A The Vampire Diaries Community
Friday 8:00 PM on The CW

The Vampire Diaries S05E04: "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

Ghost is just another word for asshole. SORRY. I know you did not come here to read a political essay, but it's time we got real about this issue. There is virtually nothing worse than a ghost, I know it, you know it, ghosts know it. I'm not trying to slander spectral entities just to get tons of clicks and likes and favs. I am not a troll. And please don't report me to the NAADP, I'm not a phantasm-bigot or any kind of bigot to be honest. But I have the facts on my side: Ghosts not only refuse to politely excuse themselves from this realm, they always interrupt our naps and break our stuff and watch us in the bathroom. Sure, some of these ghosts used to be our loved ones, but guess what, loved ones? You had your chance. Please just let me sleep peacefully in my antique princess bed. Please just let me collect porcelain figurines and crystal trinkets without having to Dust-Bust up their broken shards following every full moon. Please just let me build my condo on the unmarked burial site of your ancestors. Life is for the living and you are HELLA dead. Please float genie-style into a garbage disposal. Tired of you. Full disclosure: Ghosts took my children. Fortunately they did not take my wife. Baboons did that. 

But here's the thing about ghosts. I get why people are always cutting them so much slack. Like I said, they often look A LOT like our former friends and family, just with slightly more ectoplasm. But the bigger thing is that all of us who are currently alive are lonely as h*ck and it's kind of nice to know that someone's always in the room with us, even if it IS a violation of our dang privacy. You know? I think we are mentally healthy enough to admit that it might be nice to have someone kind of watching out for us when we are alone, which is always. Although I've never, not even once, seen evidence of a ghost being helpful, theoretically they could be helpful right? If a ghost can knock all my priceless decorative ostrich eggs off my vanity then they should also be capable of giving me the Heimlich maneuver when I'm choking on a candy cane. Theoretically at least, because again, if a ghost has ever done anything even remotely useful I am not aware of it. One could argue that because my children used to be so awful towards me that I should be grateful to the ghosts for taking them, but you don't know my business, okay. You don't know me. Don't go there girlfriend.

So anyway, this isn't related but did you watch The Vampire Diaries this week? It was a pretty good episode! It was about physical fitness. There was another plotline that involved amnesia, and then a fairly big plotline about Bonnie being a-- OH I guess this episode DOES kind of relate to what I was saying. Yeah, Bonnie came out of the ghost closet and now everyone knows she's a ghost. There was also a funeral that was supposed to be sad I guess, but come on. The day a ghost makes me sad is the day I will walk directly off the side of my yacht and french kiss a tuna. Not gonna happen.

Hey, let's talk about "For Whom the Bell Tolls" now.

Okay, you know I love a good joke about the dumb diaries on this show, so I definitely loved Stefan trying to solve his amnesia by reading his old journals. Could you imagine having to go through all those things and try to make sense of them? I would rather close-read a calculus textbook than even flip through one of these nightmare bundles.

So then right away Stefan started aggressively sassin' Damon in a way that would set the tone for this whole episode. I was going to wait until later to bring this up because I don't want to upset the Stefan stans, but HOLY MOLY was he awful in this episode. Just the worst. I had no idea that amnesia could turn someone into such a dickish douchebag. Scared, cautious, curious, and open-hearted to those who would offer him help, sure. I would buy that. We definitely know Stefan is a decent guy who is generally really thoughtful and patient. But this episode suggested that when all of Stefan's memories are stripped away, his default setting is Major Piece of Sh*t. He seriously hasn't been this awful since his post-Ripper days when his emotion switch was shut off or whatever. Anyway, I really hated Stefan in this episode, is that okay? I don't care.

So yeah, Amnesia Stefan started dickishly suggesting that Damon was a pansy or whatever, and of course Damon was NOT going to stand for that, so he busted out his favorite driving trick.

Typical Salvatore shenanigans. Good thing that was a stolen car and not Damon's usual ride. P.S. Who ARE these monsters? This whole scene was like Grand Theft Auto but with vampires.

Because one of the Salvatore bros had no memories of anything anymore, that meant the traditional First Act Here's-What's-Going-On Phone Convo fell to the ladies of the show.

Caroline was still at college, allegedly going to tons of classes, but not to get educated, no, just merely to get closer to her hot professor and his hot teacher's assistant. Normal lady detective stuff.

I guess they were still trying to investigate The Initiative whatever that professor was up to, but don't worry, that wouldn't come up again until the cliffhanger. But also Caroline was totally into that one dude still, so she invited him on a "study trip" to Mystic Falls. Oh, Caroline. That sounds like a wonderful recipe for getting him murdered.

Meanwhile at Mystic Grill, the fellas were exchanging pained, condescending smiles.

Like no really, look at Stefan's face in this picture. That basically sums up how he was behaving toward everyone all day. And then look at what he pulled when Elena showed up:

He claimed he didn't know her name! Even though they'd hung out the previous night? And we didn't get to see it but didn't she and Damon spend at least a few hours trying to jog his memory or at least teach him the fundamentals of his life and the people surrounding him? But here he was, essentially NEGGING her. That was another thing... Not only was Stefan the worst from an attitude standpoint, he kept grossly hitting on Elena like a frat dude at a mixer. Writers, I understand that he has no memories, but why did he also lose his charisma, sense of decorum, basic empathy, and human decency? Caroline off-handedly mentioned that amnesia patients can become "unstable" but this was some Jekyll & Hyde madness. Anyway, it sucked and it sucked bad.

Forget all that though. Just put Amnesia Stefan out of your mind. Find your serenity. Because then this happened:

Hmm weird that the camera was placed so far away. ENHANCE!

Hmm a still image doesn't seem to be doing the trick. ANIMATE!

CUE HORNY GHOST!

Bonnie arrived to watch Jeremy work out! Which, fair enough.

In the interest of journalism and fairness and information, here's what happened next. First, Jeremy stood up and removed his left earbud.

Then jeremy removed his right earbud.

Then Jeremy sort of listened to whatever Bonnie was talking about, who cares, doesn't matter.

Then Jeremy decided to sit down on a step.

Then he followed through with that decision by actually sitting down on the step.

Then Bonnie sat down next to him.

Then they talked a bit about how Bonnie's death was stressing him out and she needed to just face the facts and own up to her deadness.

But you can't rush the coming out process, so Bonnie was like "Nah."

Then Jeremy's armband cell phone rang.

Then he checked to see who was calling.

Then he answered it. It was Matt!

Later at Matt's house, he was still very upset about going into fugue states and clomping around in mud puddles. He'd even gone so far as to set up security cameras around the house in order to get answers. But mostly he just wanted Bonnie's help because, I guess, these people still believed that she was both still alive and competent at stuff.

But of course Bonnie had JUST told Jeremy that he couldn't out her yet, so he got all flustered when Matt asked about her and he just turned on his heel without explanation.

Poor Jeremy! First his workout routine was interrupted by a dead liar, and now he couldn't even help out his best bro even after that best bro had made a startling brofession about his broblems. 

Meanwhile Stefan was openly threatening everybody with becoming the Ripper again, which was a real cool thing to do considering even a brain-damaged man could see that the Ripper episode was a super dark time for everybody involved. But Stefan was the worst now, so this meant he was going against Damon's wishes and assaulting waitresses in bathrooms.

Ugh, so frustrating. I truly hope that when the day comes that my memory has been erased by an ancient witch I will just kick back and be so mellow. I honestly think I will probably be nicer and more chill all around. Just a gentle man with the brain of a golden retriever puppy. That's my wish for myself with amnesia. But I'll put this in writing right now: If I ever get amnesia from an ancient witch and I suddenly have the personality of beach garbage, as Stefan does here, then somebody please push me into a cement mixer because no way. Awful.

These are my two new favorite characters on The Vampire Diaries. I'm not sure what their names are, but I'm going with Dave. They're both Dave. Basically the Daves were just chillin' in the Mystic Falls graveyard because HOLY MOLY was this a weird day. Okay, we all know that Mystic Falls is by far the weirdest town on TV currently. This was a town that threw a Christmas party in the early Spring and also has a whole holiday devoted to Chinese lanterns, but THIS was easily the weirdest townwide function they've ever had. It was something called Bell Ringing Day or whatever, and it was about honoring the dead because back in the day sometimes people were buried alive. That part did not seem weird, this town has always been populated with the undead or people who were only temporarily dead. The weird part was that the whole town hung out in the cemetery getting smashed and ringing bells for all their dead loved ones. So just CONSTANT RINGING basically. Even Damon got in on the action:

Haha I'd forgotten about the time he murdered Zach for no reason. Wow, this Damon was way different from that Damon.

Meanwhile Elena was still doing her best to remind Stefan about his old life. That provided the crux for this episode mostly being a nostalgia piece for Season 1. If you have been feeling at all nostalgic for 2009, this was the episode for you. Not only did it feature tons of soundtrack music from that time, but we got to hear Elena rehashing everything that had happened to her since then. So when she ran down the list of all the people she'd lost, it was so extensive and all-encompassing it played like comedy. Not that Stefan cared.

But Elena showed an admirable amount of perseverance in this episode. She even dragged him back to the high school and forced him to re-enact their first hallway encounter.

He did not remember that encounter, but in this case it wasn't necessarily his fault. Those were much more Canadian times.

Then Elena and Stefan jumped up onto the rooftop for some reason. I don't know why. So he could get a better view of the bizarre podunk nightmarescape he'd called home for the past 167 years? Well, that didn't ring a bell either.

OH but I DID love Elena's method for getting down from the roof:

A backwards swan dive onto the lawn! I love that at this point these vampires are not even attempting to be discreet about their powers. Nope, just broad daylight superhero antics in front of townsfolk. Just kidding, there are no townsfolk anymore. Just ghosts and cemetery drunks and the Daves.

Meanwhile Caroline had brought her college friend to the Mystic Falls graveyard for some studying. Caroline was very smart about her classwork, but then got super dumb when it came to this guy's motives. OBVIOUSLY he wanted to mouth-attack her.

And you know what? He seems like a good guy, I wasn't mad. But I WAS mad at Tyler, who was now officially a trash-ball for having given Caroline the silent treatment for MONTHS. I'm sorry, but that's emotional terrorism. There is never any excuse to fall into radio silence toward someone you love. That is basically the worst and meanest thing you can do to someone. So yeah, sorry, Tyler doesn't deserve Caroline anymore, I don't care WHAT he was involved with. Caroline had not yet reached this conclusion, however, so her new fella was out of luck at the moment.

Meanwhile Jeremy had reached a boiling point with regard to his Bonnie problem. So he demanded to meet with Damon in private.

This led to the best moment in the whole episode. Because even though Bonnie was yammering in his ear about not telling Damon, he did it anyway, and Damon got SO MAD. 

It seemed like he was so mad at Jeremy, like it was Jeremy's fault she was dead. But then it was clear Damon was just mad at his heart for being broken and he was mad that Elena had to lose another person and mostly he was just mad at himself for not hugging Jeremy often enough because BOOM! Surprise hug attack!

Just a perfect hug. 

They hugged and hugged.

They both just needed it, you know? Difficult times.

A long hug, just to show each other they care.

Just a really good hug.

Meanwhile Elena brought Stefan to the deadliest bridge in the South, but he just sorta teased her about having drowned to death and then tried to go in for the kill.

Which very nearly happened! But then...

But get this, then Stefan got MAD at her, claiming she'd misled him about the fact that she was dating his brother now. 

But, uh, hadn't she slept in Damon's bed the night before? How did Stefan miss that? And just minutes earlier Stefan had been bragging about the fact that he could deduce that he'd dated Elena in the past, but he didn't deduce that she and Damon were currently a couple? They were basically mid-kiss when he first "met" them the night before. Maybe I just straight-up don't understand how amnesia works, but it seems like this show is suggesting that amnesia is nothing more than a device to turn someone very stupid and mean for no reason and with no internal consistency. But whatever! Sara Bareilles was playing and everything was Season 1 angsty all of the sudden. That'll just have to tide you over for now, Stelena shippers. 

Then Matt woke up on the couch and checked his camera footage only to find a clip of himself yammering in a Dracula accent about protecting a sacred dagger lest he start cutting himself up just to torment Matt. 

Haha this plotline is bonkers. I'm way into it.

Then Caroline approached Stefan at a graveyard bonfire (?) and I started getting hopeful that maybe their old friendship (or at least Caroline's winning personality) would help turn Stefan back into a likable person again, but he immediately started whining about his day and then threatened to murder Caroline's study buddy.

Caroline tried to talk him out of it, but Stefan was still the worst, so then this happened:

Again, it made no sense to me why Stefan was behaving this way. I truly hate this turn of events. Sorry, I try not to be too much of a backseat driver on this show, but this whole thing was a truly baffling creative decision. I don't get it & I think I hate it.

Fortunately Caroline chased Stefan away and saved her friend's life with some vampire blood. So, phew! 

This part weirdly ENRAGED me. Stefan burned all of Stefan's diaries! Now, I truly don't give a dang about the actual diaries themselves, but it seemed SO horrible to burn up handwritten manuscripts that sorrrrta didn't even belong to him. This was just like when Amy threw Jo's novel manuscript in the fire in Little Women!!!! Don't let the sun set on your anger, indeed! (I'm not well.)

Then Stefan grabbed his duffel and hit the road. Great, get out of here.

And that's when Damon broke the bad news to Elena.

Elena was not happy to hear this, and to be fair, it was not great news.

Later, which might have been the next day, or maybe a week later, who knows, Elena had a meltdown while trying to pick out an outfit for Bonnie's funeral. Almost nobody gives a good cry like Nina Dobrev and it was impossible not to be moved. But then this was ridiculous:

Haha I love that a ghost who can go anywhere was just standing in the bushes outside the window. What a creep! I mean, I'm sorry you died, girl, but come on. Come inside.

Meanwhile Stefan was camping out in the family mausoleum and Caroline came to tell him that Bonnie was dead, even though he had no idea who that was. But I guess he'd had a SLIGHT change of heart about being an asshole and seemed vaguely sympathetic toward Caroline. He also pretty much declared that he only trusted her anymore because she had been there for him, so he'd be there for her. Or something. I frankly do not careeeee.

Anyway, the gang put on their best funeral attire and met in the woods and had a weird funeral for Bonnie where they put some of her stuff on a tree stump while she watched from the sidelines.

This feathers thing had to do with that time she levitated some feathers, I guess. I was hoping someone would then put a burnt-up muffler on the stump in remembrance of the time she accidentally set a car on fire, but I guess they didn't have time to find one.

Here's why this funeral bugged me and was NOT as sad as it was supposed to be. BONNIE WASN'T GONE. She was just a ghost. Who could easily communicate with them, either through Jeremy or a ouija board or SOMETHING. There was no reason for them to mourn her. If anything it seemed straight-up mean of them to be like "Yeah you're literally here right now but we are forcing you out of our lives via a formal ceremony anyway, bye." And poor Bonnie still thought this forced closure was a good thing, so she made the rounds, speaking directly to each of them via Jeremy. (Which she could theoretically CONTINUE TO DO even after this sham funeral.)

At this point it was clear Bonnie was just living it up. I suppose it's everyone's dream to attend their own funeral, but this is a world in which ghosts are REAL and COMMON and being dead is REVERSIBLE. I simply didn't understand why these kids were spending time on this fake funeral other than they were so eager to have Bonnie out of their lives that this was how they were finally letting her know.

Anyway, it should go without saying that Bonnie got upstaged at her own funeral.

Tyler was back! Ugh, Tyler, you jerk. He better have a REALLY GOOD explanation for putting Caroline through so much angst. I guess it was nice he showed up for the funeral, but still. At this point he no longer deserves her. Sorry. I feel very strongly about this. Never, ever leave someone you love hanging. It's rude and uncouth.

So just to reiterate, here is a menagerie of devastated friends. And then here is Bonnie:

She honestly started patting herself on the back for Jeremy having spilled the beans. And she was clearly really enjoying seeing everybody sob over her. Oh man, there was just so much psychological weirdness going on here it would take me another few thousand words just to get into it. Oh well, hope you had a great time at your sham funeral, Bonnie. But those of us with brains know you are a series regular and aren't going anywhere, thus making this funeral even more of a sham. 

Okay, deep breath. Sorry. Let's forget about Stefan's amnesia and Bonnie's funeral and instead turn our attention to THIS GUY:

This professor dude. HI. We knew he knew about vampires, but I guess we didn't realize that he was in the market to MAKE one as well.

Poor study buddy. He'd died with Caroline's blood in his system, so he'd be waking up VERY thirsty very soon. What was this professor up to? Doesn't matter, I'm riveted. Anything to get me away from Stefan's journey for a while. (Heck, I even missed Silas in this episode, what a feat.) But yeah, bring on the new plotlines! 

Sorry for being so complainy, but jeez. I did not care for certain things in this episode. That being said, it still zipped along and had a lot of fun moments. I liked it overall I guess. But it just goes to show how essential Classic Stefan is to the fabric of this world that his return to assholery made things so intolerable. We've been through this before with him! Also I never thought I'd say this, but please resurrect Bonnie? Her ghost routine is almost too unbearably sad, and not in the way the writers are intending. RESET both these plotlines ASAP.

All the Jeremy scenes were perfect, though.

Whoops, I gotta go byeee

*crashes yacht*

QUESTIONS:

... Will Bonnie stay dead?

... Do you like this version of Stefan?

... Should Damon and Jeremy hug more often?

... Are The Daves up to something?

428 Comments
Comments (454)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
In Angel, after the murder was figured out, Cordelia had a very helpful ghost roommate. I was really upset when she moved out of the apartment because Dennis was awesome. He'd bring her tissues and blankets (did he even make her tea?) when she was depressed, he'd warn her of intruders, attack them, hang out... and you didn't have to see him mopey either cause he was so thankful and more so cause he was a proper ghost and therefore always invisible. He was the awesomest roommate ever.
Flag
I'm shipping the Daves.
Flag
Just got to this episode now (WAY BEHIND IN EVERYTHING!!!). Just wanted to mention that me and my TVD watching buddy had to pause it to laugh at the Daves. Yup, makes sense that these two old dudes are just chillin' in a graveyard on this show of attractive young people. The Daves are like the entire old person population now. They probably know almost 200 people who have died each by this point. Long live the Daves!!
Flag
ok price i havnt read your recap yet but i am really hopin that you have emotions in this one cause im a little bit drunk and totally cried!
Flag
I liked the season 1 nostalgia. We got to see the old un-conflicted pre-triangle Stelena we fell in love with. Not the post-Damon-turns-good strained anxiety inducing triangle. We got to remember the days when Stefan was the good guy. I have to agree that default amnesia Stefan being portrayed as a douche is not very consistent with what everyone asserts about him. The blood lust I get. All the characters had to deal with that when they first turned into vampires. But the doucheyness was very ripper Stefan which does not make sense because before he got his brains fried he was REGULAR Stefan. Had Stefan actually turned into the Ripper after escaping the metal fridge at the bottom of the lake, then him waking up still in Ripper mode after getting his brains fried would somewhat make sense. But he wasn't in Ripper mode. He was fried as regular Stefan and should have woken up as regular Stefan. Did everyone get that? Bonnie's funeral was needed in my opinion They may be able to communicate to her through Jeremy, but that's a crappy relationship to hold on to. They can't hear her, see her, feel her, talk directly to her or anything. For all intensive purposes, she is dead and don't make light of it. Would you try to have a relationship with someone you couldn't hear, see, or feel? Yeah, didn't think so. Next, it's obvious that the only reason Tyler has been gone is because the writers had no storyline for him. I wonder if this episode has marked his official reentry. For a second I was worried they were going to do a Caroline Stephen romance, but Tyler's reentry thankfully squashed that notion. Also, drooling over Jeremy!! The writers made the right decision on keeping him. Also, Matt's plot suddenly became the most interesting for a change. I want to see a lot more of him being the other guy. Matt's actor deserves more credit!! Lastly, your review was HILARIOUS. I laughed the whole time. I needed a good laugh.
More+
Flag
I love this blog forever. Thank you for pointing out everything I was thinking during the show. I love TVD but seriously, at some points I thought I'd lose my shit.

Also, I don't hate Tyler, but OMG I HATE him and Caroline together.

Good job calling out Stefan. He has a serious case of the grumps.
(Why was he upset about Elena dating his brother if he couldn't remember her, nor his feelings for her? He was acting super possessive over someone who he'd only known for 2 days. wtf stefan)
Flag
The writers of this show are fucking ridiculoussssss.....Are you seriously that incapable of writing a normal storyline for Bonnie and Tyler? Like...they do not know what to do with Tyler so they just randomly send him away...same with Bonnie...Get your shit together, writers. I miss season 1 and 2 tbh. All this episode made me think is how the show was sooo much better back then... And to be honest, I am happy Stefan dumped Damon and Elena. Elena just can't staaand that she doesn't get the attention of both of the brothers. When she's with Damon, she wants Stefan, when she's with Stefan, she wants Damon...like get over yourself girl, don't be so horny all the damn time. I missed Katherine in this episode.
Flag
meh, i didnt think the episode was that bad, but I do agree that it;s ridiculous they can't write a normal storyline for Bonnie and Tyler.
Flag
this ep was okay but that was only because it reminded me of season 1...
Flag
Thank you, I find the writing team really stupid since the last season. And the producers are no better. So much convenient writing, so many unrealistic scenes (Elena and Stefan going up at the roof with jump in public view, Stefan being too cool with his amnesia, Damon crashing a car like that and they didn't have a tiny scratch on their clothes, Jesse not fighting back Stefan or the Professor,..). I honestly can't keep counting all these. However, the episode was really touching with the scene saying goodbye to Bonnie and Matt's storyline got a bit interesting. The closing scene with the Professor killing Jesse was cool yet stupid since, once again, Jesse didn't fight back...
Flag
and like...the on/off superhearing thing is bothering me....Both here and on The Originals....the amnesia thing was just an excuse for Stefan to leave Delena behind so we can have DELENA SEASON, OH GOODY (ew)... as for Jesse, well...he's a human, i don't think he could've done much to stop Stefan lol. The goodbye scene for Bonnie was weird...it was supposed to be all sad but how can we be sad if she's like...still there? And she'll be creeping up on them all the time and probably come back to life at some point...? like, her storyline is a damn mess.
Flag
1. Bonnie is so annoying this season and about as helpful as when she alive, stay dead plz...
2. How can anyone like Stefan like this? I don't think having amnesia means you change personality? Like I'm not a doctor or anything but common show... common!
3. Yes please. Shirtless next time?
4. The Dave's are part of the initiative.... surprise end-game villains!
Flag
1. I wish Bonnie stayed dead and was no longer a series regular, but oh well...
2. I mostly don't care about Stefan, but it's nice when he's not really himself because I'm tired of his normal self. Plus, it would be nice to see a relationship between him and Caroline and him not loving Elena for once.
3. YES. More hugs. More Damon and Jeremy scenes please.
4. The Daves are definitely up to something... What would it be?
Flag
Another point about amnesia Stefan's new personality - when they become vampires we've been told over and over again that their emotions and personality traits become heightened. I think it was unusual we didn't see Stefan adapting to his senses (not just jumping in plain sight) and I thought his main personality trait of compassion would have endured his amnesia but instead we get a version of Stefan which imitates Damon
Flag
I don't think he was imitating Damon. He was acting the way Stefan would if he wasn't carrying around that heavy burden of angst and guilt. And unlike broody Stefan who internalizes everything, he actually spoke his mind and expressed his dislike/anger about a given situation. This is Stefan as an extrovert, not the introvert Stefan that we're use to. And we saw him dealing with the hunger which is enough in regards to Stefan as a vampire because that's his main issue. This Stefan, had the urge to feed, but he was actually very restrained. I read an article where the author suggested that maybe the reason Stefan goes so crazy as a ripper, is because he spends so much time bottling up all his anger and guilt. And instead of having releasing it in a massive blow up like normal humans, he goes on a murder binge.
Flag
I agree with tdm260, that makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately all that does is make me dislike Stefan even more. It seems like his compassion and kindness was all an act? Maybe, maybe not. I just wish the people in the show would start treating him properly. Katherine was a dick to them (I still love her) and so they were always mad at her, but when Stefan is a dick, they're like "we need to he lp him guys this isnt right" when maybe that's who he is under the mask he had on before.
Flag
Here's what I'd like to know: was Elena coming on to Stefan (despite being with Damon) something she's doing because she's just that sort of person now, or, is she doing it because she's programmed to try to end up with Stefan as per Ketsia's curse?
Flag
ha-ha like mcarson09 said, Elena's attention whore.
Flag
She didn't like the idea of not being the center of attention.
Flag
I'd also like to know more about Amara's backstory. Is there an original Damon doppelganger whom she was romantically linked with even as she got married to Silas? Is this inherent cheating trait something that's programmed into all Amara's doppelgangers, this desire to be the centre of two brothers' hearts at once...
Flag
Well in the ORIGINAL mythology of the doppelganger, that was actually. Tatia was also caught between brothers, and Klaus said the others were doomed to follow in her footsteps. It's why he told the brothers to leave her alone, because she would destroy their relationship.
Flag
Do you remember what episode that was, by any chance? I feel like I need a refresher.
Flag
I think that is the episode where Klaus' Mom and Kol & Finn come back... I don't remember what its called but I think that's 2nd season.
Flag
I actually like this Stefan. I think this is Stefan without the guilt. Remember Stefan when he told Elena that she never knew what he looked like without being in love with her? I think this is it. I think that he can be a functional vampire... have fun... not rip folk's heads off.. and still get his grub on. And I know that this is wrong but I think that he should flirt with Caroline. SMH.. that IS wrong... Platonic relationships are possible... scratch the Stepholine comment. I like Bonnie.. but to be honest, this part about her being dead is ok.. I'm sure she will return with a vengeance... I'm patient. I can wait. The funeral comments from Price are hilarious, though. They pretty much all can talk to her still. But paying respects is important. Can't wait until the next episode!
Flag
I like this version of Stefan too. The ripper though is the life of the party ;)
Flag
Yes, Steroline should remain BFF's. He was friends with Lexi and they never hooked up and he's already said that Caroline reminds him of Lexi.
Flag
I had forgotten about that part (about stefan saying that) but yes, this is actually a nice change. Part of what makes me dislike Stefan (and damon too for that matter) is that he is always moping after Elena which makes him kinda boring. So to see Stefan completely without connection to Elena could be quite fun.
Flag
Agreed. I really enjoyed him hanging out with Rebekah last season. Not only because we saw him having fun, (that whole Breakfast club, Risky Business stuff was great!), but because of the convo he had with Elena. "You don't know what I'm like without you." Damn straight you self centered brat!
Flag
Give Bonnie her own spinoff call if Afterlife, purgatory, or The Other Side! She can hang with grams and all the witches that hate her for not heeding their warnings. It'll be cancelled after two eps and nobody in mystic falls will mention her again. As for this Episode I didn't care for it much too heavy on the Steph, I need more Katherine like C.W. needs more cowbell. Damon's expressive facial acting was excellent as usual, truly one of the best in the biz lol
Flag
I'm sorry but i really enjoyed this episode. And I am enjoying this new Stefan. It was great to see him and Caroline in the end rekindling their friendship. I am sure Bonnie will come back to life, not sure how they will tackle that. I really enjoyed the Stefan and Elena scenes and it was nice that Elena was trying to help Stefan remember...I wonder how his memory will come back... I can't believe the professor killed Caroline's friend (sorry I forget his name), what are his intentions?
To answer the questions:
1. No Bonnie will not stay dead
2. I enjoy this Stefan, but I love the old Stefan the most
3. Damon and Jeremy should hug more!!! I love them both!
Flag
I've come to the conclusion that Price hates Bonnie's character and has absolutely NO idea what to do with her. The treatment of Bonnie's character each season is sickening. The girl literally can't catch a break. She's the show's only prominent witch and after all she's endured she really just deserves death?? Or a wierd creepy ghost that stalks her friends unknowingly?? What the literal FUCK? The amount of potential that can be put into her character if the writers would just put forth some effort!
Jeremy honestly should have stayed dead and Bonnie wouldn't have to die. He's virtually useless (hell atleast Bonnie's a plot device. I can't even call her a character #gags). Jeremy is an idiot imbecile that does absolutely NOTHING for Bonnie. Instead of him looking out for her, she's always resurrecting his ass! I seriously don't get why she always has a romance that seems to revolve around 'magical interludes' in caves/abandoned churches. Elena and Carolina have developed relationships that pertain to emotions and the everyday intimate moments of normal people. Their demonstration of love reflects normal relationships where they talk about their feelings and have sex. What does bonnie get?! We can summarize it with her constantly reviving jeremy with a veiny face and giberish language and then she passes out and jeremy waking up and then waking her up. They then gaze into each other's eyes....END SCENE. It's embarrassing!
More+
Flag
Don't blame Price, he didn't write the show. And Bonnie's story line IS utterly ridiculous right now so it's not surprising if someone dislikes it.
Flag
You seem pretty angry about it. LOL. j/k. I like Bonnie, too... I also like Jeremy. Don't worry though... She will be back... and hopefully the writers will let her get some.
Flag
the fact that show is crazy unrealistic when it comes to the socialization and development of characters. No where in the real world would ANYONE place the kind of devotion that the characters place on Elena.

she has no personality. Think about it: she's selfless (and yet everyone else is risking their asses to save her), she 'cares' about others (and yet her actions don't demonstrate any sacrifice on her part- with the exception of season 3 finale, but really that was just intended to make her a vamp). She doesn't drive the plot because everything is happening TO her rather than her actually taking action like many of the other characters. Her character is so useless.

Flag
"she 'cares' about others (and yet her actions don't demonstrate any sacrifice on her part..."

Ugh you are so right. I can't even start listing all the people that have died because of her/or protecting her since I don't remember them all - Elena's biological father John, her aunt Jenna, Alaric, Vicki (Stefan staked her because she was going to hurt Elena), Bonnie's grandmother (the spell), Bonnie's mom, Jeremy (he died because Elena couldn't handle being a vampire and they had to find the cure), Kol (she staked him), even Bonnie herself lost her live trying to being back Elena's brother from the dead... I'm probably forgetting someone.

The girl is just poison. She needs to be killed off. My tolerance for Elena has reached the boiling point. ^^^
Flag
THIS! She very rarely does anything, just whines about the Salvatores not letting her make decisions. The few times she does take action on her own, she ALWAYS makes things worse which is why they don't let her make decisions in the first place. I know a lot of stuff has happened to her, but the other characters have lost a lot too, they just don't have as much family as Elena which is actually even sadder, because now they're truly alone (Matt and Tyler) or almost alone (Bonnie and Caroline). Hell, Elena still has family in Utah! Nobody else seems to have family outside of crazy Mystic Falls outside of the Gilberts.

This episode really sealed the deal for me for my dislike of her. If you're so happy with your boyfriend, why would you even attempt this in depth trip down memory lane? Especially when you know your boyfriend is already uncomfortable with your connection and you realize you're enjoying it a little too much. It should never have gotten to the kissing point. And the fact that Bonnie's funeral was still about Elena and how Elena would feel, never mind that they all grew up TOGETHER. Just ugh!
More +
Flag
Agree with both of you, glad I'm not alone in my intense dislike of Elena. She is NOT selfless and is equally useless (unlike, say, Katherine, who is openly selfish but can fend for herself without the help of several ex-boyfriends + friends). And the lovey dovey scenes with Stefan pissed me off so much- I actually gotta disagree with my beloved Price on this- it was actually Elena that was doing a lot of the coy flirty looks despite HAVING DUMPED STEFAN FOR HIS BROTHER and knowing that its a sore point for both brothers. She just had to make it about herself and make Stefan want her again because really, what is life unless everyone's main concern/object of desire is Elena?

Literally if you look at most bad things that have happened on this show, it can be traced back to Elena, or 'saving' Elena or making sure poor Elena isn't sad anymore. I can't for the life of me figure out why Damon is so in love with her- she just has no personality. Her appalling behaviour of yo-yo-ing between the two brothers should really be pointed out more on the show and not in a funny, cutesy way. I was actually really happy when Stefan walked out on them and Elena needn't have been so shocked- you left him for his brother, then proceeded to act giggly and reminisce about your old romance... um?!? Even when she walked up to them in the Grill, she couldn't believe Damon hadn't told Stefan about her, like she literally needs to be the centre of everyone's attention, *always*. UGGH more Caroline please.
More +
Flag
Elena's character reminds me of a story I wrote my freshmen year in a screenwriting class. The assignment was "Write a story about about your protagonist being chased, getting stuck and having to somehow escape the situation." She used a cat and a tree as a metaphor and me being lazy, literally wrote about a cat, who got chased, and stuck in a tree. My teacher told me the cat needed to be more active in it's rescue because aside from whining for attention, the cat didn't actually do anything. It was the child who rescued it from the tree. Elena is that cat! And this means that Elena as the protagonist is bad writing. It's one thing for me to half-ass a BS 5 page assignment in class, it's another thing for the writers on a national network to produce the same BS and say this is your heroine. Nope!

Caroline on the other hand is amazing. She's strong, brave, SUPER resilient and unlike Elena, she uses her brain. Yes, she gets captured, but that's usually because her friends are morons, she trusting and because she's a baby vamp playing in the big leagues. She's a go getter and I appreciate her adaptation to vampirism. Her storylines (the ones not involving Elena) are usually deep, and they really make you think about the word monster. For instance, her dad tortured her because he said she was a monster, yet his actions as a human were far more monstrous then anything she'd done at that time. The convo between her and Stefan regarding their similarities to Klaus, and then her and Klaus's talk about horrible people, it was all great. Caroline's story really makes you look at the spectrum of black, white, and gray. It's too bad Elena's don't cover nearly as much.
More +
Flag
"Even when she walked up to them in the Grill, she couldn't believe Damon hadn't told Stefan about her, like she literally needs to be the centre of everyone's attention, *always*."

You are so right on point ^

She makes everything about her. When Caroline lost her life and became a vampire, and when Bonnie told her she's a witch - "this is so hard on me Stefan"

When Bonnie died - "I have nothing to wear for Bonnie's funeral because I burned my house down"

She's so annoying, and self-centered. <
Flag
She makes everything about her. When Caroline lost her life and became a vampire, and when Bonnie told her she's a witch - "this is so hard on me Stefan"

OMG all of that pissed me off. Not only did they allow Caroline to be used and abused for how long? She insisted they keep everything a secret from Caroline even though she had gaps in her memory and marks on her body. Elena then had the nerve to cry about her sad life, completely ignoring the fact that Caroline was murdered with someone wearing Elena's face. How freakin traumatizing is that?! And then Bonnie, who was the one to ASK Damon to give Caroline her blood, had the nerve to threaten and hate Caroline when the poor girl had no fucking clue what was even going on. I don't care if Caroline killed the carnival guy, she woke up alone after being suffocated and nobody decided to visit her all damn day in the hospital except for Matt, even though she almost died prior to. The MF crew does not deserve Caroline.

And the whole thing with Bonnie's funeral was ridiculous. Jeremy shouldn't have told Damon, he should have told Elena. Why the hell wouldn't that be a brother/sister moment? Bonnie was the girl he loved and Elena's BFF, there is no room for Damon in that equation. And don't get me wrong, I loved the Caroline/Stefan scene, but we didn't need that this episode. Stefan doesn't remember anything anyway, so why didn't we get a scene with Caroline, Elena, Jeremy and Matt all mourning their friend together? We should have seen those phonecalls or the race to each other's house to mourn The triangle should not have even been a factor in this at all.
More +
Flag
Yes Caroline is the one Elena needs to be more like.
Flag
Amen to that. Really wish she was the protagonist.
Flag
Now that Stefan is not Elena's primary love interest, it's like they don't even know what to DO with him. He's quickly wandering towards Bonnie or Jeremy territory.

Other hilarious things about this show that make me giggle:
- Bonnie's constant outfit and hair changes every time we see her in ghost world. Like, there's literally no one to talk to or hang out with so all she does is do her hair and steal clothing from the living?!

- Elena wearing a denim skirt in this episode. I'm not sure she even wore denim skirts in Season 1... I know time lines move slowly, but jeez 2006 it is not.

- Stefan saying FUCK THIS NOISE and moving out of the house where his brother, ex-girlfriend, and ex-girlfriend's brother are all living like a happy little family. I'm sick of Stefan being a boring doormat or an insane Ripper, so this is a nice starting point for a happy medium: Relatively stable but not putting up with anyone's bull.
Flag
Okay what is up with all the hate? Seems like this episode and Price's recaps stirred up a lot of feelings but there is no need to be rude to eachother. The reason I hang out in this part of the TVDfamily is not only because of Price's awesome recaps but also because the maturity-level in the ACP is usually quite high. But now it seems like you are being mean just because you disagree wether amnesia-stefan is cool or not. Come on people, show some respect! :)
Flag
There's always one episode when people start going off and taking it too far. I remember Bonnie fans were hating quite a lot one time and Price had to leave a few comments about respect and attempted to calm them down.
Flag
"He seriously hasn't been this awful since his post-Ripper days when his emotion switch was shut off or whatever."

"But, uh, hadn't she slept in Damon's bed the night before? How did Stefan miss that?"

"If I ever get amnesia from an ancient witch and I suddenly have the personality of beach garbage, as Stefan does here, then somebody please push me into a cement mixer because no way."
Flag
This was a terrible episode. Like right of season 1 stuff... We have seen all! of that romance stuff exactly like this before.... and we had to go through it again, just so Stephan could reevaluate his life? And of course he is not going to leave, because Silas or sth. This was one of the first bad episodes, since forever. At least the Damon-Jeremy scene was nice though.
But Bonny... ugh... Why couldnt she just die back then... like for real. 5 season in and still nobody finds an arc for Bonny that is remotly interesting.
We could have more Katherine instead...
Flag
Jeremy was great, the professor was great and I'm mostly interested in this studybuddy-made-vampire-plotline.

Stefan was a douche but I'm not sure if I totally hated it, mixed feelings, will decide later.

Matt's plotline is vaguely interesting and the draculamatt is sexy for some reason.

Bonnie... *yawn*

Where was Katherine and Qetsiyah?
Flag
Yes of course Matt is the boring one... He the only one who is human and has a job lol.
Flag
"Matt's plotline is vaguely interesting and the draculamatt is sexy for some reason."

I know right?!
Flag
I like how the couples are standing together at the funeral hugging and Matt is like "I got nobody". Poor Matt, give him a love interest please!
Flag
I know! He looked sooooo lonley :(
Flag
Wow, I never thought I'd disagree with Price on something but I really like Amnesia Stefan. I don't get the Stefan hate.
He finally managed to say all the things that were so wrong about the whole love triangle situation. Of course he is taking his anger out somewhat selfishly on other human beings (poor Jesse!), but I still totally get where he's coming from.
Elena really confused me this episode. Wouldn't it have been enough to tell him all that had happened? Did you really have to demonstrate how you put your hand on his face? That girl does not stick to anything. She doesn't stick to one brother, she doesn't stick to her education, she doesn't stick to her word. It's really frustrating.

Anyway...right...the questions.
No, Bonnie will not stay dead. They need a person to fix every shitty thing they do.
I like Amnesia Stefan minus the bloodshed.
Damon should definitely hug Jeremy more often. Jamon FTW! (Great, now I'm hungry for ham)
And the Daves are probably just playing a game of Mystic Falls Clue.
Flag
I hope Stefan pokes more fun at the triangle. I want him to discover Katherine and have his mind blown! "Wait...you mean I dated you? And then Elena I dated you almost 2 centuries later because you looked like her? And Damon did too? And you're just OKAY with this?! This is all kinds of fucked up."

And regarding Elena's behavior, ugh! If she really wanted to jog Stefan's memory, then she would have told him a quick summary about his arrival in Mystic Falls. Their screwed up relationship didn't need to be the center of attention, after all, Stefan's been alive for like 170 years, there's plenty of material to work with. But no, she couldn't stand the idea of Stefan not pining for her so she just HAD to ignite that spark.
Flag
" I really like Amnesia Stefan. I don't get the Stefan hate.
He finally managed to say all the things that were so wrong about the whole love triangle situation. Of course he is taking his anger out somewhat selfishly on other human beings (poor Jesse!), but I still totally get where he's coming from.
Elena really confused me this episode. Wouldn't it have been enough to tell him all that had happened? Did you really have to demonstrate how you put your hand on his face? That girl does not stick to anything. She doesn't stick to one brother, she doesn't stick to her education, she doesn't stick to her word. It's really frustrating."

Completely agree.
Flag
ahahahah oh my god, I am still laughing so hard from your recap. SO TRUE. Price you are always on the same wavelength as me. The part where elena put feathers down cos that was pretty much the only spell Bonnie could do was SO TRUE. I don't know why everyone kept on wanting to get in contact with her, there is never anything she can do, or she'll just screw it up! Learn people! Good episode though, so many plotlines = fun! Poor Jesse, I was really hoping he'd stay human though, it really is like the initiative! (buffy <3) also I'm really hating douche Stefan, man is he lame. Damon is on point though, snaps for Damon. More Jeremy & Damon hugging I say! Also Elena is just such a pretty crier, I wish I looked that good when I cried.

I agree about the whole funeral thing, she's going to come back, obviously. Sham funeral! Bonnie just wanted attention. She's given them all this advice but she can just continue talking to them afterwards...sah lame.

Also more Jeremy workout scenes!
Flag
I could not remember where The Initiative was from... Hahahaha. Thanks for that! And stop being so down on Stefan. He can finally react accordingly without killing everyone. Be happy for him. He can now live his life. RIP Sad, droopy Stefan.
Flag
What irritated me about this episode was that Jenna and Alaric never got a send off as amazing as Bonnie and yet their deaths were permanent.
Flag
Alaric got a scene. They had a candlelight vigil while he was alive and they all said goodbye. This was of course destroyed when he came back and tried to kill them all, but it did happen! Plus, I appreciated Damon's scenes with Alaric so much more. The whole "don't sit there" at the Grill and the moment Damon was drinking in front of Alaric's headstone, only for us to realize Alaric was there listening the whole time. So sad! Those were excellent send off's for a best friend.

And I'm sorry, Bonnie's funeral was sad and all, but I was not a fan. Jeremy should have told his sister, not Damon. And where was Caroline's initial reaction? Was she at home when they told her? Did Elena tell her on the phone? Or was it Matt who told her? Jeremy? And where was Liz in all this? These guys have all been together since kindergarten and it sucks that the MF crew (Elena, Caroline, Jeremy, and Matt) didn't really share this moment together. Bonnie isn't just some friend in town, she was one of their own. I wanted to see people rushing to each other's houses, group hug cries and tearful/drunken reminiscing, not everyone dressed in black like every other funeral and hugging their significant other. This whole thing was too much about Elena and the triangle when it should have been about a group of friends mourning their best friend and a huge chuck of their childhood.
More +
Flag
I agree to a point... I really didn't need to see everyone running and crying over Bonnie... we know that they loved that girl. I was fine with it... I wanted to punch Tyler in the face is all... He disappears every single season. But Alaric's farewell was beautiful. I still get teary eyed. Oooh, side note, if Bonnie comes back crazed and powerful that would be "In my Barney voice" Awesommmmeeeee.
Flag
So true!
Flag
Elena was the only person who was acting inappropriately this episode. The way she was flirting and throwing herself at Stefan was inexcusable! And completely disrespectful towards Damon and even towards Stefan. ITS OVER ELENA! You're with Damon, you said it yourself! So why would she be trying to stir up Stefans emotions? And don't EVEN try and tell me that it's so he "hangs onto his non-Ripper humanity" because it's NOT! It's all for her! I swear she's becoming just like S1-Katherine! She wants both brothers too!
Damon's line: "I think we just got dumped." Yep. That pretty much sums up how messed up this show is with the Salvatores and their never-ending double dipping! For fucks sake, there's 2 of them now! Elena and Katherine! So give one to each brother and end this incest endorsement!
Flag
This is amazing!!!

Elena really can't stand the idea of Stefan roaming around and NOT having feelings for her. She just HAD to fix it, she felt compelled...Too bad brothers and we the audience, are being forced to deal with this crap.
Flag
You are absolutely right. How did she get to THIS? wtf writers? Yes, she WANTS them both! She wants to be in the middle of have her Vampire sandwich and eat it too! Guess what? F*** you Elena! I really hope they don't make it easy for her.
I was so pissed off with her whole arc last season. The whole "I can't be a Vampire. Poor me I'm a Vampire!" act completely infuriated every nerve in my body! Now, I just do yoga I just don't care for her anymore. I mean, it's like she's a completely different person altogether. I just don't understand her as a character and I can't get behind the things she does anymore.
I think BOTH Salvatore's should give her the royal FINGER that she sooooo badly deserves! #yuck
Flag
I know! When she started bitching, during her transition, that she couldn't become a vampire and her and Bonnie was so adamant to fix it, I was like "WTF?! It's impossible, morons! Klaus just told you so, why are you wasting our time?" And I knew then her arc was going to suck so hard. And it did...The whole thing was so selfish. Never mind your friends who've suffered their own pain from turning into vampires. Never mind taking one for the team so that maybe things in town won't be as dangerous now that the doppelganger magnet is dead. None of that matters. Did anyone bother to question if bringing Elena back would resurrect psycho, must murder all vampires, Alaric? Nope, it was just "human human human,*whine* I can't do this." Was she happy that she could at least be with her boyfriend who she loves for eternity? Nope we all know she did NOT want that and that right there is the problem with the triangle.
Flag
I love you. ^
Flag
OMG ROTFLMAO!!!!!! This picture is THE BEST thing on this thread.

Flag
rotflmao!
Flag
I agree with Price somehow they managed to make Stefan even more intolerable than usual. People who need to leave immediately: Bonnie (in all forms), Tyler (for good), Jerk Stefan and Matt's possessor.
Flag
I completely agree with your comments about Stefan, he was basically the worst in this episode. It seems like they're trying to make him snarky like Damon but unfortunately he just comes across as a smarmy douchebag and it makes no sense that he would have a completely different personality without his memories. Elena was definitely leading him on though, by re-enacting their first meeting, touching his face etc etc she should have told him that she's dating Damon before they spent the day hanging out.

Flag
Someone come and find me at the finale and tell me who elena ends up with this time :) cuz I cant keep watching this ridiculous drawn out triangle anymore... bit I'll take shirtless Jeremy any day :)
Flag
I feel like this episode was a way for the writers to bring in new viewers to the show ("Amnesiac Stefan slash new audience, here's everything that happened to us in the last four years LOL") but this is something I would expect out of a season premiere and not episode four. But maybe it's a good thing they are trying to hit a reset button on some relationships when the Silas storyline (and now evil teacher) is so clearly wacky.
Flag
Yes Stefan was the absolute worst thing about this episode. Completely insufferable and just an all around bouquet of dicks. I could barely watch him, but I have to say last season he displayed some of that same behavior so I don't find it surprising. Amnesia or not, it's getting old and unwatchable. I guess I just don't understand the point of it? I find it funny that he didn't react to any thing else the way he reacted to Elena and Damon being together. Seriously? Not to the fact that he murdered thousands of people, or the fact that he has some weird blood addiction that makes him rip people's throats out, oh but his brother dating his ex-girlfriends that's just the worst possible thing AMIRITE?? And Stefan remains gross in the way he constantly reduces Elena to an object that was stolen from him. I keep hoping that Stefan will get some kind of character development in the way of progression, but he's really the same character he was since S1E1. Always the victim, never takes responsibility, still delusional about himself, and remains a emotionally abusive douchebag. I would really love it if Caroline stays clear of this idiot, he doesn't need to bring her down with his baggage.
More+
Flag
If you ignore Damon's involvement for a moment, from Stefan's POV it's like, "Why the hell are you in my face all day being super flirty and telling me how amazing I am if you have a boyfriend? Why did we spend all day going through this crap and making me like you? Why would you almost let me kiss you if you have a boyfriend?" Now add on all that triangle baggage. Why wouldn't he be upset? Elena's sitting there telling him all this, but she's not giving him the full story. All of that could have been summarized, they did not need to do complete walkthroughs. That was ridiculous and it says way more about the happily invested in her relationship Elena, then it does about Stefan.

And while Stefan was with Klaus, Elena and Damon WERE getting close. Alaric warned both of them so Stefan's assessment of stealing was correct. Yeah it was a slow burn, and a lot crap happened that moved things along, but it doesn't change the fact that yes, Damon wheedled his way into Elena's heart and stole her affections, and she let him. Damon said it himself, "I got the girl." The fact that this lost and clueless Stefan isn't willing to trust people who would hurt him like that in his normal state, with his current one, is actually very wise.
More +
Flag
He has no memories... He has no guilt. Damon and Elena are right in front of him. They are REAL for him while nothing else is.. Damon.. his brother of 160+ years stole his GF... and his GF let him. And he was starting to crush on her. He felt they kept that from him. I can get it... and why would you want to read that old crap about killing a bunch of folks if you can forget it and start a new life? Start a new life, find out who the bogus folks are (Damon and Elena --- Yes, I like Damon and Elena but I'm looking from Stefan's POV), eject them from your life and start fresh with new trustworthy friends... Caroline.
Flag
Of course that's the worst possible thing. That's his BROTHER. Stefan's not the only one who's "objectified" Elena, if even stating facts that his brother did INDEED. I do agree with you about his character development but only because he's such a well-rounded character. He doesn't need development, really. He just needs to be explored more.
Flag
Agreed. I was thoroughly enjoying his time with Rebekah because we were seeing what he was really like without Elena. This is the same I suppose, but it's not our Stefan. At the same time though, it is interesting seeing a Stefan without all that brooding, emotional baggage on his shoulders. Extrovert Stefan gets angry, introvert Stefan goes on ripper binges. Connection? Yes.
Flag
Haven't really read through the comments but I guess I'll be in the minority of my like of this Stefan. Old Stefan is super boring and Ripper Stefan is over the top. I think amnesia Stefan is the perfect in-between. He just seems more laid back and cool even if he did a couple of douchy things. Nothing douchier than how Damon usually acts (prior to his slight change of character). I thought Elena was trying too hard to focus on their prior relationship as a couple and I frankly found it super selfish and pretty cold. Here you are turning on the charm big time, get him all riled up and then it's uh yeah sorry bro but I'm with your bro but you were the perfect boyfriend though. How did you think that would go exactly? I'm glad that him and Caroline are going to still be cool but that will only add to the whole you belong with Stefan talk I'm stick of hearing from Caroline so it's bittersweet for me. Yes, I'm Delena all the way so I need to hold on as long as I can before they put boring Stelena back together!
Flag
That's the one thing I hate about Caroline's character and she's my favorite. I would find it more believable if Caroline told Elena she was a selfish bitch for stringing them both along and just choose already. Yeah, she can say Damon was a dick to me, and Stefan's my bestie so clearly I'm biased, but going on and on about the whole "epic love" thing? I hate that the writer's reduced her to that, especially in regards to her own story line. We all know that Klaus is one of the reasons she was so adamant and the fact that their story is now on pause (fingers crossed that it's not over!) makes her speeches even more annoying. I feel like after speaking with Klaus at graduation, she should have went back to Elena and said, "I get it. Go be happy." No details necessary.
Flag
Thanks for the great recap! Always so much fun reading them through and the extra dose of Jeremy was definitely appreciated.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who found Stefan to be unwatchable. Not funny, not hateable in a good way, not anything other than a spoiled, bratty child. Regular Stefan was bad enough but this version is even worse. At least the old Stefan was subtle about his douchebaggery. I'm assuming this was all intentional to show a more real version of that character than the facade he's been wearing all along. Or, it could just be bad writing/storyline.

For the most part, though, I've actually found very little difference between any of the versions of Stefan or Silas. It's just a lot of the same character over and over and over again in every single scened and it's a bore and a waste of screen time. If Paul Wesley isn't capable of making any of the versions distinguishable, maybe he should just stick to one of them.

Or none of them.
Flag
THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS A FREE PASS IS STEFAN. DAMON OWNS HIS ACTIONS, STEFAN DOESN'T. DAMON KNOWS HE CAN BE BAD AND HE GROWS FROM IT. STEFAN DOESN'T. THE REASONS PEOPLE HATE STEFAN IS BECAUSE HE HAS NO CONSEQUENCES FROM HIS ACTIONS, HE STILL ACTS LIKE A VICTIM. HE IS A RIPPER WHO MURDER AND KILLED HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE FOR GOD'S SAKE, STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR STEFAN WHILE BRINGING DAMON INTO THE DISCUSSION. LEAVE DAMON ALONE, HE IS NOT STEFAN, HE IS A DIFFERENT CHARACTER. STOP BASHING DAMON TO MAKE LIKE YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER HE IS A SAINT, BECAUSE HE IS NOT. HE IS JUST WORSE AS KLAUS. AND STOP MAKING THE VAMPIRE DIARIES ABOUT MORALITY. DAMON AND DELENA ARE FRIENDS SINCE SEASON 1, THEY WENT THROUGH A LOT OF STAGES. WHAT ABOUT YOUR SHIP? OH RIGHT, JUST ROMANCE AFTER ONE EPISODE AND SEX AFTER TEN EPISODES. STOP MAKING POST AGAINST DAMON. ENJOY YOUR FUCKING FAVORITE CHARACTERS AND LEAVE HIM OR THE OTHER CHARACTERS ALONE.
Flag
I would respond to this but it doesn't make any sense. I'll give it a try though. Regardless of who your favorite character is (I can see that yours is Damon) they have all been horrible murders (expect Bonnie, Tyler who accidentally killed that girl and maybe Matt but then Finn so????) They all get away with. Nobody actually pays for any of the murders they have done. The only one I see that has any guilt at all for what they have done pass the first 5 min after doing it is Stefan. Stefan has always shown the guilt he feels about what he is and what he does. It is the definition of his character. He has always been portrayed with this heavy burden. Damon as well as the other characters you don't see that guilt like you do with Stefan. Not sure how he gets a free pass or has no consequences, this is the way it is for all the characters. I guess there is a rule in Mystic Falls murder doesn't matter as long as your a hot vampire.
Flag
Don't forget Caroline. She was deeply upset about those witches.
Flag
That's not necessarily true. When Elena got her humanity back even if it was only a second she felt bad for killing that waitress when she punched in that car window. But this is a tv show. If anyone actually paid for the murders they committed there wouldn't be a show.
Flag
Caroline too.
Flag
If anything Stefan is the most stubborn person when it comes to owning up to his responsibilities and guilt. To be honest, it's annoying.
Flag
The main reason, honestly, why I feel like Stefan never takes responsibility for his actions is that he calls his brother trash both to his face and behind is back. That is something he would never do if he was owning his behavior because he would realize he was in absolutely NO position to judge. I know he says that he feels guilt and even admitted to Elena in season 2 that when he is at his worst he is far worse than Damon at his worst. But it is always with the understanding that no one, including his brother, will hold his behavior against him. He will always be viewed by others, Damon especially, as the best of himself. (A courtesy Stefan never gives Damon.) As Caroline said in this episode, "Stefan this isn't you!" To which I say, "Well, yes, it kind of is. At least half of the time anyway." And before you know it, Stefan is right back to behaving smug and self-righteous. If Damon can't use his vampirism to excuse his behavior (and I am not saying he should) than Stefan shouldn't be able to either. Honestly, if some of the other characters on the show would remain angry at Stefan for awhile for his behavior and force him to work to regain their trust and friendship, he would be a far FAR more sympathetic character. I wish they would because there are some things I really like about Stefan. But the double standard is just horrible.
More +
Flag
Tried to comment on the one below but it wouldn't let me so here.

My point is, that even at this point in the show, most of the characters view Stefan as "the good brother" when it is clear neither brother is any better or worse than the other. Damon just said it in the last episode, that Stefan right now is a vampire "who has forgotten that he is the hero of the story."

You realize that half of this "good brother" nonsense comes from Damon, correct? DAMON has low self-esteem. This stems from several things, but he's always calling Stefan the good brother, saying that Stefan is better than him. And it's not because Stefan isn't a monster, he is, it's because Stefan DOES feel bad about his actions while Damon rarely does. For Stefan it's not just, "Oh no I hurt the friend/brother of my love interest I feel guilty because I ruined my chances." It's because Stefan actually feels guilty all the time, no matter who he hurts. The moment his humanity is back on, he's devastated. And it's because of Damon's standpoint that the other characters classify Stefan as such as well.

Also, everybody who calls Stefan the good brother says that based on Damon's behavior towards THEM. They're opinions are biased for personal reasons, this is not news nor are those opinions incorrect. Caroline is biased because of what Damon did to her which he STILL hasn't apologized for. He also tried to kill her several times while Stefan saved her. Her opinion is obvious and practical. Bonnie hates vampires period, but she's hates everything Damon did in the beginning and she often stays away from BOTH brothers when shit goes wrong. Jeremy gets pissed at ALL vampire business, but for a long time hated Damon because of what he did to him. Damon killed Matt's sister and Tyler's uncle, enough said. The Originals don't like Damon and his bullshit mouth. It's not just his actions that Damon is ridiculed for, it's his snarky, trash talking mouth too and while we the audience can appreciate his quips, the cast does not and they're not meant to. He's meant to annoy them, and he does it well.
More +
Flag
I have to disagree. No one on this show has ever including Damon really been held accountable for what they have done. He killed Jeremy and what Elena was mad about it for one episode. No one else said anything about it. Stefan even gave him an excuse saying Damon must have saw the ring. Elena killed Kol in front of Klaus and The Originals did nothing. Klaus killed Tyler's mom, his mom, and these guys still worked with him. Kat killed Jeremy and everybody has been helping her. I'm not sure why Stefan who at least feels guilt because of what he has done should be the only one on the show that has to earn everyone's trust. The only double standard I see is people complain that Stefan isn't held accountable for his actions. Nobody else is either. If it came down to that no one on this show would talk to anybody else because they would have a list saying who did what to who. Not sure what you mean about Stefan calling Damon trash but they both have said things about each other. They are brothers. This is how some siblings act. Look at The Originals they do this as well. Stefan has taken up for Damon several times too and not to mention has given up his entire life to save Damon (which is the most unselfish thing that has happened on this show and is always over looked. Bonnie trading her life for Jeremy is second only because Stefan had to become something he has been fighting not to be, doing things he doesn't want to do and knowing what would happen in his absence with Damon and Elena). Damon said he promised Stefan a life of misery and he has delivered. I have to say killing Lexi and going after your brother's girlfriend gives Stefan every right to be angry at Damon. I always thought he wasn't mad enough at Damon (especially for Lexi) or Elena. These two are all he has really and they betrayed him and they didn't have consequences. Stefan and Bonnie seem to be the two who give the most and suffer the most. I'm glad the writer's acknowledge ,at least Stefan, when they had him say what is the point of being good when you have nothing to show for it because he does seem to keep getting screwed. He drowned for three months and Bonnie was dead for three months and no one thought their absence was cause for concern.
More +
Flag
Obviously because this is a show about vampires the standards for what is considered forgivable is different than in the real world. That wasn't my point. My point is, that even at this point in the show, most of the characters view Stefan as "the good brother" when it is clear neither brother is any better or worse than the other. Damon just said it in the last episode, that Stefan right now is a vampire "who has forgotten that he is the hero of the story." I just don't see why he is a hero more than any other vampire on the show. And if the writers want us to view Stefan as the hero of the show, it doesn't make any sense to me that they have showed so many instances of Damon defending Stefan's inner "goodness" and worth even when Stefan is at his worst. While at the same time showing Stefan telling Damon and others that Damon doesn't deserve things, has no worth, no humanity etc.. I'm not saying he hasn't done loving things for Damon. He definitely has (and vice versa). But he has also made it clear so many times that he doesn't respect him, despite some pretty heroic behavior on Damon's part throughout the seasons. Maybe the writers just don't realize how unappealing it is for a lot of us.
More +
Flag
OMG I LOVE YOU TOO!!!!!

@chrisblue17 we should do a threesome. or foursome. with stefan. you guys are awesome. whyyyy doesn't anybody seeeee what you just said!!?!!? all i could say was "amen amen AMEEEENNNN sister!"
Flag
"Stefan and Bonnie seem to be the two who give the most and suffer the most. I'm glad the writer's acknowledge ,at least Stefan, when they had him say what is the point of being good when you have nothing to show for it because he does seem to keep getting screwed. "
YES! Thank you!!!
Flag
~ STEROLINE DISCUSSION because Price ignored it in his review ~

So where do Caroline and Stefan go from here? Stefan saw the parallel between himself and Caroline when she said she had no one and nothing but sadness and anger left inside of her, and all she wanted to do was to move on from all the people causing her pain.>>>Stefan: "Me. You have me. You were there for me last night; sounds like you were always there for me." *puts his hand over hers* "So let me be there for you. Okay?"

At first I thought they'd be each other's rocks, and that love could sure enough come out of it with time. The great kind of love, that's built on mutual trust, respect, and of course, physical attraction to each other >>> "I've studied pictures. You're much hotter in person."

I'm a shipper of original-recipe-Stefan + original-recipe Elena (aka pre death of all her loved ones + the dark vampire transformation that turned her into the trash she is today). Therefore, the possibility of Stefan and trash-Elena getting back together in the future is very troubling. Right now, I would MUCH prefer Caroline & Stefan exploring their relationship deeper. I'm intrigued. Good job, TVD writers!

Sadly, Tyler is back. What's next for Steroline?
More+
Flag
I agree with your 3rd paragraph except for Steroline. Please no, they make great besties but I can't picture these two a a couple. Tyler definitely doesn't deserve Caroline but that doesn't mean that she should be with Stefan. I LOVE your trash-Elena analogy. Lol
Flag
Tyler and Caroline had a great connection when they first began to fall for each other during his werewolf transformation. I'll always feel nostalgic for those moments when I see them together... but you're absolutely right, he's past deserving any more chances with her.

Haha, thank you. Seriously, Elena's attitude's not the only thing that's changed... Dunno if it's just me but I feel like she's even been dressing far less classy then she used to back in seasons 1&2. I guess it's just especially noticeable to me because I've always admired the way Stefan carries himself in such a humble yet sophisticated manner, it always stood out.

Even amnesia-Stefan has retained his quite brilliance, it sort of popped out at me when he easily used the word "sublimation" in a sentence while having a perfectly casual conversation. Back in the earlier seasons, I always believed he held high regard for Elena because although she may not have the wisdom of a 100 year old vampire, he saw she had deep respect for humanity and upholding virtue, honesty, kindness and consideration for others. This was what made Stefan and Elena good for each other, amongst other things. It was pretty evident that she looked up to him, and that he looked up to her. They were both fuelled by a desire to BE better, and so they made a great pair.

But now? Now it's hard for me not to see that Stefan is, for lack of a better way to put it, sort of out of Elena's league. He's retained the qualities that make him a excellent friend and lover, and she's... fallen from grace. And continues to fall from grace every time she comes onto Stefan while being with Damon, the person she originally fell from grace FOR. I for one would really like to know how TVD plans to make her worthy of Stefan again, if Stelena really is endgame.
More +
Flag
beautiful!!!!!
Flag
Yes, the S2 Caroline & Tyler times were great. Hell to me everything S2 was great!

This is my opinion on the triangle:
Stefan always encouraged Elena to do what she felt was "the right thing to do." He ALWAYS respected her decisions. Even when he didn't agree with them. He had the respect for Elena to let her be her own person. He loved her for WHO she was inside. Yes his actions were awful when he turned off his humanity but he was compelled to turn it off. He was also compelled to do those most of those awful things. (except the old pre-Elena Ripper days)

Damon NEVER respected Elena's decisions and he almost always intervened in her decision making and even called her as a bad decision maker in general. Damon always tried to change or sway Elena to see things "his way" and if she didn't he'd do something resentful to hurt her. Elena only became an "acceptable human being" to Damon once she became a vampire and the only reason she was behaving the way he wanted her to behave is because of the sire bond, which sort of turned her into "The Damon Barbie Doll". She became a completely different person which makes me question just how moral Damon's actions were regarding being with and loving Elena. Sure, he fell in love with her while she was human but he didn't respect 90% of the things that she stood for.
So was he ever in love with Elena's interior? Or just Elena the shell (the replacement Katherine with better settings) or sponge if you will.

I personally hate the fact that the writers chose to make Elena such a miserable and terrible Vampire. I had so many issues with that S4 plot, I can't even tell you. She made a pathetic and whinny spoiled brat Vampire and even "the sire bond plot" wasn't a good enough excuse for me personally, for Elena to turn into a caricature of her former self. This season has done a little to improve her as a Vampire but it's done nothing to improve her as a character. The way she behaved in the last episode was so out of character for the Elena that we knew. She has turned into a very similar morally corrupt character like Katherine was. She was leading Stefan on and practically throwing herself at him and this episode has managed to strip away even more of her qualities and I didn't think that was possible. Why on earth would the writers chose to do this to her character? The Elena that was would've sat down with Stefan and had a long serious conversation about everything. Especially considering the fact that he lost his memories. She would've NEVER been a teenage ditz who takes what happened to Stefan so lightly nor would she ever be so disrespectful toward Damon and toward Stefan to just start stirring up and playing with his emotions. It's SO INAPPROPRIATE and so below the belt and it made her look like a teenage tramp. Just awful. Why TVD writers? Why?

As far as "Amnesia Stefan" is concerned, I disagree with Price. I don't think that Stefan was acting like a jerk or a douchebag or any of the awful things he called Stefan in this review. He was acting like most people would after finding out everything that was dumped on him in this episode: "You are a Vampire who was a monster. You have zero self-control and have killed 100's of people because of it. You had a beautiful & loyal girlfriend BUT WAIT: you're brother kinda stole her via sire bond and she had no objections. But trust us, we care about you." Are you fucking kidding me? If that was the download of awful information I received after loosing my memories I'd lose my mind! And of course Stefan wouldn't want to be around either one of them after that. Why should he? He doesn't remember how he felt about them and all he can deduce is that they can't be trusted. Which they can't!
He was so nice to Caroline because according to what he read about her (and once he spoke to her) he could deduce that she deserves his trust and that she never betrayed him.

I don't think it's a good idea to pair up Stefan with Caroline because they're such good friends and it would be very out of character for both of them. Caroline wants Elena and Stefan to be together. She always has. If she suddenly went there with Stefan it wouldn't win her any points as a character in my opinion.
Stefan never had any romantic feelings towards Caroline and for him to suddenly develop romantic feelings towards her would be again, just out of character. Maybe they'll pair them up during this "amnesia" period but I won't be happy if that's where the story goes.

You're absolutely right about Elena no longer deserving Stefan and I have absolutely no idea how they can redeem her as a character since all they seem to be doing is destroying her character even further.

P.S. Price can go on and on about how he is not a "shipper" but it's always clear in his reviews that he has a soft spot for Damon and I totally understand the "appeal". But it clouds his judgement and his reviews are often completely off mark because of his "Damon lovin'".
More +
Flag
@marzki Sorry, I tend to do that when passionate about a topic. Thanks for reading through the whole thing! @wpv_bb26 Aww...thank you so much! That's a real compliment. I am very humbled <3
Thank you both :-)
Flag
I absolutely agree with all of this! Long post is long, but also so, so true.
Flag
this might have seemed like a long read for anybody else, but i thoroughly enjoyed reading this. your points are so true and valid!!!! Stefan <3 love him so much <3
Flag
Gosh, the love triangle BS will make me stop watching this show!
Flag
No no no , Bonnie cannot come back from the dead! this would be WAY too easy. Also, predictable. Also, boring. I just want her to leave for good - she has been a solution for everybody's problems whenever an easy unexplainable solution was needed because the writers had put themselves in the corner. I hate magic solutions, I want the characters to work things out like real people. Except for being vampires and stuff...
Flag

I also have a comment about Bonnie. I really do like the character, but I'm starting to see that the writing for her(currently as a ghost) is an issue. Sometimes they say that people on the other side talk. She could be a great resource being dead because she could potentially speak to anyone that has passed along that could help them out. And if it's true that ghosts do watch their friends mess up from the other side, why is it that nobody (Bonnie especially because it seems like she's observing her friends and because SHE CAN) tries to do more to help?

It just seems like Bonnie would know more than she does, especially with the Matt situation, but then again I'd probably hang around Jeremy just to see him shirtless so I kind of can understand where she's coming from there. But overall, it seems like a ghost would be more kick-ass. Also, anyone notice the irony in Jeremy's third girlfriend being a ghost? And remember when Bonnie was upset that Jeremy was seeing the spirits of his dead girlfriends? I bet Anna is laughing wherever she is now.
Flag
Should Bonnie have something important to say, she can't bring it up to the interested party anyway. The only one who can see her is Jeremy.

Good thing he was her boyfriend too, just imagine how embarrasing would be for any interested party to discuss his feelings and stuff through Elena's brother (must be bad enough for Jeremy to know Bonnie sees everyhing without being able to stop anyone from embarrasing themselves).
Flag
I love your recaps and I have to ask, do you do them for any other shows? If I don't watch any of them I might just start. And I liked the Jeremy scenes, hopefully the next step is a shower. But enough of oggling let me answer the 4 questions.
1. Will Bonnie stay dead? That's like asking is the sky blue on a cloudless sunny day or will it hurt if you impale yourself in the foot with a pole.

2.Do you like this version of Stefan? I think his reaction was pretty reasonable upon finding out that Elena and his brother were together. He will forgive them when he gets his memory back but minus the drinking of blood I'd feel the exact same way.

3.Should Damon and Jeremy hug more often? I'll answer this with a question, Should Jeremy be shirtless more? The answer to both is yes. I like that he looks after him like a brother, especially since he's killed him 2 out of the however many times that he's died.

4.Are the Daves up to something? Maybe. They look like a couple of Doppelgangers so who knows?
More+
Flag

There's something bugging me, please someone explain this to me: if Bonnie's dead because balance, Quetsiyah being alive implied someone had to die, right? Because, like Jeremy just said, YOU CAN'T JUST BRING SOMEONE BACK TO LIFE. Please help.

I liked the episode, but hated the Stelena reboot scenes... umbearable! But are they trying to pair Stefan and Caroline now? Lexi said something about it too last season..
Damon is so the hero of they story now, he just needs to admit it. Elena was plain nostalgic, Bonnie is tiring. I couldn't care less about Tyler.
Matt's getting an interesting storyline, this show and this season in particular is so about same actor doing multiple characters, I guess it's Matt's turn!

Now, about the questions:

... Will Bonnie stay dead?
Of course not. Everyone needs magic to solve their storylines!

... Do you like this version of Stefan?
Price I love your reviews, but I have to disagree with you, I think Amnesia Stefan was the BEST.STEFAN.EVER. I found him nice, charming, sexy, not depressed, feeling guilty etc. And he was different from dick ripper Stefan.

... Should Damon and Jeremy hug more often?
That was amazing. So much love. Please more hugs.

... Are The Daves up to something?
I think they're the final villains of the show.
More+
Flag
BTW do you think it was weird how Tyler just happened to be wearing black as he turned up at the funeral?

Flag
PS I didn't see this episode—is it worth an hour?
Flag
Great recap, thanks!
This was a good but quite sad episode. My highlights were Jeremy
shirtless doing push-ups. WOW!!! Like Bonnie I´m pretty thankful for that as well :)
And that hug between Damon and Jeremy was touching. If
Jeremy can forgive and move past the fact that Damon snapped his neck so maybe I can too, I´m not sure yet. And Bonnies funeral ,so sad :(
Answers to your questions: 1: No 2: No 3: Yes 4: No
Flag
An Explanation of The Bells:
Once upon a time they used to not know whether or not someone was dead or just in a coma / a Zen master, so they would bury basically anybody, and if you happened to wake up in a coffin six feet under, you were basically screwed. Sometimes they would open coffins and there would be, like, scratch marks n' stuff. Nasty. So anyway, eventually somebody figured it out (finally, how pissed would you be to be buried alive? Totally sucks), so they discovered a solution that DID NOT involve actually funding doctors and coroners so that they could figure out whether or not someone was dead, but actually hooking up bells with a string in the coffin and the bell outside the ground, so that you could ring the bell, and potentially somebody would come and save you. People were brain-damaged, basically. Just like now.
Flag
This is a re-post because I feel like people interested in the triangle need to acknowledge a few things.

Why does everyone always make this about whose more horrible between Stefan and Damon? Elena is just as horrible. She uses both of them, is always asking them to "take care" of each other whenever one of them is misbehaving and disagrees with her stupid ass fail of a plan (causing them to fight more),is always leading them on, and is constantly hurting them (callously dismissing Damon's love when he's already struggling with it). If she really cared about them, she would have taken a serious step back a long time ago and said I can't do this, I'm ruining your relationship. Or at least told them she needs time to figure out what she wants and actually stayed away from them both. Breaking up with Stefan and jumping into Damon's bed the very same night was the worst decision ever, sire bond or not. Damon didn't TELL her to do that and he should have respected her and himself by telling her to wait. At least that way he could have ensured that she was over Stefan and really wanted to be with him.

God they all should have listened to Klaus and left her alone to fall in love with a human. He may have wanted to use her for a bloodbag, but his opinion on the situation was absolutely correct. It's not just one brother or the other whose at fault. The whole triangle is toxic!! Both Salvatores need to have some damn respect for themselves. Stefan flipping out because he longer remembers that the sun supposedly shines out of Elena's ass, is a good thing! At the same time, Elena needs to recognize that they both have done some horrifying, crazy ass things to her. Truthfully, she needs to accept that she is too young for this shit and go back to college to have fun being single with Caroline. They have eternity so why does everything have to be decided right this minute?
More+
Flag
I AGREE!!! omg this show is so unrealistic as far as age and common sense that sometimes I have to stop watching it! Th fact that either brother cant step back and realize that Elena is clearly ruining their relationship drives me nuts. THe fact that Elena knows she is ruining the relationship and wins no matter what brother she chooses drives me nuts. The fact that all of there 18 year olds are running around doing all these crazy things with no one noticing is driving me nuts! THe fact that CAroline has a lame storyline is driving me nuts! knowing that when Stefan remembers everything and all hell breaks loose is driving me nuts.

AND ITS A FREAKING TV SHOW! BAHHH why do i keep watching!!! oh yeah....shirtless jeremy :)

Someone come and find me at the finale and tell me who elena end s up with this time :)
Flag
well, yeah. But you know that's kind of what the show is about. A girl falling in love with two brothers. That's the show's description. I am also a little bit tired with all the back and forth, but I always tell myself that I shouldn't complain because that's what it has been from the beginning and asking it to change I would be asking a different show to watch.
Flag
I know that's what the show is about, but everyone always wants to point out which brother is "the worst" when that title should apply to Elena as well. And I don't watch TVD for the triangle. I was happy when it was finally resolved last season and they should have left it like that because at this point, these characters have evolved. There's nothing wrong with Stefan moving on, just like there's nothing wrong with Elena learning to be happy. Honestly, what's wrong with the show now just being about a group of kids who are dealing with supernatural problems?
Flag
All of them apart from Matt are murderers!! No-one is good!! Everyone is the worst!!!
Flag
LOL.. stop hating. Elena didn't mean to kill. LOL. It was a sire bond accident.. and the guy was a douche.
Flag
And that's what one of the main things the show should be focusing on now, not the triangle that they've already solved, but the gray area our characters now find themselves in. That's why I always love Caroline's story lines and it sucks that she doesn't get enough screen time. Watching her realize that things aren't as black and white as she imagines are so compelling. The conditioning torture with her dad, her and Stefan discussing the lack of differences between them and Klaus, and then the whole "bad people" convos between her and Klaus, all of those were great! Elena's stories focus too much on her love life and that gets boring after a while, but Caroline's storylines are always so psychologically deep.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
In that case, there are degrees of "worst". Caroline is nowhere near as bad as Damon for example.
Flag
I think it would be best if Bonnie stays dead. She has always gotten the short end of the stick on this show, and I'm tired of it. Her only purpose is to help, and though her and Jeremy's relationship has become endearing, I always thought she could have been given better than her best friend's little brother. Bonnie wasn't outed because her friends really missed her or anything, it's because their problems were stacking up, they needed her to solve them, and Jeremy was getting sick of hearing them and getting bugged about where she was.

I'm sure pre-show they had great friendships and actually respected her as a person, but if she didn't tap into that witch thing, she would have just faded into the background. Seriously, every time someone brought her up during the hour, it was saying that they needed her for something, not that they wanted to see her. The funeral was definitely manipulative, enacted out of guilt more than anything because she was dead a whole summer and they were unawar. I was just hoping she'd float away at that point, so her character can live in peace.
Flag
Agreed, although I think these guys suck as friends period. They hardly watch each others' back as much as they should, only Elena's. My friends and I would be in contact MORE in this crazy situation, not less. They're always leaving someone out of "today's" shenanigans which results in that person getting hurt (Bonnie, Caroline, Matt, Jeremy, April). Why the hell were they spending so much time with April and still keeping her in the dark? You think they would have learned their lesson after what happened to Caroline, but noooo. I know the girl's situation was sad, but in order to protect her, they should have done a better job of staying away. They can't close themselves off completely, and the supernatural does need to stay a secret, but at the same time, they need to make a better effort and stop roping innocent people into their bullshit. For example, stop inviting the entire school over to the Salvatores' house. You kill people in that living room!
Flag
i hate bonnie, like i really dislike her personality and lack there of and her just crap witchiness but i balled my fucking eyes out at her sham funeral. But not for her because like Price said she was just there and she is not going anywhere and she will probs be resurrected soon, but Nina Dobrev cryface destroyed me. Everyone being so sad Elana, Caroline, Matt and especially Damon (the characters i actually care about) killed me, just sobbing at my computer and loking up to see my family just staring at me. i broke sad Nina broke me.

p.s. where was Katherine?
Flag
Really missing the charming Caroline/Klaus chemistry.
Flag
I admit that I didn't pay attention to a good portion of last season because I was so over the triangle and Elena's "I can't handle being a vampire" tirade. I was playing games on my phone a lot of the times that Klaroline wasn't onscreen lol.
Flag
Okay, so I take in I'm in the minority thinking that Stefan is faking it?
I have a weird hunch that he is doing it on purpose, so he'll have an excuse to make the moves on Elena (and more importantly force her to remeber their time together)

Dumbest part of the episode would have to be the obvious question:
Tessa used her magic to remove Silas's psychic powers. That was the point of last episode.

So why on earh aren't everyone hunting him down now that they have a fighting chance? Without his powers, he is just an imortal person. Jeremy could almost defeat him single handedly. If all the vamps jump him, they can easily do the original plan (dump him in the river)

Heck, why aren't any of them going after Tessa? Either she could help them against Silas or at the very least even just ask her about Stefan's amnesia?

Also even if they don't want to go on the offensive now, why aren't they even remotely caring about Katherine? They were totally going all over the place just to keep her safe. Now they don't give a damn?

Oh, right, it's a 22 episode season and we needed filler.

/yawn

Yeah, the funeral was just flat out dumb. What exactly was the point? We know Bonnie is going to come back, most likely in an equivalanet exchange thing, she gave herself to save Jeremy so someone else (Silas or Tessa) will die to bring her back.

But you know what was even dumber than that (which I'm surprised Price hasn't jumped all over for) is that even though the point was that Bonnie had died - They *still* made it all about Elena. Seriously... Bonnie died, her father was just murdered and now they cry that Elena loses everything?
Due to Elena and her stupidity, Bonnie lost her grandmother, her father and her mother got vamped.
But somehow they say Elena loses everything even though what Bonnie did actually brought her brother back?

The mind goes WTF?!?!?

Tyler is back and he is obviously going to throw us something about what he did during his absence and it will somehow relate to either Silas, the gypsies or the proffessor thing.

Speaking of which, yep, proffessor is definitily up to make the Initiative from Buffy and is most likely making a vampire to study scientifically.

Matt storyline started off nicely, but the moment they added the dagger I was going huh?!? Seriously... Please, please, please, don't say it's another "magical" dagger that can kill Silas... We had enough of the white oak magically showing up. Don't need more.

All in all? Not as fun as last episode, more boring than dumb. But I guess it goes like that on this show. It's always one or the other.
More+
Flag
I know! Yes, Elena's lost a lot, but the other's haven't been spared. Tyler is an only child who is now an orphan (Mom, Dad, and Uncle) and doesn't seem to have any extended family, Bonnie's basically an orphan (mom is an MIA vampire), she's been hurt several times and everybody only uses her for her magic. Caroline gets kidnapped and brutally tortured like once a week (mostly because her friends don't keep her in the loop), she freakin died because her friends were neglectful assholes and didn't think she should be in on the secret even though she was a vampire's chew toy for how long? And her dad was killed as well. Matt who already had very little, had his only sister murdered by DAMON and he's been alone ever since. God these people really suck!

I think the funeral was handled all wrong. It shouldn't have been a real funeral because she's freakin standing right there and will continue to talk through Jeremy. They should have all sat down, maybe at Matt's new mansion so that they could get away from the Salvatores for a bit, and just reminisced/cried/laughed/mourned Bonnie and their ruined childhood as a unit. Kind of like Caroline's birthday funeral.
More +
Flag
Also hate the fact Stefan has become so rough, but he finally starts complaining about DELENA o.O

Flag
I loved the episode. Paul Wesley was so great in the scene when he cried and wanted to bite Caroline's new guy. Being good didn't get him Elena... that scene was so powerful. Also, Tyler's appearance was a nice surprise too.

The twist by the end of the episode was good too. Who knows that dude may become a great character just like when Caroline was turned into a vampire back then in season 2.

Surprisingly, I still enjoy TVD more than The Originals.

Flag
Ugh, no, I hate Jesse. He is boring and Caroline does not need another love interest!
Flag
I concur. Ignoring the fact that I am a Klaroline fan, the girl has too much on her place right now. She's not over Tyler, she obviously had some feelings for Klaus that she couldn't come to terms with, she has to solve her roommates murder, her best friend is dead, and her other bestie had his memory wiped, the strongest beings in the world are planning to destroy the world, and she's still getting use to college life which is a huge stressful transition in itself without all the crazy Mystic Falls BS. Caroline needs to be by herself. Strong, independent, and single please!
Flag
I really hope so for Jesse, but I'm so afraid he's gonna die :(
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members