A The Vampire Diaries Community
Friday 8:00 PM on The CW

The first trailer for The Vampire Diaries's sixth season has arrived, and it's business as usual in Mystic Falls/Mystic Falls-adjacent! Which is to say that everything is crazy and Elena's doing something stupid.

We knew that after the Season 5 finale, when the Other Side collapsed and Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Bonnie (Kat Graham) were seemingly lost forever, that things would be rough for the friends and family who were left behind. But we never saw it going this far. 

Stefan (Paul Wesley) appears to have given up hope that his brother can be saved, Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) is drinking to dull the pain of losing his girlfriend, and Elena (Nina Dobrev)... well, why don't you press play on the trailer below to see for yourself what our esteemed heroine is up to.

Oh boy. Elena is on drugs, guys. And not just normal teenage drugs, but magical drugs that allow her to hallucinate Damon. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, given Elena's attendance record in high school. She probably missed every single one of those "Dare to Keep Kids Off Drugs" programs. 

I suppose she probably also doesn't have much time to watch TV shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which revealed the many dangers of Magic Addiction (it's a thing). Here's hoping Caroline sits her down and knocks some common sense into her.

The Vampire Diaries returns Thursday, October 2 on The CW.

TV.com's 2014 Fall Preview:
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

95 Comments
Comments (95)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
i agree the last few seasons have been down hill. the whole Silas thing is where they started to lose me. and the season i have been waiting for when Elena and Damon are together, she is Kathrine most of the time. they need to step it up big time and bring it back to where it was in season 2(my favorite). but i do still love Elena and i always will so seeing all the haiting really sucks, and of course she is crying and still trying to see Damon any girl in her right mind would be!
Flag
Ok I'm still watching TVD because I do think the show still has potential but seeing this promo, it looks like this potential is definitely not to be found in Elena.
Caroline, Stefan and even Bonnie (the constant deus ex machina of the show, poor girl) and Damon are the only ones that keep me around at this point. Also, does the writing staff know there are other people out there that don't watch a show for a particular pairing but because of its characters and plotlines? So thanks for taking the rest of us into account while promoting your show!
Honestly I'm so tired of seeing her whiny self (come on writers don't you have anything better to give to your extremely talented lead actress?) and the rest of the world revolving around her and her grief as if the others didn't feel pain throughout their lives. Also her best friend died will she ever acknowledge that? Yeah I know the answer is no!
I know she's the main character, I know it's supposed to be this way but I wish the writers actually gave us a reason to root for her again.
Will she ever become a grown up woman with agency at one point of the story and not being constantly reduced to someone's love interest? I know I'm harsh because this promo is short and it doesn't reveal much (which is better off this way). Plus it's obvious they have to explore her grief but didn't we do that alrealdy do that for like 5 seasons? Hopefully we'll get to see more of her individual journey this season and not something that's entirely boy-related cause that's what killed her character, in my humble opinion, and for that reason, I wish we would have at least a break from Delena for a little while so the characters would finally get the chance to "live" and evolve seperately. Looks like my wish won't be fulfilled. We'll have a remake of Twilight instead, such a treat...

More+
Flag
I am so over Elena and TVD at this point. This 30 second clip just continues to solidify why I believe that "The Originals" is a much more solid show (plus the acting is better). We have Elena still moping around about Damon (whom I love her with), but not showing any real concern over Bonnie (maybe that will change, but I doubt it). Bonnie has been the "whipping boy" of this show from the start. She is the person that continuously loses something due to her trying to fix the messes that THEY themselves created.

This show seems as if it is stuck in "teen storylines" and that is not doing it any favors. It's time for progression or just end it after this season. I'm sure most people have migrated more towards "The Originals" anyway b/c there is too much teen drama on TVD that forever exist.
Flag
i am so done with elana.
Flag
You and me both.
Flag
After S5, I removed TVD from my watching list, the shark jump was way too much to continue watching. This trailer only reassured me that I did the right thing.
Flag
It's kind of funny, Elena turned to Katherine and Katherine became Elena. The worst part is Elena's constant crying is driving the viewers away, I've refused to watch the spin off because of it.
Flag
Well, that was awful, just when I though we were going to have a break from Delena and bam! Our dear Elena is hallucinating Damon, of course she is.
Seriously, as bad as last season was, I was expecting something different this season, but it looks like the same crap and this time without Katherine to carry the first half of the season in her shoulders.
So while we wait for the "emotional" Delena reunion which I guess will happen on January, we'll still be lucky enough to get Delena moments, great!
Oh well, we still have recaps to check every week if something happens that is reason enough to watch this show again.
Flag
Staff
Nah, it'll probably happen in November sweeps.
Flag
ok this is (by "this" i mean Elena doing some bad ,totally wrong,dangerous,unlike her character shit to see Damon) is so similar to Bella's doing dangerous,adrenaline junkie stuff to see or hear Edward.
Flag
They definitely took that from Twilight and Buffy did a similar thing if my memory serves. Hopefully this SL won't last long and the story will move forward.
Flag
What did Buffy do?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Watch as Bella Elena does everything and more to bring Damon back and let Bonnie behind to rot again. I miss the time when Julie Plec wasn't such a Delena fangirl, it ruined the show and Elena's personality.
Flag
I want Katherine back.
Flag
I miss being excited for a new season of TVD.
Flag
That's what happens when they turn good characters into junkies.
Flag
Nobody will be surprised when Damon and Bonnie return to Mystic Falls. It would've had a bigger impact if they didn't constantly kill characters off and bring them back only two episodes later. The only question that crosses my mind right now is how? I know Elena is sad and heartbroken, devestated even but come on girl, this is Mystic Falls. You should know the drill right now and everyone outside of Mystic Falls loves Damon, so he'll be back.
Flag
I think Damon makes the show.
Flag
If they bring back Katherine, I'll give the other two a pass ;)
Flag
They use to do the same with Sam and Dean in Supernatural. Dean is dead now and a Demon and Sam knows how to drive the demo out now but it can kill him.... I wonder what happens next ;)
Flag
The difference is the action keeps that show going!! The Ladies (ha) love the bro-romance.
Flag
They always kill characters and bring them back .... its annoying
but for Damon i think i can make an exception.
Flag
will this show ever gonna go away?
Flag
although am loving the originals ..
i still think separating them from the vampire diaries is bad idea
they were the good kind of drama in the vampire diaries
now its just the same drama repeating itself
Flag
Plot is better in TVD, but character are better in Originals.
But it is annoying that no one stays dead.
Elena is fvcking annoying, she starts to remind me of Bella from Twilight.
Flag
One difference is that in the originals the characters aren't pretending to be the good guys, and actually know and admit they are mostly selfish psychos. TVD (and Elena) wouldn't be nearly as annoying if they stopped patting each other on the back for having moral compasses (LOL) and pretending they're doing the right thing when they would kill absolutely everyone on the planet to keep each other alive.
Flag
Right? I can't understand how they can defend each other, when some of them, like Stefon, have killed hundreds of people. Okay he wasn't himself, but how they can guarantee that it wont happen again? Clearly they moral compass isn't so good after all.
I enjoy TVD, but it's logic sometimes makes my head spin
Flag
OMG the writers are idiots i think this is what's happening in the writers room:
Head Writer: who is the most popular character that everyone loves ?
Everyone: Kathrine .
Head Writer: Kill her off, and what do people hate the most ?
Everyone: Elena doing something stupid.
Head Writer: we need more of that.
now the next thing for them is to kill Caroline since she's the only reason for me and for a lot of people to watch the next season.
Flag
There is still hope.
Since Damon will probably revive, it gives a chance for Katherina to come back with him. Kill off Elena for good, and put Katherina as main character.
Flag
They need to bring Katherina back and make her stake Elena for good
Flag
And cut her head off so she really can't come back.
Flag
I stopped watching early on in the fifth season (couldn't be bothered anymore), but does ANYONE ever really die in this series (except for Jenna, I suppose she's still dead)?? The stakes are just too low: you just cannot really connect to the sadness and anger of these people, because you just know the people who supposedly died come back anyway, so there's no need for the neverending sobbing and drama. This makes watching this show less and less interesting. Oh well, maybe I'll give it another try. I did that before, after I stopped watching halfway through the third or fourth season and it payed out for a while, but just not for long. Too bad.
Flag
The hot ghost chick Anna did.
Flag
Ah, I forgot about her! I actually liked that character. Jeremy's girlfriend back then, right?
But still, when a maincharacter dies, they always come back.
Flag
I'm still surprised they haven't killed Matt yet.
Flag
Ugh
Flag
MTE
Flag
Lol, if Damon was my boyfriend I would want to hallucinate him too! :P
Flag
Please let this be the last season! I'm not even watching it for the show anymore, but for the music they play during every sobbing scene. They have good music, but that's just about it.
Flag

Elena is talking inspiration from Bella Swan now? Have the writers been filling themselves with "New Moon" by any chance?
Flag
And True Blood.

Tara's mother & cousin just went through the same ordel to come to terms with the fact that, the worst thing that ever happened to Tara, happened as a human child on her 7th birthay. Not as a vampire.
Flag
Now, that I read the wole article: this was also done on Buffy?!
Flag
Staff
The Buffy reference was to Willow's addiction to dark magic in season 6.
Flag
True (I completely forgot)!
Flag
They had to 'switch OFF' Elena during her brothers grief but he came back in the end. All that character development down the drain. Now they have her 'using' to get over Damon, pretty sure he will be coming back too!

If she is such a strong character [as Nina likes to state in interviews] why is she not learning from her past grief, pulling up her big girl designer panties and getting on with her life!

The girl is living in the past....the past is pretty soon going to comeback and they will gloriously screw . Why not make Elena look towards the future, live it, then make the past comeback to complicate matters....it would have been more original than copying other source matieral!
Flag
Honestly this sounds interesting but im not sure if I wanna endure the nonsense and sheer fuckery this show produces anymore.
Flag
Why I torture myself with this show is beyond me.
Flag
Giving Elena a drug problem might be interesting but not if she starts to deal with Damon's and Bonnie's disappearance without "magic drugs" before they return because then their disappearance/supposed death was all for nothing except meaningless drama.
Flag
Oh maybe Elena hasn't watched Buffy, but Julie Plec definitely has... There have been so many "homages" lately... (and to quote Cordelia Chase "I used sarcastic quote marks")
Flag
My favourite part is that she's taking the hallucinogenic drug to see her beloved Damon... but not her best friend Bonnie lol
Flag
That's why I can't with TVD and Elena anymore.
Flag
Staff
I actually laughed at this. Thanks for pointing that out. Just another instance where Bonnie gets shit on.
Flag
I wonder how long they will keep up the charade of Damon and bonnie being gone
Flag
5 episodes probably.
Flag
Whattttt, this show wasn't canceled?
Flag
^Thats like being surprised that water makes things wet.
Flag
And TV's worst relationship digs an even deeper hole. Awesome...
Flag
last season was pretty darn bad. Don't even know if I'll tune in for this one.
Flag
I agree. Last season was pretty pathetic.
Flag
seriously, am giving this new season a few episodes before i decide if i should just ditch it.
Flag
"everything is crazy and Elena's doing something stupid" &---- I love this! TVD hasn't even started yet and things are already hilarious in Mystic Falls. And of course knowing the insanity on this show, this blood drug or whatever that Elena is on will end up leading them to rescuing Damon and Bonnie from the other side. Jeremy will proceed to cry and resume his shirtless karate hunting. Stefan will go all broody and guilt ridden for being so quick to give up on Damon. Not cool bro.

I just keep reminding myself that Colin Ferguson is going to be in this season, and Alaric will be back, so it's got to be great! Right?
Flag
Staff
Hey, don't knock the shirtless karate hunting.
Flag
NEVER! 😋
Flag
I didn't know that Sheriff Carter will visit Mystic Falls. I hope his character won't be boring as most of the guest characters on TVD.
Flag
It's interesting that Alaric's not featured at all in this trailer, you'd think the producers would want to use him as a major pull to get fans that have stopped watching to come back... Perhaps they are saving him for trailers closer to the premiere date.
Flag
I was just as surprised at the lack of Alaric too! Maybe they're saving him for the premiere since everyone has been in a depression since his death. Either way, Alaric and Colin Ferguson should breathe some like into Mystic Falls....

I hope lol.
Flag
Life* lol
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
So does Elena even care about Bonnie being dead or is it just Damon Damon Damon all the time.

No wait, don't even answer that.
Flag
And how disturbed was Caroline when Bonnie died the first time?

How stupid was Caroline and Bonnie to not realize that Elena was Katherine?

The Elena bashing is getting more tiring than Julie Plec's writing.
Flag
Everyone was stupid for not realizing Kat was Elena.She wasn't even trying to hide it.
Flag
I actually still very much like Elena, and I have no intention of bashing (only) her... but I also feel like her relationship with Damon took over her entire character (or rather, the entire show) to the point where honestly, it's just painful to watch. They broke up like five times this past season and we got to watch Elena cry and be miserable about it over and over and over again... it's got to stop. Oh yes, this comes from someone who used to LOVE the idea of them being together, and couldn't wait for it to happen... then bad writing ensued and now I just wish we could move on from them and never return.

And honestly, I don't remember how disturbed any of them were about Bonnie the last time. All I remember is Tyler showing up at the funeral and Caroline forgetting everything. Is that what you're referring to? If yes, I completely agree. Same with the no one realizing Elena was Katherine thing... I was actually just thinking about the fucked up-ness of that last night.
Flag
as much as Caroline did last season.Don't you remember how miserable she was after Bonnie's funeral?
Flag
She was miserable for all of 3 seconds, before all her attention was diverted to Tyler, and that was the end of that.

The only person visibly upset was Jeremy, and the only other person to consistently remember that Bonnie was dead was Damon, who was the one to cook up a plan to bring her back to life.

From this trailer, I think it's normal for Elena to be losing it; what is more surprising that Stefan isn't the least bit upset that his brother is dead and gone.
Flag
I actually don't remember... most of season five is a blur for me to be honest. I remember Tyler showing up in the middle of the funeral and Caroline being overjoyed about it, which I found weird at the time, and that's it. But I have absolutely no doubt that EVERYONE reacted completely inappropriately to Bonnie's death, not just Elena.
Flag
I used to like Bonnie,but at this point I say it would be better if they killed her off not because I don't like her but because they've turned her into a doormat. Actually,all the girls are written like they can't exist without a love interest. Shame.But what really bothers me about Bonnie is that the writers say she's a strong woman and they don'twrite her as one.
can't u tell that this girl has just lost her bff?

Flag
I am so retiring from watching Supernatural/Horror and Action/Adventure and Fantasy for sure with Tv and Films...

Because they always recycled the love connection from their stories.... And have it just only on one thing this and that all time... Not have it as a couple work together as a team stop evil darkness forces... Even when they're madly in love with each other...

I am not saying every story should be a love story and all... But it seems lately it's not into all the programs/projects released at all... And I think that's not playing fair at all what's so ever...
Flag
I am so going to stick with watching Action/Crime for sure with Tv and Films...

You want know why?

It's because
- (1) - they're so opposite to Supernatural/Horror and Action/Adventure and Fantasy... And it's actually is Science Fiction/Sci-Fi, Action/Crime and Mystery at better terms!!

- (2) - They actually do care for relationships from the start to end... There is no supernatural/horror and action/adventure off again/on again story terms with Action/Crime really... They're well fine together and working as team stop bad guys/villains together...

- (3) - They actually do care about marriages, family and friends with Action/Crime unlike Supernatural/Horror and Action/Adventure...
Flag
True Blood is doing the exact same thing right now with Tara
Flag
The same thing with Tara's mom.

Lettie Mae was addicted to her abusive relationship just like Salvatores were addicted to Katherine, it made Tara felt so powerless to protect her mom as a child, that she couldn't move on until her mother realized - and made Tara realize - it was a mother job to protect the child.

As the woman who couldn't be without a man, Lettie Mae finally had the gut to do so. As a powerful member of the Northman clan - with Godric's, Eric's and Pamela's blood running through her veins - it was Lettie Mae's blood that called Tara's home.

But True Blood tends to be poetic like that.
Flag
I'm pretty sure that storyline's done, thank god.
Flag
yeah, and it was utterly pointless
Flag
'Elena is on drugs, guys. And not just normal teenage drugs, but magical drugs that allow her to hallucinate Damon.' So, it's Twilight all over again
Flag
The only thing that had me excited for season six is a fresh new start for the show. And then I see this trailer where all the characters are just sad and dwelling on what happened last season... Hopefully this trailer only shows stuff from the first few minutes, and then we get the four month time jump. I really wanted to see the characters move on while Damon and Bonnie tries to fight their way back.
Flag
I'm pumped for this season I'm hopping that this show can find it's direction and get back of it path of greatness.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members