A The Vampire Diaries Community
Friday 8:00 PM on The CW

The Vampire Diaries S05E09: "The Cell"

Sometimes in life you just have to accept the ridiculous in order to enjoy yourself. Which can be difficult seeing as nearly 100 percent of everything is straight-up ridiculous. Who came up with the idea for gravity? Like, sure, let's all cling upside-down on a giant orb for half the day, that's a great idea. Or water. That is wet, invisible nonsense. And guess what is currently hiding inside each of us? A SKELETON. Forget about skeletons in the closet, the one inside your body is the biggest creep of them all. But the thing is, if you dwell on these ridiculous ideas you might miss out on the finer aspects of life. By which of course I am referring to teen supernatural dramas, and specifically The Vampire Diaries.

This week's episode "The Cell" was very terrific so long as you could accept at least three ludicrous things as no big deal. Like how humans are suddenly so much more powerful than supersonic supersensory superstrong vampires, provided they have a dinky syringe of vervain on them. Or the fact that Damon had experienced five years straight of torture underneath Whitmore College but he didn't tell anybody about it, and also seemed to have forgotten about it entirely seeing as he was just trouble-free chillin' on campus for several weeks without having any flashbacks. Also, dragging an enormous safe out of the forest and leaving it on someone's front porch is just a normal thing that happens in Mystic Falls. See what I'm saying? All of these things were ridiculous as h*ck yet if you could refrain from questioning them you got some of the richest and best storytelling of the season so far. "The Cell" was a very good episode! Let's talk about it.

We began with a tiny bit of a fakeout: The exterior of the Salvatore Shanty looking surprisingly warm and inviting—if slightly sepia-toned—and also there was an African-American maid and a TV with some kind of cryptic lettering on it. OH WAIT THIS WAS THE 1950s! 

Damon came in dressed like one of the Drapes from Cry-Baby and I guess one of his human relatives was living here at the moment so they got to doing what Salvatores do best: STABBING.

It was just a whole lot of stabbing! The explanation was that the uncle/cousin/whatever had sold Damon into science, which is a very rude thing to do. So Damon shoved a glass into the dude's neck and then ANOTHER dude came out and syringed Damon. I mean, I don't know, the '50s were a rough time for everybody but especially the maid.

Then it was present day and Damon had stopped having the flashback just in time to realize that history was repeating itself!

Oh, Dr. Wes, you scoundrel. Just kidding, I mean I know he's a villain but I liiiiike him sorry. Damon did NOT like him though, so he just sort of laid on that filthy floor all frowning because he was already over it.

Speaking of over it:

HAHAHA I will never get tired of this show making fun of what a dumb device diaries are. Except, you know, even making fun of diaries STILL counts as relying on diary voiceovers for exposition. It's seriously so strange that of all things, Season 5 has decided to exhume THIS artifact. Were viewers really THAT nostalgic for early Season 1? If so let's just skip the diaries and bring back Tiki or Matt's mom. But yeah, back to the diary device, I realize that times are tough when one or more of the Salvatores is locked in a dungeon and the show can't have a top-of-the-episode expositional cell phone convo like usual, but oh well. At least we got the sight of Katherine writing in a diary and essentially lampooning Elena. Just to provide you with some foreshadowing for the rest of this review, Katherine's plotline is by far the best thing about this episode and also season. Let's just get that out of the way up front.

Anyway, then the doorbell rang. It was Caroline!

So yeah, this was crazy. The idea was that Stefan was still dealing with PTSD from drowning in a safe all summer, so Caroline decided that she would cure him with some safe-therapy. But it was like, how did she get that enormous safe over to the house? (Also, did the safe get bigger somehow?) Caroline mentioned something vague about her mom helping her get the safe there but that honestly just raised even more questions. And now I'm even wondering how Stefan got that safe to the quarry in the first place? Anyway, forget about the circumstances of how the safe gets anywhere, just accept that a vampire teen brought a several-ton safe to Stefan's front porch for therapy purposes.

Meanwhile at Whitmore College, Aaron was dealing with the "suicide" of his roommate Jesse, which had brought the suicide rate of his circle of friends to a solid 100%. It was some pretty sick irony that the lady who MURDERED Jesse was standing there trying to commiserate with him, but even Elena couldn't keep up the charade of sympathy for very long and she was already asking him for a personal favor right away. See, her boyfriend wasn't answering her texts!

Meanwhile in the '50s we really started to get a sense of just how badly Damon was treated by the mad doctor Whitmore.

Yep, lots of eye-stabbing and onto-floor-throwing. Ugh, the '50s.

Meanwhile Aaron agreed to help Elena find Dr. Maxfield but was chagrinned when he led her into the Whitmore House, which of course she needed to be invited into. But then, surprisingly, Aaron was able to invite her in because HE OWNED IT.

Haha this was also very ridiculous, the idea that (1) Elena didn't know Aaron's last name was WHITMORE, and (2) he had been trying to keep his family heritage on the down-low. Sure. That is such teen fantasy right there, the secretly wealthy hunk who doesn't want people to know about his family's prominence because they'll treat him differently. NOPE. In real life this guy would've been telling every co-ed within a hundred miles just who he was and getting soooo laid. Also I just don't believe that the only living heir to the recently murdered college founders' family could be anonymous EVEN IF HE WANTED TO. He'd be in all the papers, he'd be giving memorial speeches, everyone would be rallying around him for support. Like, I know that TV logic is important, and that characters remain silent when they're not on camera, and everybody lives in a vacuum or whatever. But sometimes it would be nice if people seemed real? Just a thought.

Then Elena saw her own father in a framed photograph in Aaron's house. What were you UP TO, Grayson? But before she could think too hard about it, Dr. Maxfield ran down the stairs and shot her up with vervain.

Aaron seemed surprised by this! It was probably fair to assume maybe he knew more than he'd let on about the existence of vampires, but nope. He had been completely in the dark about that. So in a quick but amusing beat, Dr. Maxfield sort of brought him up to speed real quick and gave him some reading materials to help.

That's always the problem with adding new characters to a long-running serial: It's hard to be invested in a character with no awareness of the overall mythology (see: April). It's like, get out of here dummy, you're in over your head. So at least Aaron will now become a more interesting character after learning the truth. Hopefully?

Meanwhile it was time to REALLY dig into Damon's experiences from 60 years prior. The big thing to know was that he had a friend in the dungeon. 

Meet Enzo! So, the thing is, everybody knows that one of the major reasons for flashback episodes on TVD (aside from wigs) is they always introduce a new character who will later appear in the present day. Pretty much always, yeah. So it's with great pleasure to inform you that Enzo is GREAT. He was some Italian dude who'd fought in WWII and became a test subject for the Augustines. Also he gave some monologue about falling in love with a nurse who'd worked there or something, which I'm guessing is only important because we'll be meeting her too someday? I don't know. But Enzo was handsome and he and Damon were insta-besties, that's really the main thing to know about Enzo.

I loved this moment between Katherine and Caroline. Caroline was trying to read a Psychology for Dummies book and Katherine just immediately accused her of having tingly sensations toward Stefan. Which I think is very possible! Caroline and Stefan are definitely both single now. However, I prefer to think that Katherine wasn't simply sexually harassing Caroline, she was actually trying to make sure she wouldn't be hurting Caroline's feelings if she decided to make a move on Stefan herself. That's MY theory anyway.

But yeah, so far Stefan's safe therapy wasn't working and he was fake-drowning so much. That's when Katherine stepped up with a very good idea. TO BE CONTINUED.

Meanwhile in the '50s Damon was still trying to get answers about why he'd been locked up and tortured so much.

Dr. Whitmore mentioned something about regeneration, and trying to isolate the science behind vampirism or something kind of uninspiring. But then we learned that the WEIRDEST part of his studies involved inviting his prisoners to an annual New Year's Eve party where he made them stand in a cage and also feed their blood to partygoers.

So uh, yeah. The Augustines were definitely a bunch of weirdos. Like, drinking vampire blood I maybe can understand. The human body is a joke and constantly breaking down, so sure, give me a few drops of that cure-all. But pouring vampire blood into a champagne flute pyramid? That's just rich person madness.

Meanwhile in the present day, a couple of blonde hunks were getting real. By that I mean Dr. Maxfield finally clued Aaron in about how his parents had died.

Haha Aaron relax. By the way, I get that "animal attack" is the all-purpose explanation for vampire murders, but it's also something that makes less and less sense anytime I think about it. WHAT KIND OF ANIMAL, detectives? Is that in the report? Do the bite marks match up with anything in those woods? A fanged baboon maybe? What about DNA evidence? I don't know, nevermind. Aaron got mad and punched Dr. Maxfield in the face which made ME so mad. Leave his face alone, you sad-sack trustafarian!

MEANWHILE. LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED NEXT.

Katherine went INTO the safe with Stefan! The logic was that his PTSD would turn him into a Ripper-esque mess and having a human nearby would spell certain doom for that human. So Katherine banked on his ability to overcome those impulses with his innate sense of heroism. Which yes, that is Stefan's dichotomy: Mass murderer AND hero. It's not a contradiction, it's just his spectrum. So this was the one way I feel like Katherine's suicidal tendencies paid off, unlike last week's lazy attempt at pathos. She wasn't explicitly trying to kill herself, she was merely saying that if she DID happen to die during this exercise, oh well. That's definitely different than throwing yourself off a clock tower because your long lost vampire daughter cut you a stank-face. So yeah, Katherine being in the safe with Stefan = GENIUS.

Speaking of genius:

Back in the day Stefan and Enzo had worked out an escape plan, and it meant that Enzo would let Damon drink his thimble of blood each day so that Damon could grow stronger and bust them both out during a New Year's Eve party. And he did it! (By disgustingly breaking his hand on camera in order to slip some shackles.) Anyway, that's when the night REALLY got started.

Unfortunately during the carnage Damon accidentally set everything on fire and Enzo's cage bars were too hot to touch.

And that's when Damon flipped off his emotions-switch and bounced.

Elena did NOT like this story, and fair enough. It made Damon look very bad! Because poor Enzo! But also, they'd had a deal. (Which makes sense; all characters introduced in flashbacks need to reappear with an angry agenda.) I will say that the entire element of these two powerful vampires being unable to break out of their cells over a 5 year period was hard to believe. Yes, they were weakened by vervain, but even a weak human should be able to overpower a scrawny doctor with a syringe and bustle out of the cell right? Plus Damon had been drinking twice as much blood as the doctor knew about, so couldn't he have made a move sooner? I don't know, I just felt like we've seen vampires get vervained in the past and they usually bounce back and get things done pretty soon afterward. This whole imprisonment situation felt inconsistent to me. But again, just gotta accept it and move on.

BECAUSE THIS WAS HAPPENING:

Katherine went from making Stefan infuriated about her presence to close-talking and breathing with him and nurturing him and it worked and he was cured and oh man SO GOOD. Katherine the schemer, using her skills for good. But not just GOOD. Something sort of epic. As ridiculous as it was that the safe was on the Salvatores' living room floor, it was all worth it to have this scene happen. One of the series' finest. 

And of course Caroline accidentally (?) cock-blocked them. But still, that look between Stefan and Katherine shortly after?

Amazing. Amazing. The best. 

So after Aaron punched Dr. Maxfield's perfect face, he stole a gun out of the safe and went to the dungeon to find out which of these vampires killed his parents.

And that was the twist: DAMON HAD DONE IT. Even though it had only happened last summer!

The reason for that was because his main coping mechanism during his imprisonment was the dream of someday getting out and systematically murdering the Whitmore descendants forever onward. So even though he'd been out of the dungeon for 55 years he'd been secretly keeping this promise to himself, including the time earlier that summer when he apparently left Elena's bosom to go murder Aaron's parents. Which, again, if Whitmore murderizin' remained so fresh in Damon's mind, then why was he so taken by surprise that the Augustine stuff was still going on in the exact same locations?

And that's when, for the first time in her life, Elena suddenly disapproved of murder. 

And for the record, so did Aaron.

So yeah. Not sure this is quite as major a reveal as it was supposed to be. (Because who cares about Aaron OR his parents? And also Damon has been a murderer for hundreds of years, deal w/it.) But between this and Enzo's "death" it was clear that Elena was suddenly troubled by Damon's actions and maybe Caroline had been right about him. I don't know! But this is a soap involving a love triangle so it stands to reason Elena and Damon will be breaking up at some point before the final season's mad dash toward OTP endgame. Was this the beginning of that?

Who cares, because:

YES.

YESSSSS. YES YES YES.

All right, look, one gripe: The tone of this episode treated Stefan and Katherine's hookup as some kind of funny fling. Like, 'Look at this wild hookup!' But if you've been watching this show since the beginning, then the idea of Stefan and Katherine coming together like this isn't just some minor or meaningless thing. This is, like, premise-rattling. Forget that Elena is the main character; Katherine is the CATALYST for the entire PREMISE of the show. She had such a rich and anguished history with the Salvatores. Her shadow loomed over all of Season 1 and culminated in one of the great twists in modern TV. Her arc from supervillain to sad hobo has been the richest and most surprising in the show's run. This hookup was not some fun lark or some trashy rebound. These are two broken people who get each other more than any other characters on the show. Now that they've hooked up I pretty much don't want to see either of them be with anyone else? But then the tone of this hookup (complete with lusty music and a throw-caution-to-the-wind apathy) made me think that this was just a temporary stop or a footnote in each person's journey. I really hope not. Stefan and Katherine's love (then hate, and now maybe future love) just feels so much more epic than a one-off fling. I'm really hoping this wonderful turn of events will be explored and deepened. I would love to see someone as hardened and jaded as Katherine dissolve into a romantic, thus completing her re-humanization at which point she could become the new main character of the show instead of Elena. I would ALSO love to see Stefan actually get into it with someone as dynamic and independent as Katherine. But knowing this season, I'm just not sure it'll be giving us what we want. But seriously credit where credit's due: This turn of events was tremendous. So good.

So then Damon woke up from his head-wound and Elena was gone! She was in the laboratory next door strapped to a table.

So yeah, Enzo was back. I would've added an exclamation mark to that statement but DUH, of course he was back, that's how flashback characters work. Still though, Enzo is crazy-likable. Just a good addition to the show, I hope he stays awhile! He'll definitely need awhile to get caught up on all the new cell phones and Windows tablets and Mi-Fi gadgets. Welcome to the future, Enzo!

"The Cell" was very, very entertaining for many reasons. Damon looks good as a greaser; Enzo seems very promising; the Augustine society remains very intriguing; Dr. Maxfield's face; and most of all KATHERINE (and Stefan). That last element was the most important, mostly because Katherine is the best, but also now that Stefan has fallen for her (hopefully?), it is the most I've liked his character in a while. I mean, he was fine, he's the romantic lead and frequently the hero, but now that his heart is making these good decisions I'm way more invested in his inner workings. The show is always doing this: Forcing us to shift our sympathies from one Salvatore to the other, much like Elena does. Or at least, that seems to be the intention anyway. At this point I like both guys and am interested in their journeys. Whatever mistakes this season has made (ugh, Silas), at least it's kept us very invested in these core characters and has gotten back on track with a fresh-seeming storyline. Only one more episode until the mid-season hiatus! What could possibly go wrong?

OK G2G

*rollerblades into a hedge*

QUESTIONS

... Was the Stefan-Katherine kiss everything or EVERYTHING?

... OR are you holding out hope for a Stefan-Caroline thing?

... Enzo: Thumbs up or THUMBS UP?

... Do you care about Aaron at all be honest.

314 Comments
Comments (314)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Finally catching up and HOT DAMN!!! I missed some good stuff.

Ever since Caroline and Tyler broke up, I've been all over the Stepholine bandwagon. I'm totally getting a Lexi vibe from her as far as their friendship goes, and if we're being honest, Lexi being introduced and summarily killed off so early and quickly in this series is one of it's biggest loses. Caroline nicely fills that vacuum of "flirty friend".

She's so awesome that when she showed up with that ridiculous safe, my first thought was, "Aww see, she IS the best!"...followed quickly by a, "Wait, what?". When Katerine started busting her chops about gettin' some Salvator lovin'...fantastic! "See, it's not just me who thinks you two are doin' it. Or at least should be!". My feelings on the subject were validated.

And then, in a way that no other show I can think of can do, TVD flipped the roles of heroes and villains on it's head and like a fickle teenager, I was actively rooting for Stephan and Katherine in the safe.

This show never ceases to amaze me at it's ability to turn villains into likable characters. Damon, Katherine, Elijah, Klaus...by any measure, these were BAD people. Yet a little tale explaining how and why they are the way they are and *poof*

Aaron and Max...yada, yada, yada. Damon and Elena...yada, yada, yada. Those two arcs were clearly just setups for later. Which is fine. Stepholine vs Stepherine. I'm awfully conflicted.
More+
Flag
Haven't read the recap yet, but just wanted to say this episode was amazing. I loved all of the striking emotional moments, like Damon telling Elena the story about leaving Enzo (who I was REALLY hoping would appear later), and Katherine and Stefan in the safe. . . super hot! Yay, so much fun! Also like what's his name finding out about his family's legacy, and loved the backstory on why his family is all dead. Lots of DRAMA headed our way! Wheeee!
Flag
This is one of my favorite episodes this season. Too bad Damon has been sipping all that vervain but it didn't seem to help him out much to build up a tolerance. But, the vervain gas is probably a lot more potent than what he has been taking.
Flag
What I want to know is, if Damon kept track of the Whitmores for all those yeas and killed a bunch of them, how did he not know that the Whitmores still has Enzo locked up and doing experiments???
Flag
Am I the only one who's suuuuuuuper uncomfortable with the whole Bonnie/Jeremy relationship? All of their scenes just feel so awkward to me. Like I know they were basically shoving it down our throats the whole time Bonnie was dead, but their lovey-doviness still seems like it came out of left field somehow??
Flag
I kind of dig them being together because of Season 2. Their relationship was built-up real nicely back then and ever since I think they should be together. Of course there was that whole break-up thing/Jamie (lol, Jamie) awful plot that messed up their relationship but I was still holding out hope. When Jeremy died, and Bonnie went crazy about it, I felt the sparks coming back. When she died and they started having these personal, human-ghost moments, it definitely brought it all back. On that matter I think the writers did a great job and I just hope they stay together permanently now.
Flag
I hate when the "real world" and "having to work to earn a living" get in the way of my TV-watchin'.....JUST saw this episode. And......eh. Honestly not their best, in my opinion. Although I DO feel really bad for Aaron. I don't even know how you deal with feeling like everyone around you dies. Death is treated just a liiiiiiittle too casually on this show (as has been discussed many times before), but to have his parents killed and then his friend AND THEN his roommate? And so close together? Damn.

And only on TVD could a medical-experiment-torture subplot feel boring...lol! Sorry. Not really feeling it. Although Enzo is a potentially interesting new character.

Also, I kind of miss Matt. :-/
Flag
I KNOW! The real world made it so I just today saw this episode finally!!! Silly real world!
Flag
LOL WHY WOULD ANYONE ON EARTH MISS MATT.
Flag
Meh. I guess just because I'm not really that interested in a lot of the current story lines. Makes me wonder what other characters might be up to. When I start wondering about April, then you can have me committed,
Flag
Hahaha, oh, April. :D No, but I'm with you on Matt. I've always liked him.
Flag
So yes, I've decided to give it a go and post my thoughts in full detail.

- I have no interest in Dullena. I have no interest in Damon. I could care less about Damon and how he was tortured for 5 years. He deserves a lot worse.

- I despise the writers for destroying something as beautiful as Stelena in order to make Dullena happen.

- Nina and Ian were God awful in their so called "love scenes". They have zero on-screen chemistry. Nina looks repulsed by him.

Proof:

- I have no interest in Stefan and Katherine as a couple. I'll never ship them. That relationship sounds as stupid and as pathetic and contrived as Dullena is.

- Caroline has the absolute right to hate Damon. She has the right to be upset with Elena. Elena is not acting herself, either she's 1) still sired to Damon (which is her only saving grace) or 2) she's gotten a lobotomy and she doesn't remember all of the horrible things that Damon has done. This video best showcases the changes in Elena:

and no it's not called character evolution because Elena has devolved. She has become just as bad as Damon is. She doesn't care that she kills people. She doesn't care that she killed Jesse. She excuses Damon's actions constantly. She's just okay with dating a "reformed serial killer"...

- Damon is still a disgusting piece of shit. He's trash, he left his "so-called friend" there to die. He was still killing innocent while he was dating Elena. HE HASN'T CHANGED AT ALL.

I wish that people would wake up and see that. Peace!

ps. Someone asked me why I hate Damon so much - here -

http://teenwolfmixtapes.tumblr.com/post/67171443510/why-do-you-hate-damon-so-much

^ I agree with every single one of those points made.

More+
Flag
I will be totally honest and agree with you 100%. I do think the show destroyed such a beautiful couple. When you watch season 1-2 you can see how much they truly loved each other. It was pure love. And now this has been completely destroyed by Elena and Damon. I still love Damon. But don't think he was meant to be with Elena. Now I don't think they could ever go back. And personally I don't think Elena deserves Stefan after this.
Flag
Wow, that is big of you. You have my respect.

Flag
Oh yes, the fact that Damon is the one who turned Elena into this horrible monstrous apathetic thing is the biggest reason I hate him. He used the sirebond to remake her into him.

1. He told her to drink from the vein. (not blood bag, not animal blood)

2. He told her to kill the Vampire hunter. (even though it destroyed her and it drove her to suicide)

"You told me to kill him, so I did"

3. He made her turn off her humanity. The only thing she had left after losing Jeremy.

He did all of this because he wanted to change her, he wanted her to become like him. Well congrats, she already is like him. Elena is basically Damon #2.
Flag
KATHERINE!!!!! That is all.
Flag
1. Stefan & Kathrine <3 . They are so great for each other because he's the "good" guy with the dark aspects (the ripper stuff etc) and she's the evil girl with the hidden good aspects.its perfect.
2.Still hoping for Caroline & Klaus to end up together somehow for the same reason. Caroline is the nice goody girl and klaus the ultimate bad guy that needs to be taught what love and kindness is.
3. How is it that Elena's relationships always get kinda boring? I was never a fan of her relationship with Stefan because they were too much alike (too mopey and sad ) and they were neever fun to watch. But i really really liked her with damon. Before they got together. Where is the passion?? I hope this drama with the whitmore family will make things interesting between them again. You know what i miss? the fun they used to have when she first became a vampire and he was trying to help her fit into her skin. So bring back the fun Delena pleaseee.
Flag
I agree.. great episode. Seems like the writers needed some time to figure out how to continue a great show after what was left of it, when a huge part of it with the Originals departed.
This not only had major implications in future storylines but also (unfortunately) on some characters, mainly Caroline. She really was one of my favorites since Season 3, after leaving the annoying schoolgirl behind and becoming a strong, confident vampire woman, that had the most powerful supernatural being wrapped around her little finger. But regrettably, this season she has fallen back into her old self, only this time being in college.
It seems now that the writers are desperately looking for a new role for Caroline. So far it looks like they try to make her some kind of new Lexi, which does not work at all... Lexi is unique, old, powerful and had an aura about herself.
Something that Caroline naturally does not have.
And Stefan and Caroline would be the biggest mistake in TVD history, they just don't fit as a couple.
Her character works best as Klaus' kryptonite (including amazing chemistry with Joseph Morgan), so please --> departure to New Orleans, become Klaus' Queen!

We finally got to see good old evil, twisted, bloodthirsty Damon again! Please more of that, including a terrific introduction of a new mysterious character in Enzo.
Stefan and Katherine, finally (now as an awesome human version of Elena, and both of them able to understand each others pain better than anyone else at the moment) --> 100% approved (could develop into a good storyline with Katherine on the verge of dying)

The Cell finally brought TVD's strengths back and let's us hope for a much improved rest season.

More+
Flag
This episode was the best!
Katherina and Stephan, best matchup ever
Daemon and a Horror/torture act... exactly where his character should be all the time(that setting I mean. It yields so much potential) The Whitemore-slaughter and Daemons escape scene(especially the eyepressing... revenge!) had me on my toes. I don't care this doesn't add up to the rest of the story or whatever. Fact is, it might be reallyreally good. Like... the best!

Flag
why was Enzo back?
Flag
He didn't die in the fire. He has been a prisoner all these years
Flag
Stefan-Caroline please!
Flag
NO!
Flag
Does anybody think also that Enzo is the Augustine vampire? Or am I alone on this?
Flag
That's what I was thinking, too. He's been there a LOOONG time!
Flag
I'm with you
Flag
1) I'm with you. I really hope they turn Stefan/Katherine into a thing. Because they are just so awesome together!
2) Nope. I'm still holding out for a Klaus/Caroline thing. Yes, I know he's on a different show... A girl can dream, right?
3) Enzo= THUMBS UP!
4) Who??
Flag
Your not the only one dreaming I'm still holding out hope that somehow they get klaus and Caroline together maybe a crossover episode is in order
Flag
1) Steferine= EVERYTHING. 2) Steroline would be super cute. 3) Enzo seems interesting so far and it will be exciting to watch him interact with Damon after so many years. 4) Aaron should be fed to Damon/Enzo, honestly
Flag
This has been said multiple times already, I know, but the Katherine/Stefan scenes were the highlight of this episode.
- WHEN will Elena realize Damon is... Damon. He's been trying this season to change for her but clearly his commitments prior to dating her are more important. She should at least understand, damn. He needs to forget about her. Seriously, be single or something Damon lord.
- But the whole Augustine thing is boring.
- Okay, and a question... Why is everyone starting to dislike Caroline, trivially or not? I watch the show, but I'd just like to know your opinions on her. It seems a lot of you are having gripes with her character this season. Cause I can't... I just want to understand. Cause, I like Caroline.

Flag
I'm pretty sure the reason Damon couldn't bust Enzo out of the cage was because it was vervained, not because it was too hot from the flames. He'd just eaten a party, I'm sure some flaming hot metal wouldn't have bothered him that much.
I am so disappointed in Caroline this season, she has become so crap! Having said that, I never want her anywhere near sadsack Stefan, and much as I love Katherine, and think she is the best character on the show, I'd much rather she be with Stefan than the writers shoving him and Elena back together again. The two of them are the worlds worst couple.
Flag
The Stefan-Katherine was EVERYTHING <3 ... but i'm holding out hope for Stefan-Caroline since Day 1 of TVD ... Although i'm sure we'll never see the end of the lame SED (more like sad) triangle ...
Enzo : Thumbs UP !
Aaron : That guy is cute to watch
As per Damon i'm not convinced by his augustine vampire story ... a lot of things are not clear, i think he wasn't telling the whole truth.
Flag
My Answers:
... it totally was EVERYTHING! I feel the same and I really would like if the two will stay together, or should I say explore their romantic feelings further on.

...I'm not - Stefan+Katherine is SOOO much better

...Thumbs up! although I'm sad that he isn't called Enzio and has been an assassin before WWII

...Who is Aaron again?
Flag
Hope they'll use Elena's trauma from the future experiments to make her finally be the old Elena again :(
Can't handle her anymore :O Still asking myselfe: WHAT HAPPENED?!
Flag
So a few things have clicked for me about this episode which didn't at first. So many things seemed so out of left field and unrealistic, particularly the fact that Damon would pick the time he was finally able to revel in getting the girl that he loved to hunt down and kill another Whitmore. Other than the writers just trying to find something that would drive a wedge between Damon and Elena it didn't make any sense because people don't think about revenge when things are going well and they are happy. UNLESS killing the Whitmores wasn't so much revenge as it was penance, in which case it makes perfect sense. Damon needed to make another sacrifice to his friend, keep this promise to him, so that he could allow himself to feel this happiness with Elena.
From the beginning of the show, Damon has never seemed to believe he deserved to be happy (I don't deserve you, but my brother does.), something up until now, the writers have never fully explained. Sure his father treated him like trash and often his brother seems to agree with that assessment, but why does Damon? I think that just as Stefan's guilt is the source of all of his demons, Damon's demons stem from his guilt over his inability to save his friend and for walking away. But while Stefan had Lexi to help him deal with his guilt, Damon only had the revenge plot that he and Enzo had hatched together. He needed to carry it out in honor of his friend in order to keep the guilt from eating him up inside. That's why it continued as long as it did, when most people would tire of revenge and decide not to give them any more of their time and energy. But Damon wasn't doing it for himself. He was doing it for Enzo.
More+
Flag
I could not agree more with the first part. You voiced my thoughts exacly. It does not make sense. It just doesn't. Whatever the reason, Damon is a remorseless murderer and we know it. He has been for much of his life including of course season 1. However, ever since the tomb was opened the show seemed to be investing so much into having us believe that Damon wanted to change for Elena. Not that he did not have many terrible fallouts (breaking Jeremy's neck out of frustration..), but still the path set for him was clear and I would say it has been carried out with a certain coherence, with him becoming more reliable and sure of what's right and wrong as the seasons went by.
Of course Damon will never be the hero because he remains impulsive and emotional and stubborn, unlike Stefan who shows heroic restraint and is very rational when the switch is on, but during the whole Silas storyline Damon has shown very clearly how much his judgement has changed. When he had to decide whether to kill Silas or not he was at a loss for a moment. He still chose Elena, because of course, but he knew that the choice was not black-or-white and he considered the feeling of others involved, like Jeremy. Old Damon, on the contrary, back in season two chose to force Elena to drink his blood to avoid all risks. There is still a long way to go for Damon, but showing whatever little respect for others is an enormous achievement.
So how are we supposed to believe he would jeopardise his relationship and his first real shot at happiness (for which he fought hard) to carry out some 50-year-ago revenge on (possibly) innocent people? It doesn't make sense. He had really too much to lose. (also, as Price pointed out, he did not remember the Augustines??? what?)
So show please provide a few convincing answers because otherwise I am going to think you are just messing with us and finding a ridiculous plotline just to have Elena and Damon break-up, which would be disappointing! (And also unnecessary... for there are many other more coherent reasons why they may break up, if that is what needs to happen...).
More +
Flag
It's a business. I suspect it's cheaper to just throw in a bland story that doesn't make sense (because consistent stories take time and effort = require more money) but at least put a wedge between Elena and Damon because the majority of the show's audience is young girls, at least foolish people who only care about the relationships.

Or the writers are sneaky, evil geniuses and have everything prepared but won't be revealed until the very end.
Flag
I've actually spent an unrealistic amount of time thinking about this and came to the same conclusion you have. It's the ONLY thing that makes sense. Everything else we've seen regarding Damon since Elena fell in love with him points towards a man doing his best to be 'the better man'. Killing Aunt Sara completely contradicts this. Yet, Damon has been shown to have an obsessive type personally when it comes to his commitments: waiting to rescue Katherine, staying celibate for so long because of Katherine, protecting his brother and Elena, even Jeremy because of promises made. His obligation to Enzo seems like the only reasonable explanation why he would seemingly sabotage his relationship with Elena.

Though, we shouldn't disregard the fact that he is a vampire, one who was tortured for five years. Remember, vampires feel everything more intensely, so continuing his revenge just because he can isn't beyond the scope of possibility. He certainly didn't appear to be very remorseful.

Damon. Such a dichotomy.
Flag
The idea that he actually went out to carry on his plan like the diabolical type that he made himself to be in season 1 seems consistent for what he has been up until he met Elena. The problem is the damn plan, I don't understand how his plan made any kind of sense regarding hurting Witmore but I suppose he just relished in revenge as something to keep himself going, may have added the fact that he left Enzo to die when it was Enzo who gave his bottle of blood to him to break out.

Anyway, at the end of season 4 he kind of declared that he still didn't thought himself worthy of happiness but at the same time that's he's a selfish person and he's going to change that about him, that's the dynamic of what makes Damon Damon.
Flag
NOT going to change.* Damnit..
Flag
Elena is so judgy. Judgy, judgy, judgy!!! I personally love that Damon is still carrying out his revenge plan. (he probably should have tried to check whether this whole "augustine" thing was still going on and freed Enzo, but whatever. If I was a vampire who was tortured like crazy for 5 years non stop, my revenge plan would be equally as epic. Elena was all like "damon, I love you...tell me everything boo" but she's more like "Damon, I will conditionally love you, but if you murder someone even if it is for a good reason, I will judge you" get over yourself Elena, I was actually appreciating you this season! Not to harp on, but she loves Stefan even though he's probably murdered way more people than Damon. Judgy.

Caroline has dropped down the list of awesome characters, she is actually starting to frustrate me now. I don't understand her purpose sometimes, is it just to cause trouble and try to shift the love triangle? Caroline, for your sake please move to New Orleans and save Klaus because you need to become fabulous again!!

Katherine. Is. The. Best. If there was one character who is consistently MVP it is her. My god she is amazing, her writing in the diary is hilarious, she has the best personality and her chemisty with stefan is brilliant! I love, love, LOVE that they have gotten together. She has always loved him and he should really realise how freakin' amazing Katherine Pierce is and forget about judgy Elena Gilbert.

Errr...I don't know why you're loving Dr. whatever but he is a douche and I cannot wait for him to get his throat ripped out. I honestly don't even think he's that hot. Aaron is equally as annoying, jumped a bit to conclusions and doesn't really understand what is going on, hello your family tortures people....it is your legacy. (You'd really hope Bonnie's grandma knew this shizz was going on? Also the other professor...Shane? HELLO these people have been living at Whitmore for ages but no one knew that vampires were getting tortured underneath?)

Anyway, poor Enzo....I feel like Damon has some bad things coming. Elena deserves a little torture, maybe it'll kick the intense amount of unnecessary JUDGEMENT out of her.
More+
Flag
"I personally love that Damon is still carrying out his revenge plan."

You disgust me. There is something fundamentally wrong with you. You think killing dozens of innocent people is okay? You love the fact that Damon is a psychotic serial killer? And that he has been killing innocent people who have nothing to do with him being tortured ???? Like seriously. You need a reality check or a psychiatrist. Either way, I hope that you get help.
Flag
haha this isn't exactly a show founded on realism. Im saying if I was a vampire who had been tortured for 5 years the cruel way that they had been hell yeah I'd be up for some revenge. Also they didn't exactly stop their torture experiments... So I wouldn't call them all innocent. The plan is pretty genius though! (And you might like to remind yourself, not real). I want Elena to die almost every episode as well doesn't mean I literally want someone to kil nina, relax Britney I'm just giving my opinion on this fun mythical show.
Flag
haha lol

I think I overreacted but seriously, when I read the part about how you love the fact that Damon has been killing dozens of innocent people (who had nothing to do with him being tortured) - it just sounds so demented and twisted (to me), I couldn't believe that someone would say something like this...

I realize it's a supernatural show, but come on... why not show some compassion? I think it's terrible that Aaron (who's now an orphan) has basically lost his entire family line due to Damon's so called "revenge"...

and I watch for the drama/dramatic parts of the show. the loss of morality in people is just disconcerning to me...
Flag
I would be more worried about the fact that 14 people so far approved of her view by liking the comment ^^
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
At first I thought you were joking around talking about how hot the male characters are on this show, but now I'm pretty sure you are gay, which is totally fine, but kind of disappointing. I just really wanted to believe another straight guy would spend as much time as I do obsessing over teen soaps!! Anyway, I kinda want Katherine and Stefan, but I also kinda want Caroline and Stefan. So I don't know what to think. I kinda want both Salvatores to end up with their own Dobrev character at the end of the show, because, as a man, I want to end up with my own personal Dobrev in real life!..but I think Katherine might die in the 100th episode, yeah..it sucks, but it may well happen.
Arron sucks kind of, but the actor does a really good job of not seeming like he's 40, or whatever age he really is. He feels younger than his Melrose character.
Now, are we to assume that Damon turned off his emotions in this flashback, and they stayed off up until the episode with the 70's punk rock Lexi flashback? That explains one important baffling quote from that episode,
Lexi: "You turned your emotions off? Why?"
Damon: "Leave it to Beaver, the 50's bored me."
-well I guess it really wasn't Hugh Beaumaont or Jerry Mathersas the Beaver that made Damon turn it off after all!

More+
Flag
It was Tony Dow
Flag
I'm a straight male and I watch the hell out of both VPD and The Originals, you're not alone out there!
Flag
Stefan and Katherine are EVERYTHING! Paul and Nina have terrific chemistry in all their various roles but I love this arc with Katherine and I loved that she selflessly tried to help Stefan.

I love Caroline and she has chemistry with everyone but I'm not sown with her and Stefan. She wouldn't do that to Elena because she actually knows what it means to be a good friend.

Thumbs up to Enzo!

Do we care about Aaron? Not really- but if we do care about him even a smidge it is for the same reason Elena does... she reminds him of herself. He is Elena 2.0.- a less stupid version of Elena. 'woe is me attitude'-check, self-obession, double check. Now if we see him making ridiculously bad decisions he will hit the Elena trifecta
Flag
Aaron is going to be worse than Elena. Elena at least had Stefan as a backup to protect her and lead her into protecting herself from vamps. Aaron will have a vendetta and ignorance behind him. Bad combo.
Flag
The best thing about this episode was the absence of Matt, Bonnie, and Jeremy.
Flag
Y'all STAY hatin' on Bonnie!
Flag
Pretty much the only reason I was disappointed that Stefan's amnesia didn't last very long earlier this season is because there was a strong hint of a relationship forming between him and Caroline, which I was surprised to find I enjoy the prospect of. But then he got his memories back and now there's a chance he'll end up with Katherine, but like you said Price, there's a real chance Caroline harbours some tingly sensations towards him. Anyway, Stefan and Katherine. Stefan and Caroline. They're both relationships I'd love to explore, and who knows, maybe they are going for another full triangle. I wouldn't be adverse to this, I mean, is anyone really still interested in the Stefan/ Elena/ Damon drama?
Flag
Of all the storylines that are still lingering from late last season/ early this season Stefan's PTSD about being trapped in a box is not one I want to still be dealing with. I probably would have preferred two or three more Silas and Tessa exposition heavy-episodes over Caroline trying to pop-psychology fix Stefan during this episode.
Flag
I like to think I'm pretty capable of suspending my disbelief, but yeah, the fact the Damon wasn't the least bit suspicious about Elena and Caroline's roommate Megan being murdered by a vampire and having Wes cover it up in the premiere just goes to show that the writers really didn't know that this is where'd they'd be heading this season. Don't get me wrong, I like the development, but the fact that Damon has supposedly been going around killing Whitmore family members for the entire series is hard to digest.

I also hope they explain how Enzo survived the fire and remained imprisoned? It seemed like Damon killed most of the party guests, and if even he couldn't get Enzo out of the cage, then who could?
Flag
The thing is that Stefan is Silas' doppleganger and according to the curse the two gangers are destined to be together. Since Katherine was first, it's logical that she's his true love, not Elena
Flag
I theorize the continuity or maybe the logic checker moved to the Originals and they haven't rehired.
Flag
The writers are making this up as they go. Damon was running around, sexing it up, and partying it up at Whitmore with no problems for weeks, not even a sign of discomfort once. 'I was tortured here for five long years... but NBD!'
Flag
- EVERYTHING. so much everything. I slow clapped the whole scene.

- No dude. Stefan is Carokryptonite. She becomes lame around him. plus, like i said, EVERYTHING.

- Digging Enzo for sure! Hot and an accent? Elijah 2.0.

- Aaron can go now, pls, but unlike you I like him slighly more than his ridiculous guardian/mad scientist/douchebag Wes.

I am incredibly impressed at Katherine's ability to make whomever she pairs up with so much more interesting. I am now totally into Stefan and all his probs. So weird.
Flag
where was Bonnie? otherwise a pretty good episode emotionally. the escape was a little drab because it was so obvious Damon was going to screw Enzo over.
Flag
They were a tad off for the rock n roll thing being '53. There was no "white" rock n roll yet but maybe Damon was on the cutting edge of it all. :P

Well I think I'll like all this Augustine Vampire thing. Seems pretty good. I'm just still an old days TVD fan way more but things look good. Don't want a Stephan / Caroline thing but for sure with Katherine.

Enzo seems to be a good new twist so we'll see.
Flag
"Hello, my shadow self" - Now I just laugh everytime I hear this.
Could it be that we get old Damon back ?, killinkg Whitmores for more than 50 years ? that sounds like good old Damon, please TVD writers bring him back.
I hope they don't use this to split Damon and Elena, not because I give a damn about them but because we all know what would happen if they break up, Elena wil whistle and Stefan will come running and I want to see where Stefan and Katherine are going.
"What kind of sentimental idiot writes down everything they feel?" - I love you Katherine, please stay in TVD forever.
I'm the only one who got distracted by Katherine's cleavage ?
Aaron got a little interesting this episode, let's see what happens next, in general the Augustine storyline is good so far.
It would be interesting if they make Elena an Augustine vampire I would like to see that.
That kiss was for me unexpected, I know it would eventually happen but I wasn't expecting it in this episode, glad it happened!
Caroline reactiong was hilarious, I guess she will not like this since she is a Stefan/Elena supporter.
More+
Flag
since when do they speak spanish?
Flag
Wow, by far one of the best (if not THE best) episodes of the season. This was gripping storytelling, compared to the last episodes they've given us. I just loved the Damon flashbacks. In this entire season I've hated Damon, but he was actually interesting in the flashbacks. I also like Aaron, and the choices he made. Good job, TVD! I can't wait for the midseason finale, hopefully it won't be a letdown.
Flag
- I'm hoping for Carfan (or Stefoline?)! They are awesome together, seem to know eachother better and have more fun together than Stefan and Elena ever did.

- Go Enzo! I hope he's not too upset with Damon though. I wonder who found him in the cage back in the 50s?

- I was really feeling a Spiderman-moment with Aaron. The "with great power comes great responsibility"-speech Dr Maxfield gave him gave me some hope for him to shut down the family business, but I guess losing your parents sort of makes you loose the ethical perspective?

Another thing. If the reason for the research was to understand vampires, shouldn't 60 years have been quite enough? Maybe the lack of reports (3 folders?) and Damon's killing spree made it hard to keep up the continuity of the research and every generation had to start from scratch.
Flag
it's Steroline
Flag
Damon's five year torture seemed like a one up to Stefan's drowning over and over. Enzo really didn't make an impression on me as a viewer, I was far more interested in Dr. Whitmore...seeing an adult over 40 peaks my interest on this show. And Let me guess, Elena's suddenly disapproval will somehow send her running to understand to Stefan once she is released; with Enzo not far behind of course.
Flag
1. Nah, but at least it wasn't tacky. I liked Katherine's little confession about not knowing sometimes what she does yet she is set on whatever goal she wants.

2. No. Caroline is Stefan's new Lexi. Besides it's too much reliance on romantic/sexual relationships on this show.

3. Thumbs up! Tough for him being left there by Damon but I'm curious as to what Damon should have done. He wasn't strong enough to break the steel bars, the house was on fire and they had vervain as well. I suppose with some vamp speed he could have rushed away and compelled people to help out.

4. No, not really but he's connected to the Witmore college and a link to Elena, for a small arc he will be useful.

What's up with the safe talk? It wasn't in the bloody forest and Caroline is a vampire.

So the Augustine society / Damon. Well, that was some rough times for Damon, that's for sure. I can't say I liked his revenge plan though but B for effort. The problem with it was that it relied on hurting Mr Witmore's grand children but he was killed 10 seconds after Damon was out, how was he hurt by that? THAT if anything was ridiculous in this episode. His eye for an eye was good but he should have healed him up with vampire blood then do it over and over, that would have made more sense. At least Enzo was a good part on this arc, great that he's still alive and I hope continues to be alive for a while, that means at least the remainder of season 5. I wonder how Elena will learn to accept this truth about Damon, hopefully she will be conflicted for a while.

Katherine. She's the best, that moment when she asked Caroline about sleeping with Stefan. Golden! Her idea about Stefan's real issue and the solution for it was also great, I didn't really see that coming but it made sense. I agree with Price's idea about Katherine and Stefan's future, but I wouldn't want yet another relationship take over the show, they had better for something like I don't know, the Travellers are after Katherine remember? She's staying in Mystic Falls and isn't running so she's kind of a target, isn't she?

Overall awesome episode even if the 50s had a dreadful, eerie atmosphere. Looking forward to the mid-season finale.
More+
Flag
LOOOVE Steferine ♥ Just hope they don't forget the fact Katherine is not good, cause this has always been the reason why we adoreee her :)

Beside, cruel vampire experiments?! NICE!
Actually I thought Damon would be sth like a member of a boring vampire-association... thank god *___*
I'd kill to see more dirty "surgeries" :D
Flag
I always liked Katherine-Damon more BUT after two last episodes .. Stefan and Katherine duo convinced me!! loving it!! srsly Elena who? Also we all are bored of Stefan-Elena-Damon triangle ..
Caroline and Stefan should stay as friends otherwise this show would be a second Gossip Girl = everyone had at least a fling or a kiss with each other, no thanks. i would like Caroline's and Stefan's friendship to remain as a pure amazing friendship.
Enzo looks promising, this Augustine plotline looks better than some "Hello my shadow-self Silas" plotline but ... yeah, i dont really care about male version of Elena, Aaron :D anyway keep on writing photo recaps Price, we love it <3
Flag
Paul and Nina does have amazing chemistry onscreen. Stefan/Elena, Stefan/ Katherine or Silas/Amara played out pretty well. Stefan and Elena were at peace with each other...Stefan and Katherine brings out each others wild side...Silas and Amara had tragedy looks....It is such a subtle chemistry where you do not need to force yourself to show passion or tear each others clothes.

Flag
Suddenly we have to feel sorry for Damon? he got his revenge which should be more than enough. I don't think Elena will break up with Damon for his murdering spree. I am okay with that because she needs to stay away from Stefan.
I don't how but I hate Elena and love Katherine right now. Katherine was a different vampire than Elena and she is a different human than Elena.
Flag
Two things before I answer the questions:
1 - Damon not saying anything about the Augustine before just doesn't make sense and I hate it
2 - I don't know why but I expect Enzo to be the actual Augustine

... Was the Stefan-Katherine kiss everything or EVERYTHING?
EVERYTHING, of course. Katherine is amazing and I think she's the only one who can actually fix Stefan..

... OR are you holding out hope for a Stefan-Caroline thing?
I WAS, but now I fear a new triangle approaching and I'm terrified!

... Enzo: Thumbs up or THUMBS UP?
THUMBS UP! Still, he could have had at least an italian accent.

... Do you care about Aaron at all be honest.
Just because he's hot and I loved him on Melrose Place.
Flag
Despite this episode has an intriguing plot with Damon's past, I can't really understand how Damon didn't think to just grab the keys and unlock the cell for his friend to get out. Or why the Augustin meetings every year didn't have any protection measures, you have 2 vamps in a cell, you can't let the room without some darts guns with vervain. Big logic holes. Yet the episode was good but partially destroyed, once again, by the stupid writing this show occasionally has...

PS. I can't wait to see how Enzo survived, I was sure he died.
Flag
It's crazy I know, and of course in the back of my mind I know it's Nina Dobrev the whole time, but I always seem to think that kat and Elena are played by two different actresses and then have to remind myself that they're not. Good lord, that girl can act.
Flag
ok this has probably been said already but Damon did not kill Aarons parents last summer. He killed them years ago, he killed Aarons aunt or cousin this past summer. I swear sometimes I think Im the only one paying attention
Flag
I find myself considering the fact that Damon has been a vampire all these many years, and when he was a prisoner the first time around for five years, he had no group of friends who missed him. How sad, that for all the time he's been a vampire, this is his first real relationship with humans or "nice" vampires. Hmmmmm.
Flag
I loved this episode simiply because of Damon, and the back story it told us of how he was tortured and experimented on for five years, yet kept it too himself. It is revealed that Enzo is the one who wanted revenage and therefore, planted the seed in Damon's head. Whether Damon was telling the truth about whom he killed we'll find out much later since on the surface it looks more like he was trying to save Elena's life. Not a lot of DE moments, but what there was, excellent. I love the introduction of Enzo , but have my doubts about what part he plays in the whole Augustine affair. Aaron couldn't care less and since his parents were instrumental in the torture and experimentation on vampires, I cannot feel sorry for them and Sarah was also involved.

I don't see a hook up between Caroline and Stefan because the actress Candice is against it and states that Caroline only sees Stefan as a close friend. Katherine and Stefen is even worse because liking only the human aspect of someone who you prefess to love is not love and Stefan has showed this not only with Katherine, but Elena, also and you cannot re-write history, and Stefan always look so akward in his make out scenes, it doesn't come naturally to him. Damon is the only one who has demonstrated that love is unconditional, he loved both Katherine and Elena whether they were vampires or human...either way it didn't matter to him. Katherine is Katherine and like she stated once before, she is never going to let a little thing called love get in her way. Stefan be warned.

But for me the best thing about this episode was Damon.
More+
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Dateline NBC
    NEW