A The Vampire Diaries Community
Friday 8:00 PM on The CW

The Vampire Diaries S05E14: "No Exit"

Look, I get it. Some people can only enjoy a show if the particular couple they're rooting for are happy and securely in love. While some of us ENJOY experiencing the angst and heartache of watching good characters go through bad times, some folks straight-up reject that as an option and will turn against a narrative right quick. I usually rail against that kind of binary thinking, because I do like to feel upset and I trust writers to not only guide me into bad times, but out of them again. But increasingly I'm starting to see why people get so wrapped up in their ships like that. It's not so much about fighting for a couple as it is fighting for a fundamental, insisting that there should be some kind of foundation, given, constant to this crazy story. 

This season of The Vampire Diaries has seemed, well, all over the place. I still cannot believe how much time the show wasted on such a truly terrible villain like Silas, nor how underdeveloped the Augustine stuff has been so far. But the biggest mistake this season has made was its attempt to be a throwback to Season 1 while also throwing all the old character dynamics in a blender. Those fundamental romances and friendships everyone's always so worked up about? I think I miss them too. In making all the leads constantly break up and then find love in somebody else's arms, it feels like romantic inbreeding and, well, stagnant storytelling. I truly do not want to end up with a show where a Nina Dobrev character goes back and forth between the two Salvatores. I know that's in the TVD DNA at this point, but it's okay to question the TVD DNA, right? Now the series has the option of either holding strong to what is proving to be a very flawed premise OR it can figure out how to engage its audience without the ever-diminishing returns of yanking the carpet out from under viewers' feet.

What am I saying here? I guess I'm saying that TVD seems to have stripmined all the romantic potential from its three leads (and Caroline) and should probably look elsewhere for sources of emotional angst. Like, don't give me a Stefan-Caroline hookup when I'd rather see each of them fall in love with a new character (or not at all!). I know writers love to double-down on the leads' romances and that everyone's afraid of another Nikki/Paolo situation, but still. I'm feeling restless! But honestly, what do I know? I'm very much an outlier when it comes to this fanbase. I still love the rhythms and comedy and violence and characters of TVD, but I'm increasingly disengaged from what's going on. I want to be scared again. I want to be curious. I want to sit up and cheer for people. Lately I've just been sitting there, accepting one half-hearted storybeat after another. Where is this season going, exactly? Why am I supposed to care? WHERE IS JEREMY?

Haha sorry I'm such a bummer today. To be clear, those were all general complaints about the season, because "No Exit" was actually really fun and funny and a number of things happened that I really enjoyed. For example, Damon bit a man's head off! Let's talk about it.

We began in a secluded countryside home straight out of a slasher film. Broken swing set, blood on the welcome mat, that kind of thing. But this was not a slasher film, it was just a vampire and a supervampire standing in the living room playing The Dozens.

Apparently Enzo and Damon had fallen into a Damon-eats-a-vampire-every-eight-hours routine, which meant they needed to go around creating vampires for that purpose. That honestly seems like a full-time job, but apparently they'd been passing the time by trying to guess the life stories of the poor rubes they were converting. In this case they were openly speculating about whether this unfortunate yokel's wife had left him for the preacher or the pharmacist. Very rude!

Anyway, the dude woke up, drank a vampire Capri Sun and then Damon did his thing.

Haha my favorite thing about Supervampire Damon is that he literally bites heads off. That is just so strange! But I wish TVD would get really gross with it and have him snap the head off right away and then drink from the neck geyser. You know? Something really disgusting out of an early Peter Jackson film. But this was still pretty great, I am not complaining about an accidental beheading and I will never complain about an accidental beheading. Unless it's my own. Just kidding, I wouldn't complain then either. My ghost would just high-five the poltergeist who caused it. "I always wanted to be Final Destination'd!"

Meanwhile at the Salvatore shanty Katherine was pretending to study so that she could grab on Stefan and also impress him with her extensive knowledge of off-the-books Roman history.

Oh, Katherine. As much as I think she's a genius most of the time, it always makes me laugh when she starts doing bozo stuff. Like, come on, how did Stefan not immediately know what was up from this slip-up alone? The biggest red flag was not that "Elena" was disagreeing with a history textbook (classic Rebekah move), it was that she claimed she'd written an essay in high school and that she had attended high school. NO YOU DID NOT. 

At this point Caroline came in and told them that Damon had been biting heads off of dudes, so it was obviously road trip time! (Caroline also threw so much shade at "Elena" that it felt like she already knew it was Katherine? But nope! I guess something about Stefan just puts Caroline in territorial mode.)

Then Katherine returned to college (REMINDER: IT'S TWO HOURS AWAY) and packed up a suitcase of all of Elena's sexiest lingerie with which she could seduce Stefan. In my opinion that would be the worst part of stealing somebody's body: Wearing their underwear. No way. Anyway, then Nadia called and told Katherine that Matt knew about her schemes.

I think the cutest part of this was when Katherine straight-up admitted that she liked Matt because everybody liked Matt. I don't know if I've ever seen her be so sincere like that before and it looked good on her. Of course, she was also arguing for his murder, so that detracts from the moment a bit, but still. Nadia was NOT about to murder Matt, if only because it seemed like she really enjoyed having a hunky blond slave to hang out with.

Meanwhile Damon had tired of playing with a dude's severed head and he and Enzo decided to leave. That's when they heard chanting coming from outside.

It was the Travelers! And they'd trapped them inside the house! And then THIS guy popped by:

Yeah, sorry, but I STILL like Dr. Wes so much, deal with it. Television is a visual medium and I like to look at him, but also he's kind of hilarious to me. In this case he made a speech about science vs. magic and then just straight up endorsed magic. INTO IT. He was there to "experiment" upon Damon somehow, which basically meant he wanted to watch Damon eat Enzo. And you know what? SO DID I. I really wanted to see Damon eat Enzo. On the other hand I liked Enzo WAY more in this episode. Part of that had to do with his t-shirt, but also it became very clear that Enzo is 100% in love with Damon. Yeah, I said it. The guy is hopelessly in love with Damon and that made it seem so tragic and poignant when he decided to stick with him during this cannibal phase. Sorry if you think I'm reading into this plotline too much, but for me it only makes sense if there is some kind of unrequited romance brewing here. JUST BEING REAL.

It's not clear how far Damon and Katherine got out of town before he stopped for gas and their road trip got very ridiculous. I prefer to think they only drove for about 5 or 6 minutes tops.

Not gonna lie, Katherine's scheme made me laugh o'loud.

HAHA she broke his car! She just straight up lifted the hood and yanked at some sh*t. Man, I love Katherine. For being a 500-year-old mastermind she has basically no game and some of her sexy schemes are just so bad. In other words they are the best.

Meanwhile Caroline and Tyler decided to finally face each other following the news that she had boned Klaus in the woods that one time.

They were teaming up because Matt had gone missing. But in order to not get murdered, Matt convinced Nadia that he'd just straight-up lie to his friends until vervain was out of his system and she could compel him again. Which meant that his cover story involved SO MUCH shirtless hugging with Nadia.

Obviously they did not approve of this matchup (Nadia had broken Tyler's neck the night before), but if we're being real a lot of that had to do with the fact that everybody was slut-shaming each other all of the sudden. Caroline especially got it the worst.

I honestly have not seen this many monsters slut-shaming each other since the last time I went home for Christmas.

Meanwhile Katherine made her move and her move was greasy as hell.

This isn't really a criticism since the episode addressed this later, but how dense did Stefan have to be to not immediately recognize this wasn't Elena? The main thing to know about Elena is that she is the least horny vampire in vampire history. So to have her throwing her junk Stefan's way over and over was just insane. I guess Stefan maybe operates under the assumption that all women want him all the time? But yeah, it made me laugh so much that people didn't immediately see this wasn't Katherine. Sure, the eye-makeup is different, but it's the SAME FACE, SAME PERSONALITY, SAME SUSPICIOUS DECISIONS. At least when Klaus inhabited Alaric's body everybody was seeing a legit different person, so that option was unfathomable. But in this case it's absolutely Katherine and nobody's noticing. Anyway, yeah, "Elena" was clearly angling for some lovin' and Stefan seemed straight-up okay with it.

Meanwhile Enzo was getting nervous that Damon hadn't fed in a while.

Sorry guys. I realize this isn't Tumblr but I reaaally think they're in love. Enzo is WAY too devoted to some guy he hadn't seen in half a century and Damon began to despise his ex-girlfriend VERY quickly once Enzo was back in the picture. THIS IS HAPPENING.

Anyway, then "Elena's" phone rang.

HAHAHA. I loved everything about this part. Enzo had to ask "Elena" for help, but Katherine intercepted the call and then pretended it never happened when Stefan asked. So diabolical! And by diabolical I mean sloppy and obvious. Girl, you are sharing a motel room with a vampire who has supersonic hearing. At least do a better job of lying about it.

Then Dr. Wes started firing a gun into the house!

I mean it made me laugh that evidently the whole time Enzo and Damon were hanging out Dr. Wes was just creepin' in the doorway with chanting gypsies behind him. I love Dr. Wes. Anyway, Enzo's seeping bullet wound was now too much for Damon to handle.

Haha, then Dr. Wes used gypsy magic to turn Enzo's blood into acid! It did not taste very good to Damon!

At this point Damon finally convinced Enzo to leave and Enzo seemed VERY okay with it. Passionate love that could heat a fire or not, nobody wants to get their head eaten off.

So THEN Katherine REALLY made her move. It involved, basically, just getting naked in front of a dude. The perfect seduction, in other words.

Stefan definitely took a gander. That's when Katherine ran out of the bathroom and mouth-attacked him!

And guess what? Stefan felt VERY conflicted about it. Not so conflicted that he fought off her advances, necessarily. But conflicted enough to leave the room. Still though, Katherine chalked it up as a major win.

Still though, Elena would have never behaved this way and Stefan must've known that, right? Yes, she's been known to have passionate hookups in motels but only after hours and hours of the world's dullest sexual tension. Elena's main aphrodisiac is repression, so this openly sexual version of her was definitely an imposter.

Meanwhile Matt and Nadia were enjoying a quiet evening of gin rummy when they started bonding over having effed up parentage.

But it was all a ploy for Matt to swipe Nadia's phone and text Caroline for help! Haha I love the idea that Matt was seducing somebody, anybody, as part of a scheme. He is now a bona fide himbo! No complaints. Nadia was super sad, though and she was not about to put up with Caroline's guff.

Nadia had a few centuries on Caroline so their tussle was pretty one-sided. But then Tyler ran up and tackled her!

Tyler had the audacity to claim that "young hybrid > old vampire" because if young hybrids were so powerful, why is he the only one left? And yeah, Nadia threw him across the room pretty easily and bounced.

Meanwhile Matt had been compelled for real to forget everything, but Nadia at least left him with the parting gift of an implanted memory that they had engaged in sexual congress. That was very nice of her! I'm sure that will come in handy for Matt later. "Handy" is a sexual innuendo in this scenario, just FYI.

Meanwhile Katherine's biggest scheme of the episode began to unfold. She realized that she could possibly manipulate Stefan into MURDERING Damon if she could successfully get Damon to attack her. So she pretended to be a motivational speaker to him and get him to fight his urges, knowing he probably couldn't.

But what was charming was how Damon actually DID try to fight it. This was a big change from his very terrible attitude toward her in the previous episode. Was that growth? 

When he finally did succumb to the hunger, Katherine legit kicked a stake over to Stefan to finish the job! 

But obviously Stefan had a Plan B that did not involve murdering his own brother.

Phew! I gotta say, Katherine gets points for ruthlessness here, but it wasn't the most thought-out plan on her part. In a way I think all her flawed thinking in this episode was actually kind of humanizing, you know? Like we know she's good at longterm planning but spur-of-the-moment decisions tend to not work out great for her in my opinion.

Meanwhile Tyler and Caroline SORT OF made up. Sort of.

I guess it's good that they're being civil to each other again. I just want everybody to get along, you know?

Meanwhile Stefan threw Damon into the dungeon.

This was interesting: Damon had immediately figured out that Katherine had tried to murder him a few hours earlier. But what was crazy was that he still believed she was Elena. So in other words, he now believed that Elena had tried to murder him. That's a hell of a thing for Damon to just casually believe, right? Yikes. Even when he comes to realize it wasn't actually Elena, is there any going back from that? He really thinks his ex-girlfriend tried to knock him off! Hardcore.

Oh, then we found out the one tiny way in which hybrids ARE more powerful than vampires:

WHOOPS! Nadia got werewolf-poisoned. The most notable thing here was how genuinely upset Katherine seemed. See, it's always so startling when we get earnest concern out of her. But now that we know only Klaus' blood can heal a bite and he's currently running around in New Orleans trying to murder his siblings and also getting stabbed so much, it'll be interesting to see how they get Nadia out of this, if at all.

Then we finally got to the scene that this episode had been building to the whole time:

Stefan and Caroline figured it out! Matt's text to Caroline had the letter "K" and plus Elena had been acting VERY strange lately. And say what you will about Elena's weird morality, she probably would not have tried to murder Damon. And nobody brought this up, but Elena was IN THE ROOM with Katherine when she "died" and everybody knew Katherine had the ability to jump bodies. So uh, yeah, brainiacs. Your best friend is possessed by a jerk. Now what?

As much as I am loving this plotline of Katherine joyriding in Elena's body, I'm very glad the charade is over. It was frankly making the other characters look too stupid, and I don't personally love to watch a show full of great people acting stupid. 

All in all, "No Exit" was a fun and breezy hour of violence and trash and that is a compliment. Again, the dialogue was noticeably funnier and every character had great moments. It's just that a lot of this season feels so mushy and unmotivated, so even when the credits rolled I wasn't quite sure what the point was. What is everybody trying to do? I mean, I see that they have short-term problems to deal with, but it all feels like a bunch of scrambling to me. This season could really benefit from a bigger mystery or a more cinematic threat. That's just my opinion. I'll be over here lying in a gutter if you want to hear more.

BYE!

QUESTIONS

... Is Nadia gonna die?

... Did Katherine's motel seduction count as a tr-tr-triple kiss?

... Should Enzo make an honest man out of Damon?

... Where was Jeremy?

331 Comments
Comments (331)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
You're right, Price. If the writers had half a brain, they would have made Enzo gay instead of talking about that girl who was too moral to torture vampires that one time. Then it would make sense why he stayed. His sudden loyalty was strange otherwise.
Flag
"Nailed it"

Ha!

"Hurtful"

Ha! Ha!

"I honestly have not seen this many monsters slut-shaming each other since the last time I went home for Christmas."

Genius!

First things first, Matt is a straight up P.I.M.P. Rebecca (twice) and he totally could have had Nadia a second time. Between the two of them, that's 1500 years of vampire. The only other guy with that on his resume is Stephan, and it took him some compulsion and the better part of 150 to land Rebecca. Matt did all this as a human and a minimum wage paying job. Dude's got mad skillz!

I've been #TeamStephanAndCaroline for a while now, so no sense in jumping off that bandwagon. I doesn't need to happen immediately, but it needs to happen. Any two people who have put up with Whiny Elena and Douchey Tyler for this long deserve some naked happiness.

I'm also okay with Katherine body jacking Elena for as long as they'll let it ride cause devious Katherine that doesn't involve straight up murdering folks is HILARIOUS! Devious, horny, schoolgirl crush Katherine is off the charts. The only thing that came close was Rebecca when she'd get all doe eyed. So while it looks like the party is over, I'm sad, because Katherine pretending to be Elena might be my favourite character on this show ever.
More+
Flag
Haha, oh Price, you're shipping, for once. :)
Flag
Anyone notice Katherine had time to do her hair between leaving the motel and finding Damon?
Flag
Price, welcome aboard!
I SHIP DENZO FROM THE VERY BEGINNING! &3
Flag
I actually enjoyed these scenes with Stefan and faux-Elena. Well I always thought he'd be better paired with Katherine but this had its own twist. Stefan has been a much better character too, so chill.

But yeah, I couldn't understand these guys not figuring it out. On top of all this weird behavior, like, what did Bonnie think when Katherine did not go through her when she supposedly died?

Enzo is sad. Poor guy, he is in love with Damon but it isn't healthy. It's an obsession born in captivity and seriously he should just go to Europe and leave all this Augustine crap behind. Try to start a normal life.
Flag
I've been wondering the same thing!! Either Bonnie pulled off another epic failure or we have another massive writer plot hole on our hands. What do you think?
Flag
Well some others have been pondering that she has just been too busy with Jeremy's biceps and this might be the case. Or, well, she did know something about what happened to Katherine. Maybe she is connected to or controlled by higher powers now and the job included being oblivious/acting like it with the whole bodysnatching. Unlikely though, it's probably the biceps or a plothole.
Flag
HAHA well, they ARE pretty distracting...being controlled by a higher power would be interesting though. I wish that was the case.
Flag
Enzo is totally in love with Damon. They need to have sex again, it's been to many decades since they had some dick (I assume).
Flag
"I liked Enzo WAY more in this episode. Part of that had to do with his t-shirt, but also it became very clear that Enzo is 100% in love with Damon."
Haha YES. Enzo and his shirt!
Flag
OK, Caroline said to Stefan that he was a normal and stable dude. Um no, he's murdered thousands of people and is probably the most unstable on the show! No normal at all. A hot girl like that can't pick better???
Anyway, I think Enzo having a crush on Damon may be accurate. After all, they were locked up together for 5 years and feelings like that develop in the slammer.
Flag
ok, the first clue that everybody should have picked up on, is that Katherine never actually passed through Bonnie. Remember how Bonnie is supposed to fel all sorts of atrocious pains when a surpernatural being dies? That was conveniently never showed because otherwise, everybody would have noticed...I'm happy that they are finally realizing what happened...
Flag
Hah, I said the same thing when the question originally came up of how long it would take for them to figure it out.
The writers chose to completely ignore/forget that though; even if they conveniently moved Bonnie out of the picture for the moment being it doesn't negate the fact that she was right downstairs when Katherine "passed away".
Flag
Exactly, just because the writer's like to conveniently forget about Bonnie whenever they feel like it, doesn't mean WE do. Bonnie saw Katherine, and then she disappeared. Bonnie should have went right upstairs like "WTH is going on? How'd you do that?"
Flag
I have no words for this anymore. What is going on???
I do agree about Enzo being smitten with Damon though. I'm pretty sure that was brought up here in the comments when Enzo first appeared. "Denzo" and "Madia" were the only things in this episode that didn't make me roll my eyes so hard I almost gave myself a stroke.
This season needs to tighten up, it feels like it's coasting along and happy to be 99.9% filler. What's the point?
Flag
Villains work because they are...villains. Also known as bad people.

Katherine was awesome because she was ruthless and cunning. By turning her 'human', she lost most of her edge, and by trying to make her a 'good character' she has become as dull as ditchwater (or a tween, take your pick).

Klaus was a kickass villain because he was unabashedly bad. Then the writers try to take his popularity and make him a 'good character'...major fail for character and story. Plus, then you need to scramble around looking for yet new villains, coming up with lame ones like Silas, Tessa etc.

Same with Damon AND Stefan. They each have their bad side, and the writers keep rewriting their personalities to fit the story of the day, which really ruins everything.
Flag
I quite liked this episode although I really hate Dr Maxfield, mainly because he feels like a plot device rather than a character- he's completely flat and boring with no clear motivation. He claims he wants to protect humans but he killed Jesse to turn him into a vampire with absolutely no remorse so I find it hard to believe he cares for human life all that much.
I don't like what they've done to Katherine's character, they've turned her into an idiot who's completely obsessed with getting back together with Stefan when she used to be one of the smartest characters on the show. I will admit however, that her terrible seduction attempts were pretty funny.
I also laughed at her kicking the stake at Stefan- the least subtle thing anyone has ever done ever.
What I did really like was that Stefan stepped into the house with Damon and that he was not going to kill him even if he was feeding on "Elena." I've always loved Stefan and Damon's relationship so I love almost any scene between the two of them, especially those that show despite all their bickering they love each other really.
I've enjoyed seeing Enzo, I like that he makes such an effort to help Damon and he seems interesting and amusing.
Caroline and Stefan figuring things out together is becoming a pattern, they were also the ones to figure out that Elena was sired to Damon last season.
Lots of people are commenting on how stupid they all are for not noticing that Katherine has taken over Elena's body but, to be fair, they didn't notice that Bonnie was dead and Stefan was missing for three months so they're not exactly the most observant group and it has only been a few days.
More+
Flag
They DID notice their absence, but Jeremy was feeding them lies about Bonnie, and Stefan already said he was going on a trip and he was upset about the whole Delena thing. The problem was that it should never have held up for the entire summer. I give you 2-4 weeks tops, especially when you consider that our neurotic girl Caroline was bored and alone all summer. There's no way their disappearance would have lasted 3 months untested. The fact that it did was nonsense. I know the MF gang is the worst group of friends a person can have, but damn the writer's were stretching it.

No matter how upset Stefan was with Delena, there was no proof that he would ignore Caroline. Unlike Tyler, you know Stefan (who prefers CIVILIZATION which has cell reception) would at least shoot her a text message. This means that if Silas didn't swipe Stefan's phone and start answering his messages, then Caroline would have been suspicious after 2-3 weeks.

And as much as we've seen Bonnie use Face Time, there's no way she would go a whole summer without contacting the girls through more than just an email. Even if you don't want to dish out money for an international data plan, you can still get access to the internet. Facebook exists and 3 months is too long, especially when she WAS supposedly contacting Jeremy. Pretty sure Caroline would have swiped Jeremy's phone after a few weeks and told Bonnie off for disappearing on her with no contact.

Elena being Katherine COULD have been believable if we didn't already know that Bonnie, as the anchor, was waiting to see Katherine pass over. That knowledge ruins the extenstion of disbelief, meaning the writers are living up to the inconsistent staple that is Season 5.
More +
Flag
I really need TVD to find something legitimate for Tyler to do. I feel like they came up with a pretty cool story line for him with the hybrid uprising and the shock factor of the hybrid massacre and Mayor Lockwood's murder, but they didn't really think pass that moment. So now he's kinda in story line limbo with Bonnie, Jeremy, and Matt (even Caroline is just there now). That's one issue I have with TVD... They plan these big "shock" moments, but don't think enough in the future of the show for what they're going to do after those characters have those moments. And it's never shown as much as it did with this season.

I'm still a fan, but I'm seriously underwhelmed by were this season has been going and how underutilized most of the characters have been this season.
Flag
I remember Julie saying the main reason they wanted to turn Tyler into a hybrid was it was too hard for her to have any sort of time line and the fact that he turned once a month made her stick to some sort of actual time line on the show. Being turned into a vampire was a big change for other character - Caroline & Elena for example we saw having to deal with coming to terms with turning and so forth but with Tyler there was nothing. He was basically the same as before he was turned - it didn't change him at all and he has never struggled with it at all. Caroline at least did struggle for a few episodes with the adjustment - she killed the carnival worker, her relationship with Matt fell apart and she nearly killed him one time, etc... But we got nothing with Tyler.
Flag
He actually struggled a lot with realising that he was a werewolf - that's the primary reason that he and Caroline became close. Perhaps him turning into a hybrid didn't seem like a huge deal to him because he had already gone through a human-to-supernatural change.
Flag
I wouldn't say we got nothing with Tyler's change... His set of issues were different cuz he was a different species. We got the issue with the sire bond and him losing his free will from his change. I think that was actually interesting when it first came up. It resulted in him hurting Caroline and him being disloyal to his friends because of his forced loyalty to Klaus. It also eventually lead to him leading the hybrid revolution (as short-lived as it was) which was decently interesting and resulted in some memorable series moments.
Flag
But when Klaus became a vampire he had a hard time with it and was affected by his bloodlust (which is why he killed someone - thus triggering his werewolf gene) just like all his siblings. So I think that hybrids have the same issues as vampires - if not worse (since werewolves are naturally more aggressive/angry - that ends up just being heightened even further).

There was one throw-away line Caroline had about how Tyler was acting like the old him (the pre-werewolf him that she would have never been friends with) after he was turned but that disappeared by the next episode. Turning into a vampire should have amplified all those anger issues that Tyler had where he was always getting into fights (Jeremy comes to mind, the time he beat up Matt after making out with his mother, how he couldn't walk away from a fight with the carnival worker Damon compelled, etc...) but it didn't.

When Elena was turned there was a lot of talk about how all vampires are murders (also when Caroline was turned and one of the first things she did was a kill someone). Elena did end up killing Connor, that waitress, and Jesse (not to mention that whole Kol situation). That never came up with Tyler though - and I'm pretty sure Dwayne is the sole murder Tyler has committed (since he failed at killing Hayley).
More +
Flag
I understand that the assumption can be made that hybrids should have similar issues to vampires because they are half-vampire, but nothing has happened with any hybrid (not just Tyler) to support that bloodlust is an issue for them. Even when Klaus had his bloodlust issue he wasn't yet a hybrid.

I just don't think it matters that Tyler never had a murder spree or uncontrollable hunger. He's not a vampire and the show has stated several times how hybrids are different from vampires (even if they haven't been the best at showing it). Tyler had a lot of struggle moments outside of a bloodlust issue, first with being a werewolf and then when he became a hybrid. And they were just as interesting (if not more so, since it's not a rehashing of a situation that's been done to death).

Personally I'm ok with him not going through a bloodlust period. Considering that every other character basically has, Damon and Stefan having multiples. I just want the show to utilize his character or get rid of him. Same thing with Matt, Jeremy, and Bonnie. Either make them part of the story or find a reason for them not to be there at all. It's just really dumb having them pop up randomly in episodes(and disappear without explanation) to basically be plot devices.
More +
Flag
oh thank god; finally someone figured out that katherine is in elena....... i imagine now that nadia is bit, katherine will eventually switch on to her body...... nonetheless glad that part of story is over. it was becoming too tedious
Flag
Wouldn't it be fun if a witch/traveller summed Elena and put her in Stefan's body?

1- Could Nadia jump body too?
3 - Yes.
4 - Shirtless somewhere.
Flag
Gee Matt is still dumb, Damon & Enzo are the only interesting people remaining, Caroline continues to be a vapid empty shell of a person, Tyler still should be pissed off but seems to be calming down. Katherine is even more useless but hey since the writers have the imagination of your average seven year old they keep shoving this useless tramp down our throats for a fifth season. Gee no one missed Bonnie or Jeremy (hint because they're pointless) but we can't bring back Alaric. Oh and did I mention that there are no law enforcement or responsible people to be found? Again I'm watching to see how this ends, but I think I know: IT'S CALLED CANCELLATION. (Yes I know it's been renewed but at some point people are going to get sick of the bait and switch tactics)
Flag
Okay, why was Elena walking like and talking like Katherine...oh yeah because she is Katherine. How clueless are these people not to notice that Elena isn't Elena. Again Tyler was the smartest hybrid in the room....okay he was the only hybrid. But the fact he had the instinct enough to trust his instinct and come back to help with the Nadia situation and give Nadia departing gift was enough to mean he was smarter than the rest. Not to mention, make way for next week's storyline for Nadia. Will she die? Well, in TVD timeline some one has to depart soon, why not Nadia. Bonnie will probably even get a cameo enough for us to see Nadia try to pass through her.
Flag
Tyler showed the precise kind of intuitive sense that both Stefan and Elena failed to display. Had they taken care of Dr. Wes the first time around (when he had Elena trapped in that experiment/medical dungeon), this current situ with the vampire virus and Travellers would not exist.

See an enemy, neutralize him/her. This should be elementary, after five years of battling all kinds of demons. Apparently, only Tyler learnt that lesson.

Strange, because Elena had that sense, when she stabbed Jesse.
Flag
I think TVD realized midway that the Silas plot line wasn't going to hold strong so they dealt with it and ended it quickly.

And now they're making this short arc problems till they work out on how to make the travelers the NEXT BIG BAD...!

Also, J. Plec confirmed that the new character involved in the traveler plot line is yet to be cast (maybe he has been cast), so that storyline is a WIP.

The WIP storyline shows, we just wait & watch and hope TVD comes back strong after a very wayward season so far!

Sigh, always a TVD fan! I can't stop watching this show even though I think now it's more out of loyalty and hope than anything else.
Flag
Is Nadia going to die? What about KATHERINE!?!?! She's the one who has no body to return to.
Flag
I'm glad the fake Elina thing is over, and about Nadia is Kluas? blood the only way to cure a werewolf bite? or can any hybrids blood do? And soon Dr wes's story line will prob be coming to an end he just got cast to be Dr zoom the main villain on the new flash series coming to CW this fall. When you get cast on a new show you know what happens.
Flag
That's what I was thinking.... That Klaus isn't the only one who can cure a werewolf bite, but hybrids period. At least hopefully, just so hybrids don't seem so useless.
Flag
hahaha what a great recap! made me chuckle tons. that hadn't happened in a while! loved this ep :)
Flag
The only thing I can say to the writer is: thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you !!! I was so bored with the Katherine situation !!! Please die alreay !!

Although not thank you for destroy Damon again !
Flag
Did they mention the spell wore out so they could get outta there ? I missed that part, cause there was a spell keeping them in with Damon right ?

... if Nadia dies, the show dies. Nadia and Matt should escape together after killing Elena/Katherine, whichever is convinient
... sorry, dunno and don't wanna know about the kiss.
... Enzo should end Damon's suffering. Or vice versa. Or both at the same time.
... Jeremy is absent because he's ashamed how useless he's with Bonnie the incompetent Anchor. So he's hiding with her somewhere unimportant. Bonnie knows neither katherine nor elena died, none of them touched her to go to other side. If Elena was really dead, she would torment Bonnie so everyone would know it's Katherine now.

The only good thing about this show right now is the friendship of Caroline and Stefan. And Matt making out with Nadia, even it was fake or honest, or a little bit of both. Everything else is old circulated formula.
Flag
I think all boundary spells wear off at some point. We've seen Bonnie trap both Elena & Klaus in the Gilbert House and they both wore off. Silas put a boundary spell on Tessa's cabin (which Tessa, Stefan and later Elena were stuck in) and that wore off as well. Enzo & Damon were talking about how long it was going to last and it seemed pretty clear they were just going to wait and see if Damon tried to kill Enzo and then when he did Wes, Enzo & the Travelers left so it must have worn off.
Flag
Hey! During the episode I kept thinking what a nice couple Damon and Enzo made! Plus, Damon needs a true love and not stupid annoying Elena, and I really like Enzo.
Flag
I think they underplayed Katherine too much. She is a mastermind indeed, and episode after episode we only see her trying to get back with Stefan. She could literally do anything, with her own brains and Elena's fan club. But no, she drools over her "one true love" and acts like a school girl who likes the teacher. Sad.

Also, it would be great for Enzo to really be in love with Damon, especially if he doesn't die too soon.

... Is Nadia gonna die? Unfortunately, I think she will, the last Klaus cameo didn't amount to much.
... Did Katherine's motel seduction count as a tr-tr-triple kiss? I can't believe Stefan couldn't tell his two former lovers' attitudes apart, even if the physical body is the same. And yes, it does.
... Should Enzo make an honest man out of Damon? I'd LOVE to see that.
... Where was Jeremy? Keeping Bonnie (after five seasons, I still have to google her, I keep forgetting her name) occupied and away from us, thank God.

Flag
"Still though, Elena would have never behaved this way and Stefan must've known that, right? Yes, she's been known to have passionate hookups in motels but only after hours and hours of the world's dullest sexual tension. Elena's main aphrodisiac is repression, so this openly sexual version of her was definitely an imposter."
price, sorry to have to do this, but i think you forgot this little instance ;)

Flag
even if you blame the "sirebond", it was still ELENA. +, there was nothing repressed about either of her "first meetings with Damon" ;) XD
Flag
Oh I am so disappointed with the current storylines.

Katherine in the body of Elena. It could've been so much more than Katherine desperately trying to get into Stefan's pants. Are they serious? I hardly believe after so many decades avoiding Stefan she now believes he's her big love interest (I don't care about the dopple gangers thing, it's still forced on us). I found it way more compelling when she wound both Salvatore brothers around her tiny fingers for selfish reasons. Made me respect her more. It's sad the writers reduced her from a centuries old survivor to this silly acting superficial teenager. It's a storyline falling flat for me.

And what is Tyler doing back in town other than the writers desperately needing more characters in TVD since the originals all left or since they killed a bit too many other characters off to keep it going. You féél with every scene of Tyler that they are still frantically searching to give him something to do, other than frowning at Caroline that is. It's sad.

Are they going to do something more with our ex-witch Bonnie other than her apparently perfectly coping with the pain of feeling dead supernaturals passing through?

Also don't get me started on dr. Wes and his mumbling traveling circus, who are just not that interesting to me anymore. I so need a bigger bad, a bigger mystery. Writers, please just turn this around already.
More+
Flag
i'm not sure if they are gonna kill off nadia? is she essential? no, but she is very pretty so i hope she stays. stefan should have just smashed at got it over with, bro she was yo girl first, you should not feel bad at all. enzo did seem a little too attached to damon, he might be in love with him for all we know. jeremy is playing footsies with bonnie. i really don't want elana back, she is just terrible.
Flag
Enzo should totally make an honest man out of Damon I'm starting to ship them so hard shoot forget Elena haha

As much as I've enjoyed Katherine's antics in Elena's body I'm glad they finally figured it out cuz it's time to move on and push this story foward. But seeing what the writers have been doing with the show this season I wouldn't have been surprised if they ran this story till the final episodes.

And also is Dr. Wes the big bad of this season? I don't know how I feel about that.
Flag
No.It's a guy named Markos which is stupid that they wait for the end of the season to bring him in because he was never even brought up in the entire season.At least when we saw Klaus for the first time,he was talked about through the entire season where we were saying "Who is Klaus?" "What does he look like?"
Flag
I'm glad they know Kat is in Elena's body, I imagine they will kill Katherine to bring Elena back, I don't think is going to be a permanent death since the entire Travellers plot it suppose to turn around the Petrovas.

I just wish that if they bring Katherine back we get to see the real Katherine Pierce and not this thing the writers gave us after the 100th episode, it feels like a cheap plot device to make us care for Elena, honestly I haven't miss her since Kat has been as annoying as Elena usually is.
Judging by the promo for the next chapter we may see the real Katherine before Elena is back, a good thing if Kat is going to die in the next episode.
Flag
Okay, questions:

1. Is Nadia gonna die? I sure hope not. As has been mentioned here, maybe Tyler can cure her. Or someone will call Klaus and he'll get from New Orleans to Virginia in 5 minutes and cure Nadia. Or there will be a loophole to Nadia having to die from the bite. Like, it's Tuesday. Or because she's Bulgarian. (She is, right?)

2. Don't know what a tr-tr-triple kiss is.

3. Should Enzo make an honest man out of Damon? Look, those two have a bond for sure but they are not gay. If they were they'd be a really hot gay couple. But they're not. Any romantic history we know of with both of them is with women.

4. Where was Jeremy? Maybe going to classes? Hahahahha, sorry, it's hard to even type that.
Flag
At this point I'm pretty much struggling to make it through the season, just about every episode manages to annoy me. Maybe it'll get better when Katherine gets exorcised.
Good thing there's always The Originals.
Flag
its just this season is the worst. its hard to care sometimes anymore
Flag
I have given up this show (again), but since your recaps are the best, I'll keep reading them anyway.
I just wanna say that I feel the same way than you. My feelings for the character haven't change , but the entire storyline just doesn't interest me.
Flag
So so happy to see Price acknowledge some of the issues with the show. It isn't that the show outright sucks. There just isn't much to look forward to. Nothing seems to have any long term planning. This episode was fun, but still has no larger scheme afoot. Plus, as mentioned, a lot of what is going on is a complete retread of what has happened already. I really hope next week puts the show on a two episode win streak because if it doesn't then my feelings will only continue to be meh towards the show.
Flag
Have you realize/notice there is no marriages or successful relationships coming together anymore into Drama Tv....

How can i take Drama Tv seriously successfully? When they keep on breaking up relationships left and right after next... It appears that's what they always do with all Drama Tv Series being aired...

Do you know story plots can go into big risk of a red flag... When they keep on breaking up relationships left and right after next... Because relationship is as important as the story plot action battlefield...
Flag
It's one of the many reasons I love Castle so much.
It took ages for Castle and Beckett to get together, but they haven't pulled the classic the "next season they break up again!" crap that just about every other show does.
Flag
I have lost every expect, support and trust, even watching the Drama Tv category entertainment... And my viewership with the category is long gone since last year...

But, it appears to be the science fiction/Sci-Fi genre is on better terms with everything... So, I shell remind with science fiction/Sci-Fi genre... When there is that genre playing on airwaves, can be shown over Supernatural/Horror and Heroic/Superhero...
Flag
Okay Now!!!

From Drama Tv Series such as The Vampire Diaries, Pretty Little Liars and Teen Wolf...

It's always increasing and shuffling after first launch classic point of the series... By Breaking up relationships and storylines after 2 or 3 seasons... Not even trying to bounce back the relationships and storylines... And also they're not even trying give the characters hope, destiny, fate facing against challenges up to that task and mission winning love one back...

From Drama Tv Series such as Fringe, Nikita and Falling Skies...

There is no increasing and shuffling after first launch classic point of the series... They do work with their relationships and storylines bouncing things back into order place... By going up against that task, mission and challenges on ups and downs...

- Task: Task means goal of working and learning at school or work place...

- Mission: Mission means quest journey adventure out on a battlefield of action...

- Challenges: Challenges means finding ups & downs between work place, battlefield of action and relationships...
Flag
Well I can solve this right now. Caroline will make a deal with Katherine to get Klaus’ blood to save Nadia if she gives Elena her body back, than there will be this prolonged inner turmoil as Katherine has to decide whether to more or less sacrifice herself for her daughter. Whatever happens Elena will be back soon enough.
Flag
They don't need Klaus' blood to save Nadia, they just need another actress to play her. She's a traveler, remember? She'll just pull a Katherine. Should we place bets on who she possesses? Rando or main character? Hmm. Maybe Caroline. Haha. That would be hilarious, having Katherine and Nadia running around in Elena & Caroline's bodies.

Flag
As others have mentioned, Tyler might be able to cure her as well. And if Klaus won't do it, I'm willing to bet the baby can.

But regardless, a crossover with the Originals is not out of the questions especially in its infancy as it helps the writers make sure viewers stick to both shows.
Flag
Thelma & Louise: Vampire Style.
Flag
As funny as that would be I don't think Klaus would approve and both of them would end up on his shit list again.
Flag
Price, have you REALLY seen the credits? I thought you would write something about Sarah Jones' tragic death.
Flag
"I honestly have not seen this many monsters slut-shaming each other since the last time I went home for Christmas."

+1
Flag
They really ruined Katherine for me in one episode. I love her as a villain you sort of root for but sort of don't. I also love her when it seems she's on the road to redemption. I despise her when she pretends to be somebody else all to get a guy and also when she wants to flat out kill Damon for real? What in the world are the writers doing to these characters? Last episode it was Damon and now Katherine. Not impressed.
Flag
Well, to be honest, Damon tried to kill Katherine first. He let Silas drain her and he had no idea she'd survive that (Jeremy didn't)

But yeah, doing all that for Stefan whom she barely talked to for the past 4 years its stupid. Katherine is all about survival, doing this stupid stunt puts her life in risk since the gang will try to remove her.

It's completely out of character.
Flag
They've either been after eachother or working together for a while now. But if Katherine is going to kill Damon... I would at least expect her to be bad ass about it and not do anything close to what she did in this episode.
Flag
1) No one dies permanently on TVD
2) More like "I don't respect myself enough so I'm pretending to be someone else just so i can be with Stefan"
3) Enzo and Damon are in bromance not a romance there is difference.
4) Somewhere making pushups
Flag
In addition to Azaron's list:
Rose, Kol, Finn, Mikel, Ana, Perl, Lexi, Silas, Amara, Tessa, Aaron, Jessie, Tyler's mom, Tyler's dad, Bonnie's dad, Caroline's dad, grams and that's just off the tip of my tongue.
Flag
I didn't mean it literally, it was sarcasm.
Flag

Vicky, Alaric, Jenna... I think they'd all disagree with that 1). :P

Unless you count the whole Other Side thing as not being dead permanently (since it lets some of them pop up again now and then).
I'm blaming Katherine's current madness on her close encounter with mortality.
Flag
You are totally right Price, Enzo is 100% in love with Damon and now they are my favorite couple of TVD. Would the CW actually go there with their main character? Can you imagine the hotness?
Flag
No this isn't Teen Wolf, unfortunately TVD doesn't bother with anything other than their tired love triangle between the two brothers and Elena, even when it seems like they might add something more, they live to disappoint. They really need to end this show is has been going downhill at supersonic speed since the end of season 3.
Flag
Where's Jeremy? Hopefully with Bonnie laughing their asses off because they duped everyone and went on a super secret mission to find a way to kill these travelers.
Flag
Sorry but this was too funny to pass up!

Price has Damon on his mind! AGAIN!

From his Season 2 Episode 6 recap: October 22, 2010

Flag
Staff
Haha whoops.
Flag
Great analyse, thanks.
Flag
- Should we even care if Nadia dies? And why could Klaus save her, when he has more important matters to deal with...

- I am probably alone, but I felt really uncomfortable during the kiss... I just can't believe that kick-ass-Katherine would want to "win" Stephan by pretending to be Elena.

- Well, Damon needs a buddy (he is the only one who doesn't have one), and if Alaric can't be resurrected then Enzo will do :)

- Jeremy must be at the gym...
Flag
Nadia should've died yesterday.

I feel uncomfortable watching Katherine do anything, at this point. And I feel embarrassed for the people (mainly Stefan) that she is around, because they haven't figured it our already.

Damon is always more fun with a buddy. Thumbs up for Enzo, who has personality of his own to boot.

Jeremy at the gym - bahahahahahaha!!! - that is IT!!
Flag
Of course the kiss was pathetic. The strong Katherine Pierce is pretending to be someone else just so she can be with a guy.
Flag
This show is like a bad addiction. I know it's terrible... but I keep tuning in. TVD and I are like that dysfunctional couple where one party stays in the relationship hoping the other party will change, but it never does...
Flag
that is... exactly the way I feel. That's why I stopped watching 2 episodes ago. Still reading the reviews tho.. they are still funny and summarize an episode quite well. why still watch the real deal :P
Flag
For good or bad, Tyler's character is the only one written with any degree of consistency.

I have never seen Stefan act this stupid. He couldn't figure out that it was Katherine until Caroline showed him the message? Until Damon told him about how 'Elena' wanted him to kill Damon? Did the amnesia permanently remove a part of Stefan's brain?????

BEYOND absurd.

At least, finally, they know. Mr. Dim-Wit and his blonde side-kick, Ms. Dimmer-Wit. Jeez.

And Katherine. Could she have been any more annoying, or stupid, in her behaviour and scheming? Forget figuring out that it was her, I just wanted Stefan to snap her neck because she was so friggin' irritating.

Damon, Enzo, Tyler and Matt were the decent parts in this episode.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members