A The Vampire Diaries Community
Friday 8:00 PM on The CW
It is no news that The Vampire Diaries is currently in a bit of a rut. @Kaonn7 wrote a great article (go read it if you haven't yet) that covers a lot of the shows problematic creative choices of the current season.

However, a lot of fans believe that the show started losing it's sparkle long before Season 5. Some believe it was around the time showrunner Kevin Williamson left to pursue other projects, others say Elena's transition into a Vampire ruined it all and some are convinced that once The Originals left, so did the excitement.

But you are your own person with your own opinion and you know exactly when you stopped enjoying the show! So I have created this poll to get an idea of when and where you think it all started to go wrong.

Please vote for the season in which you believe the shows quality dropped the most. I've included key plot developments next to each season to refresh your memories.

poll

Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments and let's try to figure this out!
Comments (122)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Season 4 by a 100 miles. Just the endless shoving down our throats of Delena and the character assassination of Stefan. Season 4 just reeked of desperation on the show-runners. The worst part of it is they didn't need to. The show was still strong despite some clunkiness . Instead they made the strongest element of the show the relationships between the three leads into the weakest.
Flag
No one is going to be to happy with what i have to say about this but i unfortunately believe that this program was doomed from the beginning. This is though from the point of view of a books fan.
This was never going to work i realized this as soon as the program started because they changed the ages and genders of many of the main characters, season one and two were mostly okay and i could handle the change but it went down hill from there. They stopped following the books during season 2.
If it was the vampire factor that annoyed the viewer then that's another mistake the producers made because yes tat does happen in the book, but she then later in dies and comes back as a human who has to learn the ways of life all over again and re gain her memory. i know this wont end the same way as the books because in the books elena has to go back to before she met the brothers and make sure they do not fall in love with her, this was my favorite part of the book but unfortunately i always knew they wouldn't follow the books. this is the only program\film i have ever seen that's based on a book which stops following the story line.
I can only hope that the mortal instruments shadowhuners follows the books in a more appealing and accurate way.
More+
Flag
Before you read it, I just want to let you know, I'm just a fan who is strongly opinionated about this show, so if you don't like my opinion, don't bother reading or commenting. Beware! lol. But for those who are looking to relate, PLEASE CONTINUE READING!
I loved all four seasons of TVD. When both Katherine and the originals came into it, it made the show come to life. I liked the first half of season 5 with Silas and Amara's storyline and Katherine and her daughter's storyline. But as soon as they killed off Katherine and Nadia and brought in the Travellers, it lost the plot. I didn't see the purpose or appeal of them at all. I felt that the travellers were just a random plot storyline and it made it boring. Now I'll talk about season 6. Caroline and Enzo seemed to make a decent couple, although I'm a hardcore Klaroline fan, they did seem to have a likely appeal to the show. I felt that putting Bonnie and Damon into the other side was okay but I found it pointless making Elena go with Stefan and then Damon trying to remind Elena of who he was. The show in my opinion should've finished at season 5 or 6 at least. That way instead of killing off Elena, all characters could've had their happy ending. Such as maybe if they left Katherine alive, then she and Stefan could've started over and Caroline could pursue Klaus in The Originals, Matt finds himself out of mystic falls with Jeremy in a good professional job. And Alaric could've finally gotten a second chance at love. I swear the man's love life is tragic! Bonnie could've gone following in her grandmother's footsteps by mentoring other young witches. And Elena could be with Damon living happily. Yeah I'm a sucker for happy endings. But now they have this ridiculous plot that their mother is hell bent on saving her vamp family instead of her own flesh born sons. And here I thought Esther was bad. Personally I think it's just a ploy to save the show and it's really sad that they have dragged it out to a point where it's pointless to watch. Sorry but that's my opinion.
More+
Flag
Hugest mistake was making it seem like Elena's love for Damon was only because she turned. They back tracked from it a little but we never got the human Elena truly loving him. From that point on the relationship lost credibility.
Flag
I truly believe season 4 is where everything changed: Please read this : http://sityoursiredassdown.tumblr.com/post/105009355039/soul-mates-why-damon-is-not-elenas
Flag
The vampire diaries was never a show I thought I would like, since every time I used to browse past it on TV it was only people talking, which looked really boring. The first episode was a little trite with the two writing in their diaries and being all melodramatic, but the introduction of Damon was amazing, and then I really started to get into the characters (except Caroline, who was super annoying in Season 1) and loved the ups and down and all the excitement of the show.

I liked parts of season 4 but to me Damon and Elena should've only been teased at, I love the thought of a love triangle but Stefan and Elena went through so much, the writers took so much to make their love seem real, it was really sad for Elena and Stefan to break up, it was like the writers were thought, "Well everyone's bored of that, let's just put Elena and Damon together since there are a lot of fanshippers who would watch the show just for that. "
Flag
I liked season five with the doppleganger stuff. I thought that Silas didn't stick around long enough and it lost some direction, but I don't feel like this show EVER lost direction! Sheesh. Can you put that on the test? There was no answer for that, so Just put season 1.
Flag
I meant it never lost quality, sorry.
Flag

As much as I loved the first three seasons, and enjoyed the fourth, I have to admit that I didn't even finished the fifth.

Where do I even start? I never was a big fan of Elena's character, but still, it was okay. Until now. The whole "I want you- I don't want you" thing with Damon just seemed to exceedingly irritate me. Jeez, get those two together, pleeease, so we can move on to another (less recycled) story-line!! And the love triangle with Stefan?! Whaat? It totally ruins the character! Stefan is not my favourite, but he's (was) not fatuous! Just get over it, and find something else for teenagers' daydreams. And, for christ's sake, why introduce brand new characters (that I don't like, except Enzo, but that's personal) if you just kill them all after a few episodes? People will just get less attached to characters.
Now, the really heavy stuff. Yeah, you know what I am talking about, people. Caroline and Stefan. WHAT.THE.HELL. I get it. I understand that the show needs romance and everything. But those two together? Really? They are besties! She worshipped his couple with Elena! She was the best Stelena fan!! Am I the only one who gets the feeling that this is horribly wrong or what? Weasley talked in an interview about "sparkles" between the two characters. Ehm... what sparkles? All that I can see, is that they are ruining one of the best friendship dynamic in the show. What is that? American Pie? Not everyone needs to have sex with everyone to get the show on!
Well, to finish this, I'Il just quote RB37: ARE THEY THAT SHORT FOR IDEAS????

More+
Flag
Omg, I agree with everything you said. Especially the Caroline & Stefan thing. ITS JUST WRONG! An awful writing decision that makes no sense like you said, she is a Stelena shipper! She was trying to get Elena & Stefan back together all of Season 4, so for her to suddenly start having feelings for Stefan?? Her best friend! It's just ridiculous!
Flag
For sure it was after the end of season three when Elena turns. The writers got you all taken in by her choosing Stefan and that dramatic ending and it all being her and Stefan as though it was always meant to be and "it was always Stefan" for them in the next season to make her choose Damon......it was a total waste of getting us so connected to Stefan and Elena that Damon and Elena was just crap. The writers ruined it. I can see Stefan and Caroline coming which I will HATE. Are they that shirt for ideas????
Flag
I gotta agree with everything you said. It's not that I am some fan girl shipper but as you put it, the show asked us to invest in Elena and Stefan and it was set up that way from day one. Their relationship and the love they had for one another was palpable.
And it's not like I hated Damon. I actually loved Damon in S1 -3 despite his morally corrupt predicaments. However, I didn't feel like the show wanted me to invest in a romantic relationship between him and Elena but rather asked me to invest in his unrequited love for her and his general weakness for Katherine's doppelgänger. Hell, even after he professed his feelings for Elena, he still wanted to be with Katherine. And if Katherine had reciprocated after she resurfaced he would've forgotten about his crush on lookalike Elena. Damon was always more infatuated then "in love" with Elena. It certainly was never unconditional.

But most of all, the show wanted me to invest in the unbreakable bond between Damon & Stefan despite their deeply fractured relationship. They were almost the foundation upon which the show was built. Two brothers who had so much animosity toward each other and yet their bond was still so strong that they would literally die for one another.

So then we have Elena who hated the mere idea of ever becoming a vampire and despite her love for Stefan, she wanted to live on her own terms. Suddenly due to a series of unfortunate events, Elena becomes a Vampire. Instead of the show exploring her transition with dignity and depth, they jumped the shark. And Elenas entire transition into a Vampire became about which brother she was more attracted to. And to make matters worse, instead of having her organically experience falling out of love with Stefan and then falling in love with Damon, they whiplashed the entire audience with the ridiculous "sire bond" storyline which essentially striped Elena of her free will and identity. She was now an emotional slave and Damon was forced to give into his animalistic urges, despite his better judgement.

The horrendous way the writers wrote the Elena/Damon romance, I found it very difficult, if not impossible to care about them as two individuals who happened to fall in love under the uncomfortable circumstance that she was his brothers "love of his life". No, that wasn't a crazy predicament enough, they had to sire bond Elena to Damon and make the entire romance angle of the story feel completely tainted. And even after the supposed sire bond magically disappeared via another convenient plot device: "the on/off humanity switch" got turned to "off". Again something that was ordered on Elena by her sire master/lover Damon. Fast forward a few episodes and her humanity switch back to "on" and suddenly she's professing her grandiose love for Damon, despite the fact that she's only had 2-3 free will days after a whole season of no free will. How could she possibly gather her thoughts on her whole transition within such a short span, let alone decide or come to the realisation that Damon is now "the love of her life"? Come on! If they had explored this throughout at least one season of Elena being a 100% sire free Vampire, coming to terms with it and then organically developing a romantic relationship with Damon, maybe it could've worked.
Instead they forced them down out throats (due to some fantasy requests by 15 year old fan girls with "Delena" boners) in such a clunky misguided way. And then once they decided that Damon and Elena were "the couple" instead of leaving it at that and proving this relationship to the viewers, they had them breaking up and arguing all season long only to reconcile in the least two episodes purely for dramatic purpose.

Halfway through season 3, the show just started taking one wrong turn after another. Each time getting more absurd with the very questionable plot developments and creative choices that required not just your standard "suspension of disbelief" (which I usually have no issues with) but leaps of logic and complete disregard for giant plot holes. I'm even ok with plot holes if the characters are solid and grounded. But unfortunate every character has also suffered and been severely compromised via bad writing that befell the show very soon after Kevin Williamson left. Julie Plec just had no idea how to continue the story and write a show for the audience. Instead it seems, she is writing the show for herself whilst stealing ideas from 15 year old girls' Tumblr blogs and fan fiction.

I really don't say say this lightly because I used to love this show and it hurts that it went so far off track, but I'm getting to a point where I am questioning whether watching is even worth it anymore. Why watch a show that constantly keeps on disappointing or angering you? That is a question that has been plaguing me for the last two seasons. Letting go of something you were once so invested in is not that easy.
More +
Flag
Season 1 and 2 were the best because they had actual storylines. The addition of the Originals in season 2/3 was a great idea, except that in the end it damaged TVD. They were around for too long. Season 4 was horrible. "The cure", "the sire bond", "professor Shane" and "Silas" were the poorest plotlines EVER. The only redeeming quality was Katherine.

Season 5 has been all over the place with no time to develop any characters except for Katherine and then she died. I wish she could have just left with Nadia and be happy. I hope they come to regret killing her.
Flag
Totally agree with this. The phrase "clutching at straws" comes to mind.
Flag
I agree with everything except that I liked the Silas/Tessa/Amara storyline
Flag
Really? Can you tell me what you liked about it specifically?
I mean, I enjoyed the fact that we got to see Stefan's dopplegänger and that Paul Wesley got to showcase his acting skills.. I even liked the idea that Stefan & Elena were fated to be together but I didn't like the execution of it. Still, it was definitely a more interesting storyline then Dr. Wes & the Widmore experiments. But what sucks is that now it's all been retconned by "the dopplegänger prophecy" just being some elaborate ruse by the travellers. Which really makes the Silas/Amara/Tessa storyline feel like a cheap cheat (or Stelena placating) and a recycled one at that, because we already had a false curse in S2 - "the sun & moon curse". What's worse it seems they're also recycling the terrible "the cure" storyline via the travellers.
Ugh, I really don't like the travellers storyline so far. I hope at least something interesting comes out of it, like dead fan-favourite characters able to come back: maybe Lexi & Alaric. That would be a pretty cool save for the terrible mess that is: the travellers.
Flag
The Silas storyline might have been a decent idea but they had no idea how to go with it. Silas started as something terrifing that would bring hell on earth, but ended up doing practically nothing. I mean he wanted to dissolve the other side, that wouldn't really affect our world.

Then there are so many absurd contradictions that make no sense what so ever. Presumably, Tessa wanted him to have the cure and become human so she could kill him and he'll be in the other side without Amara forever, but Amara was the anchor so wouldn't that mean that she would be able to see and be with him forever?

I'm not even getting into the whole trapping him in a cave and sending the hunters after him even though Tessa was the one who trapped him in the first place? Couldn't she just tell the hunters where to go?

I could go on for hours on this one.

It was a decent idea, but the execution was dreadful.
Flag
I agree 100%. Terrible, dreadful execution of a decent idea. Actually, that pretty much sums up the entire show these days.
Flag
I liked all 3 characters.plus ever since that storyline ended,the season started to get worse plots.the Augustine Vampire plot just sucked,the plot of Katherine in Elena's body made her look bad along with having fans turn on her,and this Markos storyline is bad especially with them once again having a traveler taking over a member of the gang's body only for them not being able to get Tyler back since the dagger is gone unless there's a miracle.I thought it was gonna be a good season in the beginning,but now it really sucks
Flag
Yes, you have a point. Thank you for elaborating.
Flag
I agree with everything you just said.
Flag
Season three, was defiantly my favorite, mostly bacause of the originals, but I also enjoyed ripper/no humanity Stefan a lot and the ping pong between him and Klaus. Season 4 was good for the most part, with the original siblings still being there, somehow. So it all went really bad in season five, with no real plot, whatsoever, with it's only redeeming element in the all too short appearence of Rebecca and Klaus in episode 11... Yeah, I'm one of those the-show-died-when-the-originals-left-people, good thing they have their show, otherwise I would miss them...
Flag
Yeah, I'm probably in the other camp. I think the show stared going downhill when Klaus showed up and started trying to make a hybrid army. But Season 3 was still ok up until the halfway mark and when Alaric started to have the double-personality thing, it just started getting progressively worse. But that's only my opinion though. I do enjoy "The Originals" but I just wish they had their own show from the get go, instead of taking TVD down and then bailing. Lol
Flag
Where's the humanity. Matt is the only regular cast member besides the sheriff who is totally human. Well, he was possessed but it wasn't him. Elena and Damon have this lust fest going on and Stefan, well he cares about everyone, but at the same time he seems to have turned off his own feelings. Katherine was the best arch enemy for this show. She will be missed. There are just to many supernatural beings in Mystic Falls.
Flag
That's a great point.
Flag
Season 3 was still ok, s 1 and 2 were really great.
S 4 was a mess, and s 5 is 100 times worse. Looks like the writers have no idea what they are doing and they are recycling old characters and old story lines over and over again. I have no idea what is going on, what was the point of silas or nadia or wes or who else was there.
Flag
This is why we need Kevin back. Caroline Dries just completely has no idea what she's doing.
Flag
I think the idea is that they thought if they'll dump a lot of characters and kill them it will somehow make people going "wow, that's unpredictable" but in reality it just got us to snooze and be even less involved if any new character is going to die soon enough.

Jesse? Aaron? Nadia? Wes? Sloan? Silas? Amara? Greggor? Tom? Heck, Enzo technically died so basically I'm saying that every single new character this season died. So why would I even bother noticing new characters now?

The exception is the witch twins - who in my opinion - are the absolute worst part of this season.

Markos will keep the tradition and probably stay for next season (See: John, Klaus, Silas)
Flag
Completely agree. Those witch twins.... What the hell was that?? So much wasted with writers not knowing what they are doing??
Flag
Season 2 was the most interesting and fun filled episode.The introduction of the adorable Elijah
Flag
Yeah, Season 2 was my favourite as well.
Flag
mine too.It was when the show evolved.Although all of the characters had screen time,the whole show revolved around the Stelena/Delena love triangle and anything that had to do with the Gilbert family in season 1.Characters like Tyler,Caroline & Matt were on screen,but were mostly partying,sports,and that type of stuff.Then season 2 came along and they got more screen action with Caroline becoming a vampire and Tyler becoming a werewolf which caused a new love triangle to develop and people weren't just caring about who Elena should be with.Caroline's popularity increased when people started fighting over whether she should stick with wanting Matt or be with Tyler.But what really made the season was the action & mystery.The surprise of Katherine who was talked about as Stefan & Damon's girlfriend in 1864 is now in the present time of Mystic Falls and she's making the lives of our favorite characters miserable and we didn't know why for episodes until finding out it was because of Klaus coming.She was going to get the moonstone,a vampire,a werewolf and a witch along with Elena to give Klaus in exchange for her freedom because she was tired of running from for centuries.Then there were so many chapters along with it.The vampires/werewolves rivalry,the talk about the curse that needed to be broken.They thought it was the sun & moon curse that turned out to be fake,It was Klaus' hybrid curse.Then you have the ending being Jeremy seeing his dead ex-girlfriends which was unexpected since it didn't end with it being about Stefan,Elena & Damon.It was great that the writers chose the end the season with a different main character.Speaking of Klaus,they're doing this season with Markos the way that they did with Klaus in season 2 which was not have him be shown until the season is almost over.The difference is we knew about Klaus since episode 8 of season 2.They've never even brought up Markos.They haven't even put any clues about him coming or not even bringing his name up yet.That shows how "brilliant" the writers are now because the show is not the same as it used to be
More +
Flag
Oh, season 2 was awesome.
I agree about Markos. So lame. We still don't even know much about "the travellers" let alone Markos.
Flag
I chose the first option because, in my opinion, the show hasn't lost any quality. I remember episodes in every season that made me roll my eyes. But most episodes are fantastic and super fun to watch.
Flag
i still enjoy tvd as much i use to enjoy in 1,2,3,4 season
Flag
That's probably much better for your health. :-)
Flag
Season four was the worst season ever. I do not even know if I can rewatch it again.
Flag
I agree. I love re watching Seasons 1 & 2! I can get through a re watch of Season 3, even though the second half is terrible IMO. But Season 4? I can't even!
Flag
the show was good until sometime in part 2 of season 3 especially when they stopped with the Let's Kill Klaus plot and went with a new plot as of episode 18.Season 4 was boring until Katherine showed up again
Flag
I really loved the show up until season 4. To be honest, I think season 4 was terrible overall and had only a few good episodes. With seasons 1-3 I would excitedly watch the new episode of the show as soon as I could but season 4 was the first season when I had to force myself to watch it in the hopes that it was a good episode.
I personally think that the love triangle aspect of the show has gone on for far too long. It's boring, and I can't bring myself to care about it. I think Elena either needs to end up with one of them and stay with him or with neither of them and that will be the end of it.
Another problem I started having with the show was the character of Elena, while she was never my favourite character and I always thought she was a bit bland and under-developed in comparison with the others, I didn't have a problem with her until towards the end of season 3. She and Matt helped to murder Finn, who had never done anything to hurt them, for their own gain and his entire bloodline died with him. While they didn't know that this would happen, not one of them showed a shred of remorse for the fact that they had murdered a group of strangers who had never harmed them. They were also prepared to do it again as long as they didn't kill the original who started the bloodline of their vampire friends.
Elena convinced Jeremy to kill Kol in season 4 and his entire bloodline so that Jeremy could complete the hunter's mark and they could find the cure for her. The girl has actually been involved in genocide twice and nobody has ever called her out on it and I always get the feeling that she's meant to be a moral character despite these terrible things she's done.
The writers confuse me because we're clearly supposed to think of vampires like Damon, Elena, Stefan, Caroline etc as being people, but are we supposed to believe that no other vampires are and that it's okay to kill them?
So basically, murder is okay as long as your friends are committing it, otherwise it's bad.
More+
Flag
I agree with everything !! I always thought that Elena has always been VERY selfish.
Flag
I agree with everything you said. The little(!) genocide issue that was completely ignored really, really pissed me off. A year later it still pisses me off whenever I think about it. It wouldn't have been so bad if any of the other characters had called Elena out on it, or if she had shown even the slightest bit of remorse, but no. Everyone on the show and the writers themselves seemed to think it was perfectly okay for her to murder tens of thousands of vampires. As long as they weren't her friends. Let's not forget that her reason for the genocide was so she could find the cure for herself. She literally values her own happiness above the lives of thousands of others. She is the biggest monster on the show, and in real life she would be classified with the infamous dictators and mass murderers for her horrendous crimes. Yet her friends STILL act like she's some kind of saint. She's not a saint; she's a terrible person.
Flag
I just don't get how the writers are getting away with it!
Flag
Yes, the show no longer has a moral compass. Well said! 👍

Flag
I think the show made a real turn for the worst in season 4, but the signs were there before that. For me personally the show took a turn the second I started liking the villains more than the good guys, and that happened when Elena stabbed Rebekah in the back in season 3. I mean I liked Katherine, Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah and every other so called villain on the show, but that moment was the first time I was on their side. I really disliked Elena after that and you can't really enjoy the show when you're cheering for the other side.
Flag
Yes, that was a literal stab in the back - and a stab through the audiences hearts.
You're right. We're not supposed to be rooting for the bad guys. Thats what people are doing with Katherine and now the show will turn her into a real bitch just as we started to love her again. Another thing that I'm not very fond of is the constant shifting. One minute a character is the good guy and the next they're the villain. I know that for long running serials it's necessary to allow for the narrative but I'd prefer it if the characters were evolving, rather then devolving.
Flag
At this point I am not sure what they can do to make me dislike Katherine. To be fair she never really was truly good, but she is fun to watch and there aren't that many characters with the quality on TVD anymore. I completely agree about making good characters bad, but the thing is that even when they go back to being good again I just simply no longer like them. I mean Elena stabbing Rebekah in the back is the perfect example, no matter how much time passes by I will always remember that BITCH MOVE. And what also annoys me very much is the double standard. Everything Elena and her posy do to protect each other is OK they can kill whoever they need to to save themselves and we are supposed to be OK with it, but when Rebekah killed Elena to save herself and her brothers we were supposed to be mad at her. One of my favorite scenes on the series was when Rebekah pointed this out to Stefan on the island. That is why nothing they do can make me start hating Katherine, because just like Katherine the "good guys" have also done some horrible things to save themselves so why is she the "bad guy"
More +
Flag
I don't know, I'm just going based of how the writers often manage to devolve a character. The only reason that I bring up Katherine is because now that she's back to being a Vampire (or at least residing in the body of one) she has suddenly lost a lot of that growth & redemption that she gained during the first half of this season. For example, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that her No.1 goal is to get win Stefan over. It just seems a little too easy and too naive for someone as old and as intelligent as Katherine. I know she's always had feelings for Stefan. He was someone she truly loved - I get that. But she didn't seem to have too much of an issue with leaving him behind for 100+ years.
I'd buy her sudden obsession to get Stefan back if she hadn't fallen for anyone else. But not so long ago she was in love with Elijah. Or at least she claimed to be in love with him.
Flag
I completely agree with that, in fact most things that are happening right now make zero sense. Like Damon suddenly becoming worse than he ever was, they are making it seem as if being with Elena is the only thing that made him a decent person and that just doesn't make sense. Or Katherine staying in Mystic Falls after hijacking Elena's body. This is the same women who eluded Klaus for 500 years she should be smart enough to know that staying close to Elena's friends is a bad idea.
Flag
i am SICK of watching the main characters getting biatch slapped around on a regular basis. the characters are starting to look week. COME ON!! THEIR VAMPIRES!! SUPERNATURAL BEINGS WITH IMMENSE POWERS!

but it seems like they are all getting beat down and looking like the cowards of the county to much these days. something MAJOR and EARTH SHATTERING needs to happen to them beside who is doing elena this week and who is drowning their sorrows over her. i want to see more SERIOUS power happening with them, especially CAROLINE [my fav VD character] who is in nothing but emo rotation and den mother.

i want her to remain her good, bubbly [and hot] self, but she needs a serious boost of lady vamp power. and a caroline/stephan hookup SHOULD happen at some point. they are MADE for each other and stephan needs a SERIOUS partner in doo gooding. he is withering under the weight.

he and caroline both need power surges giving them more strength and invincability instead of the punching bags for every supernatural [or human] bad guy who walks into town. when JEREMY was getting his power boost through the hunter/tattoo thing, that was great! we just need these plots to start getting off the emo relationship vamps in distress show.

even the ORIGINALS is getting to vulnerable, to soon. right when i am starting to root for klause, he becomes a witch b-itch!! TO SOON FOR THAT!!

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX DIARIES, bump up the characters with better powers, more banding together and whipping major arse on foes.
More+
Flag
That's a good point but I'd really prefer if Stefan and Caroline didn't hook up because that would just mean more emo crap.
I mean, it would be really great to see that a guy and a girl (on this kind of a show) can remain just friends.
But yeah, every character could do with a power boost and everyone teaming up (instead of always going against eachother and having little bitch fights) to fight a common enemy would really change things up.
Flag
Yeah, that's how I feel about Steroline too. They had their awkward moment in Season 1 and now they're best friends. He said she reminded him of Lexi. Why can't they stay that way? I definitely agree with everything else though.

I'm not a huge fan of TO, but I do think that after dealing with the Originals, this season should have been about the MF gang getting their powers back. After dealing with the strongest vamps in history, everyone else should feel like child's play. The Originals leaving before they dealt with Silas was a bad idea to me because that was a chance for a REAL team up. I never wanted the Originals to leave in the first place, but it would have been better if their departure was more like, "let's forget out differences for a minute, band together to stop the apocalypse, and then go our separate ways." Silas was suppose to be a monumental threat so how in the world were our guys suppose to deal with it on their own? They weren't, hence the reason why the Silas arc was such crap. They had to dumb down Silas, give him the most ridiculous goal ever and have our heroes HELP him rather than actually stop him. and the way Silas died? WTH was that?
More +
Flag
Yes, Silas - the suicidal grump! Such a lame, wasted opportunity.
Flag
The moment Caroline "died" and then became awesome in season 2, she became my main reason for watching. Which in turn means that my enjoyment of the show often depends on what they're doing with that character.
The problem with that, now that the show isn't really keeping me around in general, is that the character I'd usually stick out all the boredom and ridiculousness for, is practically unrecognizable these days. A lot of seasons ago Caroline became one of the most sympathetic and well-liked characters of the show, but it's good to remember that the viewers didn't actually like the initial character of "Caroline" - she was around from episode one and she was THE WORST. The reason people started liking her, was the person she came to be. And the last few seasons it's like they've completely lost that person. Now the showrunners seem to be counting on the audience loving the Caroline character so much, that we'll overlook how incoherent and somewhat annoying she has become. But they've forgotten that it was never the character's mere presence that made us like her - we only started liking her when she became the person she was in season 2 and most of season 3. We liked her personality and behavior, not her shiny hair and fancy outfits. If they wanna make fans happy about her being in a storyline or an episode, It is not enough that she is simply there, she has to actually act like the Caroline viewers know and like.
She was once unfailingly kind, self reliant, smart and resourceful. Now she's petty, whiny, confused - and ditzy. We were once shown that she did great in school, was a perfectionist and obviously super into organization and flashcards. Now she's the blonde dummy they use when they need someone to say something stupid or she's the one used for exposition, who says "I don't understand anything" so that another character can simplify and slowly explain to her -and the viewers- what's going on. It's beneath the character she once was, it's beneath the show and it's beneath the viewers.
At this point I've ceased to watch the show regularly, but I usually catch up once a month or so.
For me, the show always had one redeemable quality. One thing that made me come back to the show, even when the rest of it annoyed me. And now they've made that reason annoying too.
Which is a really long way of saying: Season 4.
More+
Flag
I know what a dick Damon was to her but her constant snark and bashing of the Delena relationship irked me. Not enough to hate the character but it has made me be annoyed.
Flag
I agree with you sooo much! I hate what they've done with Caroline. I too, used to love her but now she is insufferable and beyond stupid. You're right, she's been reduced to the ditz plot device. Great comment, I really don't need to add anything more...you've said it all for me.
Like x 10 for this comment!
Flag
This season the show has jumped the shark. I don't give a fuck about Katherine and her stupud ass brain dead daughter needs to be beheaded to spare us her terrible accent. Caroline has become a judgemental, vapid useless bitch. Bonnie the few episodes she's in acts like a lovestruck teenager who can't string together two coherent sentences without making goo goo eyes at Jeremy. Matt who was always useless has become even more so. The only interesting development this year has been the introduction of Enzo and the revelation about Damon's past as an Augustine vampire. Truthfully can they kill everyone and let Damon and Enzo have the run of mystic falls. Oh where are the town leaders during all of this? Sheriff Forbes another 30 dead bodies have been found in the forrest.
Flag
Hehe...it's always nice to read a really passionate comment. I get your frustration. I totally agree about Caroline and Bonnie. As far as Katherine goes, like I said, I have a feeling they're writing her character out of the show. However, the actress who plays Nadia - that's actually her real accent. She's Russian IRL.
Flag
I think the introduction of the cure brought about sad times in Mystic Falls. I still love the show though!
Flag
Season 3. I liked s1-3 I liked the beginning of season 4 bcs there wasn't that much blood but after rewatching them, s4 only started getting good at the end
Flag
I struggled between choosing Season 4 or 5, because I prefer Elena as a human so much more than as a vampire. However, Season 4 still had the Originals, and I still cared about the Elena/Stefan/Damon love triangle.

Sadly now I am completely over the triangle, I miss the Originals, and I really don't care that much about any of the current storylines. In fact, most of them make me angry. I can't believe they've reduced Katherine and Elena to one body. I don't wish to see Damon or Stefan become evil again (been there, done that). And I hate the Augustine story and the Travellers.
Flag
I have mixed feelings about the Kat/Elena thing. It just seems like a setup for Kat to die. Then Damon being bad... I don't get it to this degree unless his humanity was turned off. Now THAT I may not mind seeing. But yeah... I'm almost really disliking him now. *shrugs* He's still hot, though. LOL
Flag
Yeah I can't help but get that same feeling about Katherine. I think they're slowly preparing us and setting up for her demise.
Flag
You are both likely right about Katherine. It's hard to come back from sharing a body.
Flag
I would love for Katherine to be a vampire again, and Elena human. But, seeing as we just saw Katherine age and die after becoming human, wouldn't the same thing happen to Amara's body? And isn't Amara already dead? We're gonna need another doppelganger!
Flag
Yes I think so. However, there are quite a few theories out there claiming that Katherine will stay in Elena's body (and thus remain a Vampire) and that they'll transfer Elena into Amaras (umm....hasn't it decomposed by now?) body, thus making Elena human again.
Flag
Yes, he is definitely still hot!
Flag
Those are all very good points. :)
Flag
I don't know what you are saying. The Vampire Diaries is still awesome and I think it is a whole lot better than The Originals. I love me some TVD.
Flag
Oh it's definitely a good show. Any show that can last for over 100 episodes and still keep it's audience engaged - even if the audience becomes frustrated with certain creative decisions - if it's stirring up people's emotions and polarising opinions it is definitely doing it right.
This article is for fans of the show. So I wasn't implying that the show is bad. :)
Flag
I couldnt choose anything because there wasnt an option for the second half of season 3. The first half was fantastic. Around episode 14 or so it really starts to go off the rails. After that, its been pretty much hit and miss. It still manages some really great moments though.
Flag
Yeah, I think a lot of fans would agree with you. That's probably one of the reasons why S4 is getting the most votes because most people don't want to vote for S3 because the first half was good. I might do another poll and split each season into two, just to see if it changes the majority vote to the second half of Season 3.
Flag
It's hard to choose a specific season. I don't think the show was ever really good, but I don't want to choose 1, because didn't the show get better after that? (Maybe it didn't. I know the pilot episode was bad, but I don't remember much from the rest of the season). I think all of the seasons have plenty of garbage in them, but Elena being turned is not an example of that. The show needed that change.
Flag
I think most fans believe that the shows quality peaked in Season 2 - or at least got a lot better. I agree with you about Elena, I also believe that it was necessary to move the story forward. I just don't really like the way it was handled.
Actually most fans weren't happy with it - especially because her Vampirism was turned into a weakness and a breakdown of her character (instead of making her a stronger character like it does with most vampires) and the "sire bond" thing turned her into a victim.
Flag
Meh...it's a 22 episode season. I'd be hard pressed to name a show that doesn't dip over that much time, never mind one that moves as quickly as TVD does.

I'm guessing that many of those complaining are the very same who would make a stink if they drop the season length to 14 and how they're being robbed.

I'm going with Option 5 - quit yer belly achin'
Flag
Which brings up the question of how much longer can it go on for? I think they should end it on season 6 and should not go past a season 7.
Flag
Sure, I completely respect your opinion. It's just that it's a topic worth discussing since so many fans believe that the quality has dropped.
Flag
I know and I get it, but I apply the rule of recency. Every season has had down moments and the show's been on long enough that this most current dip could be viewed as a quality drop...because it's fresh in everybody's minds.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the Silas arc...it just ran too long, hence my point about the 22 episode season. That said, it did lay some necessary groundwork for the current arcs which I think are some of the strongest of the series.

But maybe that's just me :)
Flag
I doubt it's just you. The show is still good quality television - regardless of what I'm referring to as "the drop in quality". You're absolutely right, making a 12-14 episode show is challenging for the biggest cable networks - let alone 22 episode instalments that have to conform to standard network rules and still try to keep the audience stimulated on a weekly basis.
Flag
If we presume that the writers had the entire season arced out and that the whole Silas story line was meant to...

- Introduce the idea of the cosmic connection between doppelgangers
- Mess up Stephan to such a degree that it pulls he and Caroline (and by extension Katherine) closer together
- Give Damon and Elana time to themselves

...then, while still long, I'd have to call it a success. Those three things right there are the foundation for everything that's going on right now. And I'm diggin' what's going on right now. The potential Katherine redemption and subsequent heel turn is fantastic. I've been waiting for a Stephan/Caroline hook up since Elena got together with Damon. And the Damon turn, while ironically I think was a little quick, does setup nicely for a murderous reunion with Katherine...once Stephan chooses Caroline over her and sends her over the deep end.

The Silas arc probably ran 2 episodes too long and the Damon 180 ran 1 episode too short. But I typically don't judge a season until it's over because with only half the story told thus far, we're all missing the context to determine the quality of a greater story that hasn't been told yet.
More +
Flag
Somewhere in the second part of season 3 IMHO.
Flag
ok i started reading the comments and realised i dun remember many of the storylines (like wtf is shane? which cure are we talking bout? how was elijah like and why did he leave the first time round? what happen to that female dr who uses vamp blood to cure patients instead of real skills/knowledge?)but i never missed any ep. This may not seem like a big deal but if a show is really compelling and the storylines are very good, aint we supposed to remember?
Flag
Shane: Hunky professor and Silas worshipper.
Cure: For immortality. It makes an immortal mortal. So unless you're stuck at the bottom of the ocean, it should be as appealing as taking a cure for handsomeness.
Elijah: Don't remember.
Dr whatshername: I don't remember, but there may or may not have been an F in her name.
Flag
The doctor was Meredith Fell and she was a love interest for Alaric for a while.
Flag
ah ok. i kept thinking if the cure was refering to that time when they were trying to figure out what can cure a werewolf bite to a vamp
Flag
i never like a storyline with Alaric.. so it became was early. i think i started realising around the sun moon curse era why im watching a show like this.. but everytime i thought of giving up, suddenly there was 1 good ep so i continued..
Flag
The show declined when they mentioned the stupid cure and silas, after the mid season finale. and then it just got more and more unbearable with the whole 'humanity' thing, also elena became such a pain in the ass and the doppleganger stuff is BS. i know they didn't changer the writer but it's crazy and sad how this show used to be really interesting in earlier season and become such a mess now
Flag
When Elena turned into a vampire it wasn't as good as the previous three seasons but I still do enjoy this show. Not as great as it used to be but it's hard to have the same quality of a tv show when your five years into the show. So I think it's doing a pretty good job.
Flag
I think the show has only gotten better, I was on the fence for season 1 but as soon as season 2 started it picked up. The less "Human stuff" they have the better. The only problem I have with the show is always talking about "Humanity" they're freaking not human anymore and need to accept it and just play the roles given to them and stop fighting to be a good "Human". Stefan can lose the I like my brother better with Elena act as well but the makers of the show have done a great job in making everyone happy by having a balance even though if it were up to me they would all be Rippers!
Flag
Eek, I thought I would have said the beginning of season four, but I chose season 3. I found Stefan as the big bad kind of a big yawn and I was confused why they needed to treat Alaric as they did.
Flag
Oh! and what the hell with all the dopplegangers (is that how is it spelled? I have no idea). I mean I love Paul Wesly and he's in his bests when he plays the bad guy, but c'mon that was bs.
Also, I don't say this because I'm a delena shipper, but why are the writers still trying to maintain the love triangle???? I just want some closure to that please! In episodes 5x11 and 5x12 Stefan seemed to had moved on and was helpful and wize and I don't know, he was so mature, I loved that version of him, now with this craziness that is Kat in Elena's body they want to throw all that out.

Flag
It was a difficult choice, because, yes season 4 was kind of a let down but I was still waiting for every episode. I don't think Elena becoming a vampire was the problem, but the way it was handled. The cure??? WTF was that? It would had been so much fun watching Elena embrace the vampire life. Jeremy becoming a hunter was a great idea too, it actually made sense, but again, it was totally wasted. Tyler as a pack leader was an interesting idea too, but it was cut too soon and we all kind of knew he didn't stand a chance in front of Klaus (yet, I can't complain much 'cause the scene where Klaus kills the hybrids is one of my favorites, also hot).
Also, as much as I love the idea od Damon and Elena, the fact that they got together just one episode after she broke up with Stefan was just a little weird.
The season went down to the hill when they introduce Silas, probably the worst villain TVD ever had.
Now, the thing is that despite all of these thing, I was still waiting for every episode and I couldn't wait to watch it, now in season 5, weeks can go by and still wouldn't watch the latest episode. I don't know what it is, all I can say is that I still love Stefan, Damon, Elena, Caroline, Matt and Jeremy but I just don't find this season's storylines interesting. May be is the lack of Klaus (who became my favorite character in season 3) or the new characters, I just don't know, but I don't care anymore.
More+
Flag
I don't think Elena turning into vampire was the problem, but the way it was handled. Instead of allowing her to embrace the experience and grow as a character like Caroline did, they made her one of the world's most pathetic vampires. She was mostly in denial about the whole thing.
The cure is what really screwed up the show. Instead of the fast-paced arcs we had been used to, the cure dragged on for the entire season. Because the characters were all obsessed with curing Elena, it didn't allow her or the viewers to adjust to her new life.
There is no doubt that Elena has changed from her days as a human. Unfortunately the changes appear to be the result of terrible writing instead of actual organic character development. As a human she was compassionate to an irritating degree. Life was valuable to her. Now she kills willy nilly (Jesse, the thousands that died when she killed Kol, standing by while Damon fed Katherine to Silas) and doesn't show even a hint of remorse. She quite suddenly went from compassionate do-gooder to remorseless killer without any intermediate stage. To make matters worse, the characters still take her for some saint and don't even acknowledge the fact that she has changed. I don't have a problem with her changing, as long as it was written well and the transformation was intentional. But it appears that the writers just lost sight of who Elena is.
As with all the characters on this show, her character has been ruined by horrible writing that started in season 4.
More+
Flag
I think that it was a combination of Elena becoming a vampire, the originals leaving, Maybe Elena and Damon being too damn overrated (im sorry to say this) and all the fricking fracking dopplegangers like damn TVD How many can you create to follow the plot of the show? Also, Alaric dying was a huuuge mistake. I like ripper Stefan to be honest but in season 4 and 5 they begun this whole thing of turning on and off the humanity and it kind of ruined season 3
ps: it's funny the fact that season one seems to be a problem i mean... it's when the show started. You should have stop there if you didn't like it.
Flag
I actually think since the 100th, things have been great. The reset has been fantastic for the show, and I'm enjoying every second of the Katherine/Elena plot. It did loose me somewhere in season 4, but I'm back now. The Augustine stuff needs to die though.
Flag
"Loosing it's sparkle"? really?
Flag
Lol Yeah sorry....typo!
Fixed. :)
Flag
In this one. It was gettin' very good until now.
Flag
tbh, the first signs of bad plots was introduced when Alaric stated blacking out and Dr. Fell showed up out of nowhere. The rest of that season was good but I actually stopped watching TVD for a while because of that Arc. The Elena brainwashed by Damon thing didn't really help things either, and the Cure/Silas thing was just... more of the same.
Flag
The cure plot line
Flag
This! That plot line started to take everything down a bad path. It was far too long and drawn out. And in the end led to the total unnecessary revisions in the show's history brought on by Silas. Plus Shane was a terrible terrible character.
Flag
This is a trick question! This show was NEVER good.
Flag
I would have to say that Season 4 was when the quality started to drop. The introduction of the cure/Silas storyline, The Originals started to seem unnecessary in that season, April... The were all signs of a quality drop, but what Season 4 did that Season 5 hasn't been doing (at least for me) is building interesting plotlines around all the boring stuff. Even though the Originals seemed overused by Season 4 I wouldn't trade their presence due to that awesome montage of Klaus killing the hybrid and Mayor Lockwood. Plus the cure gave us some interesting character moments.

This season seems to be treading water....
Flag
Season 1 was a very average season, Season 2 has to be my favourite (so much Katherine!), while I liked Stefan as Ripper in Season 3, The Originals started to really wear out their welcome, Season 4 was at least a little more entertaining with Elena's transition into a vampire and the search for The Cure (although both Seasons 3 and 4 suffered from a lack of Katherine in my opinion, and as you can probably guess, I'm quite liking Season 5 because of her.
Flag
That's a pretty good assessment. Yes, Katherine is definitely a fan favourite and she was such a powerful presence in Season 2. She really took the show to the next level.
Flag
If it wasn't for Katherine,this show wouldn't be as great as it is.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members