A The Vampire Diaries Community
Friday 8:00 PM on The CW

The Vampire Diaries S05E21: "Promised Land"

Like a baby raccoon holding a handgun, television can force us to feel multiple conflicting emotions all at the same time. You know? First there's disbelief, then there's actual belief, then there's joy, then there's fear, then it's back to disbelief again, then it's time to lay down on a pile of pine cones and go to sleep. Same with a baby raccoon holding a handgun. But when it comes to TV, we the viewers have a certain savviness about how things operate. Like, here's a hypothetical: Suppose the LEAD CHARACTER of a very popular teen supernatural drama has his heart ripped out by some random kinda-bad guy on the eve of the collapse of the afterlife. As savvy viewers we KNOW intellectually that this will not be the end for that lead character and he will most likely be back to normal within an episode or two, no big deal. But if the show has done its job then we will be so invested in that character that just the SIGHT of that heart-ripping will be A LOT to handle. Like, don't even talk to me about how real that death was or wasn't, it still happened to a very likable hero. He DIED brutally onscreen. See what I'm saying? These two thoughts--that he will be fine but also oh no! He's dead!--are very contrasting emotions that the show has made us feel at the same time. And when a TV show can pull off that kind of internal contradiction, man, that's called ART.

"Promised Land" was one of my favorite episodes of The Vampire Diaries of all time. We should probably talk about it.

First of all, this episode featured MORE THAN ONE middle-aged adult. Was anybody else slightly freaked out by this? Again, no real reason to be freaked out, it's just relative to what we're used to, an ordinary banker in a grey suit seemed as strange and foreign as any supernatural creature. Anyway, in this case I guess he was a supernatural creature, he was the meat suit that a Traveler was toolin' around in, Krang-style. And Damon wanted ANSWERS.

Obviously the guy was not about to spill the beans about what Markos was up to or where Elena and Stefan had been taken. But as we soon learned, it had been FOUR DAYS since they'd disappeared from their wonderful cabin vacation, and that meant Damon was already resorting to desperate measures. Like abducting bankers and stabbing them, stuff like that. Damon is not the best brain-stormer to be honest. 

Anyway, then we cut over to Stefan and Elena in some Hostel-style situation where all their blood was falling into buckets. 

And it was very disgusting! On top of that, Markos kept coming in and forcing Elena to drink more blood so that she could keep making blood. Circle of blood. Hakuna mablooda. 

But Elena was very spunky in this episode. She spat blood right in Markos' face! 

Again, disgusting. How dare you, show. This was a disgusting episode kinda.

But anyway, then Stefan was mysteriously freed by an unseen rebel Traveler and the next thing we knew he was attempting to escape the hostel!

Well, the best he could, anyway. It turns out that not having blood anymore is sort of similar to getting a case of the jellybones. Fortunately there were roughly zero Travelers guarding these insanely valuable prisoners and Stefan was easily able to pull his jellybones up off the ground and rescue his ex.

Next thing we knew they were chillin' in the countryside miles away from home and without a decent cell signal!

Damon seemed relieved that they were okay and he was bragging about how he was going to put on his "hero hair" and start taking care of business. Oh really? Like how well you took care of business for the past FOUR DAYS? I mean, sure, Damon's heart was in the right place, but maybe his hero hair had gotten a little rusty lately. 

Also Elena tried to hunt squirrels with a bent squeegee.

Meanwhile Enzo was NOT making things easy on anybody, as he ran into Damon's house and threw sharp things at him and made Bonnie translate all his ghost whining.

You know, would it have killed Enzo to use his ghost powers to help track down Stefan and Elena? Little help, dude.

But Damon was too busy to be stressing over some ghost, didn't matter how handsome he was. In this case Damon basically just commanded Bonnie to figure things out, which was honestly pretty fair. Not only did she have tons of witch experience (not great experience, but still), she had legit come back from the dead, so she should at least be able to brainstorm this subject A LITTLE. 

Ugh, sorry. "I would walk five hundred miles" etc. That song. That was the reference. I realize I am hella old and I saw Benny & Joon in theaters, so, sorry teens. Sorry for baffling you guys. It was late and I was tired. But in unrelated news, look at that image? Did you ever notice that sometimes TVD is absolutely gorgeous? Look at that shot! Work it, Atlanta.

At first this was a seemingly tossed-off scene but it turned out to be one of the best and most nuanced scenes in TVD history. See, the writer of this episode was Rebecca Sonnenshine and she is the in-house poet on this show. (She also wrote the excruciatingly lovely "Our Town" which is an all-time classic as well.) So yeah, here, in the middle of this insane hour of teen soap serial madness was this graceful scene where Stefan and Elena talked about the nature of being vampires and how they needed to come to grips with the fact that they'll always be defined by savagery, earned or not. And that aspect of their existence more or less excuses Elena from having to make rational decisions of the heart.

Brief scene but very, very lovely. I truly wish TVD had more moments like this. The storytelling pace doesn't often leave time for philosophizing or even very many character moments, but this was refreshingly deep and it's exactly the reason why this show will be remembered as being better than it had to be. Perfect.

SPEAKING OF PERFECT.

These two, these two, these two!! They met for a very depressing breakfast, having seemingly failed in their quest to stop Markos and the Travelers. And it's here we learned more about where Liv and Luke were coming from: They came from a coven of JERKS!

I'm loving that their coven is already very different from the Bennett coven, both in strength of magic but also much more dynamic from a good/evil ratio. Like, Liv is clearly afraid of her ancestors and anybody who would inflict pain on Luke is NOT somebody I'm down with. So yeah, I'm now crazy-intrigued about their backstory. It can't be overstated how much these characters have brought to this season. Sorry if this sounds like exaggeration, but it's worth saying: Much as I remember Season 3 as the season I got to meet Rebekah and Klaus, Season 5 for me is going to be when I got to meet Liv and Luke. I mean, assuming they survive this season. I'm guessing yes, and I'm also hoping they'll be series regulars next year. Probably too early to be wishing out loud about this, but these recaps are basically about getting to talk about things I love and right now I love Liv and Luke maybe the most out of everything? 

Anyway, then Liv had an idea: 

They decided to murder Stefan or Elena in order to de-power their doppelganger blood so that the Travelers couldn't enact their spell. Or something? The logic behind all the magic and/or magic erasure on this show is more complicated than an Avril Lavigne song. I don't get it, but yeah: Liv and Luke were now reluctantly murder-minded. 

UH, THIS SCENE:

I can't. I can't. So perfect. Too perfect? Again, very strange to see characters who aren't twenty-somethings in Mystic Falls. But also they were both unknowns (to us) having a conversation outside of the view of a main character. Relative to what we're used to on this show this was such a different and surprising scene! And on top of that it was HILARIOUS. This woman has a Traveler named CARL living inside of her, and when she casually mentioned that to her husband, his reaction was straight-up amazing. "Uh, you need help." Again, it's these tiny moments that take this show to the next level. Undeniably inspired. More please!

Okay, so then this happened:

Doesn't matter why, really. Okay fine: Elena and Stefan were talking about how much they like Caroline (another small and wonderful moment!) and decided to use her power of positive thinking to conjure a ride so they could hitchhike, and lo and behold, a car drove up. So Elena adjusted her bosom and flagged the person down, which in my opinion was presumptuous because maybe it was a heterosexual lady or a homosexual man driving in which case maybe Stefan should have flaunted HIS bosom also. Anyway, I was kind of right, because look at who it was:

It was Julian's wife! The one who suddenly was super into her husband now that he had Tyler's body. Also she had been the one to free Stefan because I guess she realized that if the Travelers got what they wanted, her husband would turn into a corpse and that would make it way weirder for her to make love to him. So she had switched sides and now she was driving them back to Mystic Falls. Also she sensed something was up.

Haha it makes me laugh that everybody assumes they're together. So awkward but they kinda deserve it.

So then Damon enlisted Jeremy and Matt to go steal all the Travelers' sleeping bodies out of that cave and he immediately started messing with them.

Like he forced this one Traveler lady to play pool against her will. NOBODY should have to play pool against their will without giving consent. No means no.

Meanwhile Caroline went in the dungeon to try and learn more exposition from Julian about what exactly was going on. Because seriously, what on earth was happening? Audience Surrogate Caroline was on the case!

He explained more about how THE SPELL was going to undo all the bad things witches had done, up to and including ongoing spells like daylight rings and vampirism, and he reasoned that Travelers were merely trying to restore a balance that witches had offset through their shenanigans. Or something? Caroline didn't bring up all the flaws in his plan, like, say, the fact that he was probably going to die himself, but she did bring up what a jerk Markos was, and I think that might pay off later, we'll see.

Meanwhile, Markos was getting PUNK'D!

I think the thing that makes me laugh about this the most is that apparently Markos already knows Damon's phone number, so Damon didn't even have to write it down. It never ceases to crack me up how quickly ancient wizards on this show adapt to modern technology. I bet Markos was kicking himself that he didn't wait to resurrect himself until after the iPhone 6 came out.

Anyway, back at the dorms Bonnie was feverishly packing up her Beanie Baby collection and Caroline started wondering what was up with that. Where was she going?

So, whoops! Bonnie admitted she'd been lying to everybody. But again, Caroline was skeptical about why Bonnie wasn't even TRYING to brainstorm a solution. After five seasons of these kids finding their ways out of the most impossible situations, why had Bonnie suddenly stopped trying? Brain fatigue? Personally I think she's just over it. All of it. If this situation wasn't a cry for help, what is?

So then Markos showed up to the Salvatore mansion and immediately started talking about how he wanted to live there after all the vampires died. Damon was not thrilled about the idea of some wizard sleeping in his bed and using his ceiling shower and probably dancing around to Depeche Mode in HIS underwear. That's when he tried to threaten Markos by dousing his sleeping buddies in gasoline and maybe setting them on fire IN HIS OWN HOME.

But what Damon failed to consider was that Markos was a major jerk and did not care about his friends. ADVANTAGE MARKOS. Then he went on to explain more and more exposition about what his plans were, because again, it was so confusing. In this case he said that the spell would ripple outward geographically and eventually swallow the world, thus killing all vampires. In my opinion he should have just centered the spell in the French Quarter and killed off all the vampire bloodlines at the root, but whatever, they have their own issues. Also he specified that this spell would only erase magic that wasn't "pure," meaning, I guess, just the life-preserving spells that the witches had made. I'm not sure if that also included the resurrection rings or even Jeremy's hunter abilities. I'm quite frankly not sure of ANYTHING at this point. But I do know that Markos drank tons of doppelganger blood and now had superhuman strength, so good for him.

Anyway, then Liv broke a CGI car using her brain.

And then she started breaking all of Elena's bones. It was gross!

I think one of the reasons this part was so good was how guilty Liv and Luke felt about this whole thing. And from our perspective, yeah, they were harming our heroes, but their plan also made tons of sense. In killing Elena and/or Stefan they were working to actually SAVE the rest of the vampires. This wasn't villainy, it was just a really inconvenient solution for the doppelgangers.

(I was especially sad when Luke had to hurt Stefan because they are my OTP maybe. (What is a OTP?))

But then WHOOPS! Everybody's magic stopped working!

And it was because the Travelers were DOIN THEIR THANG:

That's right, game over, man. The spell was HAPPENING. Elena and Stefan's daylight rings stopped working so they ran into the caves under Mystic Grill (which, LOL) and then they started re-experiencing how they'd died!

It was actually very scary and sad. I guess I'd forgotten that Stefan had been murdered by Dexter's dad, that was a bummer. 

So then in a surprise twist, Julian realized Markos was a bad guy and he teamed up with Damon to attack him!

But then the spell creeped in and Julian's fangs fell out and also Damon suddenly had a bullet wound in his chest (also from Dexter's dad)!

And he RAN RIGHT OUTTA THERE. Then there was a scene where Jeremy picked him up on the side of the road but it's not that important because Jeremy was fully clothed, and the next thing we knew Damon was at college with the rest of the vampires and he was MAKING OUT WITH ELENA SO MUCH:

This tied back into Elena's convo with Stefan about how sometimes they just need to accept what their hearts tell them to do. And in this case she'd had a very bad day and needed some mouth action. Fair enough! It obviously complicates things, but you know what else complicates things? CERTAIN DEATH. Gotta choose your priorities.

(Also in this scene Caroline mentioned that a random vampire had been found dead on the outskirts of town which meant the spell was spreading their direction, but it was like WHAT? There were OTHER vampires nearby that had managed to stay out of all the vampire drama these past three years? What, were they too old or unsightly to merit friendship or even networking? This show is so weird sometimes.)

So then Julian's dead wife had a pow-wow with Enzo on The Other Side.

He claimed he'd gotten a gang together and all he needed was for her to remember how they'd done the spell to get Markos out of The Other Side. Except, wait, hadn't the other dead Travelers done the same spell? Why was this lady special? Whatever the case, just when it seemed like she was down to help him get them all resurrected, it suddenly got VERY windy.

Better luck next time, Enzo!

Then this scene happened. You know the one. I'll keep it quick so that you don't feel terrible all over again.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stefan died.

Julian murdered Stefan.

Stefan crinkled up and died.

Now, we had seen Stefan's heart be ripped out multiple times before on this show, but never literally! This was a very shocking thing to see, to say the least. And it was also troubling in that happened because Caroline had tried to snap Julian's neck and Julian reacted by growling at her and then murdering Stefan. Just a very messy, very avoidable situation. Also, let's be real, it's the first time in history a hybrid did something important, so hey, silver lining.

Maybe over your scream-sobs you didn't catch it when Julian said, "The spell's stopped," but I'm pretty sure I did. So did that mean that all of the spell was over and done with, or merely that it had stopped spreading? Unclear! But what was very clear was that Stefan, the show's romantic lead, was DEAD.

And the look on Bonnie's face (and even Enzo's face) reflected exactly the right amount of anguish when she saw his spirit:

And then, suddenly, the fate of the entire series was placed on Bonnie's shoulders. Good luck, girl.

Never thought I'd make THAT caption. But here we are. 

Look, none of us are dummies. We know Stefan is not off the show. We know that The Other Side will crumble and one or more dead characters will be resurrected before that happens. That's just TV logic. But still, like I said, that doesn't make the notion of a dead Stefan any easier to bear. At least when Elena died it was mere minutes before she became a vampire. This is somehow more troubling because of the uncertainty of how Stefan might come back. Who even knows! I mean, he WILL be back, but HOW? That is the genius of this plot twist. That we are still desperately looking for answers despite knowing what the eventual outcome will be. 

Guys, this episode was pretty much an instant classic for me. Right up there with the Season 1 finger chopping as far as I'm concerned. I know that's controversial because people are down about this season in general, but I stand by my assessment that this back half of the season has been pretty terrific. I like how suitably epic the Travelers' goals are, and how sympathetic yet terrible Liv and Luke's intentions are, and I even like where the love triangle's at. Restrained yet meaningful. And this death is about as major as it gets. Man, let's do this. Bring on that finale. I feel like it's going to be insane. Do you feel it too? 

OKAY BYE gonna go lie in a dumpster for a while.

QUESTIONS:

... Is Stefan's death an agonizing twist or a false alarm?

... Are Luke and Liv's coven arguably more evil than the Travelers?

... Which dead characters (if any) will become flesh and blood again?

... Have you ever smashed a CGI car?

572 Comments
Comments (572)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
One of my fav eps!! Only ep love Damon in! Loved poor mr banker man
Flag
... Is Stefan's death an agonizing twist or a false alarm? Both. This hurt my heart, but he is the heart of the show. Pun intended.

... Are Luke and Liv's coven arguably more evil than the Travelers? Absolutely not. The Travelers have no problem murdering innocents for their own ends. That is pure evil.

... Which dead characters (if any) will become flesh and blood again? Well, because social media, all of them probably.

... Have you ever smashed a CGI car? It is my only witch power.

Flag
hakuna mablooda!!
Flag
so enzo kills himself really - all in this big threat that stefan will suffer damon's wrath and in no time realizes how worthless it was and is desperately trying to 'come back'. pretty stupid
Flag
.. Is Stefan's death an agonizing twist or a false alarm? I know he's not going anywhere... But ouch.
... Are Luke and Liv's coven arguably more evil than the Travelers? Yes.
... Which dead characters (if any) will become flesh and blood again? Enzo and Stefan? Alaric PLEASE? Possibly (not hopefully) Vicki? Annd and her mom? I loved those two.
... Have you ever smashed a CGI car? Surprisingly yes.
Flag
OMG.. Our dear kind Stefan is dead... Don't leave us alone with Elena and Damon pleaseee we need your kindness and hotness and sexyness :'(
Flag
Can someone tell me what's the name of the song that was playing at the end, when Stefan died?
Flag
"Don't let me go" - Raign
Flag
This was a great episode. There first one to get me invested since like 10 episodes ago. Somewhere it just stopped beeing interesting. Stupid Travellers, please die next episode and never come back.
That said, Elena wanting to see Stephan sprint was hilarious and the Damon/marco thing too. Very funny.... and it even got crazy in the end. When was the last time they suprised us?? Please stay like this and become the tvd I love again!
Flag
and the pool table and damon delegating and Elena shooting... then the drama with the witchkids and the travellercouple, the ultracool fighting possesed-hybrid...
Where was all this stuff the rest of the season? Soo many brilliant ideas and dialogues
Flag
If Stephan and/or Elena dying ends the spell, then the plan seems kind of stupid. The spell would have killed them if they hadn't outrun it... which they nearly didn't manage to do... which would have stopped the spell from spreading.... so... yeah, stupid.
Flag
"Like a baby raccoon holding a handgun"

LOL...BEST! METAPHOR! EVER!

"I would walk five hundred miles" etc. That song. That was the reference. I realize I am hella old and I saw Benny & Joon in theaters, so, sorry teens."

It's beyond wrong that you need to both explain and apologize for that

"Look, none of us are dummies. We know Stefan is not off the show. We know that The Other Side will crumble and one or more dead characters will be resurrected before that happens."

First up for resurection...Stefan. Then there's a LONG list of people I'd love to see come back, starting with Lexi! Firstly, because she's AWESOME! Second, cause I want to see Caroline meet her approval tests and then become besties. After that, Rick? Vickie? I dunno, but if TVD goes crazy, this could be all kinds of fun.
Flag
And here are the fashion from The Vampire Diaries you Vamp lovers...
xoxo

http://www.tvfashionguide.com/tv-shows/fantasy/the-vampire-diaries
Flag

1) Is Stefan's death an agonizing twist or a false alarm? false alarm

2) Are Luke and Liv's coven arguably more evil than the Travelers? no

3) Which dead characters (if any) will become flesh and blood again? hopefully Enzo & Kol

4) Have you ever smashed a CGI car? nope

Flag
Stefan's death was very underwhelming. Even for a temporary fake death. I was bawling my eyes out for when Elena "died." Same when Alaric was supposed to die the first time. When Jeremy "died", at Bonnie's funeral. But when Stefan my favorite character in the series died, I was like meh. Even if it wasn't permanent, it should have been better. He deserved more than Tyler Lockwood ripping his heart out in the middle of the street
Flag
I smell Deus ex machina a la Bonnie around the corner.
Flag
Barely even noticed Stefan die. It's just so normal for people to die and come back to life that it doesn't even seem that serious.

Also, why didn't Stefan offer himself up to die when he and Elena were getting witch crunched. Not very valiant.

Lastly, why didn't Damon torch his house on their way out? All of the Travelers were waking up there. He could've killed all of them in one fell swoop.
Flag
There were only a few good things about this episode and Damon's lines are number one on that list. Second would be the acting (Wesley, Trevino, Graham, and Accola in that last scene, rocked it). Damon and Caroline having scenes together, YAY. Basically just everything Damon? Sorry, it's the only thing that interests me about this show anymore. Even the Delena kiss at the end was sorta lackluster.

The episode felt chopped up and pasted together in the oddest of ways and some scenes I actually found myself scratching my head wondering why they would even include it in the episode. So much wasted time, including the doppelganger sequence at the beginning that was both mostly unnecessary and way too long. And then there's Enzo who makes me snore every time he's on-screen.

Am I the only person who was reminded of Elijah when Markos was giving his long-ish speech to Damon?

I will say the episode wasn't terrible and sparked some interest in me for the finale, but it's not enough to convince me to watch S6. 5x22 better blow my mind or I'm giving up on this show. Which will be very sad but, at the risk of mixing metaphors, it's better to cut your losses and move on than stay in the train about to crash.
More+
Flag
BRING BACK ALARIC, DAMMIT!
Flag
1. False alarm.
2. Hopefully not. It's more meaningful if the Travellers are the pinnacle of evil considering they have a connection to Silas and Qetsiyah which started it all.
3. I'm not sure but I expect a twist so someone I don't expect might come back like Alaric or Lexi, although if Stefan actually is dead permanently I don't see Lexi coming back.
4. No

"Also, let's be real, it's the first time in history a hybrid did something important, so hey, silver lining." Signed here. It's a pity that project was such a failure considering the awesome story line that led up to Klaus and the Originals and this side project of Klaus was just a mess (story wise).

While Stefan's death was a surprise death is too common, even to main characters, on this show that I just don't riled up about it. If he's still dead and there's no other side in the second episode in season 6 then I'll likely react (season pilots and finales have separate rules than the rest of the episodes).
Flag
Hahahaha! Hakuna mablooda - FTW!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
False alarm.
Coven believes the ends justifies the means.
Stefan of course, 60/40 chance for Enzo and Tyler will be back in his body.
No, but I crush beer cans.
Flag
ok..i wasn't surpised that stefan died...i trully don't care and i'm sure he'll be back! one thing i don't get...why the spell stoped when stefan died?the only thing marcos needed was thier blood..and he has it..and the spell started..why stefan and elena need 2 be alive in order for the spell to work?anyone?
Flag
I'm just guessing but the blood is just the light bulb. You still need the electricity to light it up. The doppelgangers blood is the power but the the doppelgangers themselves are the vessel. without them, the power will disappear. It makes sens to me when Liv and Luke tries to kill on of them. I'm going for Bonnie and Enzo's plan although the one thing that could answer their question is zapped out. All in all its a great episode. it's nice to have moments like this. It gives you reason to still watch every episode and answer the question "Why the hell I'm still watching this crap?".
Flag
The thing is Stefan or Elena could have died from travellers magic if they would not have run in time from mystic falls..so it still does not make sense..
Flag
If I remember correctly, the Traveller's didn't know that Stefan and Elena were back in Mystic Falls.
Flag
Everyone comments on tad articles to say how poor the show has become and they aren't wrong. Been watching some of season 1 and the difference is ridiculous. Nothing is forced and although the story takes place at a similar pace, all the relationship stuff they try to push is much slower paced, and you can see the marked difference between 1/2/3 and 4/5. I think it speaks volumes that the best relationship plot in 5 is stefan and caroline, which has taken place at a much slower pace than anything else in the season.
Flag
I know Stefan is going to come back but this really took me by surprise! WOW! And TVD, COULD YOU PLEASE BRING BACK LEXI FOR REAL THIS TIME!? Thank you. Alaric could be awesome too.
Flag
Oh, I forgot one question: Did the show EVER explained the difference between "dirty" witch magic an "pure" traveler magic??
This witches-created-werewolves-and-vampires-stuff can't be the only reason to call witch magic dirty (or whatever), there seems to be a real different.
Flag
That episode has just been cold and dry. Completely inappropiated reactions of the characters as well as unnecessary actions. What the hell is wrong with this show?!
Flag
To be honest... I felt way more upset about my poor Caroline desperately yelling for help over Stefan's body than Stefen's death itself. The moment I saw the ripped out heart I was like "Meh, he's going to come back anyway".

I don't like Liv and Luke. They're pretty annoying to me and I wouldn't mind if they would get killed off the show. OR if they'd get a real storyline, like in the next season. Let's introduce the Parker-family!! BUT I would love to see Liv and Luke being like the puppies of the coven, and the rest would be insanely bad! Like American Horror Story-bad! INSANE AND BAD!! :D
Flag
Liv, Luke, and Enzo are the only characters I am interested in. That might be because they are new enough not to inspire annoyance and boredom yet. Frankly you don't see the other characters besides damon and elena (and stefan and caroline to a less extent) actually do anything interesting. The writers really need to learn how to write an ensemble show. While the focus has always been the 3 main characters, you need the ensemble cast to give the story substance.
Flag
Ehhh... I get why people are upset about the season. But in true TVD fashion, they introduce a Big Bad and then by mid season they either show a new hidden agenda or a bigger bad. So I wasn't too upset with it... It was expected. I think that the plot of love being behind Tessa and Silas' villainy is what is upsetting for most of you all. Like when Amara wanted to die no matter what making everything kinda silly in retrospect. Just like Damon trying to resurrect an un-tombed Katherine for decades.
I hope this will allow them to bring back some loved ones. Maybe Alaric... would be crazy if they brought back Silas instead of Stefan. Idk. All I know is that I was watching at 4am due to me missing it and when it got near the end my whole neighborhood had me as an alarm because I did NOT see that coming. *smh* Oh that crazy Tyler... always doing more harm than good. Look on the bright side... no one knows where the dead are going... Maybe they are in Limbo... AAANNNNDDDD Katherine was snatched, A) Before she even went to the other side. And B) Before Markos escaped and messed everything up.... So where did she go?
More+
Flag
Something started to bug me yesterday: Tessa said she and Silas were travelers, we also know that Tessa is Bonnie's ancestor, so are we to the point where a powerful bloodline of witches came from a traveler? And for a traveler she was pretty witchy.

I actually don't think Liv and Luke add anything to this show, I don't find them compelling, I'm not invested in them or their backstory (what kind of jerk coven sends just two young witches to solve a thousand year long feud with the travelers?)

Finally the hybrid is stronger than a vampire! Yay!

The death scene was amazing, the actors were just so good, Stefan and Bonnie's expressions were heart breaking. I'm so sorry for Bonnie's character, because that actress is amazing IMO
I actually think that a plot twist would be for Stefan to stay dead. I'm bored already if I think of an instant resurrection.

Of course, I want Kol back.
Flag
Who else really dug Enzo's "I will accept it when I get sucked into the darkness, and not a moment prior" speech?
How did he go from emotionless killer to motivational speaker in like two seconds? Doesn't matter cuz it was awesome! He really needs to not be a "bad guy"-he is just waaaay too likable. Same with Luke and Liv.
Flag
1. Death is just a minor inconvenience in this show.

2. Hell yeah. The fuckers can torture one of their own from miles away, but they sent two kids to do the heavy lifting?... Do never send kids to do man's job... unless you're in a Japanese anime...

3. Enzo (sadly) and Tyler are goners, the rest of the crew are insured.

4. I haven't, but I can, I have C4D installed on my PC.
Flag
Surely Stefan dying is just a good plot catalyst - now they have to find a way to bring people back. I can't help thinking all the main characters are going to find themselves on the other side next ep...
Flag
The double mint twins' magic sucks.....did they think ramming the truck into an invisible wall would kill vampires. Plus I'm kind of peeved they killed the only traveler I liked, Maria who is now probably sharing make up tips with Katherine. Stefan's death was like, Katherine's....you hated to see it, but you shrugged because well they'll be back. But it should be noted, Elena nor Damon are ever around when Stefan needs them. When they were outrunning their past from the traveler's spell.....all I could think was, head to New Orleans, The Originals aren't being affected and they have witches who can actual do kick azz magic.

I will admit, I looked away for nanosecond and thought I was watching a commercial when the three middle age people came on. Then the woman pulled out the scissors and I was like oh......this is apart of the show.

Flag
This season of TVD has been downright terrible. The only reason I liked it was because half of it was about Katherine (my favourite character ever since Season 1), but really it is a mess. If someone asked me what the plot of this season is, I wouldn't know what to say. Travellers wouldn't be right as they only took centre stage in the second half the season and Silas/Qetsiyah wouldn't be right either since they died so early on. In fact, the whole Silas storyline was like cow fodder to fill up some episodes.
I'm just annoyed because TVD used to be so good and I don't know what the writers are thinking.
Flag
Yes, I mean goodness. We got the Qetsiyah/Silas plot, the Katherine in Elena's body plot, this Traveler stuff . . . Was the Whitmore plot in this season too? It feels as though the writers improvised the entire way through. Or, like they had all of these ideas in their heads and they decided to just cram all of them in one season. It's such a shame, because we've seen just how good the show can be in the earlier seasons, and now with The Originals.
Flag
I totally agree. Personally I wanted it to be about Tessa and Silas for all the anticipation from season 4.
And if you think about the travelers' setting, it doesn't make any sense. First they were Tessa's coven, than there was Nadia and Katherine passengering into Elena, now Markos, who died 500 hundred years after Tessa. What's the point? Where is the show going with this about the travelers? I don't get it.
Anyway this season had too many story archs, so that I don't feel really invested in anything anymore.
Flag
I couldnt agree with you more. WHAT is going on with season 5?? Its dreadful.
Flag
Death has no value on this show at all.

How are you supposed to care about anything on the show when you know there are no stakes at all?

They need to replace some main characters with fresh new characters and make some dramatic changes in the writing because the show is getting stale. Nothing makes sense anymore.

You cant rely on anything that is said or done on the show because next week theyre saying the opposite. Theres a loophole for EVERYTHING on the show and its getting boring.

Season 1,2,3 and 4 of TVD were good but I think the time has come for it to be cancelled. The Originals is even worse. Ugh.
Flag
Stefan should stay dead. I guess Katherine's ending was the show's way to make the stakes higher?
Flag
Yeah TO is pretty bad imo but I don't want a TVD cancellation just yet! I'm too emotionally invested into the characters, haha. I just hope the writers fix the show.
Flag
if they bring back a bunch of dead people in the final and either cole nor alexis are among them I'm gone be pissed. Hello major plot-opportunity for Originals (they are bringing back Michael) and TVD. And now that the Supernatural Spin-off-crap got axed Cole better gets on board for Originals
Flag
no no no please God not Stefan :'(
Flag
About "I would walk five hundred miles": you might have forgotten/been unaware that this song was featured in several episodes of HIMYM... so I think some of us "young" people got it ;)
Flag
1) Nobody even did a "RIP, Tyler Lockwood"?

2) I was half expecting Caroline to plonk the heart back into Stefan's chest to resurrect him. I think I have been watching too much OUAT...
Flag
I was waiting for that too! :D Or feeding him blood...or doing ANYTHING basically... how she screamed for help was so unnecessary xD Did she really wanna have to explain that?? xD
Flag
Being back Stefan kill Damon
Flag
Question: So will The Other Side stop crumbling now that the Traveller's spell is broken due to Stefan's death? I've forgotten why The Other Side is crumbling in the first place.

Or have they not mentioned a reason for it as yet?
Flag
The travellers overwhelmed the anchor and brought Markos back using doppleganger blood. Silas and Amara's blood is what created the other side so by using it it started to unravel the spell that it created to create the other side... Crumbling.
Flag
I don't know that it really matters what's been said about it up until now because the writers may just change their mind, as they do often, and write something different --BUT the way that Bonnie and Grams have been talking about it, it sounds as if The Other Side was irreparably damaged by what the Travellers did.
Flag
The Other Side is falling apart because the doppelganger blood un-does magic. The Travelers drank Stefan & Elena's blood when they committed their mass-suicide and passed through Bonnie.
Flag
I thought it was either cause Markos escapes or so many travelers went through at once to resurrect Markos
Flag
I never understood why Enzo stuck around and why his death was supposed to be so devastating to Damon. I mean, Damon left him to die in the fire. Yeah his emotions were off but what about after they were back on?? He didnt feel guilty and think to look for Enzo so he couldnt have cared about Enzo that much.

Obviously Stefan will be back so his death is NBD. As long as Damon is fine I couldnt care less. Delena forever!

LOL that rando scene with the middle-aged people was so random it made me laugh. I thought Id switched channels.
Flag
I'm not sure that me and the Reviewer have actually seen the same episode.

"storytelling pace doesn't often leave time for philosophizing or even very many character moments". It's a joke?, I mean, it's ironical, isn't it?.

Anyway, Stefan's death scene was awful! I didn't even cry, I was completely apathetic (and I like Stefan). I know that he is coming back for sure, but if they had made a good scene I would have cried no matter what, I'm a cry-baby when it comes to this kind of thing.

Whatever, by now I'm at the fifth stage of grief (acceptance) for the loss of a good show, I really don't care anymore.

Flag
All I can think is LEXI! If the other side is crumbling Lexi at least needs to transition back into the living world.
Flag
I'd have more sympathy for Stefan's death if it was actually real, but this show ALWAYS finds a way to bringing some one back. How many times has Bonnie and Jeremy died and they're still going. The writing on this show is terrible.
Flag
Wow I loved this episode from start to finish. "Casper the English ghost" that was funny. Oh poor Stefan I didn't expect that at all like what the hell. I hope stefan, Enzo , Alaric and Kol can come back. Can't wait until next week.
Flag
someone has to make a .gif of elena trying to hunt, that was hilarious!
Flag
Loved this review so much. I would pick out my fav bits but I'd just end up reposting the review. Nice work Price.

I too was wondering why Jeremy wasn't affected by the spell - didn't Bonnie use witch magic to bring him back from the dead?

I don't understand why Enzo is bitching so much about being dead. He did it to himself after all. Maybe he should've put more thought into it before he made/allowed Stefan to rip out his heart.

I know I shouldn't be shocked by Stefan's death - Main character + Dead on this show = Actor + short vacation. But still it was pretty shocking. I hope he stays dead long enough that we can see Elena & Damon's reactions. should be fun.

Must admit I was pretty close to giving up on this show - it hasn't been as much fun since the originals left and I've found myself wondering why I still watch it. I think the answer is Damon Salvatore.
Flag
For the Jeremy and Gilbert rings bringing people back to life, I think it's because that kind of magic was a one time thing, you bring him back from the dead as a human and that's it, the spell is done, he's just a regular human with no on going spell keeping him going. The spell that actually keeps the ring active, that's the spell that is going to be affected.

For vampyrism it's different. The spell is an ongoing one, proved by the originals bloodlines dying off if they are killed etc.
Flag
I think he meant when Bonnie closed the veil letting Jeremy on this side, that's when he "came back to life" even if for me he's still a ghost.
Flag
Markos said his spell is unravelling spirit magic right? So does that mean expression would still work?
Flag
Expression magic, is by definition, only lasting due to the wielder's expression of will.
Meaning that in fact it's only taking place as long as you concentrate.

That is why every time Bonnie got injured in season 4 her spells broke off (Klaus in the box, Silas turning to stone) etc.

Ergo that's probably being dispelled too. Markos implied he wants to eradicate witchcraft entirely.
Flag
Does that mean Klaus is gonna be affected too ?
Flag
I'd have a bit more sympathy for Stefan if he, like a five year old, knew you can call a freakin phone operator, emergency services, pizza joint etc. and ask WHERE THE FUCK you are dialling from. The gene pool is relieved.
Flag
The best would have been calling 911 and asking for an ambulance. These probably have blood bags -- if not, even if Stefan abstained Elena could have taken sips from the crew and they could have gotten a ride.
Flag
They don't carry blood due to type match and simple storage/longevity issues. In an ideal world those who could would donate for free. I like your idea of the crew 'donating freely' but in this show taking an ambulance away from emergency duty would hardly be just or fitting for the good vamps.
Flag
Not to mention, if they were out, why couldn't the useless twins just track them with a spell?
Flag
They were missing.
Flag
I have a question: has anyone in mystic falls ever heard of the concept of a gun!? Oh yeah! they have! Damon used one to shoot Klaus in the chest like four times before he could even move when he was training Jeremy at the lake house!!
We aren't dealing with vamps, hybrids or any kind of creatures who need to be specifically killed with wood or fire here.
Instead of dousing his house in gasoline, Damon could have pulled out an Uzi at vamp speed and blown Markos away!
Flag
Which is even dumber considering the amounts of bombs we saw recently on the originals...
Flag
I'm hoping, based on the preview for next week we get to see some of that. It looks like at the very least they are going to be blowing stuff up, but it would be hella-rad to see Damon come up Punisher style with like two Uzis and just blow away all the travelers. He could even wear a Skull shirt while doing so!
Flag
The last time I saw a town blow up was in Buffy series finale. Hopefully history doesnt repeat itself
Flag
That was awesome though! Spike saved the world and knocked over the "Welcome to Sunnydale" sign one last time!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members