A The Vampire Diaries Community
Friday 8:00 PM on The CW

The Vampire Diaries S05E11: "500 Years of Solitude"

As someone whose literacy is VERY debatable (I write these photo recaps using voice recognition software I pirated off of KaZaA in 2002), I should not start lecturing you on the mechanics of storytelling. But it's kind of hard to hold myself back when The Vampire Diaries has basically been a MASTER CLASS in storytelling, week in and week out, for half a decade now. (How many episodes have there been in total? Are we in triple digits yet? I lost track.) This week's lesson? And perhaps the lesson of the whole series so far? The major difference between a proactive and a reactive main character. Elena, for the most part, is reactive. Meaning things happen to her and she makes decisions about what to do. Despite being perhaps overly wishy-washy, she does the best she can, which I suppose makes her relatable. The problem is, a lot of the time her decisions would make Stephen Hawking fling himself out of his wheelchair and roll directly into a ravine. They aren't smart! But as we all know, Elena's biggest point of contrast has been Katherine, the series' most proactive character. The reason why Katherine was immediately compelling when we first met her in Season 1, and why she is currently the show's best character (yeah, I said it), is that she HAS IDEAS, IMPLEMENTS THEM, and GETS RESULTS. Yes, people die a lot. Okay, a lot of people die a lot. But Katherine's motivations are always clear and understandable and borderline sympathetic and to me that makes her likable. Also she's hilarious and she's portrayed by the strongest actor on the show, so that certainly helps.

It honestly makes perfect sense that TVD would decide to make this milestone 100th episode all about Katherine, and that decision completely proves my point. At one point all the characters were just sitting around talking about all the bad things Katherine had done over the years, but to me it was a celebration of the PROACTIVE character. Nearly everything Katherine had done (or caused inadvertently) led to so many of the most important events on the show. She drew the Mikaelsons to town, first of all! Now they are a franchise unto themselves. She CREATED the hero. She also made love to a werewolf before he dated Lady Gaga. That kind of stuff! Katherine gets results. She is just so entertaining. And that's why I was dreading this episode. I just did not want to face the possibility that she was being sent off into the night. Katherine did not deserve that. (Also this show desperately needs her moxie still.) Fortunately "500 Years of Solitude" gave us the best of all possible outcomes: Katherine was rightly appreciated for all she'd brought to the table, PLUS she got to live on in probably the most genius manner imaginable. Yeah, "500 Years of Solitude" was an insta-classic for me. How about we talk about it? Yes let's do that!

We started in olden times a.k.a. Ancient Bulgaria where everyone was speaking in some weird language, Russian maybe? (Haha JUST KIDDING BULGARIA, that was a throwback reference to the time I made that joke and most of Europe got mad at me.) Anyway, you could tell by Katherine's screams and her pot-belly that she was about to have a big ol' schemin' baby!

Much like in "Katerina" the baby got taken away again, but now we knew two more things about this scenario: That baby would grow up to be a white-hot vampire named Nadia and also these were a bunch of gypsy witches or whatever. Backstory stuff.

Also, these scenes of Katherine's torment were intercut with the IRL scenario of being at Mystic Falls hospital getting her heart started back up. 

But was Meredith Fell on vacation? Also the doctors seemed confused about how to fix people without just injecting them with vampire blood. They just seemed very out of practice, so of course they couldn't do much except keep Katherine alive for another day or so.

Nadia was obviously very concerned because over the past few days she decided she likes her mom again. And to his credit Stefan was a total MVP in this episode. Yeah, I don't mean to shock you, but in my opinion this episode went a long way toward redeeming him in my eyes. He was kind of a dirtbag earlier in the season but now he was very, very cool and empathetic and heartfelt and he helped Katherine so much. I'm not lying, guys, seriously. Stefan was amazing. Anyway, he hypnotized the doctors into letting him take Katherine home so she could die in his bed. As a hero does.

Meanwhile Damon was still reeling from having dumped Elena the night before and it looked like he'd broken into Mystic Grill and drank everything. Luckily two hunks in flattering t-shirts came in and woke him up.

Meanwhile at college, Elena was getting whisked out of bed by her friends who brought her muffins and mimosas.

I appreciated the gesture, but did it seem like Caroline was being a little hasty with urging Elena to move on? Elena had JUST been dumped hours earlier. Sometimes single people are the worst. Just kidding, people in relationships are the worst. Wait, maybe everybody is the worst? Everybody just sit down maybe. Who's up for pizza?

I did NOT love this scene. I think maybe the show miscalculated how much we would think it was hilarious to see our heroes smack-talk a dying woman. Not just a dying woman, but the best character on the show. So no, I did not find it charming when everyone essentially celebrated Katherine's death by doing shots and listing her shortcomings. They all seemed like jerks! And to be honest, every single thing that they mentioned (usually some crime or murder that Katherine had committed against them) just reminded me of how important to the show (and hence, these peoples' lives) Katherine has been! So even though they were attempting to play The Dozens on her, I think they were accidentally complimenting her instead.

But I did find it amusing when Katherine was just upstairs listening in to those jerks' behavior. And it was even more charming when Stefan actually stood up for her.

He definitely raised a good point: Katherine had been around a LONG time and had been forced into many unfair circumstances and she became a scrapper for solid reasons. Many of the people in that room had been vampires for only a couple years yet had already committed mass murders? Imagine where they'll be in 500 years! It just felt very short-sighted for these people to think they were going to fare better than Katherine for half a millennium. So anyway, Stefan tried to stand up for her and Damon immediately shut him down via spilling his secrets.

Whoops! Now everybody knew that Stefan had slept with a woman dying of old age. Elena looked especially jealous, because of course she did. Caroline was scandalized, because Caroline does NOT like to be kept in the dark when it comes to her friends' genitals. But Damon just seemed petty here. That would be the major theme of this episode, unfortunately. The person who should be most sympathetic to Katherine's various ordeals ended up being just a total Judas figure.

Fortunately at least ONE person was feeling pro-active this day, and of course it was a Petrova.

Nadia had kidnapped Matt, stolen his magical jewelry, and then buried him in a safe! But at least she was super friendly when she told the whole room this. It was just all matter-of-fact and cordial. 'I stole your friend. Now I need a favor please.' I like Nadia basically.

So after Nadia told them all that Matt was buried somewhere on the property, she took Elena and Stefan off on a shady errand while the rest walked around the yard. At some point Jeremy let slip that Bonnie lets him slip it and Caroline was once again flabbergasted that her friends have sex.

Ha remember how much sex Caroline and Tyler used to have? Did she become a born-again virgin somehow? Why was all this such a big deal to her? You know what though, that's fine. Shirtless hugs ARE a big deal and should be treated as such. But let's be real, Caroline was very sexually frustrated, huh? Once you go hunk you never go sunk. (I don't know.)

Meanwhile Katherine was having some bad dreams about the time Klaus murdered her family:

But then Damon kept jumping inside her head to cyberbully her about it!

Ugh, no offense Damon stans but he was very terrible in this episode! Almost as bad as Amnesia Stefan!

And this was rare: Sheriff Forbes not only showed up, but she prevented a murder! She would not let Damon murder Katherine. MAJOR points scored with me, obviously. So, the idea was that Damon was still all mad at himself for murdering every descendant in the Whitmore family tree, so he was working through this anger in a healthy way by... BLAMING KATHERINE for everything. Using some very intense and elaborate mental gymnastics he somehow traced every unfortunate thing in his life back to Katherine. His vampirism, his murder sprees, heck, even killing Vicki: All Katherine. Damon frequently has moments of awesomeness but this episode was a low point for me, sorry. I just thought he was very lousy in this episode. Come back soon, Awesome Hero Damon!

Okay, so then Caroline went off on her own and then this happened:

YESSS. YES. Yes. (Yes.) Klaus took a break from the intense, ever-shifting power dynamics of the high-stakes world of New Orleans jazz-and-daiquiri dives to come watch Katherine die! Luckily he was intercepted in the woods by Caroline. (Wait, why was he in the woods? This show is weird when you think about it.) 

Meanwhile, Stefan and Elena agreed to be friendly hostages to Nadia, who needed something from them in order to hire a Traveler to help Katherine and then unbury Matt. Or something? Much like the movie It's Complicated, it was complicated. But you know what was not complicated? THAT HOUSE's creep-factor. It looked fine on the outside but the inside was a nightmare. Well, either a nightmare or a highly respected indie rock venue. Either one. 

Almost immediately Nadia and her Traveler friend ran out of there and Stefan and Elena found themselves suddenly vulnerable to sunlight and surrounded by a dozen chanting bohemians! Same thing happened to me the first time I saw Arcade Fire. You know, BEFORE Funeral when they were STILL GOOD.

Yeah, this was a weird moment for the two. Like, they talked about their feelings for a second and Elena sorta forgave Stefan for hooking up with Katherine. And then some dude came out and cut their arms and bled them out into a bucket. 

That sounds terrible but it was actually pretty chill. Even the tinkling noises of their blood had a soothing effect, not unlike a Native America rain stick. BUT WITH BLOOD. 

And then after they filled up their buckets they just walked out NBD! It was just a very relaxing and rustic afternoon in general. I'm sure the fact that the Travelers needed buckets full of doppelganger blood won't factor in later. Don't worry about it. They're probably just doing community theater productions of Carrie: The Musical. Maybe there will be an episode where the whole gang goes and watches it on a Friday night, but other than that I really don't expect the buckets of blood to come back in any important way. Best to just forget that ever happened.

WELL LOOKIE HERE. Emily Bennett! Katherine's "handmaiden." First off, hey Bianca Lawson! Always good to see her (despite the fact that she is an IRL immortal that we should perhaps be fearful of). I also love that she hangs out with teenage werewolves now sometimes. But yes, this was a great flashback because it showed us the first time Katherine laid eyes on Stefan:

Aw, that was cute. As Katherine explained on her deathbed, she had previously heard about the doppelganger curse and immediately knew Stefan was a doppelganger when she saw him and then she only pursued him because of that. Not a totally crucial piece of info, but it was a brief moment in time when Katherine made a decision using her heart, so it was relevant here. Obviously their relationship didn't go so well, but still. History!

Uhhhh wow. Okay. THIS PART. First of all it made me laugh to see Matt scramble out of that safe, mostly because you and I both know he's probably going to come back and sleep in it later that night. It seemed cozy! Anyway, so Klaus told Caroline to stop worrying about Matt because Matt would be quite pleased with whomsoever dug him up. And maybe my brain wasn't functioning so great at the time (or ever really), but I did NOT expect to see the face that I did. And neither did Matt. Hence the best smile ever:

BRB I need to find a shaman to resurrect my body because I straight-up PASSED AWAY during this part. Rebekah only had like one or two lines but her smile was easily one of the most memorable parts of this episode and season. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the ball-breaker version of Rebekah we're seeing on The Originals right now, but this teenage-romantic version of Rebekah just puts me in this weird vulnerable place where everything is warm and right and I want to stay here for a while. Matt and Rebekah are the best. They are like summertime in human form. So good.

Um, okay, the episode started getting REALLY fun at this point. Do you like familiar faces? Because the parade was just about to begin.

First Aunt Jenna (I think that was her name? The door lady?) showed up and reminded Katherine (and me) about the time Katherine compelled her to get stabby with herself. At first I was like, "Hey wait, Aunt Jenna can't be a ghost!" because she had been "at peace" in the after life even though she was totally murdered. That's what Klaus' mom had said anyway. But no, this wasn't a ghost situation, this was just Damon playin' PRANKS on Katherine using mind powers. So then "Aunt Jenna" "stabbed" Katherine and then this guy showed up to take his turn:

Haha Damon was a real jerk in this episode. Just very rude in general. Luckily a tall, dark and handsome hunk from New Orleans showed up to set his former lover's mind at ease:

Oh man, so brutal. But quick question: Why had only two of the three Mikaelsons showed up for real? Elijah in particular had old business with Katherine! I guess he needed to stay in New Orleans and not-kiss Hayley that day. It happens to the best of us.

But yeah Damon was being such a jerk that this was very deserved:

Nadia!!!! That is the star of the show you just murdered! Girl you are a rascal through and through.

So Nadia came in with her Traveler buddy and they did MOST of the spell that would allow Katherine to jump into Nadia's body, save for the last line. But then Katherine changed her mind and claimed she didn't want to be a brain drain or whatever, and that Nadia should go on and have a long, full life. But also Damon was lying on the floor and his eyes opened and he was listening in. So while both Nadia and Katherine were crying, don't be so sure they weren't putting on a show for him! (They were putting on a show for him.) But still, good acting and so emotional. Loved that part.

Just kidding, everything was trash compared to this part:

Klaus wanted an answer! He demanded to know how Caroline really felt about him once and for all. But Caroline would only tell him THE TRUTH if he agreed to leave her alone forever afterward. He agreed because it was that important to him. And then THIS happened:

THEY KISSED! THEY KISSED SO MUCH! And then they got sexy with it.

I obviously love the entire plotline with Caroline and Klaus and its lack of closure was a mildly irritating thing when The Originals first started up. But I need to give credit where credit's due: This scene worked perfectly for me. We now know for sure that these two had feelings/passion for each other, but we also know it's over. That just felt so impossibly tragic and romantic at the same time. Just very good storytelling and a big ol' stick of dynamite to the ribcage. Of course, all Caroline was REALLY asking for was for him to leave her alone while she finishes her college education and does some traveling and, I guess, gets a job. In vampire years that's a blink of an eye. So who knows! Maybe they will be together someday. In the meantime Klaus has to go back home and give canned ham to swamp werewolves or whatever. This felt like a very good moment for them. For me. For this episode AND the series. Everyone got what they wanted! And yeah, romance is sloppy and fragmented and there are starts and stops, and this event just felt real. That's really the best we can ask for at this point. Well done. (Also I'm just destroyed now.)

Oh, gosh, and then THIS scene:

Stefan was in good-guy hero mode in this episode and it was VERY welcome. For one thing he sat at Katherine's bedside and gave her GOOD dreams to counteract Damon's bad ones. (I didn't know Stefan could do this also?) First order of business was making her forget that her parents had been murdered. Their bodies straight-up disappeared in front of her!

(HER EXPRESSION IN THIS SHOT. STOP GIVING DOBREV SURFBOARDS AND GIVE HER EMMYS PLS.) And then Stefan returned Katherine's baby to her:

It was all just wonderful. Especially the symmetry of how Stefan became a vampire. How Katherine (and her past tragedies) have shaped almost all of the action in this entire series. And then Stefan behaving so empathetically with someone that most other characters had refused to. (I'm still all steamed about that bourbon-soaked hate-session from earlier!) And now here it all was all boiling down to a shared emotional moment between Stefan and Katherine. APPROPRIATE. Oh, but then look who interrupted the moment:

Oh, Elena. 

Haha anyway, then the living room started getting CROWDED.

Caroline walked in picking leaves out of her hair because she'd had so much forest-floor sex with Klaus! Also it was nighttime now. So much sexin' basically.

Then the parade of ghosts showed up. Not necessarily because Katherine was dying, but because Bonnie was hanging out in the living room and also I guess the ghosts knew it was the 100th episode? Didn't matter, STILL AWESOME.

Hey Vicki! Remember when you exploded that car?

Hey Tyler! I think you are still a jerk for roughing up Hayley and I loved it when Rebekah snapped your neck! Also good luck wooing your Ex back.

Oh boy, Alaric. This was a nice moment except most of the people in the room couldn't see or hear him. Jeremy was BEAMING like crazy though. Damon was just kind of barking at people to pass along whatever Alaric was saying. Still, I'm glad Alaric survived that weird TV cult he was in. Somebody should resurrect him or something.

Then things got REALLY awkward! Bonnie looked up and look who'd trundled into the room:

Haha Katherine! She died and then was immediately pissed about it and WILLED her ghost back into her body. Which, honestly, sure. That's a definite Katherine move. But it was also a BRUTAL FAKE OUT for this show to pull on me. My heart was racing because I thought the show had actually killed her off! I was already putting on my galoshes so that I could walk into the ocean. I had already ordered an Uber to drive me into a volcano. I was already blowing up the several hundred mylar balloons to carry me up into deep space. I was ready for the end. 

But first, Elena had to make Katherine's death about her.

For her part Katherine seemed grateful that Elena was able to dig deep and "forgive" Katherine. Although when Elena started bragging about how treasured her own sense of forgiveness was, it made me LOL (like o'lot) when Katherine responded with "good for you." Haha!

But then, of course, it became clear what was going on. Katherine asked Elena to shoot her up with one last morphine so that she could do THIS:

She jumped into Elena's body! And then her own body died! (Bye, body.)

Then Nadia called and asked Katherine if it worked. They'd been planning this all along!

YES YES YES YES YES. And the last shot was Katherine pretending to be Elena in the mirror and basically making fun of her SO MUCH.

Oh jeez. Perfect. Absolutely perfect. THIS WAS PERFECT. I will admit that this was my #1 theory of what would happen to Katherine, but that doesn't mean the implications aren't stone-cold genius. Katherine and Elena SHARING a body? Folding the yin and the yang into one interlocking circle? Thematically it is devastatingly profound. But in practice it's a recipe for drama: Each personality is in love with a different Salvatore! Assuming the show doesn't somehow expunge Katherine ingloriously after a few episodes, assuming the show bravely allows both characters to live in the same body from here on out, it will make for some truly compelling television. Thematically rich. Complicated. It'll reinvent the love triangle into something I'm actually interested in again. Sure, I'm guessing Elena will learn how to control when Katherine shows up and Katherine will be limited to special moments when the gang needs help from somebody who GETS RESULTS. Or maybe the ladies will have a time share? Like, wouldn't Stefan push for Katherine to get some equal time with him so they could rediscover their love or something? I don't know. The imagination soars though. I barely even know what I'm thinking or typing at this moment because this episode blew me away. Very, very very good.

I love Katherine. I love this twist. I hope it fulfills all its possibilities because there are SO MANY and they are so good. This is me right now:

Happy 100 episodes, everybody! Can't wait to watch the next 100.

BYE

QUESTIONS

... Will Elena's skull become a permanent timeshare or do you think Katherine will get the boot soon?

... What kinds of emotions did you experience during the Klaus-Caroline scene?

... Which former character were you happiest to see again? Which character are you most disappointed didn't make an appearance?

... What are those Travelers UP to? Carrie: The Musical or something even more disastrous?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/13/2016

Season 7 : Episode 22

548 Comments
Comments (548)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Ahhh, I created an account on this website just so I could post this comment.
I started Season One of TVD on Netflix about 2 months ago and I've been hooked ever since. I've finally made my way to Season 5, and somehow I came across these photo recaps of the episodes. It's so much more entertaining to watch an episode while following along with the recap. Some of the jokes make me laugh out loud. That's all I wanted to say.
Flag
ROSE! I want to see Rose. I know she's busy battling zombies, but I still want it.
Flag
Caroline and Klaus forever &3
Flag
I cannot believe I forgot to read this recap!!! One of the best you've done, I laughed so much. Also I loved the episode, of course (Katherine is the very best!!!)

Also, I' still waiting for Alaric coming back to life. They've proved it can be done, so...come on!!!
Flag
Klaus+Caroline best couple ever
thats all im gonna say
Flag
BEST! EPISODE! EVER!

"... and immediately knew Stefan was a doppelganger when she saw him and then she only pursued him because of that. "

I didn't get that at all. I thought she knew of the doppelganger attraction but didn't believe it until recently discovering that Stephan was a doppelganger and in retrospect, it all made sense. How would Katherine have known about Silas prior to this year?

While I shouldn't be, I really am surprised at how invested I am in Katherine & Stephan. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but they're neck and neck as the couple I want to see happen most...Stephan and Caroline is the other top contender.

A solid 100th episode that went in a direction I didn't anticipate. I figured for sure there would be some supernatural fix for Katherine's aging. And when she declined Nadia's offer, my heart sunk. It wasn't until Elena sat on the bed and with her whole forgiveness speech that I literally said out loud over and over again, "Say the spell! Say the spell! Say the spell! OPA!!!"

I know Elena's crutial to the overall story but Katherine's the one that drives the larger naratives. I'll enjoy this ride while I can because the two of them sharing a body will be a lot of fun...but I'm concerned that death is still death and this will mean less time for Katherine.
More+
Flag
okay am i the only one who is just completely sick of elena and her high horse? who is she to judge stefan for who he sleeps with? theyre not together anymore so she has no say whatsoever.

oh and damon was absolutely insufferable. he's never been my favourite Salvatore but he was worse than normal here.

oh and KLAUS OMG HE IS JUST PERFECT THANK YOU TVD WRITERS FOR BRINGING ME MY MIKAELSONS.
Flag
I didn't like this one very much.
Didn't know it was the 100th episode of whatever, so that explains some things but still.

I'm just in a space where I'm getting tired of the show and was hoping for some cool storyline to unfold.

But no... What we get after 100 episodes? A rehashing of everything they've done with katherine as center piece.

Maybe I was in the wrong mindset for this one, I don't know.
I still have hope, but maybe it's only a fools hope. (yes, I'm a LotR fam).
If it doesn't get better I'm gonna stop caring for the show.
Flag
Gawd, I love those pictures with the hilarious captions. :D
It was a great episode; and Caroline got to have her "scandalous sex" after, so she wasn't left out and all is right in the world.
Flag
*after all (OCD typo fixing ftw)
Flag
Katherine lives and we got rid of Elena for a bit. nothing else matters
Flag
I doubt it, they'll probably figure out it's Elena in that bed sometime next episode.
And if she really does die... there's a good chance she'll be passing through Bonnie, which will lead to an instant "OMG! It's Elena that died! Where the is Katherine?!" :P
Flag
Oh Price, every week I come to read your recaps but every week your bias is so blatantly obvious. And I don't know if we watched the same show, but the Klaus and Caroline scene was anything but real. In fact it was do obviously forced for the shippers. And while I'm not a fan of the pairing, the writers rushed this arc. I am glad that Tyler is back, but I hope he doesn't get back with Caroline. Let's hope the writers actually do something worthwhile with his character, he's the one whose story line could be awesome, but they have just written so poorly for his character. They need to also revamp the story lines for Caroline, Bonnie and Jeremy so that they don't seem like props.
Flag
1. LOL!!! Elena and Katherine in one body? Hahahahaha!!! Totally schizo!
2. I LOVED Klaus & Caroline's scene and I HATE the fact that Tyler's back! We don't want Tyler! We need Caroline on the Originals! I was totally cheering during their scene!
3. Alaric is the one that always makes me tear up! I think he was the biggest loss of the show!
4. I'd go for disastrous!
Flag
I was totally FINE with Damon's treatment of Kat, not that i don't LOVE her to pieces but let's be honest she has taunted & tormented Damon every possible chance she could, so to me it was just a tit for tat kinda thing, plus not to worry she will torment him back when she poses as Elena and starts telling him she never loved him. He will think it's Elena and it will send him right over the edge to commit more atrocities he can blame on her LOL
Flag
Freaking out during this entire episode!!
Still, for me it was pretty sure Elena will 'host' Katherine, but dunno yet whether this was a good idea or not. Either they're going to make a great storyline out of it or they'll screw it up and Katherine ends up in her (or in a body no one needs anymore).

having biiiiiig expectations for the upcoming episodes now! :)

ps: Rebekahs' smile barely killed me <3
Flag
whether you like the idea or not,Caroline Dries came up with the idea and Julie Plec liked the idea
Flag
Questions:
1) I hope not. I really like Katherine as a separate entity. This really feels like a "what more can we make Nina Dobrev do?" scenario. Like, we know she's an amazing actress, but can she do this... play a character inside a character inside a character...
2) Klaus/Caroline! OMG! That I think is the moment many of us were waiting for! I hope you aren't right, that this is the end of them. What's to rule out a guest appearance of Candice Accola on the Originals? Nothing, I say. They can make it, they can do the long-distance thing. I BELIEVE in them! lol.
3) Happiest to see Alaric back. I'm with you, why haven't they resurrected him already? Come on people! Make it happen! Is Matt Davis doing anything else at the moment?
Would have really liked to see Elijah for real. Until this [awesome] Hailey stuff on The Originals, I was very intrigued by the Katherine/Elijah relationship. It would have been nice closure to see him say goodbye.
4) Why ask the question you already have an answer to? lol.

Anyways, great review! Agree with everything you said. Except, as much as I enjoy Katherine on this show, from the beginning of the first episode, we've been shown that she's the source of all evil in Mystic Falls. I'm not saying everyone else are angels. But, she has done some bad things, bad things to those people sitting around reminiscing. So yeah, they aren't going to feel any sympathy for her. It's only natural not to empathize with your mortal enemy. (Remember, she's the one responsible for taking Jeremy off our screens for a good chunk of time! Unforgivable, I say. lol)

Also, I was so hoping that she'd just die and somehow be resurrected. At least this way she would have a chance at some redemption in everyone's eyes. Now that she's taken over Elena's body, I guarantee that everyone won't see her as the "survivor" that she is, but once again as an evil you know what.
More+
Flag
Also I"m not considering this an "actual" part of this season"s arc-- it"s more like the photo montage at weddings (a super cool reminder of the past before life get"s messy)

Flag
I wished they stopped this "Other side" crap. I've always loved TVD for having balls to kill of regulars, and now they come back as ghosts. Enough already.
For me it's another sign that the writers have no idea where the show is going.
Flag
BEST EPISODE EVA!!!!! (I;m clearly late to the party but YES!!!!) Klaus and Alaric!!! *SWOONING*

PS; WTF Stephan and Elena after EVERYTHING that happens in Mystic Falls EVERYDAY when is having blood forcibly siphoned from you by a bunch of weirdo travelers not concern-provoking?
Flag
Such a great review god! Price can't we just have an awesome time? Can't we just drink awesome drinks, listen to awesome music, and sit around and soak up each others awesomeness (& Jeremey's body)!? But in all seriousness great episode for Jeremey's body in that shirt and Katherine being Katherine
Flag
I'm sort of not liking the whole 'Katherine redemption' thing going on. She and the Originals were the only compelling villains since the show started and I can't imagine her being anything but the badass bitch she always was. (Can we find out who Nadia's father is btw???) Elena is boring, hopefully K will spice her up a bit. Klaroline was rushed fanservice and did not provide me with any closure at all. Wish Jeremy and Bonnie stayed dead. They are irrelevant. Caroline and Matt need a storyline because they are just dead weight. Stefan and Damon need to develop their relationship more? I think. Idk. Also - how hilarious is it that Damon has Klaus' number on his phone.
Flag
OK anyone who didn't see the body snatch coming was simply not paying attention. I called it the moment Elena sat within grabbing range.
Flag
The whole episode was bloody fantastic!! I cried when Alaric came on the screen. I miss him so much they shouldn't of killed him off. Bring him back I say!! Klaus and Caroline. About bloody time! I love love love Elijah, shame he wasn't 'really' there. Just the whole episode thoroughly enjoyable!! Well done TVD!!!
Flag
I don't know if ever been stated in the series but WHO IS NADIA'S FATHER?
Flag
It's never been said
Flag
Rebekkah's smile was the best followed by Klaus+Caroline... Great writing!
Flag
I totally agree that the encounter between Rebekkah and Matt was pretty sublime. I also found the long-awaited Klaroline hookup to be kinda hot. Usually, I'm no big fan of Caroline. She borders on the neurotic, in my view, and rubs me off as the kind of girl that would get totally clingy and stalky after sex. We'll have to see if Klaus can shake her off after this.

As for Katherine and the shrine the writers practically built her during this episode, I just don't get it. I respect Price's adoration for her, because during season 1, I was a huge fan of Katherine myself. I really loved her during the masquerade. She was like the perfect femme fatale, but for some reason this season, Katherine has lost that film noir vibe she had during season 1, at least IMHO.

The switcheroo between Elena and Katherine couldn't have been more predictable. Most of us here saw it coming a mile away. I was actually giving Plec and Dries a lot more credit than they deserved when I thought they might just shock us by the end of the episode, but no. They went with the most obvious choice, which, at least in my view, will do absolutely nothing to reinvent the love triangle.

To me, this love triangle, Katherine or no Katherine, is beating a dead horse. It's dragged on for way too long and now even Ian Somerhalder looks tired. He used to have a really hot thing going for Elena, but now even he can't fake it anymore.

With all due respect, I completely disagree with Price in regards to Nina Dobrev. She was not convincing as an old woman on her deathbed, and she was not convincing when she gave Nadia the mother-daughter speech (even if she was putting on a show for Damon), and she most certainly not convincing as Elena. I used to be a big fan of Nina during the first couple seasons of TVD, but now I'm done with her.
More+
Flag
I do agree that Caroline can be clingy (we saw it with Matt and then Tyler) but I don't think that's what will happen with Klaus. The main reason she gave into her feelings for him and slept with him was because he was going to be leaving and she wouldn't have to face any consequences with him anytime soon. She clearly has no interest in being in a relationship him at this point in her life - so I think they're just really sort of paused for a while.

I also agree with you regarding the love triangle. From the comments I've seen it looks like the vast majority of people are over it so I don't understand why they continue to drag it out - it's already been five years. It should be put to rest.
Flag
I miss Grams...
Flag
i thought i was the only one who thought that katherine was the best character. it's funny cuz i think she is more attractive than elana, and yes i know they are played by the same character. i was gonna be so pissed if they killed her off. they could kill off elana and i could give two sh*ts.
Flag
Elena needs to dissappear. Katherine is much better and prettier. She knows how to work those waves in her hair.
Flag
i also would like to ask, why does stefan have to apologize for sleeping with katherine while elana was banging his brother, while he was continuously drowning in a safe? i hope katherine takes over her body for good.
Flag
And while Stefan was drowning in that safe for months he reached out to Elena, she had dreams of him suffering and did nothing and didn't bother to mention it to Damon. Who probably would've done something.

Elena has turned into the worst, most selfish, self-absorbed character imaginable. Stefan is well rid of her.
Flag
1) Katherine will most likely get the boot, but I'm hoping Elena is transported to a different body? Within this "twist" (I quote it because it's only a twist in a shocking fashion, not in something entirely new), I just hope they make it compelling. We've seen Katherine portray Elena on many occasions, so it's going to be interesting to see how the writers move this story.
2) I don't think I cared... I liked it how the show left that relationship before. Like you said, now it's both beautiful and tragic, in your opinion, and I guess I'm one of those ambivalent people who ironically like things unambiguous and called for. That relationship, before this episode, had "unfinished business" but also a finality in that no one really thought their relationship would develop beyond where it was.
3) Aunt Jenna. I miss her. And, Kol? I guess. Uncle (nephew) Zach? Anna?? PEARL?!
4) Maybe they are planning to expel the doppelganger legacy. It's time for Stefan's and Elena's to see other people, I guess.
Flag
yea at this point it would be interesting to see someone else play elena because nina seems bored with her and it will be interesting to see how the salvatores react, since theyre in love with her and all. but i doubt it will happen!
Flag
THIS was a satisifying episode! I personally had no qualms with Damon torturing Katherine. She deserved it IMO. Not to say I don't like her character. She is awesome and badazz but if anyone should hate her, it would be him. She screwed with his emotions the most and taunted him about it so yeah, a little payback is good for the soul! LOL! I figured he'd eventually stop anyway considering the circumstances so I was okay with it. Plus you had Stefan there to balance it with compassion. You can't have everyone just be nice because she was dying. That would be boring and unreal. Loved everyone's cameo's and the klaroline hookup we've all waited for. The ONLY issue I had with a character return was Tyler. I thought we were finally done with him but he's back again! Ugh! Sorry, he can't be redeemed for his actions IMO! I'm also a little on the fence with Katherine pretending to be Elena AGAIN. I hope they don't drag it out too long and she's found out sooner than later. I'd rather they deal with the issue than remain oblivious too long.
Flag
- Damon torturing Katherine, I guess she had it coming. But to jump into her worst memories and torture her even more? That's another level sick right there.
- I don't think it's unreal if everyone was being nice. It's called respect. But in the realm of TVD, respect doesn't exist. How can you respect someone who's killed people you love? Oh wait, Elena.
Flag
Well, unreal in the realm of this show. That's what I meant. Damon at another level of sick? Yeah, to be expected out of him.

You're right though about Elena. Her hypocrisy is probably why she went ahead and forgave katherine but then WHOOPS! There's katherine being katherine again. Wonder why no one had sympathy at first! LOL!
Flag
I hope this doesn't mean they'll get rid of Katherine sooner rather than later when they figure out a way to get her out of Elena. Well. unless they find her another body along the way maybe?
Also, I keep forgetting Dobrev is a good actor because of Elena, but then Katherine comes along and Woah!
Flag
"As Katherine explained on her deathbed, she had previously heard about the doppelganger curse and immediately knew Stefan was a doppelganger when she saw him and then she only pursued him because of that."
- Were we watching the same show? She did not say she knew Stefan was a doppelganger.
Flag
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I was under the impression that she found out later about the doppelganger curse. But she likes to believe that when she first laid eyes on Stefan, it was true love. And her actions to get close to him to pursue him was a result of her devotion and real feelings. That's what she was saying... like curse be damned, I went after him because I loved him.
Flag
No offense, Price, but its kinda hypocritical to think Damon is being a sore loser for blaming Katherine for his nefarious actions as a vampire, and yet sympathize with Katherine, who's committed far more nefarious deeds in her "500 yrs of solitude," just because she's on her death bed. Yes, her family was murdered, her daughter was taken away from her, and she herself was to be used in a blood sacrifice, but this doesnt negate the cruelties she has committed over her lifetime. It doesnt matter if she was simply trying to survive, She manipulated, killed, and used people to her own ends. Just as Damon's sins cannot be forgiven, hers can't be as well.

No circumstance can turn you into someone you're not. We are defined by the tough decisions we make in our lives. Katherine chose to do evil things in her lifetime, and has now taken over Elena's body, because that;s who she is at her core, a wicked person. Or in her words, a survivor.
Flag
Nobody is saying Katherine is a good innocent girl -- she's a villain. We're saying Damon shouldn't blame her for all of HIS actions. So Damon IS being a sore loser.
Flag
and yet we don't see Katherine blaming his father or Klaus for her bad decisions... unlike Damon...
Flag
actually she kinda did.
Flag
actually, she really didn't.
you're kind of being a pissed of Damon fan right now and defending him to the grave or whatever you people do.
I mean, come on. He literally blamed Katherine for him killing Vicky (maybe even raping Caroline, or did he just forget about that part) and everything else that happened to him and the MF gang.
He tortured Kat by making her memories even worse. Dudee, you don't do that to anyone. Is it her fault she never loved him? Yeah, she fucked him up, but suck it up, I think a heart brake is just a little bit easier to get over than your whole family being killed and running for your dear life for 500 years.
so, to conclude, Kat fought for everything she got and Damon just cried and blamed other people when things didn't go his way, which was shown in this episode with him being a dick and all.
I apologize if there are any grammar mistakes here because I am not from an English speaking country and therefore English is not my first language. :)
Flag
Fandom? LOLOLOL. Oh please don't insult me. I dont care about this show THAT much, especially Damon. Hell, i only started watching it because Price clowned it every week in his recaps, so i figured I'd see what all the hoopla was about. (Im always looking for a good laugh). I take it exactly for what it really is. A silly teen drama with a slough of comedic moments on the CW network. LOl.
Flag
I liked Damon from season 1 and 2 when he wasn't whining. He was doing whatever he wanted to do, others' feelings be damned. He was someone I could stand simply because he had his own agenda and he took responsibilities for his actions. He would shrug off the killing like, "Yeah, I just felt like it." There was no need to sympathize with him. I liked him anyway because he was fun. Now he's completely different and I wish he would go away.
Flag
I think I loved this episode overall but I did also have problems with it.
I loved all of Katherine and Stefan's scenes, particularly him standing up for her and the dream he gave her telling her it wasn't her fault that her family had been murdered.
I was delighted with Klaus and Caroline finally kissing (and having kinky forest sex), I assumed she and Klaus would be as soon as she questioned why everyone got to have scandalous sex except her.
I also loved the scene with Stefan and Damon at the end, when Stefan told Damon to sort out his problems with Elena, not because I care about Damon and Elena's relationship but because I thought it was a really nice moment between the brothers.
What really bothered me about the episode though was how awfully a lot of the characters we're supposed to sympathise with were behaving. The scene where they were celebrating Katherine's death as she was literally dying upstairs was one of those unusual moments on TV when it takes you a moment to work out how the creator's are expecting you to react. I was watching it like "am I supposed to be laughing?" Because I just thought the whole scene made them all look like awful hypocritical people as, except Bonnie, they have all murdered people themselves and done terrible things.
While Katherine is definitely my favorite character, I'm not going to pretend she's a good person, however, some of the things they were blaming her for were ridiculous. Damon actually blamed her for him turning Vicki and Stefan killing her. By that logic, Vicki's death was all Esther's fault since she created vampires in the first place and if it weren't for that Vicki would still be alive. It also annoyed me that Damon tried to blame her for everything that he himself had ever done wrong, although at the end he admitted he was no better than her. Also, Bonnie placing blame on Katherine for her gram's death didn't even really make any sense. It felt a bit like the writer's couldn't think of any time Katherine had done anything to Bonnie personally so just went with that.
Overall a great episode and I'm excited to see Katherine and Elena sharing a body in the future. I was happy to see Vicki, Jenna, John and especially Alaric again.
More+
Flag
I totally agree with you. With Damon's (and the writers') logic, we should just blame Quetsiyah for creating the first immortality spell, which was grounds for Esther's vampire spell.
If she hadn't done that, then vampires likely wouldn't exist and Damon wouldn't have turned Vicky.

makes perfect sense
Flag
Hilarious recap, Price! I love reading these recaps after watching the episodes. I literally wanted to laugh out loud when Damon was blaming Katherine for EVERYTHING! It's her fault that Vicki is dead, because Damon killed her, and the only reason why he was in Mystic Falls was because he was looking for Katherine...? Pathetic. Or more correct: I'll call it lousy writing. Even Damon isn't that dumb. It was so nice to see all the old characters! I've really, really missed them. Especially Jenna! The Elena-Katherine storyline has a lot of potential. This was a terrific episode, both me and the friend I was watching it with wanted to cry! It was so emotional.
Flag
*_* Caroline and Klaus are amazing, i was over the moon when that scene was over, don't even know what happened next in the show.
happy 100 episodes TVD \(^.^)/
Flag
So, not a lot happened, but on the otherhand a lot happened.
Klaus back wih Reb?? why?? Just for closure with Caroline...while they have their own big problems in New Orleans...that was a but weird...
The moment i saw those two, i knew they would have sex. Caroline was already complaining about why she was the only one who had not scandalic sex...
Loved how Damion played the mindgames with Kat...that was fun.
So now Kat is EL..or are they stuck together in one body...if not, where is El...??
Flag
I actually feel really disappointed and disrespected for how they handled the Klaus/Caroline situation. They basically tried to have the fandom start minding their own business by giving us a kiss and sex? What do they think we are? It was too rushed and out of the blue in my opinion and it doesn't fit AT ALL with the rest of their storyline. They're the only TVD couple that I've ever loved this much and for how much I might have enjoyed that Caroline sort of admitted that she at least feels something for Klaus, I think that they didn't want to give us 'closure' (which I don't even want, in the first place), but that they wanted to try and ruin the couple and make it seem like it's never really been anything important anyway. Not like Klaus has never been in love with anybody else except for Tatia before Caroline, for freaking CENTURIES, who cares, just let them have sex like it's the only thing he has wanted from her all along. You don't do that in a forest out of the blue after promising to never come back into her life to someone that you're supposed to LOVE. It's pathetic, ridiculous, and low. I used to love Klaus but I'm just hating him more and more with everything that they're having him do since The Originals started. You don't say ‘however long it takes’ and then take it back, not as a person, and not even as a writer in a tv show, what did they think was going to happen after the Graduation episode? That everyone would forget but we didn't and so they tried to give us that... thing, basically? That's not how it works. They had so much potential and they decided to throw it away. They made us fall in love with Klaroline, used it when they needed it, needed US, and then kicked us to the curb. I've watched many tv shows in my life and I've never before felt this used and mistreated as a huge fan and supporter. Klaroliners are not just going to go away because they're an 'obstacle' now. Their love cannot be bought, they can't be persuaded by saying 'oh, Klaus is gonna be shirtless in the next episode', who the hell cares. He’s just been with Caroline and he is now gonna be with Camille? Are those the standards that they want to give? For Pete's sake! They play with real feelings, with people who actually CARE about these fictional characters and couples and it's disgusting. It disgusts ME. The fans don’t owe them anything if that’s how they are treated after basically being the ones to allow Klaus to have his own spin-off because they loved him so much BECAUSE of Caroline, of how he was with her. So if their aim is to ostracize those who actually care about plots and continuity and morals and sense in a tv show, then they’re definitely on the right path, and I hope that eventually it comes back and bites them in the a**.
More+
Flag
To me their deal sounded more like Klaus would stay clear on Mystic Falls and allow Caroline to do the college-thing and whatever else it was that she wanted to do. There was nothing about Caroline going to him - so I saw it as him once again just leaving all the cards in her hands. They didn't agree never to see each other again. Caroline can't stay in Mystic Falls forever - at some point she's going to have to leave. I've always felt like Klaus & Caroline would probably have a future down the road but for right now they need to do their own things but that they'd find each other again - although I think it will take a few years. Klaus has previously mentioned that maybe it'll happen in a century - so I don't think he's in any rush.
Flag
If only... but Julie Plec herself said that scene is supposed to be it for them. She said 'for now', then she said 'for good'. And honestly, that's not teasing for me, she feels that the Klaroline fandom is a burden because it's pretty obvious that The Originals was, no matter what, more for Phoebe Tonkin than anybody else, she actually was the first one to sign the contract for it, even before Joseph did, and they were set on putting it through even without Claire who wasn't sure to be a part of it until the end. Plus, the way they just rip off Klaroline scenes for Klaus and Camille is ridiculous. I still love them, and I'm always gonna fight for Klaroline, but it's obvious they don't want it to be a part of their new show, not now, and probably not ever.
Flag
It amazes me how many people here actually thought Caroline would go to the Originals after this episode.

It was clearly their closure...

As for why they did it, my guess is that they sort of got stuck with the whole "last love" thing because it forces Klaus to stay and wait for her.

They obviously want to put him up with someone else (Cami... geesh) and needed for something him to grow over Caroline and move on.

Was it done properly? Obviously not.
But all they had was 5 minutes... so not much else they could do.
Flag
Unfortunately a lot of people can't see that this is the worst thing that could have happened to Klaroline. We were all happy and thought we were finally taking a step forward but they really cheapened the whole relationship which makes me incredibly mad.
Flag
I didn't mean you, the opposite - I'm agreeing with you.

I'm just saying if you look a bit below, you'll actually see a lot of people who thought just that.
Flag
I never thought Caroline would go to NOLA after this, but they are trying to alienate the fandom and I hope everyone realizes that and stops watching, then they can show me how much of an 'obstacle' we are. Klaroline is not gonna happen if Klaroliners don't fight for it and that means Goodbye The Originals at the moment because otherwise it's not happening. I'm sure they'd rethink their no Klaroline police if the ratings went really low.
Flag
Agree....!
Flag
that last scene was amazing, Nina Dobrev switches like it's nothing, it gave me CHILLS
Flag
price! this is the best! very hilarious!!! hahahha had so much fun reading this :D <3
Flag
I always have conflicted feelings about Klaus as a character in both TVD and The Originals. But everything about his face when he's around Caroline is just YESSS. I never want them to be over.
Flag
I agree that Damon was petty in this episode. He acted like a child : "All the bad decisions I made in my life were because of Katherine". How about taking responsibility for your own mess-ups?
Okay Katherine had done pretty awful things but Damon too (was it Katherine that told him to kill Lexi?). The party to celebrate Katherine's demise was pretty lame. At least, like Stephan pointed out they should have take it somewhere else.
Flag
I haven't read the comments below nor have I seen next weeks promo yet so if I'm repeating sorry.
I think Katherine will impersonate Elena for a few eps and then be vacated to a new body. She'll do or say something to tip them off.. Or actually it may happen pretty quick cuz obv Bonnies gunna notice that Katherine never passed thru her to the other side..
I was ecstatic about Caroline and Klaus... huge fan girl moment :) Altho I thot it was a lil brutal that Klaus had to promise to never see her again in order for her to be honest and thaw out towards him.. That said, I'm sure they will in fact see one another again prb this season or next. I was more then a lil annoyed about Tyler being back tho...Of course the millisecond Caroline gets some from Klaus, Tyler shows up..
I was super excited to see Alaric, even if just for a second. Vicki..ehhh..who cares.. I was hoping to see Lexi or Rose...esp Rose since she would've made the most sense given her history with Katerina. Oh well, still fun seeing everybody!
As far as the travelers and the buckets o' blood, my assumption was that they needed Elena's blood to do the spell for Katherine? And that they only brought Stefan along so it wouldn't look so obvious that Elena was the target. Or maybe it had nothing to do with it... when that guy hijacked Matt was there blood involved? I can't remember..
More+
Flag
Yeah, most likely they'll notice it in 5 minutes. Then the group would split, as usual, between how various people want to end this issue.

Rose missing was indeed a shame. I was hoping Mason or Perl would get a mention too.
Flag
Also, Damon always owns up his actions. You can't blame him for losing his mind in this situation. I didn't like the episode though, very bad writing.
Flag
Sorry, but Katherine deserves that and even worse. Damon and the others should have killed her in season two. He destroyed Damon's mental stability and mentally abused him (after abused Stefan too when he was human). I had a similar story like Datherine in the past, and honestly? I would have done so much worse to Katherine. This is the truth.
Flag
It's funny that Katherine is the villain and IMO probably shouldn't get redemption (a few moments of humanity doesn't redeem her 500 years of terror) but yet I want her to survive and I want the rest of the cast to die because they annoy me so much. That drinking party was the worst scene -- way to show our main characters behaving like total jackasses. I don't care that I want the villain to survive and the main characters to suffer. They deserve it.
Flag
I totally agree, even though I love her!
Flag
Here's my review: gypsies, words, words, words, flashback, words, words, flashback, words, melodrama, melodrama, words, words, melodrama, words, Katherine you bitch!
Flag
Kill them all!! Okay.. maybe salvage one (Caroline) or two characters and send them off to New Orleans to hang out with the Original family. Not too many though because the great thing about the Originals is that it doesn't revolve around teenagers.
Flag
Even though Davina and Hailey are teenagers? But I think I know what you mean :)
Flag

Also so glad Katherine isn't gone. I just love her.
Flag
There were like three Elenas running around at one point why is there not another Stefan.
Flag
This epsisode was old home week. Lots of great characters came back, which made this shows decision to keep the useless annoying piece of garbage named Katherine Pierce around even more sickening. Her daughter is equally insipid. This woman has made it clear she wants nothing to do with you so of course you bend over backwards to save her. The sight of Alaric made this even more disgusting. You got rid of him but can't find a way to bring back a selfless drinking buddy companion guardian like him. Die Katherine Die.
Flag
Oh my gosh. I guess I should've known their were people who hated Katherine, but I'd never seen it before. Even the ones who like her are aware of her selfish decisions but damn. You are heated.
Flag
I'm heated because what is the point of keeping her around? She adds nothing. you can have tension amongst the cast without keeping this insipid clown around and her equally useless daughter.
Flag
The trope of body possession is seriously getting old. Katherine should have died at the end of the episode. I feel like she's just going to stir the love triangle again. But I enjoyed the episode overall, especially given the fact that a lot of old characters came back.
Flag
I hope she stirs the love triangle into nothing. It needs to die.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members