We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A The Vampire Diaries Community
Friday 8:00 PM on The CW

The Vampire Diaries S05E22: "Home"

Ah, the Fight Club ending. Just two people holding hands and facing down oblivion. In a lot of ways this episode (and this whole season!) were as aggressive as the David Fincher film, especially in its willingness to openly piss off the audience. Season 5 will always be known as a difficult season, not only for its change of educational venue (like high school ever mattered) or its suddenly reduced cast of characters, but in the way it gave us whiplash for 22 episodes. Alternating between fan-service (love triangle exhaustion) and also, seemingly, overt trolling (in bringing back the diary voiceovers so often as well as the continued use of "hello, my shadow self," it felt like this show was trolling ME PERSONALLY sometimes?), this was a season that both played it safer than usual and also made really risky creative decisions. If your argument is that it wasn't a successful or cohesive season of television overall, I guess I'm sympathetic to that. But if you're saying it was bad, I very much disagree. I wish MORE shows were as weird and unpredictable as this one. I'm not thrilled about Katherine's perma-death, and I'm not thrilled about the frequent use of suicide as a pathos-generator, but when this season was on, it was ON. And I just REALLY like the witch twins, okay? 

"Home" was a dense, action-packed hour of television with exactly the right amount of surprises and heartache. The pay-off of the dissolution of The Other Side may not have been surprising, but it was VERY satisfying. The Other Side is gone! Death may actually have stakes again! Plus we got Alaric back as a human being. And while the implied loophole that may bring Bonnie (and Damon) back from wherever they went does sorrrta negate the destruction of The Other Side (how many afterlifes are there?), I still feel like the stakes are really high and I'm hoping we're being set up for a bit of a series reboot. Who can say? I can't. All I can say is that this episode redeemed things about the season that I hadn't cared for in the past (Silas!) while also making me feel VERY emotional in my tiny dumb heart. We should probably start talking about it!

We started in the dorm lounge where a dead hunk was chilling on the couch just getting crispier and crispier by the minute! My question was, did Caroline grab Stefan's heart and kinda ploop it back into his chest, or did she leave it outside on the pavement where somebody could slip and fall on it? 

Either way, she seemed VERY bummed about Stefan's death. Then Elena and Damon ran in the room:

They also took Stefan's death very hard. Which was good because guess who was watching them:

Stefan was basically living out everyone's fantasy: To be able to spy on people mourning him. Yeah, he seemed to look kinda sad about it, but come on. I'm sure he was stoked to see so much crying. Anyway, then the wind started blowing super hard and Oblivion was calling his name!

But then Lexi grabbed him and saved him! Hey Lexi! Lexi was back. I long ago stopped getting my hopes up that TVD would finally fix one of its all-time biggest blunders (killing Lexi off) by resurrecting her as a full-blown series regular, so I did not fall into that trap this time either, thank goodness. Still though, it was nice to see her smiling face outside of those bad webisode recaps, am I right? Lexi deserves better and always has.

Meanwhile Damon was ESPECIALLY eager for Bonnie to save the day again now that his brother was dead. Bonnie's middle name is Hail Mary Deus Ex Machina, so ostensibly this was her time to shine. But on the other hand, she got a very raw deal in this episode. Everyone was putting tons of pressure on her to clean up the messes THEY had made. At least Enzo was being a team player and had been out recruiting allies in the afterlife.

At this point I started getting tiny tingles because I love it when unexpected characters team up. Finales are usually a good time for teamups, so I had high hopes for this episode, let's put it that way.

It really made me laugh that Liv and Luke had to go on the run because they'd attmepted to murder vampires as though that was some unheard of thing in that town. Uh, guys, I can see that you're new here, but it's actually NOT trying to murder people that would be the weird thing to do. Relax.

Except the problem was that a couple of vampires really needed their help.

This was so silly. When Liv stopped their truck in the previous episode it was because she had the power to turn it into a CGI truck and then crumple it. Elena is just a regular vampire, so theoretically Luke could have just plowed her down like a sad scarecrow. But I guess Luke has good manners so he didn't. Also I loved how pissed Caroline looked standing behind their car:

It was clear that Liv didn't WANT to have killed one of the doppelgangers, and she made a great point that her intentions would have saved all the other vampires in town, etc. But Elena is very Elena-centric and seemed so mad and nothing was going to change that. But Liv was feeling stubborn also. She wanted out of this entire situation.

But then Caroline decided there was only one way to get Liv to help bring people back from the dead:

OH NO, NOT LUKE!!

I was obviously VERY conflicted in this part because Caroline is terrific but Luke is my new favorite and whose side do I choose? On the other hand I saw what Caroline was trying to do and also I had no doubt that Luke would come back along with the other dead characters, so it was fine. But I will admit I got VERY worried when Luke fell dead to the ground. This show is constantly slapping our hearts around which is rude.

This scene was weird. All the Travelers in all the world were backpacking into Mystic Falls and Markos was being real precious about it by moving the town sign to the edge of the spell boundary, or whatever. All this meant was that tons of filthy bohemians were hiking around and these poor guys had to do menial labor in stolen bodies. Also, that "Population 6,923" seemed like a VERY generous figure considering it only took like 20 minutes for Sheriff Forbes to evacuate the town. Also because of the death rate, which remains ridiculous.

Also, quick question, why didn't they just go ahead and re-possess Sheriff Forbes? Did they really need her actual skills and know-how? I think maybe Markos was just kinda crushin' on her to be honest.

So then Julian showed up wearing a hunksuit and yelled at Markos a bunch about whatever. Then Markos wanted to demonstrate that the spell was still hovering over the town like an invisible dome and so he tossed Julian/Tyler across the line and then this happened:

Like I know this was supposed to be scary and/or powerful but it was actually HILARIOUS. "Mad props" to Michael Trevino for playing it like full-on farce by re-enacting all the stages of his monsterdom in reverse in a single take. It was honestly such good physical comedy, I was laughing so hard. If Markos had recorded this incident on his camera phone then it would've gone viral for sure. Do you think in this reality where there are tons of monsters of all kinds that they have their own tube sites? I'm guessing yes, but don't worry about it, it's not important at this time.

Meanwhile three guys without college educations got together in Dr. Wes' old lecture hall to hatch their schemes. And honestly, this was the first time all season that I thought it was a GOOD idea that the college was 2 hours away. So THIS is why the writers decided that. Because of this spell thing? Except, nevermind, the spell range wasn't that big:

Um, sorry, but no. According to where Markos placed that sign, the borderline of the spell circle is on a rural country road, not five blocks away from the Mystic Grill. Unless I missed something here? Look, most of this season has been a complicated set of rules that never seem understandable or consistent, so I'm just going to assume this circle is both accurate and a mistake. Whatever. Point is, Jeremy walked around town all morning sensing in his bones where the magic ended. What did he wear while doing so? Jogging attire? A headband? We may never know and for that I am sad.

How perfectly does this image sum up the show? A sister standing over her brother's corpse while a couple of girls check their Samsungs in the background. Pretty much!

So anyway, did you guess what Damon's brilliant plan was?

Yep, the idea was to murder all the Travelers to once again overwhelm Bonnie, but then use a witch to pry Bonnie's gates open so that all their dead friends could run out of her. And the way to murder all those Travelers was to blow them all up. Sounds good! 

Meanwhile Stefan was spending some quality time with Lexi and nobody could argue with that decision. She seems great! Except I guess she's been spying on him a bit because she immediately started ribbing him about how Caroline has a major crush on him and he must be a legit dunce to not see that.

I had missed Lexi. Guess who I had NOT missed?

Silas! Okay, to be honest, I WAS happy to see him, if only because it brought us full circle to the beginning of the season.  Also, like I said, I like teamups, so the idea that Enzo had recruited Silas to help them in their plan? Kind of great. Also, good job Paul Wesley for making Silas so distinctive... I immediately knew it was him and not just because of the leather jacket, which is a the sartorial version of a goatee when it comes to evil twins. So anyway, yeah, Silas was back! I was fine with it. (Quick question, why wasn't this scene light blue? Shouldn't it have been on The Other Side since all three of them were dead?)

Meanwhile as the resident humans it was Jeremy and Matt's job to go into the caves beneath Mystic Grill (which, LOL it will never not be funny to me that there are caves beneath Mystic Grill) and tamper with the gas line in order to blow everybody up. But I really enjoyed this quick bit where Matt briefly fantasized about maybe just leaving the magical spell in place so that they could live in a monster-free zone for a while.

Except then he lost me when he fantasized about the olden days when things were safer. Uh, according to flashbacks this town has been a a slaughter-zone for hundreds of years. What era specifically was Matt talking about? The early '90s? I'm willing to believe there was sliiightly less murder in the '90s but people were wearing overalls with one strap during those days so don't tell me that was a good situation. (Hey that reminds me, was there no Decades Dance this season? Bummer.)

Oh jeez, these weirdos:

Sheriff Forbes arranged for there to be an open bar at Mystic Grill so that all the Travelers would show up, and in my opinon that was VERY RACIST of her. Still though, it worked, so suddenly all the Travelers were "dancing" (jumping up and down) in the middle of the day. It was seriously so weird and unfun looking. But that's their style I guess.

At this point Damon revealed to Elena that part of killing the Travelers involves him basically suicide bombing them. Why? I don't know. I guess Sheriff Forbes' arm was too weak to throw a molotov cocktail more than four feet or something. And maybe Jeremy's bow and arrows all broke? Look, the point is, Damon's plan involved killing himself.

This was a nice beat here where Damon just straight-up decided he didn't want to argue about this with Elena and they made out instead. He was going to die, but they were definitely going to kiss (loudly!) in front of direct sunlight. It was frustrating but gorgeous, as is their entire romance.

Meanwhile Silas had taught Liv and Bonnie the special spell to jam open the gateway to the Other Side or something, but then it started getting very windy and Silas wanted to come see who was about to get sucked into the sky.

Bonnie did this thing where she pretended to reach for Silas but then pulled her hand away all "psych!" It was basically just revenge for the time Silas killed her dad, so fair enough. Bye forever, Silas. I liked you better when you had a Hellraiser face anyway.

And then Jasmine Guy showed up.

Now, usually Jasmine Guy shows up and yells at Bonnie for being a bad witch, but this time she didn't? What was going ON?

This to me was probably the most important moment of the episode because Jasmine Guy basically just told Bonnie straight-up that she'd been pulling strings and Bonnie shouldn't worry about getting sucked into oblivion or anything like that. So yeah, I think this moment was the loophole that will lead to Bonnie (and Damon's) return. But it's maybe the last time we'll ever see Jasmine Guy, so that made me sad. Pretty good send-off though. She looked great and the hug was very moving. Love Jasmine Guy so much, always have and always will.

I liked this moment too. Damon was waiting for the clock to strike 7 so that he could go suicide bomb the town, but first a quiet moment where he just sat on his car and thought about life. But then when it was time to go something surprising happened!

And I liked this moment too, where Elena asserted her intentions and told Damon not to argue. See, aren't people so much more likable when they aren't codependent? Anyway, this was now officially a suicide pact! Next thing we knew Damon was speeding toward everyone's favorite all-ages bar and grill!

And as the spell made them briefly human again and Elena was choking back lake water and Damon began bleeding from his chest, they exchanged these looks:

So good. Oh, then they crashed into Mystic Grill.

And guess who died? ALL THE TRAVELERS. Also Damon and Elena!

In a quick bit that I didn't cap because come on these things are already way too long, Damon and Elena went to the forest and ran through Bonnie (along with tons of dead Travelers), and then they had to go back to the Mystic Grill for whatever reason. Oh, because that's where there bodies were. Elena's looked so gross too.

ENHANCE!

Haha oh man. Elena's hair burnt off and she died screaming. Not a very chill way to go.

But this made up for it a bit:

Alaric! He was just chillin' in that grill and I guess he had a front row seat to Mystic Falls' biggest mass murder of the past few weeks.

Meanwhile Damon woke up in the kitchen and guess who he found?

Sheriff Forbes! She was bloody and had cotton candy hair so he assumed she was dead and even tried to help her! But then she started coughing and she was fine, because of course she was fine. Then this guy showed up and they made heart-eyes at each other:

Aw, come on, that's cute. They are cute. A big deal was made about how Damon didn't have any friends and then Enzo filled that gap and now he has TWO friends. (Oh wait, nevermind, jumping the gun there. Theoretically he'll have two friends alive again, that's what I meant.)

Meanwhile all the chanting was taking its toll on Liv. She was probably not going to be able to hold the Bonnie gate open much longer and Luke was worried! So he ran out of the room and became the first person to re-resurrect! (Which I was VERY ok with.)

And then Luke was alive again! Oh thank G. 

But Liv was not looking so hot. But to her credit, she insisted on keeping it going because she'd given them her word. Which meant that several more people re-resurrected right in a row!

Enzo was back! He's alive again, everybody. Alaric came back too, because duh. That is great news for Season 6, nobody can dispute that. Then Tyler came back:

But the tricky thing was, Tyler was now a regular human being! They figured this out because he hugged Caroline and he said it "felt different" which I at first interpreted as a boner joke, but then he cut his hand on a rock and didn't heal, so whoops! Human. That's an interesting twist. Is Enzo also human? Probably. We'll see. 

Then Elena showed up but Damon hadn't yet, so she wanted to wait. Meanwhile Bonnie was practically dying and she did not want to deal with Elena's foolishness so she just grabbed her and brought her back to life.

And Elena was SO MAD. See what I'm saying? Bonnie is legit dying and Elena got mad at her for bringing her back to life, which was always the plan anyway. So then Bonnie coughed up blood and Stefan "tried to help her" and accidentally re-resurrected himself! Scare quotes because come on. Was it really an accident, Stefan? Be honest. 

So yeah, that left only Lexi and a missing Damon to be resurrected. But Lexi noticed that Bonnie wasn't doing so hot, so she hesitated. And while she did that, a Big Bad ran up and tried to re-resurrect himself also! But Lexi was ready for him:

A big thing had been made about how people could avoid oblivion by just 'finding peace' and turning into light or whatever. So I guess Lexi's version of finding peace was to decline to accidentally kill Bonnie and to also throw Markos into the sky. 

I don't know. I wish she would have re-resurrected and become a series regular, but still. Finding peace seems pretty cool too. Bye, Lexi. You were a neat lady.

Anyway, at this point Luke became fed up with Liv DYING so much and he put an end to these shenanigans. Basically he did a bit of yammering and all her candles blew out. The good news is she didn't die, but the bad news was Damon still hadn't crossed over yet!

It was a bit of a bummer to be honest. But in my opinion you snooze you lose, which is a phrase I just made up. Damon snoozed and lost. What took him so long? How come Elena's ghost ran over to the cemetery at lightning speed but Damon traveled at more of a mosey? Anyway, he was stuck now.

Meanwhile Stefan was very sad that his brother was now perma-dead, plus Lexi didn't cross over either. Double bummer. But don't worry, Caroline didn't try to make out with him or anything. She was definitely there for him though.

Aw, guys. 

But things just kept getting sadder, and a lot of it was courtesy of Nina Dobrev's forever A++ crying abilities. Nobody cries like Dobrev. NOBODY.

The especially poignant part of this scene was that Damon was trying to say goodbye even though Elena couldn't see or hear him. He could touch her sort of, but otherwise she just sort of wailed into the abyss about how life sucked without him and it wasn't fair and all that. It was exactly as frustrating and heartbreaking as IRL death.

I will explain later, but I wasn't suuuuper sad about this moment. Because, yeah, as we mentioned last week, the romantic heroes on this show aren't leaving the show. Damon will be back, it's just a matter of how. Just my opinion!

Plus, now we have Alaric back, and he was already being so Alaricky! 

Aw, I like that guy. Welcome back.

Meanwhile Bonnie called up Jeremy to say goodbye and he ran across town yelling her name and then he arrived just in time for the end.

AND BOY WAS IT THE END. Man, it was a lot. The end was a lot.

Bonnie and Damon looked at each other, joked that they probably weren't each other's first choice to head into oblivion together, but they held hands and stared terrified as the light engulfed them.

And then everything faded to white! Including the logo:

And that was it. 

Bonnie and Damon DIED? Or something? Went into the Great Beyond? Found Peace? French-kissed the grim reaper? Who even knows. But look: Jasmine Guy hinted at a special loophole for Bonnie. Bonnie and Damon were holding hands. YOU DO THE MATH. (What is math?)

I gotta say, destroying The Other Side was a great idea on the writers' parts. After absolutely ruining the concept of death on this show, it's nice to have stakes again. Unfortunately, this last twist was yet another thing that ruined the finality of death. So, even in the afterlife there's ANOTHER afterlife after that? How many levels of post-death consciousness are there? Oh well. 

I'm almost too exhausted to run-down what did and didn't work about the season. I think that as fun and BIG as this finale was, there's a definite lack of impact here, and I think maybe that's a testament to how we weren't engaged quite enough over these 22 episodes. Parts of this season worked, but certain parts didn't, and even when this season course-corrected, it still left us with the feeling that there wasn't a grand story worth becoming invested in. Three big bads (including Katherine), one after the other, and not a lot of cohesion. I do NOT agree with the haters who bring some kind of agenda to the table when they argue that this season was terrible or unwatchable. It wasn't, and frankly I don't trust your judgment if that's what you're claiming. It's just that this season didn't particularly add up. Moment to moment it was engaging and fun and exactly as witty as usual, but it didn't thread enough longform stakes-building for the pay-offs to seem powerful. Another thing was that it clung to tropes that were long past tired. I mean, the diaries alone. And I frankly don't care that shippers make up a huge majority of the fanbase; anytime writers try to service those particular fans the stories will be bad. I don't mind that the characters are having romances, it's the redundant cycle of angsty arguments, misunderstandings, breakups, and makeups that are so tired they're now completely meaningless when they occur. The doppelganger stuff was always a weird piece of lore in this mythology, but when this season decided to truly explore it, it not only took away some much-needed mystery, it made it all seem so boring.

As for what this season did right: College was fun and new. The Twins. Heck, I still think the Travelers had a distinctive and understandable agenda. Much better than Silas, and I'm sorry to say, maybe even better than Esther and her Terminator!Alaric. Maybe we're past the point of getting amazing villains? Klaus kind of shut the door on that one. Who knows. But yeah, I've watched five episodes of this thing and I'm telling you that people who claim Season 5 was some kind of HUGE drop-off from previous seasons are misremembering previous seasons. Season 4 also had tons of problems. Season 3 had a bumpy second half. Season 1 started terribly. Guys, get real. We're on a big, long journey here and part of the thrill of longform storytelling is observing the ups, downs, twists, and turns of an organic, still-unfolding saga. All these stories are being written on the go, that's how TV works, but TVD works double time to cover more ground in a season than a normal show would in three. I'm still very impressed and totally on board. And, especially after this finale, I can't wait until Season 6. I'd love to see a huge shakeup, a time jump, a reboot, something. Cut loose, TVD! Reinvent. But wherever this show goes, I know it'll continue to be a wild ride and I'll always be there with a ticket in hand. 

I love you guys, thanks for reading.

QUESTIONS

... Will Jasmine Guy save the day?

... Is Lexi gone forever?

... Will Alaric get a job at the college?

... Should the citizens of Mystic Falls think long and hard before returning to town?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/29/2016

Season 7 : Episode 20

Next Episode

TONIGHT AT 8PM

Season 7 : Episode 21

815 Comments
Comments (815)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This is to inform the general public that Vampires are real.
My name is Clavin.,am an agent of vampire,am here to introduce our new world trend to you,a world of vampire where life get easier,we have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich,you will be assured long life and prosperity,you shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness,stronger and also very fast,you will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk.In case you are wildly oppressed by some unscrupulous persons we can still help you fight them.Your protection is assured immediately you join.Just contact the bellow email if you are interested we are here to attend to you anytime you want us. Contact the bellow email for more details. Email: vampirestemple50@gmail.com
Flag
NOTICE:
My name is James Franklyn.,am an agent of vampire,am here to introduce our new world trend to you,a world of vampire where life get easier,we have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich,you will be assured long life and prosperity,you shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness,stronger and also very fast,you will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk.In case you are wildly oppressed by some unscrupulous persons we can still help you fight them.Your protection is assured immediately you join.Just contact the bellow email if you are interested we are here to attend to you anytime you want us.
Contact the below email for more details.
Email:vampirescreed616@gmail.com
Flag
as bittersweet as it can be, i think TVD should think of about it declaring the final season and hopefully then be able to spend a lot of time working up to a satisfying series finale; rather than seeing how long they can keep the ratings decent. this show has kept up a ridiculous story-telling pace for a long time - kudos for that; for the most part they have been successful and hopefully it will get to end on a high point.
Flag
I love Price, and I usually agree with him, but part of me thinks he is just desperately trying to find redeeming qualities in this show so he can stick with it. I get it I have been there too, but we need to admit there is a difference between a few bumps in the story telling and the giant chasm this show has created with its really poor plots, myth and character development. It just might be its time to die, maybe one good, well thought out final season, all things must come to an end, please let it try to go out with some dignity.
Flag

Lol!
Flag
My name is Clavin.,am an agent of vampire,am here to introduce our new world trend to you,a world of vampire where life get easier,we have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich,you will be assured long life and prosperity,you shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness,stronger and also very fast,you will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk.In case you are wildly oppressed by some unscrupulous persons we can still help you fight them.Your protection is assured immediately you join.Just contact the bellow email if you are interested we are here to attend to you anytime you want us. Contact the bellow email for more details. Email: vampirestemple50@gmail.com
Flag
Price, we so rarely disagree, but... This finale was lame. In the moment it was fun, tense, emotional, sure. But in the end, what changed? We got Alaric? Lexi is really gone for good? At one point, this show had consequences. People died and even when that didn't stick, it still had an impact. Remember the carnage at the end of season 2? And now what, even TYLER makes it back - a character that most assumed was only alive because they hadn't thought of a good way to kill him yet?

The Damon thing was poorly handled. If you're not even going to pretend he's really gone, don't leave it as a faux cliffhanger. When Elena died, they didn't diddle around all summer, pretending she was dead - they showed us that she was awake and in transition. Spending the summer pondering Elena as a vampire was much more interesting than wondering "well, how are they going to bring her back?" Which is what we have now, which is dumb.

Also, how sad is it for Bonnie that people are so upset about Damon they haven't even noticed she's gone? If i were jeremy I would punch so many faces.
More+
Flag
DAMON DIED?!?! OMG.. first stefan, and he returned :D but... did you really need to take Damon? Couldn't he just come back with Bonnie.. and everybody would be happy... Is it to much to ask for ? no bad news, everyones happy... really crappy lives they have... hahaha!
Flag
Checkout the fashion of The Vampire Diaries for Season.5 Episode.22 here
http://www.tvfashionguide.com/blog/tags/tag/the-vampire-diaries-season-5-episode-22
Flag
Why did this episode make me so sad? Maybe because Damon got cut off? Maybe because I really wanted Damon and Alaric back? Urgh.
Flag
I don't care what anyone is saying, TVD works hard for these shows. I absolutely love TVD, If you really hate the show and think that its terrible - Don't watch it simple's, I'm sorry but nothing is perfect. So either appreciate the work or fuck off. The End.
+The season finale was great Damon has to come back some way though and i wonder what they are gonna concoct for the next season!!
Flag
But guys, you know that they will find the most ridiculous way to bring Damon back, no worries, Bonnie I'm not so sure, she could be the new big bad, it would be cool.
Flag

1. And this series is not ridiculous everyone loves Damon he's like a nicer sweeter version of klaus that is also gorgeous and he's nicer now but c'mon everyone loves a good/bad guy who u love to hate although I don't hate damon I just plain love him so why don't u shut up
Flag
I completely agree with the writer of this it was a really good season it had a few snags but as Peter Griffin said "OH MY GOD WHO THE HELL CARES!" all of the seasons were really good except maybe the first half of season 1 but that's ok every show starts off bumpy anyway Ian Somerhalder signed a 6 year contract and if they want to extend it they can so Damon's coming back so everyone stop saying "ohh TVD is over Damon's not here" it's not over there is clearly a season 6 and the promo pictures have DAMON in it so every one calm ya selves down
Flag
The number of afterlife levels and resources for coming back to life are proportional to the quantity of TV viewers. The series has become totally ridiculous, people are even liking Damon, a serial killer who threatens and kills his friends. I keep asking the same question since season 1 episode 1: ¿why dont they just move from that boring, dangerous beasts-infected town?
Flag
This series isn't ridiculous your ridiculous and everyone loves Damon he's a nicer version of Klaus c'mon everyone has that person that you love to hate although I just plain love him and obviously you haven't seen after season 1 cuz Damon completely changed I mean he has is murderous moments but he's so sweet and hot and did I mention HOT
Flag
you sound like a twelve year old justin beaber stan, did you ever read what you wrote? "Oh he kills a bunch of people SOMETIMES but he's really HOT :)))".
He's not "sweet" he's a douch and people will dislike him for it. Get over it.
Flag
I'm sorry do u read what you write it's spelled douche Damon's a badass and everyone knows it and he's VERY HOT he does what he wants when he wants to so what why don't you get over it, ITS A TV SHOW so shut up and crawl back under the rock you came from
Flag
lol calm down little child, I know the truth sometimes hurts, It's my life lesson for you no need to cry bb! just go back to tumblr and post more pictures of Ian to feel better *pats head*
Flag
Elena will still probably be a vampire since she died before the magic dome thingy stripped her of her vampirism completely.
Flag
Elena is a vampire/doppelganger/back-to-life creature so she has a triple spell which can turn her into an original/witch bound to marry Silas in the after-after-after life to have a baby who breaks all spells in the earth and everybody is human again... the plot can go as ridiculous as the "writers" are asked for depending on audience ratings.
Flag
They actually might have to do that as a way to end the show. But I'm thinking we are not that lucky, especially since whatever happens in TVD will now ripple into the Originals.
Flag
YOU ARE A GENIUS!!! You should probably submit that to the TVD writers and they will take you on board in an instant! ... I can't stop laughing!
Maybe if Elena kisses Silas there is this whole universe explosion going on because he is the first and she the last doppelgänger ever (since she can't ? have kids anymore right?) and that takes away all magic from the earth and than it is all rainbows and butterflies!!! .. I wonder if there is a elena+silas ship yet? selena maybe ^^or elilas....
Flag
Damon dying was SO horrible. I am so curious what they're going to do with that. Will he come back? Is he over?? I really don't like that idea. To be honest, Bonnie's death wouldn't bother me. Her only purpose on the show now was her magic (which has gotten less and less important through the seasons). Now we can get to know the fun - and more powerful - witch twins and maybe Elena will go vendetta on them. I do love Enzo, though, so thanks for him TVD; and seeing Lexi again, although briefly, and having Alaric back for good! yay!
Flag
what i dont get is at the end of ep21 didnt stefan pass through bonnie because it looked like he did. so shouldnt he have been gone for good then?
Flag
Yes he passed through to the other side in E21, just like all the other dead supernaturals. And then he came back through her to this side in E22, just like witch-boy, Enzo, Elena & Alaric.
Flag
I think that Tyler is still a werewolf probably, maybe even with the gene deactivated so he won't have to turn on the full moon anymore, but he is cured of his vampirisim. just before he died of a broken neck i am pretty sure he reverted back to his living state as a simple everyday werewolf. so while he is no longer undead, he is most definitely a still a supernatural being. all the others died while they were still vampires so... their probably still vampires. makes sense when i say these things in my head, but i dunno about the rest of you. eh makes sense at the moment anyway.
Flag
I think he's just human with a werewolf gene but I believe he's either gonna re trigger the curse or turn into a vampire
Flag
I'm sure he will retrigger the curse if it isn't still in effect, than he will have to have a cross-over arc where he needs Klaus' daughters blood to turn back into a hybrid.
It wouldn't surprise me if Elena and Damon were human again when they come back. They had turned back into humans before the bomb right? Hence the drowning and bleeding stuff.
I don't know with this show anymore. Season one was awful until the last 3 episodes. Season 2 and the first half of 3 were AMAZING. But 4 and 5 have been kinda a train wreck. Yes there are moments of it being ok and funny, and things I like, but lately they haven't out weighed the bad.
Flag
What I took away most from this episode is that Lexi is the best character (and person?) to ever exist. She denied coming through Bonnie:
a) because it was killing Bonnie; b) because she didn't want to interfere with Stefan getting his brother back. Keeping in mind that this is the same brother who staked her through the heart and killed her (as a vamp) in the first place. Lexi's generosity and willingness to put Stefan's happiness before her own life makes her the greatest ever. RIP Lexi
I'm glad they brought Alaric back (although that scene when he is a ghost and watching Damon drink/grieve him will continue to make me cry/give me chills). Maybe I would have been more upset about Damon "dying", but I feel like there is a loophole and he'll be back in some form or another. I don't know. It's nice that as of the time the Other Side began falling apart, Elena made one comment about her best friend (Bonnie) dying with it exactly one time (at least that I can remember). Even then it was more of a 'well, that sucks, but I'm sure you'll fix it.. hey, remember my guy trouble?'.

I definitely rolled my eyes at ANOTHER 'shadow self' reference, but it was also very rewarding to see Silas get sucked up into oblivion. Good riddance.

In a way I am conflicted about Elena being present with Damon in the car. On the one hand, good for her for being assertive about what she thinks and feels. On the other hand, Bonnie is suffering every time someone passes through her and it just gets worse and worse, which means Elena - who was not remotely linked to the actual plan - just made things worse for her. That's how I perceive it, anyway. I am really, REALLY hoping they don't bring Damon back to life. Death needs to be a reality in order to have stakes on this show, and the lack of which is something I find this show really suffers from. As much as I like redemption-driven/do-the-wrong-thing-for-the-right-reasons/snarky-one-liners Damon, I hope - for the sake of good television - they keep him dead.
More+
Flag
Lexi is the best forever. Elena continues to be a crappy friend to Bonnie. I generally find Bonnie's irrelevance amusing but yeah, too much here. Too mean. She's gone and all anyone can mope about is Damon? Poor kid.

But they're coming back - Plec confirmed it. I agree with you - this show needs to grow some consequences! In earlier seasons I was worried for my favorite characters - what if they kill Matty? Caroline? But now it's silly. Make me afraid again, show. Make me believe you're willing to go THERE. Killing Lexi was a huge mistake but they lived with it, you know? Kill someone else that people care about, and leave them dead. Right now, Stefan dies? Yawn. Damon? Yawn. I was psyched for a minute when Tyler died, because he's so useless of late, but then I realized oh, he'll just come back. Yawn.
Flag
Agreed. I kinda wish they had brought Lexi and Alaric back and everyone else could stay dead. The show could be about them lol, that I could support.
Being serious though, they do need some stakes. Everyone knows that Elena, Caroline, Damon, and Stefan aren't going to die ever. Really you can only do so much with them, the writers need to be willing to bring in and develop new characters and eliminate some of the older ones, that really have no where to go like Tyler, Jeremy, and I'm said to say even Matt and Bonnie. I really liked Jeremy's death and how it had repercussions and undermining that really annoyed me and actually made me resent that season. TVD writers need to sit down and have a serious conversation as to where they want the show to go and how they are going to start actually messing with the audience again, scaring them and making them feel things / care about the characters again. One of the main things that makes life interesting and gets people invested is that it can end, some people need to die to create that atmosphere.
Flag
I was SO excited for Tyler dying.... too bad he didn't stay dead.
Flag
Does that mean DAMON and ELENA are HUMAN AGAIN since they DIED like TYLER??? cause that's a TWIST!!!

Flag
No they died before, they crashed the car before they became human again, so they should still be vampires
Flag
I'm really curious and confused about the impact of the spell reversal on the folks who returned from the other side. Tyler supposedly reverted to a human with the vampire gene, except he was turned into a werewolf before he was killed. So if the traveller's spell unravels things in reverse chronology, Tyler should have died before reverting to human. On the other hand, if the Traveller's spell erases everything, that must mean that Elena (and probably Damon, when he returns) is human again. Julie Plec was pretty clear about Matt, Jeremy and Tyler being the humans who stay in Mystic Falls, but if the show chooses to actually be consistent with it's bizarre rules, Elena will become the go between for the humans and the exiles.
Flag
i think this should have been a big finish. as in end of the series. why? this leaves the rest of the people alive to mould their lives and be strong for each other while mourning the loss of Damon and Bonnie. The Other Side is permanently destroyed, this should mean that Damon and Bonnie SHOULDN'T come back.
Frankly i think they should end the show because the entire season 5 was frustrating. I was like sooooo...another villain again, BORING (travellers). Who would they bring in season 6 again??? its just pointless, because there'll always be bad people and so far the only person remotely capable of stirring up trouble is Enzo (who's interested in Caroline who has to make up her mind about Tyler and maybe Stefan). The Love triangle between Elena and Stefan and Damon has been extinguished for a while now, Elena has Alaric for strength now, and she can find love again.
If they decide to continue with a season 6, it will take a while to make fans sit up again. This kind of series doesn't need an unrealistic 'happy ending'. To me 'Home' was and should be the end to this series... they specialise in cliffhangers... epic to end it with one.
Just my take though. Bravo to them.
More+
Flag

Read somewhere... Pretty much sums up the way I feel about vampire diaries!
Flag
lol I'm pretty sure that comma is just a typo. It's not 6,923, it's 6.923. For real, when was the last time we saw an ordinary citizen in this town? Not possessed, not dead, not about to get killed...?!

I really loved the female warrior power in this episode! Bonnie handling the bringing-back-people-stuff, Caroline snapping Luke's neck (BOOYAH!), Elena sliding into the car next to Damon (also stupid, yes, but still romantic!), Sheriff Forbes luring Markos into the trap (btw: Is she dead now?), Lexi fighting against Markos and Liv, who worked effin hard to keep her promise!
Too bad we wont see Lexi anymore. I totally adored her and her sense of humor!!

Will Jasmine Guy save the day? She's always saving the day, even when she's not there! Everytime Bonnie said "Grandma" I was like "THAT'S JASMINE GUY!". Goodbye, Jasmine Guy! We'll miss ya...
Flag
I have to say, it is going to take a lot more than a rather down season for me to give up on this show and also I have enjoyed parts of this season that many others seem to have hated (like Silas.. I liked Silas! he was fun and I was happy to see him in the finale... sorry!!)
However the season was indeed too fragmented and I disliked some important parts like the whole Augustine plot and how the writers suddenly tore apart all of Damon's character development.
I was nostalgic for the "good old times" so I went back and rewatched some parts of season two and three and I concluded that making Elena a vampire was probably a bad idea, she was never my favourite character but she was so much better as a human imo. The end of season three with her death drowning remains one of the highlights of the whole show so I am torn about it but I still think that her character changed for the worst and the show suffered from it. Another thing which I think affected the show was the fact that with Elena a vampire and Jeremy a Hunter there were practically no regular humans left, (except for Matt, who lately simply seemed to have no place with his moster friends) thus making death even more meaningless and having all characters even more detached from real life than before.
Still this finale was very good and has the potential to be a major game changer if some of the charcters are actually coming back as humans. I have doubts and there are inconsistencies all over the place there so I am not going to try and make sense of all but I do think there is a good chance that at least Elena is human again. I would be very excited if for example Stefan were human aswell (or Damon.. who knows how Damon will be back at this point!) but I do not think it will be the case.
Yet having at least Tyler and Elena is already promising for me and it definetely has me looking forward to the fall.

More+
Flag
I've always thought that Elena should have stayed human. It's just so unnatural. Shows like this always have a central, human, relatable character to ground them. Now we're just watching a bunch of monsters. And she's the most boring vampire ever.
Flag
It seems like she has become even dumber, I am not sure how to explain that, but a few years ago she was at least able to put 2 and 2 together, now I no longer know. However I stand by my assertion, if she is human again next year, then I am confident this may have been all worth it.
Flag
Oh she's definitely dumber. Before she was smart (ok, not book smart) but constantly trying too hard to martyr herself at every turn. When she did dumb things it was always because of some virtuous reason. She was annoying as hell but at least she had a coherent world view. What's human Elena going to do? Whatever puts her in greatest danger and is most likely to completely backfire because everyone will kill themselves to save her.

How amazing was it when the plan to blow up the Travelers actually worked, though? It was like the one time a plan came together for these turkeys.
Flag
I've finally found someone else who liked Silas! Silas and Tessa were my favourite part of this season IMO.
I agree with parts on your analysis, but I still think that Vampire Elena is funnier, maybe only because of some changes in her personality...
They destroyed Damon so much that I started disliking him... I don't know.
Flag
I liked Silas too. That bus stop scene was one of my favirte this season.
Flag
So much better than Stefan IMO
Flag
Waouw I hated this finale just as much as I hated this whole messy and stupid season! They basically all died and came back through Bonnie so easily that it made me sick! How is it that Tyler/Julian dies within seconds after crossing the Mystic Falls border but Damon and Elena have the time to blow the whole town up?! How is it possible that Jeremy and Matt can walk through the no magic zone even though they were brought back to life by witch magic?! And how did the Sheriff survive the explosion?! I hate all this inconsistency!

They'll obviously find a way to bring Damon back one way or another, no mysteries there! Those goodbyes lacked emotion even though miss Dobrev is usually good at crying on command. Bringing Ric back is a huge mistake in my opinion, I don't see how he'll be useful just as Enzo even though I like this character. I don't really get why Tyler didn't come back as a hybrid, I hope they'll find a plausible explanation

It's kinda difficult to imagine what's gonna happen next year but I sure as hell hope everything will be much better than this crap! I'm so angry at them for letting me down so much, it's insane!

More+
Flag
Tyler died a werewolf, so he's not a hybrid anymore
But totally agree with you about the inconsistencies, especially about how Tyler died so quickly compared to Elena and Damon
Flag
Tyler died with a snap neck, that is a quick death
However Damon and Elena died by drowning and shooting and that is a slow death, give them time to cross the border to mystic grill
Flag
What I meant is that Tyler lost his vampirism right away, while it took some time for Elena and Damon to go back to their human status
Flag
aww crap ! I wanted a bromance triangle ric and enzo over damon.

Well, since ˜ of the people are happy that ric is back, that tells how all the characters declined, except the blonde duo.

And just in case anyone's wondering, tyler is back as human because he died as human in the perimeter.
Flag
YES bromance triangle, that should be the show next season right there.
Flag
I was literally about to comment the same thing but you beat me to it lol. Enzo died a vampire as did Elena and Damon and also Stefan. But Tyler was reverted back to his human form first. Glad you spotted this too!!
Flag
It's weird because Damon and Elena said they had to die as vampires in order to get to the Other Side. So if Tyler did die as a human he wouldn't be able to get there and to come back. Maybe it's because he was a werewolf but that doesn't explain why he died so quickly compared to Damon and Elena.
Flag
Tyler appeared to Bonnie because Julian was in his body. His body died human with a traveler inside, that allowed him to go to the other side.

As for Elena and Damon not dying instantly, well that's writers stretching their own rules for their plans :D There's only one thing I can speculate, they were moving and tyler was standing, maybe magic works slower when you move fast :D
Flag
You might be right. I just hope Alaric came back as a vampire because it would mess your theory up otherwise :)
Flag
Vampire super killer, that is what I want him back as lol. He doesn't have to be crazy, just have all the power. No risk of him ever dying again unless Elena does. I know there is no way to make that make sense, but I am hopeful. Also he could do a cross over with the originals to help Klaus deal with Michael and Esther.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I hope Alaric came back as a human because I don't care about any of the ridiculous explanations anyway, and I like him human. :)
Flag
Tyler has the werelwolf gene so is always supernatural, he was born with that, it´s not witch magic

Tyler died with a snap neck, that is a quick death
However Damon and Elena died by drowning and shooting and that is a slow death, give them time to cross the border to mystic grill
Flag
This show got beat by it's spin-off and that even after just one season of The Originals... That's my humble opinion...
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I wonder if a season 5 of The Originals could still deliver like season 1 did
Flag
It might not ,but still what a season...
Flag
True, it may not - but it also kicked TVD season 1's a$$, so there's that.
Flag
I'm now pretty sure that the writers are just making it up as they go along. This show is pretty rubbih now. I think i'm done now.
Flag
seriously though, the travelers spell on mystic falls should have killed both jeremy and matt, who both have died and come back by witch magic (which was undone by the travellers spell), but then again everyone on this show has died and then come back to life so the writes did put themselves in a pickle there..
Flag
A resurrection spell is not continuously active. Once the resurrection is complete, the spell is done, so there is no magic to undo. Immortality rings are triggered upon death, so there is no magic to undo until the wearer dies. At which point, Matt's soul would get dragged off into the darkness. Jeremy's Hunter powers are continuously active, so that gets undone. Daylight rings are continuously active, so those get undone.
Flag
I see, must've missed it when that was explained! :)
Flag
" Jeremy's Hunter powers are continuously active, so that gets undone. Daylight rings are continuously active, so those get undone."

I don't understand what you mean. Jeremy came back to life thanks to Bonnie and Matt came back thanks to his ring so why wouldn't they die?
Flag
He means that once brought back to life, the resurrection spell wears off, they don't need the ring to stay alive (in fact when sometimes they took it off, they didn't die).
Flag
Ok that works for Matt but not for Jeremy whom Bonnie brought back to life
Flag
IDK why so many are saying TVD stole the fade to white from Lost....this was not even an original idea when Lost did it.

Numerous shows/films have had a fade to white.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FadeToWhite
Flag
I have to say that I was laughing so hard when all the Mystic Fall gang was passing through Bonnie. Haha that was hilarious. So easy to go from death to life in TVD. You pass from one dimension to another with a whole new body.

I think that in the next season we will see a OUAT kinda scenario. Bonnie and Damon in the great great beyond scenario and the other Mystic Fall gang in present time.

PS. I don't know what to think about Kol. This was the great opportunity to bring Kol back and use him in The Originals. Why JP?

Anyway, happy about Alaric.
Flag
I think Kol is still coming back, but Esther is gonna bring him back herself on the originals, at least that is what the comicon trailer makes it look like.
Flag
I guess there wasn't time to bring Kol's actor back, the news about Bloodlines came out recently right?
Flag
Yeah but it's not like they had started to film
Flag
I was thinking the same. Elena's body was unrecognizable but she came back just fine! Haha!

You're right, they should have brought Kol back!
Flag
since they already "stole" the fading to white - ending from Lost's season five finale, how about avoiding a second afterlife (which would make death seem irrelevant and a mockery once again) by sending Bonnie and Damon back into the 60s/70s/80s?? Then let Bonnie and Jeremy meet up when she looks like a grandmother xD ....or send them into the future and let Damon see how Elena admitted herself to a closed institution! jep,jep...so many possibilities
Flag
As a childhood friend and the friends who saved you and your boyfriends and family for zillion times, you would think Elena is considerable enough not to let bonnie go through the pain uselessly twice. Damon was not going for a skiing trip, that Elena had to jump and say "I will go, I will go"... She hardly had any mission to crossover...when a mission which is still questionable( plot holes) have limited time and unbearable pain for a person, you expect Elena to have a better judgement..writer needs to address this Elena..Alaric can be a good influence if the writers agree to the fact that this kind of behaviour is disturbing..
Flag
First, you and I have VERY different perspectives, but I'm glad at least you recognize this was a good season. This season kicked last season's butt. Here are my top reasons for why I loved this season, in this order:

1) KATHARINE DIED. FINALLY. I get it, she has an attitude and that's fun to watch. In what is a poor reflection of society, the fandom glorified her b*tchy ways. With that controversial character finally out of the way, the show tied up its longest standing loose end, the original big bad from flipping season 1. Finally, the show can focus on Elena again without constantly having to draw comparisons to her "cooler" doppleganger. Also, the show did Katharine's character justice. They brought that character's arc full circle by bringing her daughter into the picture. While that relationship didn't work out like I'd hoped, it served its purpose. It demonstrated again how selfish she is by focusing all her energy on winning Stefan, her love. And yet it is those very actions that made it so bittersweet when Stefan killed her. At least we got to see those two get along in the first half. I was happy for her when she got to be with him in her own body. Also, her time as a decaying human was loads of fun to watch, to see her struggle and not have the upper hand. Not to mention the way she went out, dragged by winds out of the church, SUPER EPIC. All in all, Katharine's final season was awesome and I'm glad she's gone.

2) THE EXPANSION OF THE MYTHOS. I loved that we got a full explanation as to why and how "the other side" exists and what the internal rules are, such as why does it take longer to wake up each time you die and get brought back. It's because your spirit is farther from its body. When you wake up, you remember nothing of what you experienced there. The exploration of the doppleganger stuff was also awesome. It was mega confusing at times, but damn if this show doesn't have a brilliantly complex mythos that charts as high as some of the greats. I, unlike you, adored the Silas stuff. We got to see Paul Wesley be different. Silas' grand plan to kill himself, the reveal of Amara being the anchor and the other side being a set up by Qetsiyah so Silas could never be with Amara = GENIUS. Dopplegangers being destined for each other because they are Amara and Silas' love reverberating through generations because of their immortality. Blew my mind.

3) BONNIE WAS IMPORTANT. Bonnie hasn't felt like an integral character in a long time. It was originally that Elena and Bonnie were best friends, and Bonnie was the cool one cuz she was a magical witch, and Caroline was their superficial third wheel. But since Caroline became a cool vamp and Bonnie became anti-vampires after Damon killed her Grams, a divide came up between the characters that never really recovered. Caroline's development brought her front and center and Bonnie was relegated to fire extinguisher status: only use when needed. I felt like this season was her season. She finally got to be in a stable relationship with Jeremy, she lost her magic so she was no longer her friends' tool, she had some touching familial interaction, and she was constantly relevant and in pain being the anchor. And this brilliant epic finale set in her stone as the most selfless of her friends. When Damon paused before going through Bonnie I face-palmed so hard. Characters stupidly waiting around when they know they're in a time crunch pisses me off. But, it led to a really great beautiful full-circle moment of she and Damon holding hands when going into oblivion, so I forgive it.

4) MATT HAD PURPOSE. We all know how TVD has struggled to give Matt something to do. I am happy to say he's developed into a full blown character with great scenes and lines, a guy we all love and is as important now as he was back in season 1. And TVD did it with him still being human. Kudos.

5) THE DISSOLVING OF "THE OTHER SIDE". The ghost stuff was fun while it lasted, but just like everyone else is saying, death can mean something again. Too many characters we know were accumulating there. From this point on, when characters die, they die for good. I haven't cried while watching TVD in a very long time. But in the last two episodes this season, I could feel how high the stakes were and I cried when Stefan died and when Damon and Bonnie were swept into oblivion. It was epic.

Top 5 things I didn't like:

1) TYLER. On this show, when characters don't have a plot, they become loitering drunkards that clog the screen. Happened with every character at some point, most notably Alaric. And this season, it was Tyler's turn to hang around with nothing to do. Hate that. Honestly, whenever a show stops killing its characters and is constantly on a mad dash to keep them alive and relevant, the show becomes stale. I'm glad the Originals left to their own show as their involvement here was overextended and tedious. Although I would have rather they died at the hands of their father way back when. But then our entire main cast would be dead so phooey. The only thing that salvaged Tyler this season was getting possessed by Julian.

2) CAROLINE AND TYLER'S RELATIONSHIP. TVD has a problem keeping relationships interesting. Characters break up, not because it makes sense, but because their relationship becomes boring. That's what happened with Caroline and Tyler. Forewood used to be the strongest couple on the show after we got tired of the triangle. Then, somehow, it became just as stale. And that's because the writers neglected it. They ran out of ideas and were like the only avenue left is a break up. The excuse for Tyler's absence that led to their break up, the whole Tyler is gone getting revenge thing, just seemed so unreal and unsatisfactory to me. Obviously, I haven't seen The Originals, so maybe if I saw Tyler's arc there, Tyler's actions and words here would make more sense to me and seem less like cheap filler words of off-screen action. Also, The Originals cameo was nice, but Klaus sleeping with Caroline would have been more impactful if it happened way back when their chemistry was most intense. You know?

3) DAMON RELATED AUGUSTINE STUFF. We can all agree that the introduction of this arc was downright lazy and stupid. It is probably the weakest moment of writing on the entire show. Damon just picks up a blood bag, and is all like "Cause I was number [random numbers]". I mean really? A lot of good came from this arc. I loved everything with Enzo and Aaron Whitmore. It was a nice moment when Elena found a kindred spirit in Aaron, someone more depressed than her. Enzo became pre-Elena Damon, which was fun. Sadly though, this arc made Damon, can I say, annoying? I feel like the writers wanted to reaffirm Stefan's good guy status this season, so they decided let's just pretend Damon didn't defeat his dark side but rather just hid it and surprise he's been killing Whitmores this whole time. It just felt so forced. And the killing spree when Katherine as Elena broke up with him, forced. And when he's suddenly good and calm again after real Elena returns, eye roll. Damon needed some vampire strength PMS pills. Hopefully this will be the last time that Damon regresses to bad guy status as it's just not believable anymore.

4) DELENA PROBLEMS. Another relationship that went from sizzling to sorry. First, audiences lost their attraction to Elena and we only wanted Delena to happen because we loved Damon. But the writers just couldn't let the couple breath. They tried so hard to justify the shift from Stelena to Delena that we never got to simply enjoy it. The constant talk of Damon being bad = annoying. The constant judging remarks of Caroline = annoying. The constant focus on the triangle = mega annoying.

5) TRAVELER DOPPLEGANGER MYTHOS. See, I really liked the Silas/Immortality/Qetsiyah/Amara/Anchor/Other Side stuff. So when Markos entered the picture and reinvented the purpose of dopplegangers for like a billionth time, I was super pissed. I feel like that negated and invalidated the entire Silas arc we just went through, And to be honest, I still don't understand this new layer (drawing dopplegangers together through the promise of love? What?). I'm gonna have to rewatch the ep where Markos explains the true TRUE purpose of dopplegangers. Also, this reveal felt like a rip off of when the sun and moon curse was revealed to be not what we thought it was.

Now, despite the sometimes poor execution of certain plot points, I accept them as part of the larger story as long as they make sense within the internal laws of the world. While the previous things were aggravating to watch play out, they were important that they happen to move the plot forward - minus Tyler being a loitering drinker. This whole season has been a huge transition for this show as they tied up all loose ends and anything that had to do with the past, culminating in the ultimate reboot. I will totally tune in next season and here's what I'm hoping for.

Top 5 things I look forward to next season (assuming Bonnie and Damon live):
1) LESS FOCUS ON COUPLE DRAMA. We had enough of that this season. That's it TVD. Please commit to Delena so we can quit the love triangle. It's over. The one who originally started their love competition, Katharine, is dead. The doppleganger stuff is over. Stefan and Elena will never be unwittingly forced together ever again. They already agreed to be friends. Stefan has a new love interest in Caroline. No more backtracking on this. It's over.

2) SOME PEACE. There was a lot of plot threads this season and a lot of bad guys. But now the oldest bad guys alive, Silas and Markos and Katharine are dead forever. So are the dead haunting witches who hate vampires and the travelers who hate witches (only old bad guy left is Klaus #waiting for his death). The lives of important people have been reset. So just a little peace, please.

3) NEW LOCATION. The Mystic Grill blew up! YES! Leave Mystic Falls. It's kind of a dump. All of you, go somewhere new.

4) TIME SKIP. The idea of Jeremy still going to high school is so laughable. Also, I want Matt to get a degree and work somewhere with a higher paycheck and requires more skills; doctor, lawyer, hunter, engineer, artist, tour guide, fast food manager, accountant, farmer. Anything, but no more bartender dealing with angsty loitering plot-less day drinkers.

5) SUPERNATURAL PEOPLE USING THEIR ABILITIES FOR PURPOSES OTHER THAN FIGHTING EACH OTHER. You know who's my fave person that's ever been killed on this show? That one vampire who had like ten masters degrees. He actually made good use of living forever. Can we have more sensible characters like him actually doing something with their life? Have them all live in third world villages, eating the dead and curing the sick. Great use of vampiric abilities right there.

Everyone cross your fingers for a time skip. Here's to season 6 starting fresh.
More+
Flag
Tyler & Caroline never had a strong relationship though (in my opinion).

They had no relationship at all in Seaosn 1 and didn't even really like each other and weren't friends (Tyler & Matt were friends). Caroline felt bad for Tyler and helped him out when he became a werewolf - but she was never honest with him through any of it (she lied about being the only vampire in town, how Damon had killed Mason, etc...). In Season 3 when they got together their relationship was just a string of hook-ups. They never had any meaningful conversations or anything that I can recall - they just had sex and not much else so that's why they were boring. Tyler was also off-screen and gone for the vast majority of the time they were together. Even in Seaosn 4 Caroline was way more loyal to Stefan than she was to Tyler (and that's been true since Season 2) - Caroline will almost always side with Stefan over Tyler.

Tyler & Caroline's entire relationship was basically them having sex or Caroline having a love-affair with Tyler's voice-mail while he was out of town and not much else. I never saw any substance to their relationship at all - just two supernatural beings who started hooking up because of their recent transition into monsters at the hands of Katherine.

I do agree that Klaus & Caroline having sex would have made more sense back when Klaus was actually living in Mystic Falls and actively pursing her. The timing was really weird.
More +
Flag
I was writing out an argument, but the more I think about it, the more I agree with you. Cheers to Stefan and Caroline. But, just to be clear, their relationship was always nice because it was friendship. But on TV, all fridnships eventually leas to romances. At first I was annoyed, but if the writers actually stick with it for the rest of the show, I'm all on board.
Flag
Agreed. I liked the idea of only having Caroline as Stefan's new Lexi, I didn't want it to be ruined by anything romantic. However, if they would be nice enough (and I know they aren't) to keep them happily together for the rest of the series I would be ok with them getting together, I just don't want them to start an annoying relationship so the writers can try and write MORE relationship drama into this show. Also I would kinda like at the end of both TVD and the Originals for Klaus and Caroline to be together, again I am not optimistic, but I really don't see how either show will end. It will undoubtedly be ridiculous and disappointing.
Flag
I don't think Markos reinvented the doppelgangers purpose. I remember Esther and Tessa saying that doppelganger blood is a powerful magical ingredient, so I guess he just used it to undo spirit magic. In this picture, that would mean that spirit magic is weaker of doppelganger's blood, I can be fine with that.
Flag
I actually really liked this episode as Stefan's death (no matter how temporary we knew it was) put some skin in the game and had the whole scooby gang clambering aboard the mystery machine in order to hatch a plan and bring him back. This is what I love best about TVD, firstly because it gets who whole cast into the episode and each of them have a job but it's also the perfect platform for Damon's snarky one liners we all love so much. Though it looks like he's got some competition on that front from Enzo and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of him next season.
I particularly loved Caroline snapping Luke's neck as I liked her and Damon teaming up to find Stefan and Elena last episode and she's now proven that when someone she cares about is in trouble she'll do whatever she needs to, it was very Damon like.
Bonnie and Damon holding hands to meet the unknown was also a nice touch and it took me back to he 70's decade dance in season two when they danced together and he showed he really did care by asking her if there was a way she could save everyone without sacrificing herself (recurring theme anyone). Poor Bonnie's role really is a sucky one but it's necessary in order to make the rest of the storyline work.
It was kind of inevitable that Damon wouldn't make it back. Elena had the season 3 cliffhanger by dying with vampire blood in her system, Stefan had season 4 with being locked in the safe so it's back to being Damon's turn and it had to be him as season 6 needs start out with Elena being on a mission to get him back and it wouldn't have been dramatic enough if it was anyone else.
I'm looking forward to season 6 but I'm hoping they figure something out for their locations as my biggest issue with this season was that we didn't have our recurring locations such as the Gilbert house, the Lockwood Mansion, the Grill and the usual town event scenes and I believe that really contributed to the disjointed feeling I was left with from episode to episode.
More+
Flag
I could hardly see the TV I was cringing so hard when Silus came back. Stoked he sucked into oblivion. I was worried they were gearing up to unleash him again next season.
Flag
... Is Lexi gone forever?

Of course not ! There are always flashbacks and bad wigs !
Flag
LONG LIVE BAD WIGS!!!
Flag
Uh, I DO NOT want Caroline & Stephan together! NOPE!
Flag
There are some things I don't get, maybe someone can fill me in?
Is Taylor human or werewolf now? Or does he have to kill to become a werewolf?
HOW can Sheriff Forbes survive an explosion doppelgängerbloodfilled superwitchtraveller did not survive?
And where did Marco come from the second time? Are all the travellers dead now or alive?
Wouldn't it have been a good time for Bonny to tell Lexi that she is gonna die anyway after Lexi defeated Marco?
Also, I guess it is a good thing noone in that bar was a smoker... Imagine that.
Well some of those are serious questions :) It was a good watch though, really just ... these things bother me. The same with the "what happened the week before" dialogue that is thrown in in like 5 sentences every week. I is always one more sarcastic "Did you forget that.. who is also trying to kill... and is the satanic boyfriend of ...goat"
Flag
It is explained in other comments that Tyler is a werewolf now, because that's not due to spirit magic. What doesn't make sense is that he has to activate his curse again.
Lexi understood Bonnie was to die, her worry was to make her die by passing through before Damon.
Flag
I was wondering the same thing about Tyler. Technically he died as a human, right ? so I don't even know why he was on the other side ?!
Or is that due to his "werewolf gene" ?
And like you said, he is a "non triggered" werewolf.

And yes it is funny that NOBODY was a smoker or even decided to light a candle or cook something (Sheriff Forbes promised free food afterall) ! ;)
Flag
There was a really cool moment where first Stephan said to Caroline his two most important people are Lexi and Damon and then Damon said (next scene) Elena is his most important person. This discrepancy is very beautiful and believable!

That finale was pretty cool, but whyy won't they bring back Lexi...
Kill Bonny and Sherif Forbes, give us Lexi. It is easy. Every time Bonny is in danger I can only think about her redeeming herself by heroicly dying to save someone else. It is like her signature move... but please: just stay dead!

Yay for Taylor not beeing a hybrid! This might be interesting. And for Alaric. And for Enzo! He could be a pretty sweet villain.
I really hoped for Kol to come back though... He's a cool guy and could tear stuff up in the originals. Did they really waste that opportunity?

This was fun overall !
Flag
S5 may not have been bad, but it was boring. I can take bad TV waaaay better than boring TV. S4 wasn't very good either to me, but I wasn't as bored as I was by this season. Silas was an annoying blowhard, but The Travelers were just weak sauce to me.
That said, the finale was good. I'm SO glad Alaric is back..and Enzo! I am hopeful that S6 is invigorated with the "new" characters: Ric, Enzo & The Twins. I am hopeful that the writers will tell solid, entertaining stories that make me watch live every week rather than catching up on Hulu/DVR/whatever when I can get to it.
Once again, SO glad Ric is back!!
Flag
"S5 may not have been bad, but it was boring. I can take bad TV waaaay better than boring TV. S4 wasn't very good either to me, but I wasn't as bored as I was by this season." - Agree 100%
Flag
I agree. So boring that I only got around to watching the finale last night - and no one managed to spoil it for me, either. That's a very bad sign. They need a spark, something to reinvigorate the show. I'd love to think that's Ric but, eh. I think they needed to actually kill some people and see where that put everyone.

oh and I do not get what people see in the Twins. I mean, i get that Price thinks Luke is hot but COME ON they are useless and annoying. I was so irritated neither of them bit it.
Flag
I shed a tear for the mystic grill.
DO you guys realize that DAMON'S CAR is gone? Like there's no way of it coming back. Sad face.
Joking aside, great finale. Vey heartbreaking but it was hilarious seeing all the delena fans reactions.
Price, thank you so much for all your recaps this season. I looked forward to them every week. WE LOVE YOU.
Here's to season 6
Flag
So, as it has been mentioned about a million times over the last few seasons, Bonnie has pretty much been turned into a glorified deus ex machina... And because the writers didn't seem to care much about her.. neither did I. I could have taken or left her this entire show.. She bored me to tears, I felt no chemistry from her and Jeremy (and still think Jer would be better off with Liv) and the inconsistency with her being the anchor and not mentioning anything about Kat not crossing over was just a plot hole too huge and obvious for me to set aside and ignore...

However with all that said, I have to admit that I felt genuinely bad for Bonnie in this episode.. and even with her being used as a plot device AGAIN, it was a testament to Kat Graham's acting and the writing in this episode that for the first time ever I really cared about her and what was going to happen to her.. She was very strong in this episode, and I was proud of Bonnie.. I LOVED the scene with her and Silas, haha "BYGONES" take that MF!...I had been kind of annoyed at the prospect of Silas coming back, and totally did not expect him to get sucked off into the darkness before that could happen... But yeah, I actually care about Bonnie now, crazy right?
More+
Flag
This episode made me feel badly for all the times I joked about Bonnie's irrelevance or laughed at how shabbily her friends treat her. Too far. She killed it this episode, and then no one but Jeremy even noticed she was gone. Elena's all falling apart over Damon, doesn't even SAY GOODBYE to her "best friend." Lovely girl.
Flag
I feel the same way about everything you just said re: Bonnie.
Flag
I love underdogs... I've always loved/pitied Bonnie because of that. This season I actually loved her more thanks to Kat Graham's acting! The last scene, or even when Stefan died, she delivered moving performances for me at least
Flag
My feelings exactly.
Flag
I couldn't be MORE with you on the whole Bonnie thing. Seriously!
Flag
I know that the previous seasons had their share of bad storytelling but this was definitely the worst season so far.
Flag
Actually if that was the season finale for the FINAL season, that would be pretty awesome too. Not knowing if they found peace or get sucked oblivion before even finishing Damon's sentence. The cinematography, lighting, music, they were all great! I could already imagine julieplec lauging at Delena fans and Damon stans (including me) becoming emotionally unstable for the rest of their lives not knowing what happened after the words I don't kno---. TVD Team did a great job.
Flag
hey, if this had been the series finale I'd have loved it. Damon and Bonnie find peace, Stefan might not die alone (although I still dislike Steroline), Matt/Jeremy/Tyler are fine and join a frathouse and Elena spends the rest of her days hysterically wailing while rocking back and forth and bemoaning her lack of love interests.
Flag
HaHaaa..."How perfectly does this image sum up the show? A sister standing over her brother's corpse while a couple of girls check their Samsungs in the background. Pretty much!"....that's funny as hell and totally true. This show has, at times, seemed like one long ass advertisement for cell phones combined with a kind of nonchalant attitude towards death, so that screencap was sheer perfection
Flag
Don't forget about Bing searches.
Flag
What bothers me is why Elena was SO WORRIED that she'll die human when she knows she's still supernatural even if she's human. She's a DOPPELGANGER. she might had the chance to become human again like Tyler since he died human, but she died as a vampire (or maybe not?) Season 6, bring it on! :)

Anyway, that was a sad, effective, brutal, and fantastic season finale,
will miss reading your recaps for 5 months!
Flag
worst part is that Tyler is back from the deag but Damon is not, i know he will come back but still, why return f**** Tyler?
Flag
1. Will Jasmine Guy save the day? If that's the loophole to bring back Bonnie and Damon then yes, if you want to call it "saving".
2. Is Lexi gone forever? "Forever" in the TVD sense, which means, "unless we decide to bring her back for whatever reason"? Yes.
3. Will Alaric get a job at the college? Yes. Why not? It requires teaching at most two class sessions per semester.
4. Should the Mystic Falls citizens think long and hard about returning? You mean, all 20 of them? Or is that too optimistic a number...

So enjoy all your recaps, Price! Thank you for making the TVD season so much better.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members