A The Vampire Diaries Community
Friday 8:00 PM on The CW

The Vampire Diaries S05E10: "Fifty Shades of Grayson"

Let's talk about cats FINALLY. For years we've been talking about The Vampire Diaries and in almost none of those years have we ever talked about cats, but that trend ends now. The main thing you need to know about cats is that they were programmed by evolution to manipulate us. Haha, I know, evolution is only a theory and science is just a horror movie concept that justifies random electrocutions of vampires, but stay with me here. A very long time ago cats started resembling human infants with their big eyes and mewls and people began inviting them inside to sit on the papasan. Those cats became domesticated and later on we built an entire technological infrastructure called "the world wide web" in honor of them. But make no mistake: We are being manipulated. Cats are manipulating us, they are appealing to our maternal or paternal instincts in order to live in our apartments and knock glassware off of our milk-crate coffee tables. Are cats born evil? Nope, just manipulative. And in this case we love it. Manipulation can be great! Manipulate away, you darling rascals.

TV is a lot like cats in that way. We KNOW it is a machine built for nothing more than human manipulation, yet we love it so much. It puts very attractive people in front of us and our reptile brains are BOUT IT. It makes us feel emotionally connected to characters or storylines so that we'll continue to tune in the following week. It creates a sense of community in viewers that apes the feeling of having a cozy family. And none of this is a bad thing! TV manipulates us because deep down we all want to be manipulated. So it's not The Vampire Diaries' fault that it figured out who our favorite character is and is currently putting her through so much angst and anguish and now the grim reaper's scythe is hanging over her head. Because this show knows it will upset us to see these things happen to our favorite character! And let me tell you, IT IS WORKING. As much as my heart is not thrilled about what happened to Katherine in "Fifty Shades of Grayson," I get it. I definitely get it. And I'm on board. Manipulate me, show. Make me feel things. I only wish I cared this much about the other plotlines! But much like a cat pawing its owner's face at 4am, I'll take what I can get. 

"Fifty Shades of Grayson": Let's talk about it!

We started in the Whitmore dungeon where Damon was pulling out ALL THE STOPS in order to escape.

Wow, Damon! That was truly impressive. But like, okay, this time he had the advantage of a bullet that he could jam into the keyhole and explode. But you're telling me he figured out how to bust out of this prison over the course of 6 hours but couldn't bust out during the 5 YEARS he'd been in there? Get ready, because this episode was not the most logical episode. Which, fine! As long as it had a lot of Katherine I was still going to love it.

Oh, that smile. Katherine woke up after a night of shirtless hugging Stefan and looked positively radiant. Fair enough! 

Unfortunately her hairdo wasn't looking quite so radiant.  This bit made me laugh:

Haha oh Katherine. Even in her time of distress she's still hilarious/the best. All wrapping herself up in a blanket and bumping into furniture. I think I'm okay with the element of Katherine aging super fast, that is interesting and poetic. But isn't it kind of dumb that she still looks HOT AS HELL in the face and body? I was thinking this show should've done more of a climax-of-Beetlejuice thing or made her look like the Cryptkeeper all of the sudden. But I never get my way and I never will.

Anyway, Katherine bumped into Damon and immediately started locker-room bragging to him about boning his brother.

It wasn't shown, but I guess Damon had THOROUGHLY searched the campus for Elena right? Before traveling the 2 hours to Mystic Falls? Okay good, just checking. Anyway, Elena was missing and Damon was back in Mystic Falls ASAP.

Then, I guess Elena had decided to get some Z's since we'd last seen her, and now she was in some burnt out basement strapped to a table. Which, if we're keeping track, is LAB #3 that Dr. Maxfield works out of. This dude had labs all over Virginia. But when you are a busy scientist doing tons of important research (electrocuting vampires), you need all the best resources you can get.

Oh look, Elena's mad scientist father had ALSO kept a diary. And again, this show's conception of "science" was so ridiculous ("because science" was the only explanation Wes gave when Elena asked him why he liked to torture vampires). So Grayson's diary was basically just things like "Today I shocked a vampire" and "Today I shocked a vampire even more." You know, SCIENCE. I guess it's fine though. Casual distrust of science is about as fresh a horror idea as vampires themselves, so whatever. Go to town, show. Still though, I wish whatever tests Wes had been doing to Elena for the first half hour had been interesting IN THE SLIGHTEST. 

Anyway, then the Salvatore Bros realized that they needed to team up and find Elena, so they drove back to Whitmore and confronted Aaron. And by confronted, I mean they took him hostage.

But I did really like these scenes because it reminded me how fun this show is when Stefan and Damon are on the same page and working toward the same goal. You know? It seemed like they were back to being a team, which I didn't realize I'd missed until this storyline. 

Anyway, they grabbed Aaron and forced him to call his "legal guardian" and orchestrate a trade for Elena.

But because Dr. Maxfield is CRAFTY and SCHEMING, he immediately renegged on the deal to switch hostages and instead activated his Universal-By-Way-Of-Italy Soldier. And by "activated" I mean he just sort of gave Enzo blood and asked for a favor.

Again, I'm not trying to be the logic police here, but why on earth wouldn't a full-strength and suddenly freed Enzo just immediately murder his captor and inject himself with an antidote (as Damon later easily did)? Was it Stockholm Syndrome? Brainwashing? It's unclear! Personally if I had been imprisoned for the better part of 70 years I'd be quietly plotting my escape/revenge and would be ready to take it at a moment's notice. And Enzo used to be ALL ABOUT revenge against his captors! Yeah, I just fully don't understand the logic here. Plus this whole Augustine thing has really pushed the limits of plausibility when it comes to vampires being subservient to ordinary humans. How on earth is a human with a syringe going to imprison vampires for a century? The logic is ridiculous and could have been fixed with even a minimal amount of brainstorming. Sorry to harp on this stuff, but logic tends to be important on shows like this. How can viewers be expected to care about the stakes these characters face when the writers don't seem to?

Anyway, then Katherine tried CrossFit.

I'm not convinced that CrossFit makes people younger so much as it makes their tendons and joints much older. But whatever, at least she was trying! And yes, it was absolutely wonderful to see Matt coaching Katherine. It's sincerely so cool whenever this show pairs off two unexpected characters like this. 

Haha oh, Katherine. ("Haha oh, Katherine" should be the name of her spinoff. It will be a single camera comedy like Veep.)

So then Nadia ran out to the woods (which, by the way, the woods?) and slapped Katherine's face because she'd found Katherine's suicide note, and as we all know, suicide is for assholes.

I loved Katherine's reaction to seeing Nadia in the first place. These two! But things took a turn for the poignant when Katherine made them both green smoothies and then got sincere about whether she could be redeemed or not. 

YES. THAT IS EXACTLY what we've been saying for YEARS. YES YOU CAN BE REDEEMED. And witnessing that redemption will be endlessly entertaining and powerful and important. Just don't drop dead on some stairs or anything, okay?

Oh, this was a major revelation: Katherine is PART-WITCH. Well, technically part-Traveler, but as we learned that's just a more gypsy-like version of a witch. Anyway, Nadia is a smart cookie, so she suggested Katherine could possibly just start living in other peoples' bodies, which, personally, who WOULDN'T want to do that? I have more than few bodies already picked out. But yeah, Katherine wasn't into that idea.

Whether it was poignant or foolhardy, Katherine wanted to remain in her own body so that Stefan would still like her. Doppelganger stuff. But still, kinda sad right? It's always about the guy, isn't it.

Much like Mystic Falls High, Whitmore College is virtually empty all of the time. That's why the hostage exchange was scheduled to go down in a LECTURE HALL. Unfortunately the Salvatores didn't see Elena waiting for them, but rather THIS GUY:

Who had, somehow, gotten a drivers license and driven the 2 hour to Whitmore? I don't know. Either way Damon was stressin'!

Hey Enzo! It was Enzo, everybody. Just out in the wild Enzo-ing it up. Now, last week when we met him I assumed he was this suave, handsome, charismatic guy, but either I was wrong about that or the show changed its mind about him because suddenly he was AWFUL? Enzo was awful. I don't like Enzo anymore. Aside from his plotline having no logical bearing or motivation, he was so boring also? 

Like at one point he was trying to tell his boring story about how Damon failed to save him during a house party fire, and nobody was listening so he threw a desk. Haha whatever, you toddler. Like, I get that he'd been away from society for 70 years, but get real dude, vampires make terrible decisions all the time. Nobody in this room was surprised or seemed to care about what had happened 70 years ago. Aside from maybe not checking a corpse (laying 3 feet away) for keys, Damon didn't really do anything THAT bad. Um, except also I guess for letting 70 years pass without so much as peeking into the same exact laboratory-dungeon to see if Enzo was alive or what the Augustines were up to. So, sure, there MIGHT be a negligence issue at worst, but don't tell me Enzo didn't also make questionable decisions during HIS stint as a vampire. But yeah, not only did I not care about Enzo's grievances, his bratty attitude about it served to justify Damon's decision to let him burn.

At one point Damon openly suggested they team up to free Enzo permanently and Enzo couldn't even explain why that was a bad idea.

Instead he just threw Damon out the window! Which, sure, I tend to settle a lot of my arguments that way as well. Not judging. I'm just saying that it's impossible to care about a character who does not operate by any relatable logic or brainpower. Get out of here, Enzo.

In my opinion it is plenty rude to throw somebody out a window, but it's so much worse when you throw them onto a jalopy. It's rude AND disrespectful. Needless to say Damon was NOT happy.

Except, again, Enzo was seriously no match for Damon because Wes had infected Enzo with some kind of agent that made him desiccate. So what exactly was the plan here again? Sending a weakened vampire out to kidnap a very strong vampire? I don't get it. Oh trust me, I'm sure hours and hours of discussion went into this plotline, but it was probably all reverse-justification because none of the motivations make sense. This show could've gone all cyborg-vampire or even Manchurian Candidate in this plotline so that Enzo had NO agency whatsoever but it instead wanted an emotional confrontation. Neither worked. Too bad, because the Enzo-Damon stuff could have been actually interesting. At this point it was all just screentime taken away from Katherine sorry.

Meanwhile Stefan had a particularly smarmy moment with Aaron.

So, Stefan let Aaron go after Aaron explained that Damon had been targeting his family, because Stefan wanted to make a point about he's not as much of a monster as Damon was. UM SORRY. We've seen enough of this show to know that over the long run Stefan has murdered far more people and been way more ruthless. We know this. Stefan knows this. So to get all superior to Damon in this scene was just lame. Unless he was just lying in order to get Aaron to turn over his secret files, in which case, victory? But I'm pretty sure Stefan was being sincere when he claimed to be a better person than Damon. That was such a Stefan thing to claim.

Okay, then after what felt like a million scenes of nothing happening between Elena and Dr. Maxfield, he finally started doing stuff. Specifically he explained that he'd developed a serum that would make vampires crave vampire blood. And he wanted to inject her with it so that she'd become a Ripper toward vampires. Now, THAT is a good idea. And scary. And has stakes. But again, it's not really science-y. So does he actually want to develop health remedies from vampire blood or was he simply trying to eradicate vampires? Can't have it both ways, dude! A little more specificity with the Augustine stuff would have made me care more. (Oh, and by the way, the "Augustine vampire" was actually Enzo and HE ate Elena's roommate. Just in case you were hoping there'd be a cool reveal behind that turn of events, nope.)

To Dr. Maxfield's credit, he actually did stab Elena with the syringe! But of course he didn't think to sedate her or knock her out or anything beforehand, so all she had to do was head-butt him and/or whip him with her hairdo and it was lights out!

Dr. Maxfield never pressed the plunger, so Elena was NOT going to be a vampire-feeding ripper this day. Also Stefan arrived a second too late and unbuckled her and pretended to be her savior.

So yeah, okay. Consider the seeds of this romance re-sewn.

This was a very excellent scene:

Nadia confided in Matt that she'd lost hope in Katherine and they bonded over what disappointments their mothers had been. First of all, I love any mention of Matt's mom (mostly because I want Melinda Clarke to return to the show), but also this felt emotionally sophisticated and immediately affecting. Nadia is a new character but I'm already invested in her because I understand her motivations AND she's proactive enough to try and actually get results. Also it counts a lot in her favor that she's clearly taking a shining to Matt. You know?

Sure, they touched hands over an ancient gypsy-witch dagger, but still. It felt real. Also, maybe this has been explained before, but did Matt and Rebekah know that Nadia was a vampire when they first picked her up in Prague? If not, how did they not know? Rebekah especially should have known. These are the things I wonder when I watch teen serials about sexually promiscuous monsters.

So yeah, Damon saved Enzo's life by injecting him with something labeled "antidote." Classic quick-thinking. But then Enzo was still mad, so Damon stuck his hand in Enzo's chest and admitted that he'd turned his emotion switch off before leaving Enzo to die, but I honestly cannot be bothered to care about Enzo anymore.

But the important thing to note (at least this episode really wanted us to note it) was that Damon was suddenly realizing that he had certain psychopathic tendencies that would never go away. And while, to us, it never seemed like he'd ever forgotten that fact and indeed his arc for a few seasons now has been about him fighting against those tendencies, now it was suddenly too much to bear and he was ready to walk away from his relationship just like that.

It all went down in the Salvatore shanty where Elena was reading her father's murder journal and, as Elena is wont to do, openly justifying murder.

But Damon seemed pained. Like someone who realized he was in love with a woman who not only frequently looked past mass murder, but seemed to only surround herself with mass murderers. And it was, somehow, his bad influence on her that made her this way.

WHOOPS! Damon and Elena broke up! Seemed kind of abrupt to me, but whatever. Elena's love life is the bread and butter of this show, but boy am I tired of bread and butter. Sorry to sound controversial, but I legit don't care who Elena dates or which Salvatore gets a turn next. I truly don't. This used to be a serial, but now it's a procedural. WHO'S DATING ELENA THIS SEASON. Don't care. Everybody stay single, please.

THIS was what I cared about, and it might be the only thing I'll care about from now on:

Katherine tried to get a firm answer out of Stefan about what their hookup had meant to him. Was this the culmination of nearly two centuries' of romantic intrigue, or was it, as last week's episode implied, just a foolish chapter in their messed up lives? Obviously Katherine was hoping for something more meaningful, but, devastatingly, Stefan did not feel the same way.

I mean, unrequited love will always be compelling (much more so than a love triangle, which is a humblebrag of a problem), so it was hard not to feel VERY sad for Katherine in this moment. Stefan's logic was, she had been super mean to him for a few hundred years so it would be hard to look past her myriad crimes and love her. (Again, Stefan was a total hypocrite here. How many times had he been a ripper by this point? Twelve dozen? Yet he knew firsthand he was still essentially a decent person deserving of love.) But really, the look on Katherine's face as she tried to walk away said it all:

And then, to his credit, Stefan grabbed her and made sure she knew that he was her friend and still cared about her.

Devastating. But in a good way. These two have such a history that for them to feel connected like this felt somehow even richer than a simple romantic hookup. I'm disappointed that Katherine seems to be on her way out because as much as it's been a thrill to see this redemption arc unfold, I truly felt that SHE would've helped redeem Stefan in return. And only recently had she started to accept her new circumstances! I would've loved to have seen this play out for a least a few hundred more seasons. Unfortunately the heart wants what it wants, and in Katherine's case it wanted to STOP.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I mean she's not fully dead yet according to the promos but still.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

On the one hand I'm hella upset at this show's audacity that, after the same season in which they shuttle off THREE of its best characters to another show, it (maybe) kills off the next biggest crowd pleaser. But on the other hand, as I mentioned before, Katherine is the #1 most compelling character on the show right now and it makes sense to put her life in jeopardy in order to keep us invested. The next episode (TVD's 100th!) seems to be ALL about Katherine and will either culminate in her death or at least a twist that will keep her alive in a surprising or insane way. But any episode that fully celebrates Katherine is a good episode. I just truly hope this series knows what it's doing by potentially removing its undisputed best element. Unfortunately, after how this season has unfolded so far, I'm just not so sure it does.

As far as entertainment value goes, "Fifty Shades of Grayson" was interesting enough from moment to moment, but too many of the plotlines felt inconsequential or dragged out. Obviously Enzo was a disaster, but also did we really care about Elena's father to this extent? I'm not sure that strip-mining her backstory for twists and revelations is really the best form of storytelling. Her average upbringing was what made her relatable and her story so strange. But epic sagas LOVE to overcomplicate backstories to the point of incoherence. When backstory strip-mining isn't done right it makes its characters seem dumb or incompetent for not remembering those things from the past (i.e. Damon's incarceration at Whitmore had slipped his mind for the first 8 episodes?). And Elena GREW UP with the knowledge that her father had a secret room in the basement where obvious electrocution noises could be heard? I didn't need any of that. I feel like the backstories on this show are spent. Let's move forward, guys.

SORRY SO GRUMPY. I just feel like this show has been all over the place for a while now, and very few of those places are places I want to be. 

But Happy Holidays though BYEEE!!

QUESTIONS

... What will happen to Katherine?

... Do you still care about Enzo?

... Will Damon and Elena stay broken up?

... Was Bonnie upstairs in Jeremy's room the whole time & do you blame her?

491 Comments
Comments (491)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
As good as Katherine's post "I just got some" morning smirk was, the little "happy bed dance" she did before moving in for her morning spoon was THE BEST THING EVER! Though bumping into the door on the way out was a quality 2nd place.

"It seemed like they were back to being a team, which I didn't realize I'd missed until this storyline."

Agreed 100%. They really are the best buddy cops when working together towards a common goal...for the same reasons.

"Did Matt and Rebekah know that Nadia was a vampire when they first picked her up in Prague."

Odd question, but you've got to presume yet. Rebekah's Rebekah and you'd think could sniff out any vampire. Plus, even by vampire standards, Nadia's OLD. You'd think that a vampire who's over 1000 years old would at some point cross paths with another who's 500 years old. Aside from Rose, have we met another non Original vapire as old?

"Stefan's logic was, she had been super mean to him for a few hundred years so it would be hard to look past her myriad crimes and love her. Again, Stefan was a total hypocrite here. How many times had he been a ripper by this point?"

A few missed key details of this exchange, "147 years is a long time to forgive...in one night". That's the key, "in one night". Even if you cumulatively add up all the years Stephan was a ripper, that's not even half as long as Katherine's been terrorizing him. That, and she doesn't want forgiveness or friendship, she wants redeption. A do over. It took Elana more than one night to forgive Stephan and since she's with Damon, he was never fully redeemed. I know there's a time crunch here with Katherine dying and all, but that's a pretty big ask.

That said, this episode was all Stephan and Katherine. Not specifically together, but their various scenes together and apart. Fantastic! That makes back to back episodes where I've got little interest in what Elena and Damon are up to. TVD. Fix this please.
More+
Flag
Yes, really a stupid episode with plenty of puzzling script decisions. It's rare that the characters behave in such an illogical way, even for TVD standards.
For example, in addition to all the other things pointed out in the review, when Stefan saves Elena from the basement, instead of stealing her father's diary, couldn't Elena DESTROY THE SERUM THAT MAKES VAMPIRES RABID?! or set fire to the lab?! (eventually removing the doctor's body first, if they don't want to kill him)
Flag
Love this review and agree completely with ever word. TVD has been failing to deliver on logical storytelling from Ep. 2 I say. That's when this season started going down hill. It really plunged when they reveals yet ANOTHER doppelganger plot. I think Katherine is going to hop into Elena's body to save herself. If they kill her off, what's next?
Flag
I don't get the "Damon was still in a vengenful killing spree some months ago"... doesn't it go AGAINST Damon's character evolution? You know that thing that is so important to quality tv shows but here is like an obstacle to shocking viewers or something.

I like that Damon broke up with Elena because he realized he is a monster and he thinks or knows (depending on you view in life and humanity or vampires or whatev) that he can't change, it make sense, Damon has to face his own demons but... saying he was still that monster two days ago, for me it was a little too OOC. I am not saying he is incapable of killing, obviously he is, but his killing sprees usually comes from "I hate myself" moments or "let's kill this random person so Elena will be safe". Damon knows Elena won't be ok with his vengenful traditions and we are supposed to believe Elena is the thing he most value, so I can't believe he still decided to leave his house to kill Aaron's aunt even when it could put in danger his relationship with Elena. I have never been tortured for 5 years, so I don't know how many years you need to get over it but... still, it seemed to me like a cheap plot switch.
More+
Flag
^plot twist, not plot switch XD
Flag
Great episode! Both Stefan and Aaron being out of the loop on the whole Augustine vampire plot was a little annoying since it resulted in an extra dose on exposition, and yes, Enzo's logic, and all those lecture hall scenes were very problematic, but other than that it kept me entertained. Plus it was hilarious watching Damon and Stefan take Aaron.

They honestly can't kill off Katherine, she's the best thing that ever happened to the show since her arrival at the end of the first season. While the show may have grown less and less enticing as its progressed, with its extremely boring, supposedly main characters, as well as a many questionable sub-plots, Katherine has remained constantly great, and she just keeps on getting better as this episode proves. To be honest even her current plot-line is ridiculous (dying of old age? Travellers?) and crowded with boring/ annoying characters (Matt and Nadia), yet somehow she manages to overcome that and remain the best part of the show.

I'm still a bit confused about Dr. Maxfield's motivations. Elena's father was obviously doing experiments on vampires to utilise their healing properties, which is fine, but now Maxfield is trying to make vampires crave the blood of other vampires, to what? Rid the world of all vampires? That seems super counter-productive to the original cause, but anyway.

You're not wrong about the feels either Price, there were several moments in this episode that I found moving, although we seem to disagree on some. I loved in when Nadia found out Katherine only wanted to live because of Stefan and stormed off, that was a completely understandable reaction. And yes, it was painful to watch Stefan brush Katherine off, but the scene was also very touching.

Where we disagree is on the whole Damon and Elena break-up. Many viewers saw it coming when Damon's devious deeds regarding Enzo came out the last couple of episodes, and that's probably not a good thing, but I didn't expect it to unfold the way it did. Props to Ian Somerhalder in that scene, I really felt his anguish at deciding he needed to let Elena go because neither he or her should accept him being a bad person as the status-quo. I guess I liked it because, unlike the four or five times Elena and Stefan broke up, I feel like Damon's reasoning was legitimate and memorable enough to make me react to it. I honestly couldn't tell you one reason why Elena and Stefan broke up and got back together.
More+
Flag
I just can't stay away. For once, your review did not piss me off. I don't hate Elena like other people, but I have also reached the point where I don't give a rat's ass about who she ends up with. I find Katherine's redemption arc more interesting. And I love Matt being the fountain of wisdom. However, the way it goes in TV is that to make one person look good, you have to make another character look stupid. You can't make everyone look good at the same time. ((Unfortunately, sometimes the bad moments become everlasting stains that people never get over. Once Elena was labelled whiny bitch, it was all people could see anymore. Even when the writers tried to make her look cool with her emotions off, people still hated her. No matter what the writers do, people will keep hating her because they have closed off their minds after deciding to. The same thing happened with Stefan. Remember way back when the Ripper thing was introduced and people LOVED it? He became a bad ass and not just a preachy good two shoes. Now people just use it to put him down. Like you. He is now forever labelled a self-loathing violent pussy? idk. kind of got off topic there.)) Anyway, Delena's break up felt forced and contrived. Although I loved when Damon yelled "Stop defending me!" It made me realize, Elena doesn't accept people the way they are. She defends their actions. She rationalizes moral conflict away. Very interesting. Except she countered with a good point that she does accept Damon's badness, just like how she accepts it from herself. Like when she killed Caroline's not boyfriend. But then Damon countered with a good point that Damon changed Elena into that kind of person and that it's not who she is naturally. I suppose their break up does make sense after all. I also agree that Enzo was bratty and annoying and hard to sympathize with. He would have been scarier if he threw the chair at Damon instead of out the window. I also agree the lapses in logic make it hard to take things seriously and care. I also agree characters not knowing their own backstory makes them look stupid. Like this stuff about Damon murdering Aaron's family. It feels so out of left field. I really wish these characters would STOP TALKING about who's good and who's bad and what makes them so for like ONE episode. Just stop reflecting on your shitty lives FOR ONE EPISODE and just live them. This series needs to get its plot together so it can stop with the filler dialogue. I really miss that one vampire from a long time ago who had 17 degrees. He posed the very thoughtful question, "what else should I being doing with my time/life?" If only more vampires were thoughtful and smart like you. Except most of them decide to waste away filling their life with regretful decisions and drinking and slaughtering and filling up on angst. Oh yeah, and did I mention cheating hard working people out of their house, wealth, and life? It seems like being a tool is naturally part of being a vampire. You know, people wouldn't hate vampires so much if they did useful things, like arrested bad guys or worked in mines, you know that dangerous work that kills regular humans. I'm sorry. I'm getting ranty. Adios for now.
More+
Flag
This season has kind of been slowing down to me lately, the only character I'm still really captivated by/interested in is Katherine. They've done a great job of giving depth to her character and not just giving her one dimensional emotions. Also thought it was really cool that they used "The Love Club" by Lorde when Matt helps Katherine work out, I'm glad Matt is back as hopefully that will spice some things up and that scene and song are a great fit
Flag
Cheer up Price! Teen Wolf is back soon!
Flag
Also I feel like Ian Somerhalder knows his character so well that when the writers give him an idiotic episodic arc, his usual amazing acting goes out the window. His last scenes with Elena and Enzo were evidence of this, plus the episode last season with Lexi where he had his humanity off. Out of character = bad acting because the actor doesn't agree with the writing. Please fix this, writers.
Flag
Enzo's SL this episode was torture to sit through. And you didn't mention it, Price, but that sequence of flashbacks to THE PREVIOUS EPISODE while Enzo narrated was a total directing fail. I don't know why this show thought that we as viewers needed to see the same thing again PLUS hear it from the character, but boy I wanted to go to sleep at that point.

And that didn't really change for pretty much the whole episode. Worst TVD mid-season finale by far. Hoping they saved alll the good stuff for the 100th, but still, poor job here. My favourite scene was the Matt and Nadia one.

The Delena breakup was so stupid. The lengths the writers are now going to to keep this love triangle alive is laughable. Damon has always known who he is, that is the core difference between himand Stefan.

Price, I love you so much for calling Stefan out on his usual holier-than-thou BS.

I hope that Kat jumps into Elena's body and we'll get to see Nina pull THAT off. Remember in S2 where there were constant guessing games about which doppelganger it was? Imagine that, but in the same body. Kat wanting Stefan and Elena wanting Damon back. A love shape I could deal with.

As usual, Price, you make these episodes worth it. This one in particular.
More+
Flag
So glad to see that I am not the only one who thought there were serious continuity problems with this episode. Sometimes it appears that the writers don't feel it is necessary to explain what happens between scenes and we have to work it out for ourselves.

It was good to see the Salvatores work together again. This is one of the elements that makes this show fun to watch. I have really missed their relationship and I want more of it. But where was Caroline, Bonnie and Jeremy? Is Damon the only one who cares if Elena is in trouble nowadays? Get the team back together please!

Damon's break up with Elena was very abrupt. Oh Damon why did you spend four seasons trying to steal Elena from Stefan only to break up with her only because you are psychotic killer? Damon has always stated that he does bad things and he will never change, so this was not new information in the show. I don't care which brother Elena ends up but I do hope that she will get back together with Damon.

Even though Damon is my favourite character I have to agree that Stefan is the better vampire when it comes to his moral code. Damon would have killed Wes (unless Elena told him not too) but Stefan believes that killing is wrong. Yes, during his ripper years he has been more ruthless and psychotic but it has always been suggested as though its something he can't control, like an addict. Damon has pointed out many times that he enjoys the kill and revels in the fun of it.

I'm pretty sure that Katherine will be alright, she always finds a way to survive and she is the most interesting character this season. I just don't get how she could still be part witch if she has been a vampire. Since the show has suggested that once a witch becomes a vampire they are no longer a witch. So how would she be able to move into Elena's body (which seems to be the most obvious scenario).

I was not too keen on Enzo in this episode but I didn't like Klaus when he first showed up either. So I am going to wait and see how his character develops.
More+
Flag
who else thought it was weird/funny that jeremy didn't seem to care/notice that his sister has been kidnapped (again!) - since he didn't appear in the last two episodes? lol
Flag
Anyone else think its funny that Bonnie has be absent these last few episodes?

Between Marcel's failed coup and The Human Faction assault with a bunch of Vampires burned to death she is probably off screaming "Is it Friday yet?" somewhere
Flag
I got SO excited for the first time in a long time when I thought Elena was about to become a ripper and be the seasons Big Bad. And JUST as Katherine is finding her good side! SO GOOD! SO EXCITING! YES!

& then... no. Just like that, all my dreams were dashed in one very questionable head butt.
Flag
So glad Elena and Damon broke up. Also, if Stefan and Elena start shirtless hugging again, that's gonna be annoying.
I'm still hoping they can do something actually okay with Enzo? Because last episode I was like Ya-it's-an-interesting-character... And he wasn't. So, um, yeah.
Where was Jeremy. Where was cool Bonnie. Where was Caroline. Where were people. (I do not blame Bonnie)
i just want everyone to be cool again. Everyone was cool at some point. (Does not include Elena. Ever.)

Flag
katherine is the only character i care about. srsly if she would die, my only motivation to continue watching TVD would be your recaps .... elena damon stefan triangle is the most boring thing and once Katherine would die, i can imagine that the whole show would be about DAMON OR STEFAN again ... uggghhh
Flag
Guys I REALLY miss season 3 Damon and Elena, when we were all practically falling off of our chairs from scenes like: "when I drag my brother from the edge and deliver him back to you, I want you to remember the things that you felt while he was gone."
All of their passion is just gone. All of that well written almost kissing has been left behind with: Enzo dude, I've got to save my girlfriend again. bleh.

I'm 100 percent sure Katherine won't die in the next episode. It's okay Price, she'll be okay. But I'm here for you if you need a hug ;) Katherine will either gypsy magick her way into Elena's body, or she'll "accidentally" get injected with that syringe that Aaron took, and all of a sudden be able to drink vampire blood.

I really hope she doesn't try to take someone's body, especially not Elena's. Katherine has started on a somewhat at times comical road to redemption, if she steals someone's body, then she'll be back tracking. She's only spent 500 years in love with Stefan and been trying to win him back, ... doing something selfish like that would go against all of that.

I hope Enzo tries to go out and live a free life, but ends up at the Mystic grill and drinks away his anger away with Damon and they form a lovely bromance and become drinking buddies.

More+
Flag
WTH??!!!!!!!!!!! No Caroline at all this season! even whats her face witchy witch!

She couldn't have done a GPS ELENA App ASAP and made that guy's head explode or something?!!

OK SO IF ELENA'S DAD IS STILL ALIVE I AM NOT GONNA WATCH THE SHOW!!
Flag

From the moment Nadia said that Katherine could jump into an other body I was like 'well there goes Elena'. Glad Katherine held of for at least one episode. I wouldn't like the story to go there. Katherine needs to stay in Katherines body.

What is Aaron going to do with the syringe? Is he going to become a scientist in secret (personally I think he hasn't got enough brain cells for it but more people on this show have surprised me). Can he stop funding the Augustine society?

-Katherine will probably be able to drink Elena's vampire blood and keep it down. They're completely the same in body, so her blood is Elena's blood minus the vampire part.

-Yes, I care about Enzo, Damon needs a new drinking buddy, and Elena needs a new love. She seems to be liking the tortured, broken and broody types, he's perfect.

-Who knows for how long but they'll kiss and make up. I'm okay with it as long as she doesn't go back to Stefan.

-Who cares where Bonnie went, I wanna know where Caroline was. Shouldn't she be missing her best friend and help find her?

More+
Flag
oooh, Katherine in Elena's body, that could be interesting!
Flag
I really couldn't care less about the story lines that are developing this season. Only the Katherine one has some promise. Let's see where that goes.
Flag
your recaps have went so downhill when you started talking a lot more shit than recapping. youre not funny at all anymore.
Flag
LMAO at the Fred G Sanford reference!!
Flag
No-to really make it a Sanford reference you need to say "I'm comin' home 'Lizbeth!!"
Flag
I love Katherine and she is amazing!!!!

As a Delena shipper I thought that the whole destined doppelganger thing pissed me off but Damon thinking what? He's too murdery for her? That weirdo loves murder!!! Her last boyfriend massacred people till the point of ripping them apart.
Flag
I am puh-rayiiing for Katherine to do the passenger-thing and jump into Elena's body. Wouldn't that just be the next big epic challenge for Nina Dobrev? Changing between those two characters within split-seconds and without a costume change? Matt and Gregor were definite proof that two souls can coexist in one body and Katherine was veeery insistent on having the same one... please, please, pretty please, show!!!!!!!!
Flag

You're right it would be a challenge for the Dobrev but I wouldn't like the story to go there. Katherine would have to be Elena sometime and a love life would just become way to complicated and ridiculous.

Flag
Hahaha, it would be hilarious, almost bordering on slapstick comedy. I don't know how the writers plan on pulling this off and still have the audience take it seriously. I can just picture Elena slapping herself as Katherine tries to keep her new body from kissing Damon. I mean, it's awkward enough already that the whole cast is now living in the Salvatore boarding house. Damon breaks up with Elena, but Elena still has to crash there cuz she burnt down her own house. What a mess of a show, seriously.
Flag
What the hell is a MILNF?
Flag
Mom I'd NOT like to F... What is FML?
Flag
Fuck my life
Flag
Ive heard it as
Mother I'd Like Never Fuck (but in a white girl accent so whatevs heard it both ways)
Flag
Mother I Love NOT to Fuck
Flag
This whole review and it says nothing about Aaron picking up the syringe full of stuff to make vamps eat vamps....Am I the only one who noticed this...
Flag
Price is so beyond obsessed with Katherine, that he's totally forgetting this is a recap of the episode
Flag
OK,let's talk about the stereotypical 90's computer that Elena's dad had sitting right outside of his vamp lab!! It was like, there was NOTHING else they could think of to make it look like 1999. Like: "here, this looks like a computer someone had back then!! This looks like someone played "DOOM" or "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego " on it! Let us set this here to represent the grim 90's!" They should have also set a Will Smith "Willenium" CD next to the computer.
Flag
Haha, yeah. The mammoth copier in the corner was quaint as well.
Flag
I really hope they don't kill Katherine next week, since she was introduce she has been my favorite :( I think the show is doing a fine job recovering from the loss of the originals only because of Katherine storyline so if she dies im really scared to see where they will go next.. Im still happy to get a Katherine episode for the 100th'
Flag
Nooo, Katherine, nooo! I FINALLY decided I loved her SO MUCH this season, and just last episode I finally decided I would root for her and Stefan instead of Elena and Stefan moving forward, and now. . . Ahhhh! But once again, loved this episode because of all of the feels! We'll see how they handle it going forward, but I'm having fun right now!
Flag
Anyone else think that the reason they broke up Damon and Elena is so that Elena could start dating Aaron? Am I the only person who sees that she kind of acts like she's obsessed with him (compelling him to tell her his life story, asking Damon not to kill Wes [even though he's obviously dangerous] because he's the only living person left in Aaron's life, trying to comfort him about his orphan status almost any chance she got etc.)? Just me? Okay then.
Flag
Katherine will jump into Elena's body (she already said she liked the body) and Kathlena will become a total schizo. She will have black-outs the way Matt did and she will sleep with Stefan and Damon at alternate times. Now wouldn't that be interesting? Seriously.
Flag
Or be very efficient and screw Damon and Stefan at the *same* time.
Flag
Nah.. I'd prefer the characters be single for awhile like dang find someone new.
Flag
Amazing!
Flag
I completely forgot about the schizo nature of the traveler body jumping. Elena would still exist, but Katherine could cut her off whenever Elena was becoming more annoying than usual. Brilliance.
Flag
Can Katherine transfer into Elena? That would be nice. I'm sure Nina Dobrev wouldn't mind, since she probably isn't paid twice as much to portray two main characters. Given the "soul mate" and "the only person who mattered to me" dialog from Enzo, I wouldn't be surprised if he and Damon have hate sex or something at some point. Regardless, I think Enzo is meant to stick around for the season. I actually didn't care for Klaus at first, so maybe with time Enzo won't be so annoying...just maybe.
Flag
Hahaha, genius!

Flag
^Haha, yes! I mean they were two very attractive vampires locked away together for a long time. They had to pass the time somehow.
Flag
I have a feeling there will be a Denzo hookup coming soon. This whole new plot line they're planning on introducing with Luke, the first-ever gay character on TVD, is a way of prepping the audience for a, what shall we call it?, less traditional romantic connection between major characters. Kind of like what they did with Jesse when they were foreshadowing the Augustine vamp arc for Damon.
Flag
Your words to my dreams. Damon and Enzo would make a hot and twisted couple. I hadn't heard about Luke until your comment, and his introduction should be awesome.
Flag
Pretty bad episode IMO, don't feel it like a mid-season finale, oh well...
So, does this means the Augustine storyline is over ? What other Augustine mystery is there to solve ?
Elena and Damon breaking up ? I don't think so, we all know they are going to have at least this season, I really hope so, I really not in the mood for that damn triangle again.
Feeling really sad for Katherine, I don't think she is going to die in the next episode, it would not make any sense since her storyline with Nadia and the Travellers hasn't even begun.
To me this body switching thing is BS and I hope they find another way to save her, I hope they don't bring another actress to play Katherine, we love her because of how Nina plays her, if they transfer her mind into Elena it would be amusing to see Elena switching personalities, but I'm not a fan of this idea either.
Katherine's fans are really suffering this season.
So, 5 weeks until the new episode and 4 weeks for The Originals ? this sucks.
Happy holidays!
More+
Flag
They still have to reveal who the subject with the abnormal blood is. I'm assuming it must be Enzo, especially now that we've seen him out in broad daylight without a ring, so I'm really hoping there are still more layers to Enzo. Otherwise, what a waste of a potentially awesome character.
Flag
>>But like, okay, this time he had the advantage of a bullet that he could jam into the keyhole and explode. But you're telling me he figured out how to bust out of this prison over the course of 6 hours but couldn't bust out during the 5 YEARS he'd been in there? Get ready, because this episode was not the most logical episode. <<

That is putting it mildly. There are too many holes in the logic to count. I gave up long ago on expecting logic from TVD, but now we have the new subject of Damon's and Enzo's imprisonment and that alone makes no sense on so many levels.

1. Like Price pointed out - Damon escaped in the course of an afternoon but couldn't escape in 5 years?
2. Why was there a live bullet sitting on the floor, anyway??
3. Elena head-butted Wes into unconsciousness on her very first day and that was after she'd been drained of a lot of blood. Damon and Enzo never thought of that?
4. Or of overpowering Wes and his buddies in some other way? Like when Damon was drinking Enzo's portion of blood for a year, maybe after 6 months he could've knocked out Wes? Killed him??
5. As has been mentioned before, why didn't Damon get the key and free Enzo?
6. Megan was feeding Enzo. Why didn't he break out then? And get the F out of town?
7. Presumably he *did* break out on the first day of college and killed Megan (talk about biting the hand that feeds you!). How'd he end up back on Wes' table?
8. Why oh why did Stefan and Elena not kill Wes??

There are others I'm sure. As much as I'm willing to enjoy TVD and not expect logic, this is almost too much.
More+
Flag
I can answer some of these at least. Aaron dropped the bullet when he was fumbling with loading the gun before he shot Damon in the head last week.

Maybe Enzo wasn't the augustine vampire, maybe he's just using Enzo as a scapegoat and he really killed her himself or something. That is a way to explain how she was thrown out of the window. I'm not sure whether I believe some parts of this story happened the way people are guessing just yet.

Wes wasn't the one that had Damon and Enzo in the flashbacks, Dr. Whitmore did. Thinking about that fact I was brainstorming the idea (and this would have been a way to tie both storylines) that maybe Wes is actually Dr. Whitmore. There was something about the way he said "the advancement of science". Would be kind of funny if the Whitmores were travelers and had been traveling heir through heir to continue their insane work and teach others.

I'm guessing Damon didn't want to get the key and free Enzo because the house was coming down in the fire around him and he didn't want to get recaptured. When he touched the cages they were hot.

For the last one I'm guessing for once they had enough of killing people, even if they deserved it. And if they kill Wes he can't possibly come back later in the season with any new tricks up his sleeve.
More +
Flag
That's right, it was Dr. Whitmore who had Damon & Enzo in the 50s but the question is the same: Damon & Enzo could not find any way to overpower him in all those years? When Elena was able to do it on her first day?

You are right about the bullet, I forgot Aaron was fumbling with the gun.. but live bullets just fall out? I suppose they can, I don't know, I have no experience with guns.

What IS an Augustine vampire, anyway? What does it mean?
Flag
EVERYONE JUST STAY SINGLE :) i totally agree :) and katherine had better not die and leave me with boring elena! And once again no shirtless jeremy or any shirtless hot guy?!! WTF?!?
Flag
Stefan was shirtless around the first seen... LOL.
Flag
Honestly, the only person on the show I truly care about anymore is Katherine. Never thought I'd see the day...
Flag
Also, I feel like Stefan might end up choosing Katherine over Elena... If that's at all possible
Flag
I think there are multiple ways to go with how they might let Katherine live..
1: she jumps into someone else's body. I highly doubt it would be Elena's- even if it was, it would have to be temporary. What happened to Amara's body? Could that be Katherine's new home? (And one she doesn't have to share?) or another option is Nadia- I can see the daughter, desperate to save her mother, putting Katherine's soul inside her- even if it is against Katherine's will...

2: Part of me feels like seeing Aaron take the syringe was important... What if he somehow stabs Katherine with it? The weird Augustine properties might reinstate her vampire-hood- and make her the most powerful character on the show, a drastic change from her whiny aging days. Without the threat of death hanging over her head, she might re think how much she needs these people- even Stefan.

3: Or they might just let Katherine die.

P.s, they need to make Bonnie a witch again. Why did she lose her powers? Amara stayed a vampire when she was the anchor...right?
Flag
She lost her powers because she died (before she ever was the anchor). If a witch dies in away way (natural causes or turned into a vamp) they lose their power. Bonnie wasn't a witch when she was made into the anchor, she was a ghost with no powers.
Flag
Amara wasn't a vampire, she was just a human who was made immortal.
Flag
If Katherine dies,I'm done with the show because the show is boring without her and they've done nothing but screw me over & over for over a year.They broke up Stefan & Elena,killed Kol,broke up & Tyler & Caroline,and killed Silas,Tessa & Amara all in one episode.I waited for Katherine to return from her being gone for so long time.If they kill her off,there's no reason to watch.All there will be is Elena being in love with both brothers,Caroline having boy problems,something bad happening to Bonnie,and Matt having this phobia of not wanting to date women who are vampires no matter how hot they are.BORING!
Flag
Taking things one by one:
-Elena had no purpose yet again, for another episode
-I really liked Stefan in this episode but: "not all vampires are like Damon" Seriously? I do not in any way try to justify what Damon did, but wan't Stefan the one that killed his whole family and many many other unknown people? Oh! and his interaction with Katherine in the end was cute. And it reminds me of Elena's "It will always be Stefan"
-Damon started being a little bit like Season 1-2. But the break up (was it really a break up, it seemed like a fight to me) was because he didn't want to feel the pressure changing. And it was quite frankly out of the blue. Anyway, they'll get back together and break up many times to follow till the very end.
-Katherine: I said it last week too. I liked Katherine, she and Damon were the best characters. However one of the reasons for her greatness was that she came on and off. Now they are wearing off her sass. I am tired of seeing Katherine age day after day and even though she is still enjoyable that is due to the fact that the show in general is barely average. She is not going to die, of course she is not going to die, exactly because the Travelers were mentioned. Of course she is going to find another body, many thought that it might be Elena's and I think that it would be interesting (for the love triangle) for this to happen.
-Aaron: male April, now that he has the syringe he has some purpose, that's the most intriguing part of the episodes to come, to see who will get injected (Someone will certainly get injected)
-Dr Wes: I will be yet another person to ask why he is still alive. But I guess Enzo is weird and Elena and Stefan are to noble to save themselves
- Enzo: I like him! Even though they ruined his story in this episode, I still hope he will be kind of a new Alaric ( :'( )
-Matt: was Price the one that used to say that Matt is like comfort food? Cause he certainly is (Don't care about Nadia)
So in general, not a great mid season finale. At this point it feels like the show has opened many doors that at some point will make sense, but not now. They all seem interesting but since they do not advance anyhow they don't make sense. Furthermore, it feels like the show does not have a main character anymore. And that's due to the fact that there is no story line.
More+
Flag
"I really liked Stefan in this episode but: "not all vampires are like Damon" Seriously? I do not in any way try to justify what Damon did, but wan't Stefan the one that killed his whole family and many many other unknown people?"

Yes but Stefan had remorse. Stefan has been tortured by guilt for what he's done for over 100 years. Stefan has tried to atone. Damon has held onto hate even after he got everything he's ever wanted. Even after he achieved happiness he still needed to perform his psychotic revenge. The only other vampire I know whose is that psychotic is Klaus, so yeah I agree not all vampires are like that.
Flag
I have never really bought Stefan's remorse completely. I'm not saying he doesn't feel any guilt, but all the people he has killed has never seemed to change his opinion that he is at his heart a good person. Case in point is that he could so easily claim to be "not like my brother". It is though he views the ripper and his vampire tendencies as something outside himself, victimizing him as much as everyone else, which to me feels like he is not really taking responsibility for his actions. Other than his one tour driving an ambulance in WII as directed by Lexi , I am not really sure how he has tried to atone for his behavior other than to tell everyone he is tortured by guilt which everyone just seems to accept and not want to add to.

Damon on the other hand likes to say he doesn't feel guilty but, frankly, if that were true he would be a far happier, less tortured, and more secure figure. Damon very clearly does not like to invite people into his inner turmoil like his brother does. He prefers to deflect and avoid and from the beginning the only person he ever slightly opened up to about his emotions was Elena. But the fact that he has always viewed himself as unworthy (to the point of not even flinching at his own brother's put downs), clearly shows he feels guilt, and guilt he has never forgiven himself for. Instead he has allowed it to define his view of himself to the point he would prefer no one raise their expectations of him for fear he will disappoint them and reopen old wounds he'd rather forget. This is why no matter how many times he has shown himself capable of heroic and selfless actions he is constantly declaring that he is not the good one, not the hero, he doesn't do the right thing, he is selfish and he can't change. This is guilt talking, plain and simple. Guilt and hopelessness.

Klaus on the other hand seems to have a rather high opinion of himself. He truly seems at a loss about why everyone doesn't absolutely love him. Unlike Damon, he is constantly blaming others for the situations he gets himself into. He constantly views himself as the victim. The last thing you would ever hear Klaus say is "I don't deserve you, but my brother does."
More +
Flag
That's rather insightful!!! Basically, Stefan does not face his problems directly which can easily lead him to the same spiral behavior over and over again, whereas Damon feels guilty but is not whining about it. While reading your comment I remember Damon admitting he was feeling guilt back in season 1.
Flag
^Totally agree....i think the writer's try to convey this same message about both of them but half the audience are either too stupid to understand it or just don't want to
Flag
And exactly that comment leads to this conclusion. And I remember that JP or CD said that the brothers have the same qualities and considering where they want to go with the story line they emphasize their good and bad aspects.
Flag
The part about Stefan's remorse is true (And by far the best argument I have heard on behalf of Stefan). But the way Stefan said it was not as if not everyone is like my brother in regards with their motives, it was no-one kills as much as Damon and I think it was highly ironic to come out of Stefan's mouth.
Flag
I totally agree with you on the love triangle aspect, Price. I was actually glad when they broke Damon and Elena up, not because I don't like them (tbh I am extremely indifferent), but because they didn't even act like a couple for more than a handful of scenes. Elena spent half her time being indifferent to Damon and the other half of her time being mad at him, so what was the bloody point? If you ask me, the writers severely let down the Damon & Elena shippers.

I loved that Elena was justifying her father's torture of vampires because he was doing it in an effort to save lives. Ummm... extract vamp blood and boom. Then you figure out a way to mass produce it or something. What part of that scenario ever would have needed torture? Obviously he was trying to figure out the limits to which the vamp blood would save someone, but really?? Ugh.

I still like Enzo, but I definitely found him way more compelling and charismatic in the previous episode. I missed Caroline in this episode - although I'm sure the writers will make her have plenty of snarky hate for Damon next time she talks to Elena, and I am not looking forward to that.

Katherine has honestly become the most compelling and interesting character on this show. Her exchanges with every other character always have such subtle intensity and I love it. I don't want her to go anywhere, because she's amazing.

This episode did not feel like a mid-season finale. If you compare this one to the last season's mid-season finale, this one looks like a joke. A lot of it was boring, and there were no stakes to Katherine's heart attack because we know she's still - at least temporarily - alive in the next episode.
More+
Flag
Stefan IS better than Damon, so it was nice to see him let Aaron go and show him that not all vampires are the worst, like Damon.

Wes did inject Elena with the serum, didn't he? It was empty when Aaron took it. At least that's what it looked like.

- I really hope Katherine doesn't die!!
- I do not care about Enzo & it was so anti-climatic that he was the Augustine vampire. Although he did help Damon realize that all he does is bring Elena down.
- Yes, please let Damon and Elena stay broken up!
Flag
Oh Please stop with the 'Saint Stefan/Damon the Antichrist' garbage! You clearly don't understand any of the subtext of this show. Stefan is NO better than Damon, he just whines a lot more!
Flag
I don't remember Stefan killing for the hell of it, unlike Damon? Whining? Give me a break, at least Stefan has taken the necessary steps (and assistance from Lexi) to own up to his own shortcomings unlike Damon. Has Damon improve a little? Sure, but all that has nearly gone to waste since he is out there killing based on revenge, condemning those of the present on someone else past evil deeds.
Flag
Here's a quote from the very own people doing these recaps
"So, Stefan let Aaron go after Aaron explained that Damon had been targeting his family, because Stefan wanted to make a point about he's not as much of a monster as Damon was. UM SORRY. We've seen enough of this show to know that over the long run Stefan has murdered far more people and been way more ruthless. We know this. Stefan knows this. So to get all superior to Damon in this scene was just lame. Unless he was just lying in order to get Aaron to turn over his secret files, in which case, victory? But I'm pretty sure Stefan was being sincere when he claimed to be a better person than Damon. That was such a Stefan thing to claim."
Like i said DELUSIONAL! And i'm not real thrilled with what the writer's are doing to Damon's character right now because of things KATHERINE posing as Elena said to him! To have his character regress is so illogical when they've gone to great lengths on this series to show that Damon IS redeemable and now they are going to destroy all of that? Excellant Story-telling-NOT!
More +
Flag
I agree with the story telling being terrible at the moment. But you have to admit, Damon does not try to be good for himself unlike Stefan. I'm not denying that Stefan has killed, but at least Stefan is trying to redeem himself and seek out help (Lexi). Stefan told Damon that his bad deeds were his own, that Damon had nothing to do with it and that he missed his brother. Damon does not have these qualities (he displayed it one time on his death bed) and he has been like this since the series started. I wouldn't be so against Damon if he tried to be good on his own terms.
Flag
Stefan didn't kill for the hell of it? Really? what about the whole village he killed in Monterey? What about the names of his victims he wrote on walls so he could 'relive' the kill as Klaus put it? What about when he murdered Andie Starr just to 'send a message' for Damon & Elena to stop looking for him? Stefan ran around in season 1 pretending he was being 'victimized' by Damon for NO reason whatsoever, when the whole time he knew he had 'forced' Damon to turn when he would have rather died! Give me a break! You are as delusional about Stefan as he is about himself! Damon is the one who admits what he is! Stefan is the one in denial
Flag
The names o the wall was to remind him of his bad deeds and to never forget even though he was trying to get right. Yes Andie Starr was tragic, but he tried numerous times to tell Damon to stop because he knew Klaus would come back to town, which would eventually happen causing all the events of season three, getting Tyler turned into a hybrid and getting Alaric and Elena killed. It's been known Stefan can't control his lust for blood and Klaus brought that to the forefront when Stefan was trying to save Damon.

To sit hear and say that Damon did not victimize Stefan is downright bs. Damon said it himself during season one. He was in Mystic falls for two reasons, 1. Katherine and 2. to torture Stefan, and oh did he show it during the first half of season one. During all the past events in their lives, Stefan has made it clear how much he loves his brother, the reason Stefan wanted Damon to turn because he can't live without him. They are family, the hell do you expect.

I'm delusional please, at least Stefan tries to make everything right on his own will unlike Damon. Damon becoming bad because a woman broke up with you? Please grow a damn pair, and be a good person because you want to be, not because of someone else.

More +
Flag
He stabbed her with it, but never depressed the syringe. It was full when Aaron took it.
Flag
Answers to Questions:

...I really hope she sticks around and we get to see more of Stefan+Katherine although after this episode I kind of think Stefan is a BIG jerk...

...Who?

...I really, REALLY dont care...I'd prefer if they get together again and STAY together....this back and forth is boring as hell.

...yes and no
Flag
Umm... Come on folks... I'm shocked from Price's review and some of the comments here... Nadia suggested Katherine shifts herself into a new body.
Katherine says Stefan has a thing for her body.

You all know where this is going...

Katherine is going to try and jump into Elena's body (unless some other Doppelganger shows up).

I mean I can't be the only one seeing the obvious here.
We know she can jump into a vampire's body since that's exactly what Bonnie did to Klaus when she put him inside of Tyler.

Now as for the usual ranting of the stupidity of this episode:
1) So why the heck didn't Damon and Stefan even try to compell Whitmore Jr?
2) Why isn't Damon rallying up the whole gang to help find Elena? Especially Caroline and\or Katherine who both spent some time with the doctor.
Heck, at the very least call Bonnie, she would know if Elena is dead.
3) Even if Bonnie isn't a witch, aren't there other witches to call up and ask for help with a locator spell?
4) Katherine said she was paying Matt to help her stay in shape but didn't she keep repeating over and over again that she has no money?
5) If the traveler's dagger really kills a splitted soul, why does Nadia want Katherine to have it around? Isn't that the last thing she'll need?
6) So the good doctor can't give out any excuse for why he is doing experiments? Seriously? Cure diseases? Help humanity? Even the worst people in the world do the thing they do because they thing they are doing it for the greater good.
7) Why isn't Meredith invovled in this plot line? I get that she's a minor character and a forgettable one at that, but a doctor experimenting with Vampire blood? Hello?
8) How on earth is it possible for the doc to do all that he does and have tied to the Augustine society and family and yet be completely unknown to Damon? Wasn't he going around killing them non stop?
More+
Flag
Thinking about Bonnie transferring Klaus' spirit inside Tyler kinda makes these travelers nothing really new. Is this another way for the writers to erase the entire Klaus' backstory from TVD?
Flag
Pretty much. I mean that whole thing started off with Klaus having an endless supply of witches which mysteriously disappeared for the rest of the show (not to mention the originals)
Flag
I'm pretty sure those witches were killed off.
Flag
Not that we know of. Klaus brought a single witch with him and her father said she was part of a huge group.

We never heard another word about them.
Which makes the originals plot line extremely dumb.
Flag
God I hate this retcon.
Flag
That's exactly what I'm saying. They're practically shoving it down our throats that Katherine will jump into Elena's body.
Flag
What about Amara's body?
Flag
I don't think spirit traveling, or whatever it's called, can be done with a dead decomposed body.
Flag
Never say never on a supernatural CW show

Heck, for all we know they'll just add another Doppelganger (Surely in the 500 years between Elena and Katherine someone was in the mix)
Flag
I don't get any of the logic in that.
First, is it confirmed to end soon? I just looked it up and it seems Julie Plec said earlier this year that she thinks the show can go 10 seasons. Makes more sense considering Smallville and Supernatural. It just got a spin-off... Obviously the ratings aren't going down.

Second, umm... no, they can just easily toss in doppelgangers. Amara was set up what? 1 espidoe?
Tatia was only mentioned briefly.

They can just have another brought in, say she's a vamp and shove Katherine in to return to status quo.

We're talking the Vampire Diaries here... It's not exactly a show known for overly developed plot arcs or their high regards for continuity.
Flag
They could introduce another doppelganger, sure, but it's unlikely, especially because the show is a lame duck already (only one and a half seasons remaining) so the writers need to start wrapping everything up for the finale. Introducing a new storyline with another doppelganger would require a character arc spread out over several episodes. They can't just up and introduce another doppelganger. They gotta set things up, and it's not practical. It's obvious that the writers are simply trying to find the easiest way to contrive an ending where Paul Wesley and Nina Dobrev are endgame.
Flag
I may be wrong, but I thought the body switching thing can only happen to humans...
Flag
Why? Bonnie moved Klaus into Tyler's body for a while.
Klaus planted himself inside Alaric for a while.
Flag
I was thinking more in terms of the Travelers doing the spell. I may be wrong but isn't Traveler magic different from Witch magic... I don't remember any knifes being involved in the situations mentioned above.
Flag
Who knows in this show.
I mean what's the difference between witchcraft to "expression" to "ancestral magic" etc

This show just tosses out terms with no real explanation.
Flag
Very true.
Flag
Yeah, I think we're all kinda tired at Elena's moral relativism. Kinda didn't get Stefan's thing either, in what world can he 'forgive' Elena's past actions? I reallyy hope he doesn't go running back to her -- it'd be fun to see single & sad Elena for a while third wheeling Stefan and Katherine :P

Hope they don't kill Katherine, her and Stefan could have a pretty good arc going, we've seen from Jaime Lannister just how good a redemption story can be, especially when its a character we already love.
Flag
I really want Stefan to skip town, give the whole Elena thing a rest for a while.
Flag
i really , really hope kathrine doesnt die.. but if the show plans to keep damon and elena together , then logically, stefan must find another girl to fall for and that could easily be kathrine.It would make a lot of sense , i think, considering their past and all.. BUT what i dont think would make a lot of sense is the fact that both brothers would be with girls that look excactly alike.. maybe its just me, but i dont think it would be a good idea. With that said, i think Kathrine jumping into someone else's body is maybe a good step towards her future with stefan. If the shows doesnt kill her off :/ Anyway i dont really get the plotline this season and what is supposed to be the big bad? its like the writers have stop trying :( put some more efford in it please..and some logic couldn't hurt either. Plus Enzo's plotline--> FAIL

Flag
I missed Candice Accola in this episode. Caroline and Kathrine should team-up and go with Nadia and Matt on a crime solving road trip around the states.
Flag
I think that Kat will eventually jump into someone's body. That somebody will probably be Elena since Stefan loves that body. She won't tell anyone immediately, though which will put her into villain territory again.

I DO care about Enzo. He is a justified threat. He plans revenge in odd ways, (killing dogs and mailing them to owners postage due). He didn't TRY to kill Damon because he has worse ways of making him suffer in mind. Which will probably involve Elena since he showed to care for her so much... Or could involve Stefan. Don't sleep on Enzo.

Damon and Elena will stay broken up for a couple of things to happen... Either the Katherine body snatch or another kidnapping by Enzo. Which no one will notice because she isn't with Damon anymore immediately. But if Kat DOES jump into Elena and tries to get back with Stefan I think Damon would snap. But then again... he broke up with her so......?

*What is Aaron going to do with that syringe? And I thought he was going to have some super new/weird power because Jessie gave him his weirded out vamp blood for healing... guess not*

I missed Jeremy this show. I was hoping that they'd find a way to make Bonnie a witch again.
More+
Flag
Katherine would be a fantastic big bad inside Elena's body so that the others wouldn't hurt her..
I didn't understand the syringe thing. Maybe he's going to do some research? Maybe Aaron is going to become an Augustine vampire..
Clearly a witch is working with Wes, I guess Bonnie's time is over!
Flag
What if Bonnie's grandmother was part of Augustine and SHE made the ring... Dun Dun Dunnnnnnn. LOL
Flag
I find it unlikely, but who knows?
Flag
I'd like to see them bring a new character in to be Katherine. Rose and Rebecca were great female characters that were added to the show. Give the actress playing Katherine/Elena a break already. I'm excited to see what Aaron does with the syringe. I really hope the love triangle is dead at this point. Just let Elena be friends with Damon and Stefan and stop getting in the middle of them. Damon and Stefan need story development like what they're doing with Klaus/Rebecca/Elijah on the Originals. All these rabid Stelena and Delena fans need some closure. Just give it to them already. You can't make them both happy so try and shift their focus.
Flag
Most important question for everyone: does Enzo possess a daylight ring? Does this mean there's someone working magic for the Augustine? Does this mean a new witch is finally going to substitute Bonnie?

I'm sorry Price, but I don't agree with you on several points.

About Stefan and Katherine: Yes Stefan did horrible things, but his Ripperdom is hardly his fault and mostly connected to him flipping the humanity switch. Katherine did horrible things and PLANNED TO, never turning off her humanity.

... What will happen to Katherine?
Do you think they want Nina Dobrev to stop playing different characters? I think soon we'll have a new actress or maybe Katherine will live inside Nadia, who knows.

... Do you still care about Enzo?
Why not? I'm really disappointed by the Augustine reveal. But anyway, he spent all that time probably blaming Damon, so I wasn't surprised by his behaviour. Wes probably should have just turned him into a vampire eating monster, so that he would have killed the Salvatores and Aaron would be saved.

... Will Damon and Elena stay broken up?
Yes, No, don't care anymore. Now it's Stefan's or Aaron's turn I guess?

... Was Bonnie upstairs in Jeremy's room the whole time & do you blame her?
I would expect Bonnie to bone some college dudes...
More+
Flag
I thought the doctor gave Enzo Elena's daylight ring
Flag
but the ring it protects only the designated user...so no switch is possible.....and i am pretty sure that a ring that fits elena wouldn't fit enzo's fingers :-)
Flag
Are you sure about that? I don't recall them saying that specifically.

As for the ring not fitting his fingers, I think that's more of a goof on the writers part (or you can say it's a magic ring)
Flag
After your comments I'm even surer a new witch is approaching! :D
Flag
Alright, I stand corrected then. Though quite frankly, with the insane amounts of continuity errors the plot of this show goes, it wouldn't surprise me if the writers were as clueless as I was.
Flag
Stefan reminds Lexi that daylight rings (necklaces, bracelets, etc.) are non-transferable when she asks to borrow his ring in the episode 162 Candles (1x08), and in the episode American Gothic (4x18) Katherine specifically says her daylight bracelet wouldn't work on Elena (when Elena asks for it, so she'll look more like Katherine when she goes to meet Elijah).

Thank-you trivia section of TVD wikia page.

So yeah that was a major flub-up on the writer's part not respecting the lore they invented.
Flag
But she made it to the Salvatore mansion somehow!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    People's List
    NEW
    ABC
  • 9:00 pm
    20/20: In an Instant Murder in the Maternity Ward
    NEW
    ABC