A The Vampire Diaries Community
The CW (ended 2017)
Hey Guys!

I've been absent from TV.com because I've been suffering from a terrible case of writers block for over a month now. Yesterday I finally decided to confront this bastard head on. As I sat there scared, contemplating how to do this, my late grandmas words suddenly echoed in my head: "When suffering from what ails 'ya, do what Stefan and Elena would: Write a diary child! A Vampire Diary." That's what grams always used to say. So in honour of my grams and in spite of my writers block, I am going to write dammit! I'm going to write about The Vampire Diaries and how I think season six could save this beloved show from certain death. One thing I won't write about is the current rumours surrounding the show and the cast. There's no point to it and I'm not into gossip so lets just focus on the show.

Look guys, I don't like saying this but we have to wake up and smell (or make, or look at,) the flowers. TVD has not been on top of its game last season. If we're gonna be honest, the last time the show was great was probably back in the first half of season three. But just like I wouldn't abandon a friend who sunk into a funk, I'm not going to abandon a show that I've stuck with for five years. And regardless of how conflicted I am going into season six, TVD is still a show I have a lot of love for. I honestly believe that the potential for greatness is still there and with the right tweaking, TVD could come back and knock it out of the park this season. So here are my ideas (and wishes) on what the show could do to rise out of the funk and surprise us with a winner.

1. HOW DO YOU SOLVE A PROBLEM LIKE ELENA?

I couldn't possibly start an article on how to fix TVD without addressing the issue that is Elena Gilbert. I'm one of the people who really liked Elena from the start and frankly, I'm not even sure that the girl we got to know through the first three seasons is still in there. Yes, Elena's transition into a Vampire has changed her character, no doubt about it. Turning Elena into a Vampire was a really good (and bold) move by the writers. The only problem is, I don't think the writers had a proper plan as far as "Elena the Vamp" goes. Her whole transition story in season four was just not very exciting and therefore not the least bit entertaining to watch. Human Elena was a really strong girl who handled the loss of her parents coupled with falling in love with a Vampire and being thrust into the crazy Salvatore saga really REALLY well. She took it like a champ and faced the music. And you know what? It felt real. She was vulnerable without coming off like a victim and I admired that girl. She was basically everything that Bella Swan should've been but wasn't. I know that Elena copped a lot of criticism from the get go but I always felt that the criticism was totally unfounded. Elena was a really likeable character whose actions felt genuine and whose journey I wanted to follow.
This is why it's been so hard to watch Elena devolve into a completely different person over the last couple of seasons. Becoming a Vampire comes with its challenges sure, but Elena's transition story was totally off. It was so out of character and felt like the writers decided to make Elena a winging victim just for the sake of creating drama. A girl like Elena should've faced the challenge and made the best of it. Instead she turned into a shadow of her former self (no pun intended) and became a blubbering mess.
Bring back the old Elena! The real Elena. Let her be single and figure things out on her own instead of leaning on whichever Salvatore is within her proximity for comfort. She's a big girl. She can handle it. Elena needs to stay single for at least half a season and her life needs to be about more then crying over a Salvatore. I'm not saying that she shouldn't grieve Damon and Bonnie's deaths. I'm saying that she should face the grief head on and DEAL WITH IT instead of trying to run away from it by resorting to magical drugs. Let this girl get to know herself again and start evolving into a strong female character. It's not that hard really. Just leave her single long enough for her to grow a backbone without falling on a Salvatore's lap every other episode. Yes, clearly the writers plan is to eventually have Elena end up with one of the brothers but let that be earned. Come on show, these characters are now old and experienced enough to know what's what.

2. DAMON AND BONNIE and their DEATHS

Ok, so we know they're in oblivion somewhere and that they (Spoiler Alert!) are coming back. But the only way their absence will have an impact is if we don't see them for a few episodes. Not even as hallucinations. Let that void be felt writers! The one way to totally ruin season five's cliffhanger would be to show Damon or Bonnie in the season premiere. If they HAVE TO show them, then let it be through scenes that take place in limbo or wherever the two of them ended up. If we're going to see them, then let's see WHERE they are and WHAT challenges they're dealing with. But please don't show me hallucination Damon or imaginary Bonnie through the eyes of Elena or any other "living" character. That takes the suspense and magic right out of it. No more dream sequences please show! Surprise us. Make us miss Damon and Bonnie!!!

BONNIE

Yes we HAVE to talk about Bonnie and all the injustices surrounding her character. Seriously though, when was the last time Bonnie had a good storyline? Rhetorical question because the answer is NEVER. (Nope, not even that one time she was spirit walking in season one) This is a grave injustice. Why? Because Cat Graham can act and because Bonnie deserves it. She's lost everything and everyone since being thrown into Elena's crazy world. She's sacrificed it all to help her friends. Why have we never explored Bonnie's P.O.V? I know what you're thinking: Bonnie is boring and pointless. Bonnie is just a plot coupon. The Deus Ex Machina of TVD. Well guess what? She deserves better. She deserves a proper storyline. Stop using and abusing the poor girl and make her a proper character. Let us see the world through her eyes once in a while. Make us care about Bonnie! This is the perfect chance to make that happen. Bonnie is stuck with Damon somewhere and this is the time to both explore her character as well as the Bonnie/Damon dynamic. There's no love lost between those two and getting through the animosity they have for one another should make one hell of a storyline. Have them team up. Let them get to know each other away from the other characters and the Mystic Falls/Elena drama.

DAMON

The writers like to make it easy on the audience when it comes to Damon. One minute we love him, the next minute we hate him. But when you think about it Damon is the one character who's gotten proper development and momentum in this show. He is still "the bad guy" but he's become the good "bad guy". He has evolved. The only problem is, he hasn't done it for himself. He evolved for Elena. And only Elena. The minute you take her away from him, he goes back to his old ways. And unfortunately this takes his development and throws it out the window. If Damon is only a good person when he's with Elena, what's the point? Are we suppose to accept that he has such a weak character that he can't be his own person without Elena? I don't want to believe that. Damon loves his brother. And as much as he likes to pretend that he doesn't we know that he cares about the people in his life. So I really hope that the writers take the fact that Damon is neither here nor there as an opportunity for Damon to get to know and accept Damon. Let him find a purpose other then existing only for Elena. Let him find his place in this world and open his tough exterior to let others in. There's really no reason to cement Damon as the stereotype antihero. He's so much more then that and now's the time to show that to the audience. Why not have Damon grow by developing a relationship with Bonnie? I don't mean a romantic relationship per se, but give these two a purpose other then saving Elena or Stefan. Speaking of, the brothers really need to sort out their relationship. They love each other so much but they've let Elena break them apart time and time again. There's no reason Damon and Stefan can't become real brothers who stick together. Take it from Klaus and Elijah. Ok, maybe not that volatile/bordering on incest-love but you get my point. They are BROTHERS! Why not put that relationship first? You know, bros before (hoes) girls and all that. Look, I'd settle for a Damon and Bonnie self-discovery storyline for now. I mean that's where the story's at, so why not make the best of it?

STEFAN

Oh boy. Where do I even begin? The Silas/doppelgänger storyline was a hot mess. Stefan has become a secondary character since Elena hooked up with his brother. And this is another grave injustice. TVD is technically Stefan's story but it seems like the writers either forgot that or changed their minds all together. Stefan hasn't been the same since he reverted back to ripper-Stefan in season three. It's time to give the guy a break. Again, as with Damon, Elena is holding Stefan back. The truth is he is STILL (and probably always will be) in love with Elena and he either needs to get away from her until he sorts himself out or he needs to face the problem head on by OWNING IT and telling Elena how he really feels. Yes, Elena and Stefan have had many heart to heart convos since they broke up but is anyone really buying it??
I don't know guys...but I think that Stefan and Elena are better for each other than Damon and Elena. Please hear me out Delena shippers (or kindly post death threats in the comments). Stefan and Elena bring out the best in one another. Elena and Damon bring the worst out of one another.
THE TRIANGLE NEEDS TO DIE. I really don't know where the writers are going with the triangle but I'll take whatever storyline to put an end to it. It's been five seasons! Let's move one. It's either Stelena or Delena - make a choice writers. Or better yet, make them all single for a season. Let them find some self respect before they go head first into the disaster and melodrama that is the triangle. Enough is enough. Let's see a single Stefan earn himself a spot on the main character list again. And if Delena is the final ship the writers want to sail, then at least make the audience invested in their relationship.

CAROLINE

I really don't know about everyone else but I feel like the writers made a huge mistake with Caroline in the last couple of seasons. She went from being the stereotypical ditz blonde to a strong level headed Vampire badass and then back to the stereotypical blonde again. And I think that this was a wrong and totally pointless move. Caroline is (was) probably the strongest, most empowered female character on the show and dumbing her down every time she grows a brain is a crime. This girl knows what she wants and she's faced and overcome her insecurities way back in season two. So why take that away from her by devolving her into the annoying ditz that she used to be whenever it suits the plot? Sure her snark is part of her character but dumb blonde is no longer who she is. Keep the snark and get rid of the ditz. Give us more of level-headed Caroline and less of dumbed down, annoying Caroline. She's more than earned it.
As far as Stefan and Caroline go......I don't know guys. I think that they make great friends and turning them into a couple would take away seasons worth of development between these two. They have a great guy/girl friendship, which is so rare and SO needed on this show. Can we please not ruin that with more relationship drama? TVD can still be a great show without having to make every character into a couple. Plus, Caroline has slept with nearly every guy on the show! Let's give her the respect she deserves by leaving Stefan as just her best friend.

TYLER, MATT and JEREMY

Yes, I've put these three into one group because everything I say about one of them applies to all three of them. The three of them combined barely makes one semi-interesting character. The only advantage that Tyler has over Matt and Jeremy is the fact that his story of reverting back to a guy with a werewolf gene/curse could have some story potential. No more lame-o Hybrids! I'll take it. But I'm not holding my breath when it comes to Tyler. The writers need to either team these three up or find something interesting to give each of them individually. Since they're secondary characters, I'll settle for the former. The three amigos. Going on missions and sticking together. And if there's no interesting stories to give these three, then killing them off might not be such a bad idea. It's TVD. Someone needs to die. The show hasn't had a shocking/emotional perma-death since Alaric (is Katherine dead, dead?) and now that he's back, it's time to go Tyler or Matt or Jeremy. But whatever you do, please make us care. Give us tears once in a while.

ALARIC

Well, anything other the Terminator-Alaric will be better than Terminator-Alaric. So pretty much sky's the limit when it comes to this character. As long as he's one of the good guys ANY storyline the writers have cooked up for him will be entertaining and no doubt breathe new life into the show.

ENZO

Everything I've said about Alaric pretty much goes for Enzo too. Since Enzo's still a new character, there's so much potential here. Let's get to know this guy! Let him keep his wit and sarcasm but make him a bit more then just the smart-ass. Enzo is like the Sawyer of TVD and we know how awesome a character like that can be. Explore Enzo writers!!!! Make us care about him. And if Caroline should hook up or have a romantic relationship with anyone, let it be Enzo. They have similar personalities and watching a cat and mouse game between those two would be television gold.

THE TWINS

Fan-favourite potential alert! They're the new Witches of TVD, no doubt about it. Now that Bonnie's no longer a Witch, the spot is open. Just make them more interesting than "Bonnie the Witch" and it's all good. Luke is the first gay character on this show and since the writers have brought him in, they really shouldn't waste the opportunity that comes with a gay character. First and foremost, it instantly makes the show feel more realistic and more interesting to watch. So I'd love to see a Luke storyline that doesn't involve him sitting in a circle of candles and chanting. The same goes for Liv. The girl's got fire! I can't wait to find out more about her. New characters should be exciting and compelling, so don't waste this opportunity TVD.

STAKES AND A NEW VILLAIN
The show hasn't had a good villain since Klaus and while he's going to be very hard to top, I see no reason why it can't happen. The shows done it before so we know the writers are capable of creating an amazing villain. Let's forget about Silas and Markos and let's make the stakes high by introducing a real villain. A real threat for the characters. Someon they have to really team up against. Someone compelling! Our characters are Vampires so introducing a villain of higher stature or even of different supernatural breed should be the way to go. Just no more Wizards please. Make it a super ancient Vampire or take some tips from Teen Wolf's creatures and villains. It's a supernatural show so why not have more then Vampires and Witches in the mix?? NO REASON

There we are. I think that all of the things I've written above can and would make The Vampire Diaries a lot more interesting to watch than it was in seasons four and five. Raise the stakes, move the characters forward instead of backward, introduce a new villain and make us care and be captivated by the new characters. When I say "new" I'm talking about Enzo and The Twins. There's no point in introducing newer side characters (other then a villain and maybe a romantic interest for Alaric) when we still haven't gotten to know three of the current ones. Like I said, stop missing great opportunities show and dig deeper then the dreaded triangle. Make TVD crazy, compelling and heartfelt again!
Any thoughts guys?? Please chime in in the comments. Help me make sense of it all and let's try and rescue this show. :-)

[P.S. I might be doing a TVD podcast throughout season six, so stand by]
141 Comments
Comments (141)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Feb 22, 2015
Read my blog next week to find out who/what the next villain could be (Great article btw)
http://savingtvd.blogspot.com

Flag
Jan 19, 2015
I just found this post and you are spot on about everything!!!

I used to love Elena so much and the reason I fell in love with TVD was because of the love between Stefan and Elena. I just could never support or like the Delena relationship.. I really tried but they just never work in my opinion. And now their scenes are becoming more and more forced. IDK where to even begin with how badly the writers messed up this show. It's quite sad really.

Some things I hate...
- The one thing I cannot stand and will never get over is this love triangle. I think it is so disgusting that one girl falls in love with one brother and then falls in love with the other brother while still in love with the first one...WTF IS THAT! She Breaks up with Stefan and then sleeps with Damon less than 24 hours later... That really ruined it for me
-How they continue to undermine the relationship that Stefan and Elena had
-What are the points of storylines like the sirebond and compelling Elena to forget about Damon. This just further shows that Damon and Elena don't work because the writers do not know what to do with them.
- Damon's character has is so dependent on Elena and everything is all about Elena.
- Elena makes everything all about Elena.
- Elena seems to handle the death of her parents, Jenna, Jeremy, Bonnie, etc JUST FINE. But just can't deal with Damon's death...??? Give me a break. Yes she did turn her humanity off b/c of Jeremy (Thanks to Damon might I add) but her whole world seems to fall apart because of Damon's "death". Season 1 episode 5 (Titled You're Undead to Me) Elena says: "Honestly, I'm not gonna be one of those pathetic girls whose world stops spinning because of some guy." ... Nuff said lol
- A love that consumes me is not love
- I'm tired of seeing DE break up, have sex, get back together, repeat.
- When you are in a relationship with someone you change for the better. I guess Damon has kind of changed for the better but Elena hasn't. It's supposed to be a 2 way thing.
- WHY IS EVERYTHING ALWAYS ABOUT SAVING ELENA. She is a vampire now.. can't she take care of herself for once?!?
- How everyone treats Bonnie after she continues to sacrifice herself for others. Damon should drop everything and not sleep until he finds a way to bring Bonnie back
- AND TONS MORE

Even though I think Stefan and Elena belong together more, I don't really want them together again because the writers will just F that up. Just as they've messed up the "beloved" Delena. Honestly, Elena needs to be single for a season. In fact, every character on that show needs to just be single for once in their lives. The beginning of season 6 was getting better because Elena hated Damon. TVD i think was ruined when Elena was turned into a vampire and how Delena became 100% of the show.

I'll still watch the show because I love Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, and Kat Graham! Its been so hard to just not care anymore. Probably because I'm still hung up on old TVD (season 1-3) where Stefan and Elena were together, there were good villains, and the show focused on other characters too. I also really love the originals and its doing a much better job than TVD. Sorry this is long and all over the place.

Do you post weekly about the show?

More+
Flag
Nov 09, 2014
few characters need to be presented well,,, and has still chances....
AMARA-SILAS - should come back... eternity starts now...
MATT - Should again have elena as her girlfriend...as was prior season 1
TYLER - Should end up with LIV... they look good together !!
NEW SALVATORE GIRL (sorry i forgot her name) - should take revenge from Damon...damn exciting
STEFAN - TVD is STefan's story... so make him the centre of everything... make him the real hero...
BONNIE - make her the new villian in the show....
ALARIC - let him help Damon with his distance niece's issue
MORE FLASBACKS PLEASE
REBBECA - bring her back .....stefan & rebbeca look great together..
CALORINE - It would be shocking to see her killed for forever... may be by bonnie
...that's all....THIS SHOW is amazing... any of the above can really make the show better !!
Flag
Nov 02, 2014
I think they should put Matt, Jeremy and Tyler together as a Guy Team, they should act as a group of college type guys who don't give a fuck about Elena Team or Salvatore Team or anyone else problems and usually just tell em GTFO. I mean like in Originals should act and think independently, also if someone like Damon trying to force em to do shit they don't want, well this someone will get shot with a wood bullets covered in dog shit. You might ask what purpose of this group? Well since there is no Wolf team like in Originals there will be Guy Team with a shotguns lol, and also this also covers Human team since there only some creepy old timer Tripp who wears fashion Diesel jeans for 200 $ a piece, and can tell he would't stay long also kinda too old to get audience attention.
Flag
Oct 31, 2014
Hi Everyone,This was how me and my Boyfriend became VAMPIRES. I got a guy from the internet called Mr. Smith who was a VAMPIRE so i told him that me and my boyfriend would love to become VAMPIRES so he asked me of my Name ,Country, Age ,State , address and he told me what to do for me and my boyfriend to become a vampire, which i did, he send me his blood immediately and in the next 3 days i got the blood sample through the DHL which me and my boyfriend drank in the next 30 minutes our bodies was transformed, we where transformed into a VAMPIRE , if you are interested in becoming a VAMPIRE. FIRST: Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books, Sure. I understand. You are young; you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: vampiresbloodbank@gmail.com
More+
Flag
Nov 02, 2014
yo it was me who sent you blood i got also my pee and my poo if someone interested to become a unique vampire. call me 8 -555-555-555
Flag
Oct 30, 2014

Every lady needs to hunt a lifetime of beauty with brains. Lisse skin care brains results in an honest career growth at her work and he or she wishes to possess that long lasting beauty too. sadly, once the aging catches up the sweetness is roofed by horrid wrinkles and fine lines. As you age, you start to visualize wrinkles and uneven skin complexion. That’s as a result of the amount of and production within the organic structure begins to drop. Could be a found in your body that keeps your skin firm. Your body contains the best quantity of once you were a baby and young kid. Lisse skin care However by the time you past the age of twenty six, your count decrease by one.5% each single year. In another type of obtainable in your body that enables your skin to be versatile moreover as elastic,

More then ====&&&&....... http://bellaveiphytoceramides.org/lisse-skin-care/

Flag
Oct 29, 2014

My skin snap becomes healthy and every one unwanted signs of aging comes clear overall through such safe means and that i begin trying so young and contemporary than before therefore my confidence level get on my feet and that i becomes terribly happy. however i used to be mistreatment several alternative brands before Diaberine that each one was extremely unable to form my skin freed from aging and that i becomes terribly tense those days because everybody was inform Maine out and creating fun of my choked with aging skin, as a result of that I commit to leave all those gatherings and friends in addition as a result of I don’t need to be fun of other’s as a result of my unwanted horrifying signs. However I return to understand concerning Diaberine that is best age defying bodily fluid and may provides you best glowing and contemporary results through such active means. Official site =====&&&&...... http://hipslimgarcinia.com/diaberine/

Flag
Oct 28, 2014
Hi Everyone,This was how me and my Boyfriend became VAMPIRES. I got a guy from the internet called Mr. Smith who was a VAMPIRE so i told him that me and my boyfriend would love to become VAMPIRES so he asked me of my Name ,Country, Age ,State , address and he told me what to do for me and my boyfriend to become a vampire, which i did, he send me his blood immediately and in the next 3 days i got the blood sample through the DHL which me and my boyfriend drank in the next 30 minutes our bodies was transformed, we where transformed into a VAMPIRE , if you are interested in becoming a VAMPIRE. FIRST: Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books, Sure. I understand. You are young; you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: vampiresbloodbank@gmail.com
More+
Flag
Oct 25, 2014

The lopsided presentation of mind-altering medication by the media actually is an element of the image (and the problem), Neuro3x reality is, I th nk, that we have a tendency to as a society would a lot of like the concept of psychological state as a biological downside. It relieves United States from personal responsibility, for our money investments, our kids, our students. To me, the foremost putting a part of the book is that the description of the callous use of mind-altering medication to regulate youngsters and pathologies utterly traditional childhood behaviors, Neuro3x supported the short effectiveness of the medication and with no regard for the long-run consequences.For Detail ====&&&&&..... http://droz-garciniacambogia.org/neuro3x-where-to-buy/

Flag
Oct 24, 2014
Elliskin that scale back all my skin aging and repair all the skin damages naturally through such safe approach. Nowadays my skin has become in bright and power tool type naturally and that i am proud of my complexion naturally as a result of it prevents my whole loosing method of scleroprotein and helps Maine obtaining back my snap through such safe approach. Thus I’d prefer to say Elliskin is no1 eye repairing blood serum that makes all skinny skin free from unwanted lines naturally. Its active eye repairing formula proves such helpful for my whole facial outer skin layer and makes my skin youthful once more. Is there anybody United Nations agency doesn’t need to seem attractive and charming?
More info click ===&&&&...... http://hipslimgarcinia.com/elliskin/
Flag
Oct 22, 2014

It conjointly developed mental comprehensibility and most vital profit it boosts memorizing command and build up the information-processing capability of my brain. Neuro3x has currently created my brain to focus higher and that i have developed a superior IQ.Neuro3x is a sophisticated formula deigned to spice up brain power and its latest ingredients makes it ready to work in step with folks need and it enhances wise thoughts with the removing aggression behavior and it unleash negative thoughts from the mind and build up all the dead brain cells with repairing. I will do many selections terribly accurately this Neuro3x unleash all negative thoughts from my mind and alter my life vogue terribly as if by magic.Write click here ===&&&&&....... http://droz-garciniacambogia.org/neuro3x-reviews/

Flag
Oct 20, 2014
Spot on!
Flag
Oct 19, 2014
what a fantastic article. You really summed up what is wrong with the show. they need a decent villain now that Klaus has left, the Stefan/Damon/Elena triangle has gotten REALLY stale. I would LOVE to see Caroline get together with Enzo and Matt, Tyler and Jeremy need better storylines (as well as Bonnie). I have hopes that the writers are taking steps to address this - having Bonnie and Damon being forced to spend time together in limbo is a step in the right director but I am worried that when they get back we'll have several episodes of (boringly predictable) angst as Elena won't remember their relationship and Damon will be trying to get her back. I'm hoping that the writers will try and surprise but I'm not holding my breath. :-)
Flag
Oct 15, 2014
Neuro3xis a supplement accessible to assist those experiencing brain health problems and for those that simply want a healthy boost, A lack of correct nutrition is, not astonishingly, usually a lot of guilty than the rest. This can be wherever natural and effective comes in. By providing your mind with the vitamins and minerals that it desires, this superb daily supplement will facilitate to clear the fog that looks to cloud your thoughts and inhibits your ability to concentrate. Effective as a result of its content of 2 of the foremost highly-regarded parts for optimum brain health. Each L-Glutamine and ginkgo biloba are recognized by researchers as necessary contributors to keeping the brain working at its best.
Write click here ===&&&&...... http://whatstoressellgarciniacambogia.com/neuro3x/
Flag
Oct 14, 2014

All are natural and safe to use could be a chemical substance Workout Buddy X found within the roots of the native plant of Republic of India (coleus) that is said to mint. The plant has been used centuries to treat heart issues as well as angina and high pressure likewise as metabolism ailments like respiratory disease. Workout Buddy X Once taken orally, Extract has conjointly been wont to with success treat allergies, eczema, psoriasis and painful discharge cramps, tract infections (UTI) blood clots and alternative minor medical conditions. More recently, it's been wont to treat male erectile dysfunction and it's conjointly combined with alternative medications to spice up testosterone. Doctor’s purpose of View!

write click here ====&&&&&....... http://droz-garciniacambogia.org/buy-read-workout-buddy-x-reviews/

Flag
Oct 11, 2014
I agree something needs to be done. Look, I like the show. Purchased the first 5 seasons on DVD and have enjoyed the first two episodes of Season 6. BUT....

The show has to my eyes lost it's focus, it can regain it or change it but it does not have it as of now. I compare this show to Buffy and Angel. Buffy focus was that of the reluctant Slayer they pulled it off for 7 seasons. Angel was the Champion the Vampire with a soul who needed to make up for past wrongs. The shows ending were great, Buffy had other slayers at the end of season 7 and could live her life as she wanted, Angel went down fighting the good fight and possibly found peace. How could you end TVD at that level with the current show?

Elena is a damaged personality. Her relationship with Daemon does not make sense mostly due to Daemon trying to kill her brother. How can a normal person love someone who constantly hurts their family? So is the show even about her anymore? Is the show about her regaining her proper sense of self. Also her comment in Season 5 the "being a vampire is a blast" never rang true. Daemon is an idiot who continues to make the same mistakes over and over again.

The show now seems to revolve around Stefan and Caroline. The tension between them is good and they are the only ones growing so if the shows ending revolves around them it could work. (The original focus of the show was Stefan and Elena.)

(Spoilers)

Things in Season 6 that have to happen. Ivy needs to be turned (although another vampire in the show is not needed.) or if she is dead then Stefan needs to go after Enzo big time. Nothing else makes sense. If its business as usual between Stefan and Enzo it simply will not make sense. Ivy was a total innocent. Elena need to start recovering her sense of self and we need to become aware of what will give her peace. Stefan and Caroline need to be reconciled either by the death of one of them or they end up together. Not ready for an Elena , Stefan part 2.

There is talk of Season 6 being the last season so I would like to see this show have a successful ending, even if there is a Season 7 regaining some focus and logic can only help.

More+
Flag
Oct 12, 2014
Yeah that's so true about Buffy and Angel. The thing that TVD doesn't have (anymore) is likable protagonists. Stefan and Caroline are about as close to "protagonists" as the show gets. But really, there are far too many unlikable characters that have done despicable things. And unfortunately the show's main focus is still Elena and probably always will be. The problem with that is, she's no longer a likeable character - far from it. And her relationship with Damon cost her that likeability. I seriously LOVED Elena in S1-3. But now? She's a different character all together.
Buffy and Angel were characters I rooted for and was invested in. TVD lost my investment (in the characters) by the end of season three.
Flag
Oct 07, 2014
I agree with about everything except Caroline. Season 1 Caroline was ditzy and as Matt and Damon said it, shallow. Ever since then we've gotten a Caroline the is confident and caring. She killed 12 witches for Bonnie, she's been there for Stefan and Tyler. I HATE when the writers use her as a foil for Delena, she realizes what's wrong with them and as GOOD friend she lets Elena know, but they just turn make everyone shame her into apologizing to Elena.
As for Steroline, it should happen because it would be THE healthiest relationship in the show. I remember my favorite part in season 4, when Stefan said, "Elena, you don't know what I look like when I'm not in love with you." We saw that when he lost his memory and she paraded around town with him like they were a couple. Stefan and Caroline know each other inside and out, they have a perfect balance between control freakiness and ripper bingeing! Caroline has dated almost every guy on the show (just like Rebekah), but that's because she needs experience. She went from the girl who was always in Elena's shadow to the girl who shines brighter than Elena. She's using trial and error and i think Stefan would be her success.
As far as platonic relationships go, I think they need to develop Matt and Bonnie more, they were nice last season, then they got shoved off screen as usual.

As for Delena vs Stelena, burn it with fire. I don't even want Stefan near them. I hate how he's suppose to be cheering them on, they never addressed how the two people who supposedly care about him the most let him drown for 3 months. Fuck delena. I hope they keep Elena away from Stefan because she is so fucked up she needs to be locked in a safe for 3 months so she can check herself before she completely wrecks herself. Delena is nuclear waste toxic. I want Bonnie and Damon to fall for each other, they have so much potential. Damon's at his best around Bonnie, those pancakes were adorable.

the Salv bros without Elena needs to be endgame, when they're with her its chaos. Stefan needs Caroline (someone who's there for him at his highs and lows), and Damon needs Bonnie (someone doesn't defend him, someone who makes him confront how horrible he is). Caroline needs Stefan (someone who sees the best in her when she feels the worst). Bonnie needs Damon (someone who notices that she's not okay, someone who can see past her shield).

I never thought I'd say this, but I like Damon more than I like Elena. If they stopped making 90% of the show about Elena and how she's dealing with Delena they would still have their viewers. I would tolerate the show if 30% was about DE and 60 about the other characters and the fight against evil.

how to fix TVD

1. less Delena
2. Less Elena, we can't root for her or sympathize with her if she keeps making horrible decisions
3. less temporary deaths (Jeremy should've stayed dead)
4. More about the characters outside of the main 3, and how they are minus Elena. She doesn't need to be included in everything.
5. Less about shipping, more about character development (season 4 sucked so bad because they were forcing DE, even though they made no sense.)
6. Let Elena suffer, stop giving her a way out by having her friends save her. Let her actually deal with her problems.

Sorry this got so long!
More+
Flag
Oct 11, 2014
I agree with pretty much everything you said. You're right about Stefan/Caroline even though I'm not sure I'd like them as boyfriend/girlfriend. I mean, I like them as friends and change on TVD hasn't exactly been good, so...

I never liked Delena. From the get-go I knew this relationship would ruin the show. It's wayyy too toxic and such a bad example for teenagers!

I could get behind Bonnie/Damon. It'd certainly make Bonnie interesting and maybe they could get rid of Jeremy? This character is the most useless on the show, in my opinion.

Also, they need to bring back Katherine at the end of this show. I don't care how, but she needs to make a hell of a come back. She's so much more interesting than Elena, and I used to love Elena so that's saying something!
Flag
Oct 12, 2014
I liked Jeremy in S1&2 but now? Ugh. I hate that he became this beefed up bro. #yuck
Flag
Oct 08, 2014
I absolutely LOVE this comment. First reason is because its smart and second because you really took the time to explain your POV.
I actually agree with most of what you said. Especially regarding the triangle and Delena. And as much as I'd like Stefan and Elena as endgame, I think I'm actually living in the past. Elena is no longer the girl that she used to be in S1-3. The girl that I loved. And this Elena most certainly DOES NOT deserve Stefan. I'm just so heartbroken because of what the writers did to her character that it sometimes clouds my judgement. I need to accept that my Elena is gone. I can't stand this Elena and I do not sympathise with her at all. And when the lead character of the show becomes so unlikeable that it makes rooting for her totally impossible, then you either stop watching or you make peace with the fact that your character is GONE. I feel like that's what I need to do. I need to forget the old Elena because she doesn't exist.

As far as Caroline and Steroline goes. Look, I'll be honest - Caroline has also changed and she's got a while to go before I personally start to love her. I absolutely adored her when she first became a vampire because she came into her own and turned into such a kickass female character. But ever since Delena hooked up, the writers have made Caroline a mouthpiece for Stelena fans. Which in turn made her look like an annoying little ditz. I don't mind her speaking her mind and her snark. It's just that for whatever reason, the writers choose to make her look and act dumb. And she's not! So that's where I get pissed off and start disliking her. I don't say that lightly because there are qualities that I like in Caroline. I love the fact that she wears her heart on her sleeve and that she speaks her mind. She's not afraid of being vulnerable and I find that admirable in a female character (or in a teen character). I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'd like the writers to give Caroline the respect she deserves and stop treating her like a dumbass.
I was really against Steroline. But I recently started to get why people want them together. In reality every healthy relationship starts of as a friendship and Steroline have that foundation. I just don't see Stefan ever fully letting go of Elena. So that makes me worry because the last thing we need is for Stefan to hurt Caroline by dumping her for Elena. But if the writers (and that's a big IF because I've lost my faith in them) choose to go the Steroline route, I just hope they do it right. I want them to make us CARE and root for the relationship.

I totally agree that Bonnie needs someone like Damon and I'd actually be a lot more invested in Bonnie & Damon (Bamon?) then Damon and anyone else.

Right now the shows biggest problem is Elena and I agree with you that in order to make the fans care, Elena needs to go on the back burner for a while. Stop making the show 90% Elena because WE DONT CARE ABOUT HER ANYMORE (I say that with a big sadface btw). Give the other characters main storylines and leave Elena and her problems out of it. I'm actually totally disgusted with her wanting to get compelled to forget that she loved Damon. It's such a cop out and it shows that she's a selfish bitch. She should DEAL WITH IT and move on. Why does she always get others to solve her problems for her??

Anyways, that was VERY LONG. I'm sorry. I just get quite passionate about this subject and I tend to get carried away. :-)

P.S. If you're ever interested, check out my TVD video podcast. I'm doing one every week this season.

More +
Flag
Oct 02, 2014
What a detailed "report", Mirella, well done!!!

Unfortunately, for me the show can't be saved. After the S5 finale I am proud to have it deleted from my watch list. I now have ZERO interest of what happens to Elena, Stefan, Damon, Bonnie and any other character, pick the name.
Flag
Oct 03, 2014
Firstly thank you for the kind compliment. :-) And secondly, I can't really say that I blame you for giving up on TVD.
For me, it's the fact that I've stuck around for 5 years so I'm going down with the ship. LOL It won't be easy. I'm actually doing a video podcast as therapy to help me get through it. It's kind of like anger management.

Flag
Oct 03, 2014
Oh my, I had no idea! I will hear your points and comment on the video as soon as I hear you! I am sure we will agree on 99,99%! :)
Flag
Oct 03, 2014
Lol. I'm sure we will. :-)
Flag
Sep 29, 2014
I just plain miss Katherine... I'd take Nina Dobrev as Katherine over Elena any day... I was never a huge fan of human Elena... Caroline was my fav among the 3 and vampire Elena sucks...
Flag
Sep 27, 2014
Am Jame by name, i turn to a vampire any time i want to.
i become a vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a
wicked world and not fair to any body.
at the snack of my finger things are made happened.
am now a powerful man and no one step on me without an apology goes free.
i turn to human being also at any time i want to.
and am one of the most dreaded man in my country.
i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into
a vampire hood by given me their email.
if you want to become a powerful vampire kindly contact the vampire
hood on their email vanpiretemple@gmail.com
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
When Bonnie comes back, they should maker be an evil-corrupted, powerful, badass determined to destroy mystic falls and everyone in it.
Flag
Sep 27, 2014
Wow. Never even thought of that. Could be a good idea actually. But maybe they've turned too many "good" characters bad? Although, if they did it right, it could be really interesting to see an evil badass Bonnie. Does anyone know if the show is sticking with the books or if they're doing their own thing?
Flag
Sep 27, 2014
omg, spelling error(*make her). And if they actually did it well then it would be awesome. I want her to be irredeemably bad. Like they should make her kill Jeremy(and have him stay dead). Then Elena and co. would have the whole conflict of killing a friend who turned evil because of them.

I always planned on reading the books but never did. What I gathered from those who did though was that CW VD is doing its own thing.

Flag
Sep 28, 2014
Oh don't worry about spelling errors. This is the internet after all, it's part of the shtick. :-) Yes, yes, yes!!! Make Bonnie turn über evil and have her take revenge on everyone for costing her her entire family. Seriously, how many people has Bonnie lost because of Elena & Co.? EVERYONE

If they killed someone who's never been killed/dead first (Matt or....is there anyone else??) it would have more of an impact then if they killed someone who already died. Because people would go, oh we've already seen this happen and therefore they wouldn't care. But if it was someone people least expected to die (unlikely because it would have to be a main character) then the show would gain the stakes back.
However, if Bonnie killed Jeremy, it would definitely have an impact. 1. Because he's her best friends brother and 2. Because he's her boyfriend.
Maybe me and you should send the TVD team a script? :-)
Flag
Sep 28, 2014
psh, like they'd read it.
Flag
Sep 28, 2014
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
To me, TVD is like that friend who became a heroin junkie.

You love 'em, but you can't stick around just to watch 'em destroy themselves because they are unable/unwilling to quit.

TVD is so addicted to its own success that it simply can't quit on its own terms.
People can stick by it to the bitter end, but it would be mostly out of obligation by remembering what it used to be while consciously turning a blind eye to what it's become
Flag
Sep 27, 2014
LMFAO
AWESOME COMMENT!
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
TVD has really lost its sheen the past couple of seasons, but I am a loyalist I will continue to watch it and complain, LOL.

Your assessment of Elena is bang on, they keep harping on how becoming a vampire magnifies dominant personality traits. But, this hasn't happened with Elena. She has gone the other way sappy and annoying. I quite liked her in the first few seasons and I hate her after she became a vampire.

I also agree Stelena is the more natural couple.

Stefan has been given the raw end of the stick. I think the show went to Damon & Elena because of their fandom. But, Stefan as a character and Paul Wesley as an actor have both got a raw deal.

Hoping TVD rights the wrongs and blows my mind away this season.
Flag
Sep 27, 2014
I'm totally with you. I'll definitely keep watching. I just hope S6 doesn't dissapoint. And really, they need to stop with the fan service if it means effing up the show.
Flag
Sep 27, 2014
Seriously, but that's what they seem to be doing. With Damon and Elena it wasn't a natural pairing at all. Stefan and Elena seemed natural and organic, they had to change Elena's character to make her suitable for Damon! Just because of the Delena fanatics.

I am ok if she doesn't end up with either and just stays single.

Also, the actors are really good. They haven't been given their due the past few seasons.
Flag
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, I don't consider myself a shipper but I bought Elena & Stefans relationship. Elena & Damon are a terrible melodramatic couple. Delena shippers are certifiable.
Youre right about the actors being under appreciated. They deserve better.
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
NIce work, love! I am not a fan of the show. I have that same "F.R.I.E.N.D.S." vibe whith them where it seems they have hours up hours to sit and chat in a coffee shop ...or in this case, having costume balls. I mean WTF town? Who works there? And if a job is alluded to. they must work 2 hour days because they are alway available for a chat.

But it is good TV Junk food. YOur suggestions would make it immentantly more watchable
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
Thanks for the comment Ed. Always appreciate your input. I totally understand why you're not a fan. :-)
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
TVD has lived past its prime. Unless they do something drastic that shakes up the entire show, it's going to get worse and worse. What else can they go off right now? The main love triangle...another useless villain...both of which no one really cares about anymore.
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
I'm afraid you migh be right.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
its missing new events or new interesting UNREPEATED stories and the originals ofcoarse .
the first seasons were good now its a mess :s
is this the last season ? i heard that ian somerhalder ( damon ) announced that its their last season ?

Flag
Sep 26, 2014
Yeah, there are a lot of rumours going around. Nina Dobrev will be appearing in S2E5 of The Originals and some are saying that she's leaving TVD after this season.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
This article is so accurate! I loved Elena's character until season 4, from then on it was like they were forcing Delena down our throats (no offence Delena shippers) but I can't recall any scenes of damon and Elena just sitting and talking no making out or anything just simply sitting side by side talking. I hope the show improves this season and takes it back to how it was season 1,2 & 3.
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
can this show be over ?
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
Not soon enough apparently.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
Ever since Original started i have lost my interest in this show. Not even sure if i going watch new season. The biggest problem is that character are becoming young adults and the show transition that well enough keep it fresh. Even reason you wrote are not the problem.
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
Do you think The Originals is a good show?
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
It's doubtful they make the same mistakes because The Originals its based on an entirely differente conflict.

Neither Elijah nor Klaus are competing for the love of the same girl: Elijah has feelings for the mother of Klaus's baby, feelings his brother doesn't share and the mother reciprocates.

Hayley is not in the middle because she likes to, but out of a sense of loyalty towards the father of her baby and the man she actually wants to be with.
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
Yes and i doubt it can make the same mistake due fact that main character are adult not teenagers the problem vampire diaries was the main character were in high school . The original don't have the problem. The only way mess up this show if they kill Klaus he is amazing
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
The Originals is a new show.

I'd say we're all well aware it could end up just making the same mistakes, but it still has a chance not to.
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
The Originals is okay. The last three episodes of the season were done so incredibly well that it makes me want to watch Season 2, but unfortunately, Rebecca and Sophie, my two favorite female characters are gone so it's definitely not as good as it could be. TVD back in Season One was miles ahead of The Originals.
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
Poll

Flag
Sep 25, 2014
I voted for all except Loss of Originals because I think they well and truly overstayed their welcome. Anything involving The Originals past S3 was boring with a capital B. But then, everything involving anyone past S3 (other then Katherine maybe) was BOOOOORIING.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
Klaus and his siblings did not live up to the hype that season 2 (?) amped up. They're suppose to be old and end up being only a thousand when people/civilization has been around for what 35,000 years? Lame.
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
ALL OF THE ABOVE!!! I have never liked Elena or the love triangle, but at least while the originals were around and there was a villain like Katherine, there was other stories and awesome characters to be distracted by.
Character consistency has always been a pet peeve of mine, Caroline was the best in season 2 & 3, than in season 4 she started to revert and it was really annoying.
We also really need a good bad guy and some legitimate stakes, like gee I don't know characters that die and stay dead, even big characters. The loss of someone like Allison on Teen Wolf did so much for the show, creating a lot of opportunities.
I feel like this show has really run out of steam the last couple of years, I sorta feel like they need to wrap it up, characters can still occasionally cross-over into the originals if they feel the need. But honestly TVD's time seems to be coming to an end, the actors are getting to old, and the stories are tired.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
I'm Inclined to agree with everything you said. The writers should've gone to boot camp for at least 6 months before writing ANY episodes past season three. I mean, what even happened in S4? Elena struggled with being a Vampire in the lamest way possible and The Originals moved to a new show. What happened in S5? Uhmmmm? Doppelgänger something something ripper virus.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
I think S4 was the season when a girl named April was introduced for no reason/purpose/direction at all.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
i still think that the only way to save this show is by killing elena and replacing her with katherine. and not that katherine who was obssesed to get stefan back, but the old tricky nasty smart one.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
Omg yes. I hated the suddenly ditzy-bimbo Katherine who turned into a tween. What on earth were the writers thinking? I get that Stefan was always Katherine's obsession but COME ON! As if she'd suddenly start acting so out of character.
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
They (the TV.com crew) should put a dislike option, because I really dislike your text and don't agree with you at all. All TVD need to do is to keep doing what they are doing, let their imagination run wild and don't do things they have already done (like Elena loves Damon then Stefan, the Damon).
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
Why do you dislike it?
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
i dislike your post
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
I agree with you a 100%!!! Let's kill this love triangle once and for all and make them single for a bit, it would allow them to truly grow up and discover themselves. I'd love to see Stefan and Damon behave as brother again and Elena should stop being guided by her boyfriends drama. I hope Stefan and Caroline will just be good friends, even though I doubt it, and I truly would like to see Tyler/Matt/Jeremy become a thing because they are really boring at the time!

Great review and let's hope they'll follow some of those good ideas to make us forget about those messy season 4 and 5!
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
When Elena knew Stefan was a vampire, what she said was: 'stay away from me!' and that's her best moment back there. She was not Bella Swan at all, she did not want anything to do with vampires, and that's when I started loving her. But she turned into one obsessed girlfriend of vampire brothers and thought of herself as their kryptonite.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
Thanks for the compliment, I'm happy you enjoyed reading it. Yes, it's really hard but I'm trying to have faith in the show. Something's gotta give.
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
I think the show is beyond saving and using its borrowed time to engage in every storyline the couldn't develop - Caroline's growth, Damon & Bonnie, Tyler identity, Alaric, etc- - while there's still time.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
If only season six could resemble season three.
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
i think what makes it hard for them to increase the stakes is the idea that anyone could actually be brought back from the dead. The feeling that nobody's safe during the 1st season is no longer there. And there's not enough recurring characters to care about, unlike Anna, Pearl and Rose. Everyone that comes into town will just be killed off without us knowing them that much.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
I think you're spot on. This is why the writers chose to get rid of the other side. They want deaths to mean something again. But bringing Bonnie & Damon back kind of defeats the entire purpose behind destroying the other side. I really wish they brought Lexi back because she was the one female character that I could really get behind. SO likeable. Missed opportunity big time. Let's just hope they've realised that perma-death is the way to go if you want to have any impact on the audience. You're so right about how underdeveloped the new characters they bring in just to kill off are. If the audience doesn't care about the character then their death will have zero impact.
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
Yah the cast is too big for them to do them justice. As much as I loved certain characters that have died (Alaric, Lexi, Katherine, Kol) I feel like they should remain dead. Characters like Jeremy in particular should have stayed dead, not just because the cast size, but also because bringing them back undermines the emotional arc it creates for the other characters (like Elena turning off her humanity because Jeremy died). Bonnie I have always felt bad for, she was the token witch and now she is the token black friend, and frankly it is insulting to what could have been an interesting element/character. At this point I feel she should have just remained dead because there is really nothing else to do with her character and in general we need death to MATTER. Tyler also could have stayed dead for the same reasons as Bonnie to be honest, he has outlived his usefulness and no longer adds anything to the story (if he ever did aside from his initial transition to a werewolf and hybrid). Honestly, what has Matt done lately? He is like the token human and I think it is important to have a human on the show, but maybe make him a little more awesome like Stiles from Teen Wolf. Perhaps if they introduced a really big villain, not necessarily like an immortal badass like the originals, but just someone that is completely crazy without remorse or motive that likes chaos for chaos sake (like the Joker or Void) they can kill off some characters.
One of the big problems is the writers make it seem like the world revolves around the cast (mainly Elena & Stefan). I would like them to be blindsided by a character that doesn't have any connection to them but is just there and is pure evil, forcing the gang to get entangled in some chaos without purpose. I feel like it would end up stealing a little from Teen Wolf but maybe they should start aiming for something resembling a coherent and interesting story, they had it once, they just need to put a little work in to do it again.
More +
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
That actually gives me an idea: they should introduce a new supernatural character. One powerful enough that it will take everyone to defeat it.
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
Yes, that would definitely shake things up for the better.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
Omg, I love this entire post! It really should be up there in my article. :-)

You know what? Borrowing story lines from Teen Wolf definitely wouldn't be a bad thing. I mean they borrowed from Buffy and Angel so they may as well borrow from the one supernatural show that is doing the right things.
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
I agree most of what you said especially fixing the triangle. Cut the triangle, stop making Caroline season 1 caroline, give all characters more invididual reasons to exist and find a new story that actually will mean something.
Flag
Oct 03, 2014
Even a partially regressed Caroline is interesting because of them all, they've actually stayed fairly consistent with her character. She's obsessive, control freaky, and a bit of a shallow person, but then aren't they ALL a bit shallow? :)
Flag
Oct 03, 2014
You're right, they are. I like Caroline but for me, she was the coolest in season 2&3. I just get pissed off when the writers make her stupid.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
The triangle is literally breaking the show. And I'd love to see more of S2&3 Caroline.
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
Amen to that!
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
Poll

Flag
Oct 03, 2014
BONNIE!! The potential for awesomeness was there from the beginning and they have totally wasted it from DAY ONE! This is Elena's bff (yeah she's tight with Caroline, but BONNIE was her BFF) She was a witch! She lost her teacher so she was finding out for herself!

All that potential and they've constantly used her and tossed her aside, she's nothing to the writers but a get out of jail free card and that's been so frustrating. :(
Flag
Sep 24, 2014
I almost feel like you need to clarify the question lol. I think a lot of the characters on that list need to be developed more we need more background and authentic connections to the story and the rest of the cast. However, I also think established characters like Elena need more work because, yes she may have an established character with a thorough history but it SUCKS.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
Yes, Elena is a mess. Just wondering.....did you like the initial Elena? From S1-3?
Flag
Oct 04, 2014
I'm curious as to how you feel about Elena throughout the series. Have you ever liked her?
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
That is a tough question and this is going to be a long answer, so sorry in advance, but ....

I didn't mind her as much in season 1, but that was mainly because I didn't really like anyone else or season 1 in general until the last maybe 4 episodes.
For example, as annoying as Caroline was in first season I found Elena a little bitchy towards her, like Elena and Bonnie would sorta mock Caroline despite allegedly being her friend. I think what makes that worse is in subsequent seasons they always stress how good a friend Elena is and how selfless she is, or just how she will do anything for her friends, but I have personally never really seen that from her character. For example, as Bonnie developed into a more powerful witch I found even her "friendship" with Bonnie became more about her using Bonnie's power. That became really clear in the season finale of 5 when she was basically trying to guilt Bonnie into keeping the portal open till Damon got through, despite the fact it was killing her.

I also found season 1 Elena spacey at times, and lacking substance. They jumped into the whole relationship/love triangle stuff right away and didn't really define her as an individual, which is why I think they have such a hard time with making her a single character, because we literally have not seen her authentically single, as a strong, independent character. Granted, I don't know if her lack of strength and independence is entirely her fault either, I think the other characters (and the writers obviously) are partially to blame for that as well. It was as though the writers were a tad bipolar in what they wanted from her character. It is like they want her to be strong (occasionally), and put her foot down and come up with ideas to help people, sacrifice her self, etc. but than it would be completely undermined by people having to go and rescue her, or her plans being ridiculous and hindering rather than helping. Thus she always ends up being portrayed as the victim in need of protecting. Which gets particularly annoying when it undermines moments for other characters, when they should really be showcased. For example, when Caroline's dad died and some how it became a conversation about how Elena felt when her parents died. Or when Bonnie's grandma died and Elena was like I feel so bad, and it basically came across as her trying to seek comfort, rather than give it to Bonnie.

Finally, the one thing that annoys me to no end is love triangles, because I HATE cheating, and there is so much emotional cheating and back and forth crap with Elena. Personal, I feel like if you don't know how you feel about a relationship, you are having doubts, or are seriously attracted to another person, than END the relationship, COMMUNICATE that you need some time to work things out. To me Elena's life has always revolved around which boy she is with. She is immature and selfish with relationships, because rather than risk losing someone by being honest and taking some time to figure things out, she torments herself and others by going back and forth, leading people on, and betraying other. I also think this is an issue with the male cast for being pathetic enough to put up with that wishy washy crap, but that is another tangent altogether.

LOL, sorry that was really long, but basically I have never really liked Elena's character. Though in the past I was able to tolerate it a little more, maybe because I hadn't suffered through 5 years of it already, but also she was young and adjusting to loss and the crazy realization of the supernatural world. But after all this time it is like they haven't figured out who they want her to be, mainly because they have linked her personality and behaviour to whatever guy she is dating at the time, and that is just sad, crappy character development on the writers part.

More +
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
God bless. I'm afraid that TVD is beyond saving, but at least let it get back to it's roots before it goes gently (or not so gently) into that good night.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
LOL
Yes, there was a "think happy thoughts" mindset whilst writing this article.
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
You may be right. That's exactly why I wrote the article, wishful thinking and a lot of courage. Ok and maybe a glass of wine.
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
It's all still a little too soon. I'm still not over TVD having the opportunity to bring back Lexi and didn't. Alaric went out like a champ and while Enzo is charming and all, I'm not sure I need more of him.

I don't think the show can't be salvaged, at least to the point where it can wrap up the series nicely...but I don't even know where to begin based on how things ended.

With Mystic Falls a magic free zone, from the promo, it looks like people going their own way which I think RARELY works. Breaking up the band is usually only effective for the biggest of characters, in this case Stephan, who looks to be enjoying life a little more. But can the rest of the cast/characters compellingly stand on their own? I dunno.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
Sorry, what do you mean by "its too soon?"
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
Because as much as I knew they weren't going to bring Lexi back, I allowed myself to believe it to be true and still haven't quite come to grips with the fact they haven't :)
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
Oh yeah...now I understand. Yes, not bringing back the shows best female character was a HUGE mistake.
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
I don't get the Lexi hype. I thought she was alright but then I really didn't like her in the Season 4 flashbacks and then when she started being a mouthpiece for Steroline I lost all interest in her as a character.
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
I understand your frustration completely.
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
If they were allowed to be developed beyond what they got in season two, maybe. However, most, if not all of them, were shoved aside in favor of the triangle and the Originals (not those characters' fault, but the writers felt them more interesting). Now, if they find interesting stories for the supporting characters, it could work.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
I'll take interesting stories for the side characters over Elena sobbing over Damon any day.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
So would I, I'm just not entirely convinced the side characters have enough to maintain completely independent story arcs, even if they are interesting.

The best of the 2nd tier characters is Caroline, but until she had Klaus to work opposite against, she was just a character.

Jeremy & Matt make for a nice buddy cop routine, but that's about it. Tyler McDouchey, I've got no use for him. Alaric's story has already played itself out, I'm not sure what new can be brought that we haven't seen already. Enzo's charming and all, but without Damon, what's the point? Same goes for the twins. As for Bonnie, I've given up on her.

So as much as I really don't want to hear Elena whine about Damon, outside of those two and Stephan, I'm not seeing enough to maintain a major story on their own. The best I can hope for is only splitting the cast into two, but looking at the split time between Mystic Fall and college, I don't have high hopes for that format.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
I'm still trying to figure out why they chose to make Mystic Falls this area where supernaturals can no longer exist. What's the point? Is is so that we can "cheer" for the characters to break the barrier spell? Because if it is that is another lame story.
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
I agree. It could be done. The only question is are the writers up to the task.
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
It was more of a general statement on the notion of shows splitting up their cast as opposed to TVD specifically. IMO, the number of shows that have properly developed enough compelling characters to allow them to branch out on their own and still keep the same quality is awfully low.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
LOST is probably the only show that did it right imho. Separating the characters takes very good writing, you're right.
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
Beacuse Sleepy Hollow puts the focus on all of its characters - even secondary ones - it's not just Ichabod & Abbie the ones who have to reunite out of purgatory: it's also Captain Irving and Jenny, Macey and Katrina, even Andy and Henry.

Ichabod & Abbie have only won one battle by getting back together, now Ichabod has to win back Jenny's trust after he lost her sister, Jenny still has to win Captain's after Macey, the Captain to win Macey's afther Jenny, Katrina to win Henry's, etc.
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
I'm not sure if I'd put Sleepy Hollow in the split category since nobody was separated for very long. TWD is an insetting comparison though.

They did what Lost did and had specific character driven episodes. Personally, those are without question my favourite TWD episodes, since they'll usually slow things down and limit the silly horror cliches. I was near ready to quit on the show after that 1st half but then gave me what I always believe the show is capable of and have been begging for, character substance.

The one things TWD had going for it is a larger and true ensemble cast with Rick being at the top (in terms of screen time and development) and more or less everybody else being on equal footing. TVD really is tiered and with Damon gone for a while, we're left with Stephan and Elena to anchor their own respective groups. Maybe Caroline can step up, but the only people left to play off against are the boys. I'm just not seeing that having the same effect.

Probably all moot since I'm sure there will be some curse lifting magic that will free up Mystic Falls and the band will get back together. Which is fine, and probably how it should be. They just need to get back to the spirit they had in the first few seasons. That, and end the love triangle...it's run its course.

Resurrecting Katherine and Lexi while turfing Tyler, Enzo and (dare I say it) Alaric wouldn't hurt none either.

More +
Flag
Sep 26, 2014
It needs higher stakes too: the reason the split works so well on The Walking Dead is because Rick & Carol pose a real conflict (creativity points for it isn't romantic in nature). The tension it brought to the different factions what keeps the audience intrigued.

The split also works in Sleepy Hollow because Abbie took another person's place in purgatory, not only Ichabod can't live with it, but her sister and Captain Irving don't stand a chance without her.

The split works on The Big Bang Theory because the level of intimacy reached by Sheldon & Amy, albeit not the norm, it is a milestone for them. Same goes to Fitz & Simmons at Marvel's Agents of SHIELD and Liz & Red back on The Blacklist.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
I agree with your statement below 100%. There's no way TVD could pull it off this late in the game.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
I think what also helped there is the entire format of the show. Establishing completely separate story arcs and back stories then fitting them into the greater plot is a fantastic design, but it's one you've got to start from the beginning.

Dedicating a single episode to a single character is a great way to develop separate individuals and doing that over multiple seasons adds all kinds of options to layering.

I don't know how TVD could accomplish anything remotely similar having not laid the groundwork for that type of character independance.
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
Great post Mirela :)

Unfortunately IMO TVD is beyond the point of fixing. Season 5 was awful and I don't think the show can raise up from it. I'll be watching season 6 out of habit. TVD is becoming for me like The Falling Skies - it's a train wreck and I just want to see the total number of casualties when it finally hits the platform.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
Thanks Llostris, I try. Lol
Well, look at Haven. They're making the best out of last seasons awful conclusion. :-) Maybe TVD can pull it off too? Or do I just have too much faith in the show? Lol
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
As much as I don't like Mara she's way better then Silas ever was. (Hell even William is better from him!) And let's don't even mention the Travelers, ok?

Haven might be troubled (pun inteneded), but that's nothing in compare to TVD's den of despair.

I think (and hope) Haven will have a good season. I can't say the same about TVD.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
I really worried that Haven would be a disaster after last season but I must say so far I'm pleasantly surprised. And yes Mara and William are a thousand times better then Silas & The Travellers.
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
Lol. Thanks Llostris. You might be right. Oh my god, I still have to catch up on S4 of FS. I hoped it gets better then S3.
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
I agree with pretty much all of this. I think Alaric needed to stay dead though.

The gender ratio on this show is also really off now. There are way too many male characters on the show right now - so they need to either kill some of them off or write them out of the show (Tyler can go live with the werewolves again if he doesn't die again).
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
I agree. There really needs to be some female empowerment even with the girls that are there.
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
Poll

Flag
Oct 03, 2014
I'd love to say Rebekah, but tbh, she's been little more than Klaus's plaything for most of her life, but girl still has grit!

I'd also love to say Katherine - she got what she wanted, she cared for little beyond herself and was a total user - empowered? Yeah? Someone I'd want to hang out with? not so much.

I love that you put Liz on there, but like Rebekah, she's a plaything for others.

So yeah, it's Caroline. She can be clingy, but she's also FIERCE. She fights for what she wants, even if it turns out to be wrong for her (tyler anyone?) She's focused, she's funny, and she's someone I'd totally have coffee and girl chat with. :)
Flag
Sep 23, 2014
I'm afraid all the empowered females I voted for are now on The Originals. Except Katherine maybe.

Flag
Follow this Show
Members