampire Diaries' flashbacks give meaning to the characters and really help move along the story lines.

This episode was just crazy. So much happened! Bonnie goes on a date with Ben which ends with a huge twist and great cliffhanger. Flashbacks show how Damon and Stefan became to be enemies and how Katharine was taken into the tomb. We also find out that Anna's mother is in the tomb, which is why she wants to open it as well. Elena and Stefan find out that the Grim War is in his fathers grave, so they go there to dig it up while, Damon shows up later to dig it up himself and he eventually gets the Grim War. Elena and Stefan back at her house are recovering from Damon giving Elena some of his blood and Stefan realizes that Jeremy has Anna over and that she went to the "bathroom". Stefan freaks out and runs upstairs to find Elena missing from her room and the window wide open. and then......... (black screen) "The Vampire Diaries.

Outstanding cliffhangers and intense plot twists and insanely great writing & acting gives this episode another perfect 10/10 for the series.
  • Flashbacks..

So.. this episode is mainly about the past and maybe more and more explains what really happened back then and opens up little bit more the relationship between the brothers.. as there are more reasons than the most obvious one for their tension.

The whole journal thing seems to be solved and I did not expected to be so major: going out to the thumb and trying to get Cathrine back.. And Anna becomes much cleared up too.. And like always.. nothing is done without purpose as Bonnie learns.

So.. even thought it had much flashbacks, it did explained and developed much. Weird, but I really liked it.
  • A great deal of this episode deals with flashbacks of Katherine and the boys. In the here and now everyone is looking for the grimoire that speaks of how to release Katherine and the others from the tomb. Anna is seen from the past as Pearl's daughter.

***** Spoilers Enclosed *****

It seems there were quite a few powerful and old vampires trapped in that tomb. We meet Katherine and her friend Pearl played by Kelly Hu who Johnathan Gilbert had fancied himself before they found out she was a vampire as well.

It seems that Pearl and Katherine both were able to walk during the day the same way the Salvatore brothers do today. Anna being from that far back and the realization that she is at least as old as the brothers and probably older is a revelation. So it seems she has as much or more at stake then Damon does.

Giuseppe Salvatore played by James Remar was excellent as the boys father and certainly was earnest in his work. The main question that comes up to me is how did the boys become vampires if they had already captured Katherine before she turned them? Interesting...

Not an overly exciting episode as these flashback type episodes can be. I found it interesting that a lot was easily revealed in this episode like Alaric's relationship to Damon the fact that his wife's body was never found, also that we believe from earlier the wife was Isabel who had Elena before she was adopted out. All very interesting twists.

Anna seems like your usual vampiress. Making minions to do her bidding and using them as long as they are useful to her. Bonnie of course being the witch she is was not duped, but now we don't know her fate at this point. This show has never been faint hearted about killing someone off, even a main character.

A fact filled historical romp through the lives of the brothers and some of how they got here. There is a lot yet to reveal. Hopefully we'll see this tomb situation resolved soon. Thanks for reading...