A The Vampire Diaries Community
Friday 8:00 PM on The CW

The Vampire Diaries S05E12: "The Devil Inside"

They say that phone numbers are seven digits because studies showed that the human brain can only remember seven things at a time. That is definitely true for me, but usually anywhere between 4 to 5 of the things I remember are candy-related. I occasionally remember items from the menu at Popeye's. But that only leaves one to two things that I can fit in my brain at any given time, so that means I forget A LOT of things. I especially have a goldfish memory when it comes to The Vampire Diaries, which I think we can all agree has ten episodes too many in each season. 22 episodes just seems like A LOT of episodes! It is crazy that ANY shows try to tell a 22-hour story anymore, let alone one like this, a complicated serial that borders on cable-level quality. Has anyone considered splitting these seasons into separate halves? I can think of another teen monster show I really love that just started doing that. The reason I bring this up is because this week TVD brought back some characters and plotlines from the Fall that I just plum FORGOT about. All that Whitmore college stuff, those new dudes, the Augustines. Who even were they? I definitely remembered something about Stefan being locked in a safe and Katherine being human, but the first half of Season 5 seems like a distant memory by now. I'm not sure what my point is here except to say that this Katherine-centric stuff makes these new episodes so much more fun for me. I thought college would be a good change of location for these characters, but I was maybe wrong about that. Let's just have Mystic Falls house parties from now on.

"The Devil Inside" was all about Katherine's schemes so I was happy about it from that angle. But I get the impression that people are very, very upset about what's going on with Damon and Elena's break-up? Guys, first of all, if you are one of those people whose passion for a particular relationship (or one specific Salvatore) ruins your enjoyment of a show or, worse, makes you hate the real humans who work on that show, then you're doing it wrong. ("It" meaning LIFE.) Especially when it comes to shows that have 22-episode seasons, the character dynamics NEED to constantly shift in order to continue wringing tension, upset, joy, and pay-off from every conceivable situation. So yeah, your favorite couple might break up. A good guy might turn bad. A bad guy might turn good. There will be constant, temporary setbacks and constant, fleeting victories. That's how this show has always been, that's how it will continue to be. Just be patient and watch as things continue shifting back into what you were hoping for. That's the writers' job: To change things and see how that makes us feel. Heck, just making us feel ANYTHING constitutes a victory on their part. They are doing their job and they're doing it well.

I liked "The Devil Inside." It felt weirdly perfunctory in that certain things needed to be capitalized on from the previous week, and it needed to set up future conflicts. Just a regular midseason episode basically. So nothing was super memorable about this thing, but it was very solid and riveting from minute to minute. That's my standard for success: I was not bored! Let's talk about it!

It all started in town square, which should have been the biggest red flag that this was not going to be a great situation for Matt. That thing should be renamed Murder Square, I'll explain later. But yeah, sure enough, Katherine/Elena popped out for a game of Highly Ironic Peek-A-Boo!

After some very aggressive questioning that tipped off anybody else that this was Katherine and not Elena, Matt watched as his vervain bracelet was swiped and Katherine started compelling him for details about Elena's life story!

And that's when we realized this was one of those dreaded FlashForward cold opens! Because then suddenly we were in a motel room "earlier that day" where Nadia was chaining Katherine up in case Elena popped out again.

I had been curious about this! And it was confirmed right away: At any moment Elena could regain control of her body, so they were nervous that would happen at an embarrassing time. But luckily that weird crimped-hair Traveler knew a DIY solution to make Katherine the permanent captain of S.S. Elena, and that solution required Katherine's corpse. So while Nadia went off and looked for it, Katherine had to stay chained to a bed even though vampires are super strong and can break furniture like it's warm butter so I don't know why they thought that would work but whatever.

Then Damon returned home from burying Katherine's corpse and he wiped his boots on the rug and Stefan frowned. Suddenly Nadia showed up and she wanted ANSWERS.

Quick question: Isn't Nadia several hundred years older than Damon? Why could she not overpower him? Anyway, Damon wouldn't tell her where her mom's corpse was so she kicked a pebble and walked away disappointed.

Meanwhile Tyler was in a pretty bad place and that bad place did NOT allow sleeves.

Tyler was still reeling from returning home during the previous night's ghost jamboree and realizing that Caroline didn't want him and also his whole trip to New Orleans had been an embarrassing failure after Rebekah snapped his neck in front of all the fellas and then kicked him out of town. Pretty basic existential stuff, really.

Meanwhile this guy who I am pretty sure has a name but I'm not positive he does, was looking for Elena to tell her that he'd cut off his hot legal guardian from doing more vampire torture and also that he was sorry for locking Elena up and almost murdering her boyfriend even though he kind of deserved it. But yes, just trying to clear the air! That's when he received an unexpected visitor!

Enzo! Hey Enzo, what's up? Cool scarf. The thing about vampires who have to sit out of society for decades at a time is how quickly they figure out the latest trends and hairstyles. Enzo just made a quick stop at H&M and now he was back in action.

Meanwhile Stefan called up Caroline to ask where Elena was and she got super worried that he'd found out about her shirtless hugs with Klaus. That's why she was suddenly super helpful when he asked if she'd help get Damon and Elena back together. I guess the whole 'sleeping with the world's greatest villain' had humbled her a little bit about judging others. 

Oh and then YUP. Elena popped back into her own body!

It was especially amusing how she immediately knew what had happened and was SO annoyed at herself for falling for Katherine's schemes. By the way, that would be my nightmare, to wake up in my own body with tons of unaccounted for time and the knowledge that someone else had been in control. That is legit frightening to me. But now I have tons of questions... It's clear that Elena was not experiencing Katherine's perceptions, so does that mean her soul went to The Other Side temporarily? Or was she just buried in some kind of dreamless sleep at the back of her own brain? If any of you is a award-winning scientist, please explain this to me in the comments? Thanks.

But yeah, obviously Elena broke out of her chains in 3 seconds. They were attached to an Ikea bed frame, first of all, and everybody knows they are made of sawdust and Swedish whispers. Unfortunately just as Elena threw off her shackles Nadia showed up and re-summoned Katherine.

Close but no cigar! (Cigars are disgusting, why would anybody want to be close to one?)

So then Damon came home and there was an uninvited guest just chilling in his living room drinking all his brown fluids!

Enzo had brought Aaron (I had to look up his name, sorry, it's been so long) and told him to just go ahead and kill the final Whitmore for old time's sake. But Damon had already decided he needed to get back together with Elena and killing Aaron would probably not make her super happy.

So he snapped Enzo's neck instead!

And in the second bracelet-ripping of the day, Damon de-vervained Aaron and told him to go to Canada basically. Aaron been touched by an angel, girl. (I don't know.)

Meanwhile Matt threw a house party to cheer up Tyler. But of course the party was in Tyler's house which seems like a big hassle for Tyler to have to deal with, but maybe he was sad and lonely and needed human contact. Anyway, a party was going on and there were kegs and the vampires needed to be invited in individually. So Katherine decided to show up and impersonate Elena in order to finally track down her own body. But first she had a run-in with Stefan to test the waters with him and see if he was sad about her supposed death.

But HAHA no, he wasn't super sad. I mean he was pretty fair about it... He respected her and all that, but come on. Death is nothing to a vampire anymore. Why would he care? Death is just another thang. Katherine looked so sad though! Then to cheer herself up she took out the garbage.

Her excuse was that she was just doing what Elena would do at a party (which was hilarious) and then followed that up by saying she felt bad for how pathetic Elena's life seemed. Haha brutal! But if you ask me maybe Katherine was just all schemed out and she wanted some quiet time to herself by the dumpsters. We've all been there.

Anyway, then Nadia told her to get her butt back inside the party and find that corpse. That's when Caroline gave Katherine a major hint that Damon had put the corpse back in that one tomb from Season 1. But then Caroline started confessing all her sexiest secrets!

And at first Katherine seemed startled and maybe even empathetic about Caroline's Klaus drama, but then she saw an opportunity for a diversion and made the business public to any monsters within earshot.

Dang! That was Tyler's hurt/outraged/slut-shamin face and Caroline was NOT happy to see it. That is a very tough situation in my opinion and Katherine was very rude for having done that. But on the other hand, beat it Tyler! Remember when he straight-up dumped her? Or that one time he let werewolves shoot Caroline in the head and throw her in a cage? Yes, she slept with the guy who drowned his mother at a spring Christmas party, but by now everybody has done legit terrible things on this show and at some point they just have to let things like that slide. I don't know, I'm not a monster therapist. (I've been disbarred.)

So then Katherine and Nadia and the Crimped Gypsy went to the old tomb and started the ceremony to make Katherine permanent and it involved both cutting Katherine's palm and also totally jacking up her dead body in general!

Unfortunately right during the ceremony Elena popped back out!

And once again, to her credit, she immediately knew what was happening and played it cool. THEN she pushed the Crimped Gypsy to the ground and stabbed Nadia with a pole or whatever!

But instead of permanently halting that ceremony by murdering everybody, Elena ran out into the woods! Oh her problems were probably definitely over, don't worry. The End. J/K J/K

Then Tyler yelled at Caroline a bunch.

And he was so mad he wolfed out and screamed in her face! But then Stefan ran in and punched Tyler like A BOSS.

That was great. This was a great episode for Stefan. He was way more in chill-hero mode and that's the Stefan I like best. At this point he didn't even care about the actual drama going on between Tyler and Caroline, NOBODY screams at Caroline and gets away with it. And yeah I won't deny it, it's kind of fun seeing Tyler get punched in the face full-force. He'd been pretty lame lately! Remember when he roughed up a pregnant lady by a swamp?

It probably won't shock you to learn that the Crimped Gypsy woke up and immediately continued doing her spell. What MIGHT surprise you is that it appeared to involve literally putting salt in a wound?

And that's when Elena stopped scrambling through the woods long enough to have all of Katherine's memories suddenly FLOOD into her consciousness!

She "remembered" tons of things that Katherine had done. Violent things. Sexy things.

Even the time she bit Jeremy's perfect neck!

It was all very traumatic for Elena. Obviously the violence against her friends and family was not her favorite thing to suddenly absorb as her own memories, but also it was probably a rude reminder of just how much more awesome Katherine was, sorry.

Anyway, then Damon heard her cries of anguish and they ran toward each other across Tyler's lawn!

But WHOOPS! It was too late! Just as they reached each other the spell was finalized and Katherine took "permanent" control. She immediately went into her Elena impression and proceeded to break Damon's heart BIG TIME.

First she just looked very wary of going with the flow, but then she got all righteous about it and proceeded to tear Damon a new one for how mean he'd been to Katherine on her death bed! 

And that was it! Just when it looked like Elena and Damon were bound to reconcile, Katherine pulled a classic Katherine move and split them up BUT GOOD. 

Gosh, that walk-away smirk she did. Brutal. Let it be known that Katherine was a rascal this day.

After the party Tyler was still all frowned-up.

Aw but Matt was there to help him out! Hopefully when he's done cheering Tyler up, Tyler can suggest that Matt find a way less ugly shirt to wear because holy moly.

Then back in the tomb this happened:

Haha classic Katherine! She murdered the Crimped Gypsy because she was a loose end! I wonder if messing with the Travelers is a good idea? I just simply wonder. Oh well.

Anyway, Nadia wanted to hit the road ASAP, but Katherine made the executive decision that she wanted to stay in Mystic Falls and live a care-free life that hopefully had 100% more Salvatore boners in it. That's right, she more or less stated outright that her main goal now was to win Stefan back. I have to say, this was a hilariously evil thing for the writers to do to 100% of all the shippers. Breaking up  Delena so that Impostor!Stelena could happen? Brutal. Just kidding I don't actually care either way and all ship-stans are menaces to society in my opinion, but still: Let it be known that this show WILL get crazy like that.

Oh, but honestly? It's pretty clear that Stefan and Caroline are falling for each other right? This was maybe the best scene in the episode:

Caroline was pouting by the fire about her bad reputation and Stefan teased her and reminded her that she's very awesome and that's why Klaus pursued her, etc. Their friendship has grown really rich over the years but the effortless chemistry they had here made me think that this is a thing that is happening. I don't know we'll seeeeeee.

And then? Poor Aaron.

Just when it looked like he'd been compelled away to Canada, he fell for the old vampire-in-the-road trick! But the twist this time is that he was double-teamed!

WOWOWOW. Damon had taken the break-up hard and decided to finalize things by EATING AARON and leaving him in a pool of blood in the road (Is he fully dead? He's not fully dead right?). But yeah, Damon no longer cared what Elena thought of him, and it looks like he's maybe heading into ripper mode now? Plus he has an accomplice in Enzo who will probably be a very bad influence on him. So I think we can see where the rest of this season will be headed: Villain Damon is back!

Look everybody, I realize everybody is all mad and upset about whatever is going on with their ships or whatever Salvatore for whom they stan (I hate using these terms but they are appropriately juvenile), but as an AWARD-WINNING TV CRITIC (I have won no awards) I will say that this was a solid, surprising episode! It wasn't 100% awesome mostly because it served to continue the twists set forth last week. This definitely felt like an episode of a show that has 22 episodes a season. Just more action and things were advanced but nothing super memorable. I'm glad Katherine's plan was successful? Yeah I'm glad about that. I like when she's successful because it usually messes EVERYTHING up for everybody in an interesting and entertaining way. We'll see what happens! 

SORRY.

Also bye.

QUESTIONS

... How you feelin'?

... What is going on with Caroline and Stefan?

... Will Tyler ever get his life back together?

... Remember Jeremy?

621 Comments
Comments (621)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
my answer to your first question: I hate you. you're totally biased! to Katherine and Caroline. Tyler those not deserve all the suffering he has experienced through out the series and for Stefan to be the hero by kicking him when he's down was so wrong.
Flag
my answer to your first question: I hate you. you're totally biased! to Katherine and Caroline. Tyler those not deserve all the suffering he has experienced through out the series and for Stefan to be the hero by kicking him when he's down was so wrong.
Flag
Flag
The Bring it on reference probably made this whole review for me haha
Flag
Lol dude your review is as cold blooded as this series. Tyler has the right to be mad. Would you be OK with a girl that fuck someone that murdered your mother and friends... And Stefan have no right to punch Tyler, because he is a hypocrite/mass murderer. And Damon is a whiny ass mass murderer that did go back to killing after his girlfriend dump him.

All I'm saying that if you don't agree with this you guys are psychopaths.
Flag
Seeing a depressed, self-loathing and drinking Tyler is a bummer, but they're doing a really good job of portraying it, no matter how much of a turn-off that mopey behavior is.

I really liked the scene when Tyler confides in Matt about all of his problems and how Klaus has ruined his life...the way they show how Matt listens with real concern was great. Also loved that they used "Bravado" by Lorde during this scene, it's bout time Tyler shows some bravado of his own and man's up
Flag
I bet you would be as mad, if you found out your ex, have been fucking a guy that murdered your mother and friends, in real life....
Flag
I'm late with my response, but hey here goes. Oh joy more bullshit with Katherine. Gee we can't bring back Alaric, but we sure as hell can keep around an annoying useless character and her stupid ass daughter because well there's no other storyline to develop. Second I'm glad Caroline got told off. She's always lecturing people on right & wrong and she does something just so she can have some in here words "naughty sex" and then gets all butt hurt when Tyler tells her off. Hey Stefan the guy she banged killed her boyfriend's mom uh I think he has a right to be pissed. As for Damon welcome home son. For those of you who hate bad Damon, but love Katherine you can't have it both ways. From the show's start Damon has been the only one who's truly honest. Congratulations writers you screwed the pooch all to keep this stupid ass doppleganger legacy going.
Flag
I'm hoping that Aaron had vampire blood in him! I liked that guy...
Flag
Me too! I hope he'll be the last Augustine vampire!
Flag
That's what I was thinking!
Flag
It will be his turn to seek revenge on Damon :D
Flag
Was Katherine spilling the beans about Caroline and Klaus a little harsh? Ya, it's a tough spot for Caroline to be put in. But, there could be no greater bird flip to Tyler, so I'm all for it. That guy is just a giant douche and there aren't enough bad things that could happen to him.

Katherine villain is awesome! Not quite super villain, but looking out for herself and damn anybody who gets in the way.

And now prepare for the ultimage love triangle grudge match to end all love triangles. Stephan and Elena alone would be interesting, but it's Stephan's feelings for Elena but being controlled by Katherine...best of both worlds really. Versus the number one ranked contender, Caroline. Straight up, head to head, I'm not sure who's more awesome, Katherine or Caroline, but this is gonna be a fun watch. I've been wanting to see a Stepholine hook up for a while now. I thought that he and Katherine getting back together was a tie...until that final conversation by the fire.

#TeamStephanAndCaroline
Flag
Your logic and reason seems fucked up... Tyler a douche no.
Stefan and Damon Mass murderer YES.
But still people root for the bad guys to be the good guys...
Flag
You talk of my logic and reason being fucked up yet provide neither in your reply?

Being a douche has absolutely nothing to do with being a mass murderer. I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say.
Flag
Flag
I really think Caroline almost brought that on herself. She was at Tyler's house for Tyler's Welcome Home party and she knew Tyler was in the house. She really shouldn't have been talking about it there.
Flag
Agreed. Part of me think she unconciously WANTED him to overhear so that she could rip off the bandaid so to speak.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Wow, no, wow... hella freaking no. It's been a while since the last time I got this angry at a TV show, but wow. No. I'm just. No. Even the worst thing Tyler's ever done isn't in any way comparable to everything Klaus has done. To the people Tyler loves, even. To his mom. I'm sorry, but how the frick* do you think Caroline would feel if it was Tyler macking on someone who murdered her mom? I'm so sick of watching everyone constantly villanize Tyler Lockwood while simultaneously forgiving everything Klaus's ever done—and giving him 3902831902 different redemption arcs. He probably shouldn't have yelled at Caroline, but at this point, you know what? It's Klaus. And the point here isn't even the sleeping-with-him part, because obviously Caroline is her own person and can sleep with whoever the heck she pleases, but, uh? He's got every right in the world to be mad at her for forgiving the man who abused him and his friends FOR MONTHS, the man who more than once abused Elena, the man who killed Tyler's mom, who killed Jenna, the man who manipulated Stefan for ages and forced him to do things he didn't feel comfortable doing. And now this. I'm sorry, but I'm just not here for that. And even more annoying is the knowledge that Caroline is probably still gonna get on Elena's case for being in love with Damon. Well, frankly, frick* that.

(Sorry so angry, but Vampire Diaries has been getting on my nerves lately. Oops)
More+
Flag
I'm so glad some people have a heart.
And don't love the bad boys all the time.
Flag
THIS. THIS. THIS. I completely agree. I just hate the way Klaus is always glorified for showing some hint of humanity and then reveling in other people's grief and suffering at the same time. But when Tyler is seeking some sort of redemption for all the pain and suffering that was caused by KLAUS to his mom and his friends (WHO ARE ALSO CAROLINE'S FRIENDS. DID SHE FORGET?!), he receives backlash. It's infuriating.
Flag
I couldn't agree more. Tyler may have a bad attitude, but that's it. And he's more than justified for that!
Flag
Loved this episode...Loved how Elena/Kat kept fighting withing to survise..
Felt sad for Caroline...how dare Tyler Jerk judge Caroline, while he left for the billions time...after getting his ass kicked by Klaus, he came running back home and expect that everything is still the same...I wouldn't mind sleeping with Klaus either...hehehehehhe lol....
Aaron was destined to die in this season...it couldn't be otherwise...
So in the end he died, in the best way...by a final kiss of Damon...no without joking...Loved Damon in the end...finally the bad guy we met in season 1 is back!! It is about time...he was getting a softy!!

Flag
You would fuck the murderer of your ex boyfriend's, mother and friends? In real life?
You are a very cold person then.
Flag
If i wrote i wouldn't mind sleeping with Joseph Morgan, wouldn't it make a difference, instead of Klaus......that has nothing to do...with if i sleep with a murderer or not....Stefan or damian would be nice too...or should i use their real names, so weird people with weird thoughts like you understand what i mean??? as both brothers have done terrible things too......jackass!
Flag
Lol, i'm talking about the tv show, i don't know what you are talking about. Learn to read and find the true meaning of it before you begin to nerd rage about some comment's i made, about your reaction to some characters.
Flag
That's my point you would fuck mass murderers.
I hope you don't get jury duties, because you would vote for the bad guy.
Flag
you know this is really a funny conversation...you think i am sick, but you are the one who needs serious therapy...you realise that Klaus and Damain and Stefan etc...are not real right...they are just characters...?? because if you see them only like that, then you have issues my man........Oh by the way..

PS: If i am fucking a mass murderer, i must be doing something right...i am still here...!!!

Go seek help please and leave me alone with this nonsense...or i have to report you to tv. com...!1
Flag
Observation: Katherine tells Nadia, " Stefan is my one true love. And I want it all."-Nadia says "I'd hate to be the person standing in your way"- flash to the Salvatore living room, Caroline, drinking a cup of coffee, all cute and wriggly. Standing in Katherine's way. Mmmmmm-Stefan, these are the kind of problems you WANT to have!!! Way better than drowning in a safe.
Flag
1) Not good.
2) I don't know, but I like it. Seriously, if we can't have Stefan/Katherine (and I mean Katherine, Katherine, not Katherine in Elena's body Katherine), and Klaus/Caroline isn't gonna happen again for a long time, than I'm all aboard the Stefan/Caroline train.
3) It's not looking good at this point...
4) Yeah, he was in the ep last week. :)
Flag
Can someone explain why no one realized that something was up with Katherine when Bonnie didn't see her spirit cross over to the other side? Presumably, since Katherine's spirit is inside Elena, she couldn't have crossed over after she died right?
Flag
It's Bonnie, she hardly notices anything.
Flag
Well Bonnie's been busy registering for classes with Jeremy! I don't think she's noticed yet!
Flag
inquiring minds want to know...
Flag
Flag
-Damon's speech was PERFECT and the whole time I just wanted to hulk-smash everything I could get my hands on!

-I love Katherine and her scheming. I'm glad she's not dead. I'm totally behind her and Stephan! I am NOT okay with the relationship casualty this time!

-The above being said, Damon on a psychotic binge is something I always enjoy watching.

- And Tyler. Act like a little bitch now but you should have thought of that before choosing revenge over your love. YOU left, and let's face it, every girl loves a bad boy.
Flag
Then go find mass murderer to fuck.
Flag
Basically. I understand Tyler's anger, BUT there's a few things that boy should think about...

1) If he came with Rebekah, then he should have known Klaus was there as well. Where did he think Klaus went?
2) HE LEFT HER. I'm sure Tyler would have been upset no matter who Caroline chose, but too bad. Caroline is now free to screw whoever she wants.
3) He chose wrong and no matter what Tyler may like to believe, he already has proof that Klaus would choose right.

Get mad if you want to Tyler, but also face fact: the big bad loves your girl more than you do.
Flag
I was feeling sad about Damon and Elena until "Bad Damon" showed up with Enzo - I had forgotten how awesome he was at being bad!!!!!!
Flag
How you feelin'?
Feeling a bit of deja vu after watching this episode.
What is going on with Caroline and Stefan?
Nothing at all. Men and women can be friends, it is possible.
Will Tyler ever get his life back together?
Maybe if he starts over in another town, there's really nothing in Mystic Falls for him.
Remember Jeremy?
Every damn day.

I have a few questions of my own:
  • Does anyone else remember the vial Aaron stole? Does this mean Aaron may not be dead, but might come back as some sort of Frankenstein Vampire?
  • What happen to the traveler's dagger that Matt was entrusted with? Doesn't Nadia remember she gave this to Matt and this can be used to kill Katherine.
  • Why does Katherine think going after Stefan is a good idea? How long does she really think she can fool Stefan that she is Elena.
  • Where did Dr. Wes run off to?
  • How exactly is Nadia going to fit into the Mystic Falls' family now? What is going to be her reason for staying? Is she suddenly going to become Elena's bbf and enroll in college as well, or is she just going to weirdly show up on campus and act like a fourth wheel.
  • As someone else mentioned below, does Kat killing the traveler mess with the spell that was done. Remember when Bonnie's death undid the Silas spell.
I don't mind Damon going all evil again. This is who Damon is. Looking forward to Damon's and Enzo's story.
More+
Flag
But the daylightrings done by Bonnie kept working during her dead-time
Flag
Your questions are really clever. I wonder if the characters remember those things - some of them I had forgotten myself! I'm curious as to how will Nadia justify her staying.
And I wonder if Aaron is really dead or if he actually drank the vial and is now going to turn into an Augustine?
Flag
At the end of the episode I was just thinking that Katherine should stay in Elena's body, she's so much more interesting than Elena! It would be kinda groundbreaking too. To change the main character in a show like this. I know it won't happen though… But at this point I feel like I don't know the Elena character anymore, after she turned her emotions off (and then back on) it's like she's a completely different person, without anything special about her.
Flag
Okay, I maybe in the minority but all this Welcome Back Damon shouldn't really apply to the Damon that ended this eppy. This Damon was a bratty Damon who resorted to killing again because he got rejected by a female. His whole motivation sprung from that....quite disappointing. Another thing I maybe in the minority about is I know Tyler suppose to be the jerk (never really cared that much for him) but in his confrontation with Caroline to be fair he did ask her to leave but she pressed it. And what did he say that was not true, she did screw Klaus....so I'm confused why Stefan thought that was so offensive. If one of my ex's told me they just had sex with the person who killed my parent, my voice might rise a tad bit too. So, now Elena and Damon are star-crossed lovers again.....this is tiresome. Love Katherine an all but really all this survival crap was so she could snag Stefan.....geez, maybe there is just too much "love" in the air in Mystic Falls.
Flag
I totally agree with you, especially about Tyler! I'm totally rooting for him to be the next big bad!
Flag
Stefan's chill-hero-attitude?! YEES!!!
Flag
Welcome back Damon, you've been missed!!!
Flag
Caroline is a terrible character. She's the typical ditz-blonde bimbo stereotype (and Julie Plec is CLEARLY living through her)!
I can't stand Caroline! 😝😝😝

I can't stand Tyler either so this statement has nothing to do with him or the whole Klaroline fanservice bullshit.

I just hate Caroline!
I wish they had swapped her with Lexi - now THAT was an awesome female character on this show!
Flag
- I am really tired
- Caro and Stefi are besties,... let them be that,... plus i loooooove that stefan is back,....
- tyler can get interesting,... i still have hope,... and as much as klaroline is a gift sent from forces above and beyond, he did have have a point there,...
- jeremy and bonnie need to go
Flag
Caroline can make her own decisions, she's not with anyone, but at the same time, Tyler does not have to like them. His anger, while annoying, is justified. From his stand point, Klaus is full of crap, but we the audience, along with Caroline, know that's not the case. Wolfing out is not a good move, but she pushed him. She should have left the room. I don't even know why she bothered anyway. That got on my nerves more then anything. Be the strong independent woman you are and tell him to deal with the consequences, Caroline!
Flag
this feels so tiring; i would much rather have katherine and elena separate and it is tiring to yoyo between damon and stefan.........
now i like katherine and elena is kind of annoying still its better to have them saparate, not carrying on in the same body...........
Flag
Does Katherine really think her plan to get Stefan back is gonna work I mean come on really?! Even if Stefan does fall for her, she ultimately won't be happy because she'll have to continue impersonating someone else so it won't be Stefan loves Kate it'll be Stef <3s E. This is obvs not gonna work gut w.e. Tyler deff needs to turn it up esp. being the most powerful he could run ishh in MF. Oh and Caroline gets on my nerves more and more every episode even though I have to admit I was in favor of her being ravaged by Klaus up against some random tree in the middle of the forest HA! But poor Tyler overhearing that right?
Flag
My apologies if someone said this earlier, but did Katherine killing the gypsy break or undo the spell with the body swap?
Flag
No. She was still her Katherine-y self afterward. Remember how she went on about Nadia's inherited good hair and how she's going to stick around to win Stefan back?
Flag
Poorly asked question on my part. I meant long term, is this the technicality for Elena to return.
Flag
I'm sure they're going to use that for the plot later on. Maybe the girls were sloppy in murdering that Gypsy and the spell has a loophole they don't know about. Now the other Travellers will know and will come after them?
Flag
Good question though, remember when Bonnie died it undid the spell she placed on Silas.
Flag
Yeah, except that was a cheap loop hole to bring back Silas. Notice they didn't use that for anything else. I.E. daylight rings. Everyone would have known about Bonnie's death pretty damn quick if the writers actually stuck to their guns.
Flag
Okay sticking point, wouldn't Bonnie have realised Katherine isn't dead when she didn't pass through her body to the other side. Like in the previous episode she appeared but then disappeared when she refused to die? AND now Elena's supposedly dead (nothing is every final in this show) shouldn't she also pass through her and then Bonnie will know Elena's dead and tell everyone?!
Flag
I agree about Katherine's soul not crossing over, and that's a great point, but I don't think Elena's dead. That is to say, I don't think her soul's gone anywhere. It's just in the back seat, like with any traveler possession, only this time it's been made "permanent" (or as permanent as anything is on TVD, e.g. Kat being stuck in that tomb "forever").
Flag
Yeah I don't think she's dead either. I can't see them permanently killing off their main character... but I don't want it to be one or the other either! Katherine is too much fun!
Flag
As much as I don't like where the story is going (Katherine in Elena's body, trying to win Stephan back, bla!), I loved that we get old Damon back. Yes, he's a killer. Every single one of the characters murdered somebody over these 5 years. The diference is that Damon admits he is a murder, it is kinda his thing. "I'm evil, I like to kill people, but I also have a heart", or something like that). He's not the Ripper. Stephan goes on murder spree because he's he drinks human blood and can't control himself. Damon does it because he likes it. I think in a twisted way, Damon is better, because he is a murder, knows it and don't apology for it.
And the whole Klaus/Caroline/Tyler thing. He was the right to be upset with her. But that doesn't mean that he can get mad at her, yell and go on werewolf mode. Keep it to yourself. Go to the corner, Tyler, cry your heart out and then we'll like you better. BUT DON'T YELL AT CAROLINE.
Flag
to be fair he did. he went into the office to have a drink by himself and she followed him. so yea he did exactly what he was suppose to do. i would have wolfed out on her too.
Flag
I love Caroline, but I was so damn mad when she didn't leave. Not because of Tyler's reaction (perfectly justified IMO), but because she shouldn't have to explain anything. Everyone else on this show has sex with whoever and don't care what people think, she shouldn't either dammit! Tyler left her. She told him not to and he left. He knew Klaus was vying for her affections and he still did it. Now he has to deal with the consequences and Caroline needs to stop acting like a pushover. Stick to your guns girl and stop pushing buttons that don't need to be pressed.
Flag
kill katherine , i am tired of her.
Flag
why, she's one of the best characters, elana needs to stay gone.
Flag
Well, I did watch a certain Soap Opera on CBS for 25 years, so I'm definitely been- there- done- that with favorite characters being finally together, and then, because it gets boring, forced apart again. I watched this happen to one particularly loved couple probably 7 or 8 times. It's a method, I get that. Doesn't mean I liked it. It got to where I didn't trust the relationship when they were together anymore. And eventually, stopped watching, knowing that if any of my favorite people get together, it won't be for long. So with Elana and Damon apart..I'll deal of course, but it's story manipulation, and it sucks.
Flag
Am I the only one that was rooting for Katherine to fully take over Elena's body. I just love Katherine, and they will find another way to bring back Elena, I mean she is the main character.
Flag
elana sucks, katherine is so much better, period point blank.
Flag
This was and innecessary and awful turn the story had. I'm realy dessappointed on this episode. It's like we are back on second season.
Flag
I really enjoyed this episode. Did it have plotholes? Yeah, but I'm willing to overlook those for the fun that's about that happen. (see, I'm not a total bitch)

I love having my Damon back. Damn, I missed his evil Devil-may-care ass! And Enzo became relevant again. YES! I love the dynamic duo of evil that's about to happen. Bring it on.

Also, Tyler, at this point, is probably the most powerful monster in Mystic Falls. No matter how old the others are over him, one bite from him will kill them. With Klaus out of their reach, he can do a lot of damage if they decide to make him a villain. It'd be the thing to do with his character right about now. One of them needs to go there, maybe he can be an accomplice to Katherine. I can totally see him feeling betrayed by all of his friends and going to the dark side. Let's do this, shall we?
Flag
I LOVE the idea of Tyler: the FINAL BOSS. Just imagine, he hates Klaus, but is doomed to be just the same to the heroes of Mystic Falls!
A team up with Katherine would be just amazing! *___*
But I really fear that making him a villain would only bring Klaus back :(
Flag
They Tyler being evil might actually work for the show Katherine is bad but there missing a big bad. I seriously think that they need more witches since Bonnie is down and out they need a powerful witch good or evil I don't care just as long as they get shit done. But yes a Tyler and Katherine team could be very interesting
Flag
I actually would like to see that because I've been wishing for a Tylena friendship to be built.With Katherine taking over Elena's body,it's close enough
Flag
Old Damon is back, at least until Elena returns then he will be a puppy again, but in the meantime I'll enjoy the Enzo/Damon team up.
I liked Enzo alot is this episode I hope he stays around for the rest of the season.
I'm surprised they let Elena go, even if is for a few episodes, 100% Katherine and no Elena ? hell yes!
But let's face it, in the moment Katherine jumped into Elena's body she signed her death sentence, as unpopular as Elena is she is still the main heroine so at some point all this is going to explode in Katherine's face and there is no way the writers would pick Kat over Elena.
Katherine taking out the trash because that's what Elena would do - LOL.
Plot holes. Sure why not ? The fact that and older vampire is overpowered by a younger one happens every time the writers need to is annoying. And lets use chains to restrain a vampire, that will work. Oh and lets not kill the people who is trying to kill me I just have to run very fast and I'll be save. Supid Elena.
It seems to me they are using Katherine to make look good Elena, my question is why ? They did the same last season, the thing is, Elena was a likable character the first three seasons, sure she was annoying but nowhere near like she is right now, is like in their attempt of -for some reason- make her likable, it turned out the opposite, 4th and 5th seasons Elena is a horrible character, anyway is just something that I don't understand.
I heard some theories how they plan to make Elena come back:
- They use the traveller's knife and kill Katherine for good.
- They are going to introduce a new doppelganger and Katherine will jump to that body.
- Elena becomes an angel like is supposed to happen in the books. I haven't read the books so I have no idea if this is real.
With the originals in their own show and Katherine possibly dying for good at some point in the season, It maybe a good idea to do the angel plot, it's not like they have much left with the originals and Kat gone, other than the "awesome" love triangle. Just guessing here who knows what will happen.
Oh yeah and some guy named Aaron is supposed to be dead, whatever.
More+
Flag
I disagree. Elena was never liked in the earlier seasons. She is completely self obssessed and an absolute moron.

In fact she slightly rose in popularity only after being vamped mostly because she stopped being an utter moron and went active.

Katherine won't die permenantly. No way, she's the most popular character on this show. They'll just move her into another body.
My guess is most likely they'll shift Elena into Amara's body (making her human again) or less likely the proffessor will build her a new body (either frankenstein style or cloning)

Flag
Naa, she was still a moron, but as a vampire, she at least had the strength to actively participate in the stupid plans, rather than just make them up and later on be a martyr.
Flag
It's getting boring... Kathrine inside Elena's body will chase Stefan, Damon will be bad again... Once again the love triangle and the whole general storyline are repeating themselves. I can't bare it... And there is practically no interesting plot until now... :(
Flag
I never thought I'd say this but, I will miss Elena. She's a character I love to be annoyed by. I want to smack her all time, but that makes me feel better about myself, because no way I'm I as dumb as she is. Oh well, you don't know what you got till its gone...
Flag
for all those people that are defending the caroline/klause hookup, how? have you all forgotten that klause had tyler bite her when he was still under the sire bond? have you people forgotten all the things he has done to everyone? of course tyler chose to get revenge on klause and for good reason to. if someone killed your mom and they were just gonna continue to live forever because people are afraid of him, you'd go take revenge on him to. if you dated somebody that you were in love with and you guys broke up, you would not sleep with the person that killed his mother. that makes you evil in someway shape of form, not in the same way of course, but in a i accept all the evil crap you did now have sex with me sort of way.

yes i am aware that damon is pure evil as well, they should have staked him a long time ago. katherine has done evil things as well, i just like her character so much that i give her a pass most i guess. but i will say that she has reasons for the things she does usually not just to kill out of pleasure. as a matter of fact she'll probably refrain from killing people as long as no one is trying to kill her.
More+
Flag
Okay, first, his name is Klaus. No "e".
Klaus is far from innocent. Diabolical is probably an appropriate description. He has done evil, horrible things. As someone else pointed out, pretty much everyone has done so, including Matt who killed Klaus's brother Finn, therefore killing his entire line of vampires. Yes Klaus killed Tyler's mom, right after Tyler set Klaus up to be killed by his hybrids, which was a total fail because of Hayley being a back stabbing...well, you know.
So, no one is innocent, Klaus is diabolical and yep, I love that he and Caroline hooked up. Totally understand why Tyler's mad, but he doesn't get to have a say. He chose revenge over Caroline. Klaus chose Caroline twice over revenge. And, Klaus has had a lot longer to do all the terrible things he's done. Have Tyler get back to me in a thousand years and we'll discuss how squeaky clean he is.

As far as Caroline being evil for sleeping with Klaus...nope. Klaus is the only character that has EVER made Caroline their first choice in regards to anything, even after she has helped distract him when the others were trying to kill him.

So, yay for Caroline finally doing something just for herself and for Klaus finally having someone admit they care for him for no other reason than he is just a person (vampire, hybrid, whatever) and not as part of some plan.
More +
Flag
I just wish Caroline stuck to her guns and didn't feel so guilty about her decision. Tyler left her, everyone else does whatever the hell they want, damn how everyone else feels. Caroline needs to get in that mindset too. She's no less a bad friend then anyone else in their group so she should stop putting so much pressure on herself.
Flag
actually matt killing finn was not him being evil. you forget at this point they were trying to get rid of the evil original vampires that had been awaken. sure fin was the "good" one but he wanted to be sacrificed anyways. also they didn't know about the whole killing the whole line of vampire thing yet. also someone trying to kill klaus is not evil, it's a good deed for society. so kaluse retaliating by drowning his mother is not acceptable, she was innocent. and you right in that he doesn't get a say in who she sleeps with, but klaus as done terrible things to everyone, including caroline, nobody in their group should ever sleep with him. also being immortal doesn't mean you automatically become a serial killer. so sure she can sleep with him if she wants. when you knowingly/willingly sleep with somebody that has actively tortured your friends you in turn are condoning their actions and are evil/bad by association for being intimate with said person. therefore you have to be ready for the consequences of your actions when other people find out.
Flag
Tyler's anger is justified, but Caroline is allowed to make her own decisions. Klaus has attempted to redeem himself for her, so if she accepts the humanity in him that's her decision. Tyler has a right to be upset, but he also needs to deal with the consequences of his own actions. Why did he think it would be okay to come crawling back after breaking her heart? Just because you got your ass kicked doesn't mean your allowed to go back on your word. Caroline does not have to wait on the back burner for him, nor does she have to ignore her own desires because it hurts someone's feelings. No one else does, so why should she?
Flag
I will never forgive Katherine for what she did to Jeremy (twice)!!!
Flag
Oddly enough, every single character on this show is nothing but evil and they are all mass murders (even human Matt...)

With the sole exception of Tyler. He's the only one that hasn't killed other than accident or self defense - yet he's the bad guy...
Flag
True, but his stupidity knows no bounds. I get his storyline, but going after Klaus was stupid. You knew you would lose. You thought you'd die, fine. Don't come crawling back to Caroline and expect her to welcome you with open arms. What the hell was he thinking coming back to Mystic Falls? You could see it on his face. "Yeah, Rebekah said she sent me for Matt, but I'm actually just here to get back with you Caroline, pretty please." What happened to all those werewolves he was living with before? Go live with them.
Flag
Yeah... those werewolves who are so rare vampires in this show didn't even know they exist and are now all over the world LOL
Not to mention, parts of the world that have 0 cellphone reception for some reason.

Never said Tyler was smart. He is a total moron like everyone on this show. It's like they are going for really attractive people that are insanely dumb as a type or something.
Flag
Flag
Good point, never saw it that way.
But Tyler was such an ass in season 1 and it looks like the ass is reemerging.
Flag
He wasn't the nicest guy in the world, but bullying doesn't come close to mass murder...

Plus... Remember that back then Caroline was a blonde airhead and Jeremy was a drugged Emo kid,

They grew up since then
Flag
C'mon, he was just a teen ager with issues :P uncomparable to the other "evil characters"
Flag
I understand how people thought it was bad that Caroline slept with Klaus but Elena has slept with Damon MULTIPLE times and Stefan slept with Katherine. I also don't get how people NEVER get mad when Damon kills someone but when Klaus kills someone, everyone starts getting angry. Don't get me wrong, I love Damon but he has killed so many people in the past just for fun or he was bored. He can't control his emotions and isn't responsible for his actions. On the other hand, Klaus actually has reasons to kill people. I'm not saying they're good reasons, but at least they're more sensible compared to Damon's.

Ugh I hate Tyler so much. He has no place in this show and for the people who feel sorry Tyler, why? It's his fault that his hybrids died because he tried to plot up against a 1,000 year old vampire. What did he expect to happen? Not only that but he ran away like a coward so that Klaus could take revenge by killing anyone that Tyler cared about. Then he decided to leave Caroline to go get his ass kicked in New Orleans. He decided to choose revenge over love and wasn't even successful. Let's not forget about how he attacked and kidnapped a pregnant lady in New Orleans or how he let the werewolves shoot Caroline in the head and shove her into a cage. And if you think that's all he's done, then you're dead wrong. Remember in the first season when he constantly bullied and beat up Jeremy? Jeez I hated Tyler so much and I still do. I understand that almost every character has done something bad and that Klaus, Katherine, Damon, etc. are way worse than him but seriously, he's really annoying and isn't even that important in this show and so I hope that the writers kill him off soon.
More+
Flag
There is no way damon has killed as many as klaus... No way. Plus u can't compare caroline sleeping with klaus with damon sleeping with elena. Damon has made it obviouse dat he would always protect elena even if he has to die doing so. I doubt klaus feels dt way
Flag
Umm do you recall Klaus going after Alaric? Remember, they told him he had Elena, he basically said oh well. They told him he had Caroline too, and Klaus was all gung ho, let's go save our ladies.
Flag
Does it make a difference how many more has Damon killed, or Klaus? I don't think the gravity of murder can be defined by a number...
Flag
I'm pretty sure Klaus would defend and protect Caroline with his dying breath.
Flag
Why take it just there? Heck, Stefan himself is a freaking mass murderer. He even murdered Andy just for the heck of it.

As for Tyler... You're really streching it. Bullying isn't the nicest thing in the world, but that doesn't come anywhere near the fact that every other character on this show are freaking mass murderers.

Slight proportions here please...

Tyler actually has the least amount of body count.
Flag
You do have a point, and I don't remember what Ty's plan to defeat Klaus was, but it is true that they died because hailey tipped Klaus off. So then he killed his mother. So then I can understand why Ty did what he did to Hayley in the swamp.
He is kind of a male version of Sophie: desperate, lonely, defeated.
Flag
Hayley made up the entire thing though. She told Tyler she had a witch that could put Klaus back in Tyler's body (just like Bonnie did at the end of Season 3) and then the hybrids were going to put Tyler in concrete. There was no witch though. Shane & Hayley's entire plan from the beginning was get Klaus to kill the hybrids for the expression triangle (the same way Shane got Pastor Young to blow up the Founder's Council). So it was probably always part of Hayley's plan to tip off Klaus.

Tyler had no plan of his own so it's not like Hayley ruined his plan because it didn't even exist. Hayley was just using him to lead the hybrids to their deaths the same way that Klaus was used to kill them.
Flag
I actually thought Tyler was gonna take Klaus down and Tyler & Caroline's relationship problems would revolve around Hayley.But then I found out what their plan was and I said "what a stupid plan!" and knew something was going to go wrong because the plans that Stefan & Damon came up with to kill Klaus(back when they planned on killing him instead of making the last minute loophole)actually made sense and they failed
Flag
Thank you, I had totally forgotten! So I guess Hayley was really bad and Tyler got all of the collateral damage :(
Flag
This show's glory years are well behind it. There can be action, twists and turns and still some good eps. but these kind of shows that have such radical change stray from their original dynamic. Anything and everything can change due to some witch stepping in. I'm not concerned with the love triangle anymore and Katherine is overrated I feel.
Flag
The brilliance of hurricane Katherine, each time she hits Mystic Falls, is that she can only fuck things up as much as everyone lets her, and they let her every time. She sort of just slithers around and effortlessly exposes truths and weaknesses already there.

Point A) Even after having the info that Katherine can cheat death by traveling dropped into their laps by Nadia, Elena still goes to visit the woman on her deathbed, alone. Because why would a dying sociopathic survivor EVER jump into a healthy, super-strong body that looks just like her own?

Point B) All Kat had to do to ensure a Caroline/Tyler reunion didn't happen was spend three seconds repeating what Caroline had just said. You know, at a party - in Tyler's house - thrown in honor of him being back in said home. But definitely divulge your secret then & there, Caroline. It's not like you ex has preternatural hearing, anyway.

Point C) Even after possession Elena had two chances to get the upperhand on Katherine and blew them both. Had she killed the traveler performing the spell instead of simply pushing her away, and then immediately screamed to Damon something like "Katherine's in my body!" rather than "Damon! Thank God!" (or whatever nonsense she spewed while running to hug him) Kat wouldn't be in charge of her body now. Elena did try, and she did fairly well, what with breaking free of her chains and playing it cool in the church until she could attack and get away, but she still didn't do ALL she could to fight and win. Katherine always does. Until Elena brings some REAL determination and awareness of who she's dealing with to the table she's going to keep losing.

Point D) Kat easily got Damon to completely screw himself over yet again. He proved her point for her literally right away. Her claim: I can't be with you because I can't be the only thing keeping you good and as soon as we broke up you went and did something horrible (meaning his treatment of dying Kat). Response: Goes and murders Elena's friend.

If only these people would get it together they'd stop having their asses handed to them again & again. They make Katherine's job way too easy.
More+
Flag
I can agree with everything except for the fact that Katherine could care less about Caroline's relationship with Tyler.She just likes to stir up drama.And she made Damon think Elena no longer wanted to be with him because he was a "monster" due to the way he treated her while she was dying unlike Stefan and even Elena.She would've at least let him down easily with the old "it's always going to be Stefan" speech since we know Katherine loves Stefan more than she loves Damon.But because of him playing with her mind and wanting to kill her,she decided to get back at him by making him thinking his relationship with Elena was over and caused him to go back to the old Damon
Flag
May I add E?
If idiot Matt had just drank vervain instead of wearing a bracelet, they wouldn't be able to compel him.
Flag
Agreed. It's kind of funny how the whole Mystic Falls gang hasn't gotten any smarter or more aware or even changed up how they go about solving problems since S1. They're always three steps behind whoever the villain is, and never proactive, only reactive. They could all use a healthy dose of paranoia and resolve. Their lives would be better for it. I'm waiting for one of them to surprise me. Show even a drop of the initiative that characters like Katherine and Klaus have. It's not a good vs evil thing. It's a "Do you want to be in control of your life, or do you want to keep getting bit in the ass?" thing.
Flag
It's okay Price, I'm with you. Elena + any Salvatore has turned into something approaching Twilight level puke, and so I'm happy if neither of those angles pan out because this show is so much better than that love triangle.

At the same time Katherine is awesome, and Elena never has the best plans (as this episode proved). Have a feeling we could be headed for some good episodes for the rest of the season, even though its inevitable that Katherine is leaving Elena's body one way or another before the season is over.

Caroline + Stefan moments were golden.
Flag
all this elena and katherine situation has me really confuse... katherine has taken complete controll over elena's body, that means elena is dead right? so she should have passed to the other side, which means bonnie should have seen her, or at least jeremy. i love katherine and i like the idea of her still being in the show, but even if sometimes i want to punch elena on the face she cant be just gone, at least she should be a ghost because she is the main character. if elena is ghost i bet that bonnie or someone would try to get her back and success, because ... main character...daah??
i cant care less about tyler because i hate that guy.
really want steroline to be friends, because their friendship is beautiful, and its the only friendship that hasn't ended as a couple.
really sad about the end of klaroline, THEY WERE PERFECT TOGHETHER!
really exited about the evil damon back, its going to be so fan to see the villian part of him that i really missed!! and i think its going to be a great shock for him when he realises that who broke up with him was katherine and not elena.
More+
Flag
Klaroline should've never happened in the first place because it is nothing more than a fan service ship.Tyler & Caroline are perfect for each other no matter if their ship isn't as popular.It makes sense because they weren't exactly the nicest people in the beginning of the show but their maturity levels changed as the show went on,she was a cheerleader while he was a jock,they went from not being able to stand each other to saying "I love you",he broke every bone in his body 100 time to break his sire bond to Klaus just to get Caroline back,nothing happened between Tyler & Hayley while he spent months with her breaking the sire-bond while Klaus slept with Hayley just after spending one night with her
Flag
No, Elena is not dead. Just like she wasn't dead when Katherine was in control temporarly. The spell only switches who has control and prevent Elena from popping out.

Think of it like split personalities. One is active the rest are dormant.
Elena is "asleep" sort of.
Flag
Elena is probably just sealed in the bottom of her own mind, asleep.
Flag
I am not a Delena fan, I am a delete-elena fan, so I am loving how events turned out!
Flag
... How you feelin'?
Pretty good, the episode was solid and entertaining IMO. Katherine is just the best and I hope she and Elena share Elena's body forever, mind-switch when plot needs it. Wouldn't that be fun.

... What is going on with Caroline and Stefan?
I do hope Steroline is happening. Maybe they could choose it to demonstrate that first loves are just that? Like a certain teen monsters show?

... Will Tyler ever get his life back together?
I think he, Matt and Jeremy should just start a brotherhood of the hunks someplace very far away. I would want Tyler back just as a villain, because he was totally right about Klaus. But this is not Teen Wolf, so being a murderer isn't a big deal.

... Remember Jeremy?
Vaguely.
Flag
I liked Damon best in the first season so for me the return of the Villain Damon is a good thing.
I am also very happy with what happened in the Elena/Katherine storyline because I truly like Katherine better than Elena. She is just way more awesome. I don't know when it happened but I kind of hate Elena these days, and one of my favorite scenes on The Vampire Diaries was on the Island when Rebekah pointed out that Elena is not as good as everyone is making her out to be. I'm kind of tired of everyone putting Elena on a pedestal when she is no better than anyone else. in fact she is worse. Katherine on the other hand is the best, she is fun, smart, competent and a true survivor.
Tyler has always been a douchebag, and that never changed. Yes Klaus killed his mom, but he never took any responsibility for that. He was scheming against Klaus and than when his plan failed he ran away, and left his mother to pay the price. Then he broke up with Caroline, packed his bags and went to New Orleans where he kidnapped, tortured and tried to kill a pregnant girl. And I'm not even going to mention all of the horrible things he did in the first and second season. My point is He is a bad gut, and I don't care that he is hurting.
Oh I also loved the Katherine and Matt scene when she asked him who Elena liked better Bonnie or Caroline, and than added "please say Caroline". It just showed how great Katherine is since jut like almost everyone watching she too likes Caroline better.

More+
Flag
In Tyler's defense, he probably didn't think Klaus would go after his mom.
He most likely forgot she existed, just like the rest of us.
Flag
You are probably right, but that just makes his anger with Klaus even more annoying. I mean how much could he have possibly cared about his mother if he forgot to protect her
Flag
I really dislike Caroline this season. Sure, every character has done horrible things but at least they are not acting like "D'awww am I that bad?" Sure you are, Caroline and I am not saying this jokingly like Stefan did.
Flag
Phew. Well, you are doing something wrong if you hate Caroline.

At least she knows she did a bad thing and she's sorry. Not the same can be said about most of the characters on this show.
Flag
I see a lot of comments about how people are sick of the triangle and while I completely agree, I don't think the writers will do anything to put a stop to this exhaustive formula!
99% of this shows fandom is made up of two groups:
Group #1 The fans who want Elena to be with Stefan aka Stelena.
Group #2 The fans who want Elena to be with Damon aka Delena.
(There's also the tiny 1% which is made up of people who couldn't care less which brother Elena ends up with. We just have to put up with this overused teen TV trope and take pleasure in the little side plots.)
The way the TVD writers see it, the triangle has worked for them for 5 years and 101 episodes. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The unfortunate thing is that to most people of the 1%, it is oh so very broke and has been since second half of Season 3.
However, the triangle will last as long as the show does. If the writers chose to kill the triangle by having Elena choose brother X definitively they'd lose 45% of their audience and they'd have an angry teen mob (armed with torches, pitchforks and social media) to deal with.
So they continue with the same old formula: Elena is with brother X but still has feelings for brother X.
Ofcourse they think they're doing something interesting (or different) by also throwing in the so-called "plot twists" which come in the form of relationship hurdles like:
Brother X has turned bad,
Brother X has become good,
the famous "humanity switch" flipping on/off
and the current one: the "body-snatch" - the oldest trick in TV trope book, right next to amnesia (which they also did this season).
It is a never ending cycle. This wheel will keep spinning!
Why? Well, when the writers chose to follow through with Elena getting together with Damon (fan service), the fandom split into the two groups and they wrote themselves into a corner (which is triangle-shaped!).
They acknowledged that their protagonist is capable of being with both brothers so they could no longer have her chose just one, at least not definitely. Hell, they even made her transformation into a Vampire ALL ABOUT THE TRIANGLE. Turning Elena into a Vampire was a pretty daring move with tons of potential but it got squashed by the dreaded triangle. Instead of giving the character some agency, they made her whole existence based on two men.

That's what Elena's character comes down to: whichever Salvatore needs fan service (aka makes her tingle) at any given time.
So for anyone who thinks that Elena is fated to be with brother X - you are reacting EXACTLY how the writers want you to react. I mean it's not your fault. As long as 45% of the fandom is unhappy (and very vocal about it) at any given time, the writers are happy.
Think about it. The writers had a pretty good opportunity to trump the triangle so many times. Most recently with the Katherine plot, this season. They could've had Katherine stay alive (in her body) and given one dopplegänger to each brother but they didn't (although, the Katherine body-snatch could've also been a decision based on the fact that Nina Dobrev probably needed a break from being on set 24/7).
Still, they chose to keep the triangle afloat instead.
Who knows maybe the show will end with Elena marring Brother X and them having a Vampire super-baby who ages 20 years within two episodes and the baby ends up marring the other one - á la Twilight. Oh wait, they're doing the vamp-baby storyline on The Originals! Damn!
He'll, I've even said that they should have Elena be with both at brothers same time. Have them live happily ever after as a incestuous threesome (which they kinda are anyway). I mean throw the 1% of the audience a bone and give us a new central plot. Yeah I know, not gonna happen.
The truth is, I used to really enjoy this show. As silly as it was, it had heart and it made me *feel* while simultaneously entertaining the heck out of me!
Now, I just don't enjoy it anymore. Nearly every character has become irredeemable, unrelatable, unstable, morally corrupt and just generally unlikeable.
I mean when the antagonist, the most awful characters on the show ("the Villain") becomes the fan-favourite - it speaks volumes of how terrible the "good guys" must be!
More+
Flag
"I mean when the antagonist, the most awful characters on the show ("the Villain") becomes the fan-favourite - it speaks volumes of how terrible the "good guys" must be!'

I like this last line.
Flag
Thanks for making it through to the last line. That must've been a chore to get through. My comments usually turn into novellas when I feel like I've got something to say. Lol
Flag
I don't actually care either way and all ship-stans are menaces to society in my opinion, but still: Let it be known that this show WILL get crazy like that.

This. This show sometimes suck because of the shipper fans. The idea that Katherine will now again play imposter won't be a danger to anyone because she isn't interersted in hurting people or running from Klaus but to get back Stefan so she has to behave which basically turns this into another lame relationship drama. I for one hope Katherine finds something more interesting to go for.

But..at least Villain Damon is back! That's just great. All we need now is Katherine with an ulterior motive, less relationship crap and a new, original plot and this show will be back on track. I hope more Travellers arrive and create some conflict but it seems the writers can't wrap a decent story arc whenever they arrive.
Flag
You pretty much win the "Hero of the Day Award" every Wednesday and Saturday with me!
Also, please, please, pleeeeaaase no Caroline and Stefan lovething. I love them as friends and to have this one great buddy-ship between a pretty guy and a pretty gal evens out a lot of the teen romance stereotypes for me.
And, yes, I am also veeery tired of Tyler. What was the whole point of having him leave Mystic Falls to go to New Orleans if they were gonna have him come back? Why couldn't they just keep him on the Originals?
Flag
Exactly, I really don't understand what they're doing with Tyler. I mean, why have him on The Originals at all? At least they could've given him an interesting plot instead of turning him into a total douchebag.
I agree regarding Stefan and Caroline. Why can't a guy and a girl just be friends!? Why do people want two characters of the opposite sex to always end up in a relationship. I mean, if Tyler and Matt weren't straight or were of opposite sexes would people straight away assume that they should hook up?
PLEASE LET CAROLINE AND STEFAN STAY FRIENDS! Friends are awesome and this show needs a healthy friendship.
Flag
From Tyler's speech to Matt, it seems they want Tyler to go through some existenstial emo crap so that he'll make something of himself.
Flag
Let's hope so!
Flag
I admit that I thought about a Ty-Matt hook up at that scene XD
Flag
Hehe. Fair enough! ;)
Flag
I like Matt/Tyler but Matt/Jeremy better not be forgotten.
Flag
The best would be Tyler/Jeremy. They were drawing buddies once!
Flag
I am a Delena shipper all the way but this Katherine taking over Elena's body thing is excellent!!! Love it to bits. It's just sad cause I reckon we may see the last of Katherine sometime soon (I don't think they can keep everyone from finding out about her tbh).
Flag
I'm not a Delena shipper but I said the same thing about Katherine's arc this season. I think that's their way of writing the character out of the show. I think Katherine will be gone by the end of this season.
Flag
No way is Katherine going anywhere. They'll separate the two of them. Just look at the comments here and see how popular Katherine is.
Flag
Yeah because this show has never killed off a fan favourite before! O.o
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members