A The Vampire Diaries Community
Friday 8:00 PM on The CW

The Vampire Diaries S05E13: "Total Eclipse of the Heart"

Who are you? Who were you? Who will you become? Who am I? Who was I? Where are we going? What is happening? What is this? Who is what? Are we here? Why is this? When do we? What is today? Where were you? Where is everybody? Are we okay? Were we ever okay? Where is our love? What even is love? Does anything make sense anymore? Can you hear the ocean? Where are my diamonds? Who left a baboon in the backseat of my car? Who drank my Cactus Cooler? Who stole my bones? Is there a gypsy witch vampire hiding in your skull? WHO do you love NOW? 

These are questions.

Guys, "Total Eclipse of the Heart" was a very existential episode! In a general sense it was also very retro: Tons of Season 1 feels all over the place, from the diary intro (again with the diary intro!), but especially to the very Season 1-seeming Damon. The only thing that was missing was the white pancake makeup, but other than that, this was old-school Damon for sure. (Still patiently waiting for another Depeche Mode underwear dance party scene.) The problem, though, is that whereas it was fun to see Damon like that in Season 1, it's kind of a major drag now? That's not necessarily a complaint, because I respect this show's willingness and ability to upset the viewer so easily. It's more just a moment-to-moment enjoyment type thing. Seeing harm come to Jeremy is obviously one of my triggers, but even intellectually, seeing Damon pull these shenanigans doesn't seem to add up when viewed against all his experiences over the past few years. I thought he had come to really care about these people, but I guess when you dump someone and then someone else impersonates the girlfriend you dumped and refuses to get back together with you, things like hard-built trust, empathy, and platonic love fly out the window real quick. 

Anyway, enough about that stuff: I love, love LOVE this Katherine-as-Elena stuff. Elena can stay away forever, as far as I'm concerned. Obviously Katherine still has a ways to go to fully humanize herself, but at least that's a journey I can get behind. Like, she only saved Jeremy's life out of obligation, but one gets the feeling she'll come to understand that giving love tends to ensure she'll get it back in return. You know? Putting Katherine at the fore is like experiencing the premise and characters with fresh eyes! And honestly, seeing Katherine struggle to BE Elena is as much a celebration of Elena as anything else. She might be trapped in Katherine's subconscious, but she all over this episode in a really elegantly written way. Katherine-as-Elena was like the best of both characters kind of? Anyway, "Total Eclipse of the Heart," am I right? I liked it, especially the parts I didn't dislike!

Let's talk about it!

We began on the Whitmore campus with Katherine writing in a diary! This was very stupid for two reason: (1) Ugh, diary voiceovers are officially back this season, what a truly weird creative decision. But also (2) why is Katherine creating stone-cold evidence of her schemes! Why is she writing in her diary about taking over Elena's body in a way that can be easily discovered later? Disappointed in you, K. Anyway, this scene was still fun because it showed that Katherine was loving life. She especially liked Elena's bed and Elena's makeup and and Elena's vampirism and Elena's lack of everyone-openly-despising her. Honestly, I think that body-jacking is wrong morally but this was all pretty poignant. Katherine was high on life! But one thing she did NOT like was Elena's recent love life:

Haha I love Katherine but this was pretty low in my opinion. Deleting her pictures? That seems like a crime to me. I hope that I don't get body-jacked at any point, if only to protect the contents of my phone. (My phone is a tin can containing an owl pellet.)

Oh here's one skill Katherine now has: Being able to read flyers when they are upside down and turned over.

That night there was going to be a Bitter Ball, for single people to get gussied up and make out on the dance floor in front of pink twinkle lights. It was gonna be a time! 

Also Bonnie sat next to an obvious witch:

Poor Bonnie. I forgot that she no longer had witch powers. I bet she got super sad when she saw this girl spinning a pen. Imagine all that pure power it takes to spin a pen. Oh, the memories.

Then Stefan came home to the Salvatore Shanty only to find THIS mess:

Stefan was NOT surprised to find all this. (Also was I the only one surprised that Shaun Sipos appeared in this episode as a corpse? That always seems so disrespectful to a guest-star, making them play a dead body. I hope he got his full fee? But also I expected him to come alive as a baby vampire at any moment. Didn't somebody heal him with vampire blood recently? Anyway, spoiler, he didn't come back alive, so forget I said anything.)

Inside the house everything was a mess and Damon was a groggy jerk and Enzo did NOT make a great first impression on Stefan.

Yeah, Damon was definitely going off the deep end in this episode, even if only from a hygiene stand point. At least he had the decency to wash off the caked, dried blood from his mouth region, that was disgusting!

I liked this fakeout:

Haha we were meant to believe Katherine was asking Stefan out, but she was really only practicing on Matt. I will always love Katherine's impression of Elena, and it's the ways she gets its sliiiightly wrong that just illustrate how good of an actress Nina Dobrev is. This is like yet another subtle variation on both characters. Next level stuff.

Anyway, Nadia took Matt's phone and got so mad at her mom for using Matt's brain like that.

Haha Katherine. What a sass-monster.

Meanwhile at an ABANDONED HOSPITAL. Hahah of course there is an abandoned hospital near Mystic Falls. Very few people get sick, their afflictions are just straight-murders. For me the main joke was that the inside of this building was nearly indistinguishable from the regular hospital. All dimly lit and underpopulated. This exterior shot was obviously something from a horror film but I'm guessing this was probably the safest building in the area, murder-wise. Or it HAD BEEN until Dr. Maxfield set up shop to create more super vampires:

So then some foxy lady showed up and offered to help him in his quest to create super vampires or something. Plus she had that syringe full of Ripper Potion from few episodes back AND she brought news that Aaron was probably real dead. I don't know who this lady was, but she seemed interesting, very interesting indeed. But really the whole time I was just so happy to see Dr. Maxfield again. I know he is a despicable villain but I don't care, I like to look at his face SUE ME. (I can't be sued, I currently live in international waters.)

Then Stefan interrupted Enzo's very peaceful shallow-grave-digging session.

I am starting to get the impression that these two don't like each other much. If I'm being real I don't really like or understand Enzo at all, but I DID LIKE AND UNDERSTAND his fondness for lying spread-eagle in a shallow grave:

Hahah we've all been there. (I'll be there soon!)

Meanwhile, Stefan needed to tell "Elena" that Aaron was dead, and this conversation ended up being such a good example of how much game Katherine has:

Somehow she turned a super intense convo into an invitation to a dumb college mixer. I liked when Stefan complained that he'd already been to college twice, as though that was somehow more embarrassing than going to high school over and over again. Also there was a funny bit where Stefan casually mentioned Enzo and Katherine had no idea who that was and had to text Nadia about it. Man, how had Katherine never heard of Enzo's existence yet? Do these people have ANY conversations when the cameras aren't rolling? (This is a reality show right?)

Meanwhile at the Mystic Grill, Tyler showed up to hopefully pull an Eternal Sunshine situation via booze.

I loved when they all traded stories of their terrible mothers. One time Mayor Lockwood wrote a paper for Tyler (ugh, what a corrupt woman) and also Matt mentioned the time that his mom made sweet love to Tyler and I got so sad that Melinda Clark hasn't been back since Season 1. BRING HER BACK. Forget the diary narration or old-school Damon or Vicki ghosts any of those other retro flavors, please bring back Matt's mom ASAP! I once heard a rumor that she was originally supposed to end up being a succubus and sometimes that's all I can think about. Just imagine it!

Then Tyler went to the bathroom (which JUST FYI is official confirmation that vampires don't pee or poo but hybrids DO. I'm serious, this was actually addressed finally.) but before he got there he noticed Nadia compelling Matt about Enzo. Busted!

Oh, this was a very troubling sequence:

Haha not that part. Although yes, why weren't they in a hotel room doing tons of shirtless hugs? The part that bugged was that Damon needed Bonnie's help finding a witch to use a locator spell on Dr. Maxfield (he and Enzo still had a hit list) and so he strong-armed Bonnie into helping him by threatening Jeremy's life! 

I truly didn't understand this part. Bonnie probably would have just helped if he'd been nicer about it. And if there's any question about how ambivalent Damon felt about harming Elena's brother, look at the expression on his face while Jeremy's skull was being crushed:

My main problem with seeing Damon revert to his "old" ways is because we've seen him go through too much growth for any of this to be believable. It was one thing seeing him be a dickish villain in Season 1 because that was the beginning of his arc. But to see him look past all the progress he'd made with Jeremy (remember their roadside hug earlier in the season) and Bonnie (he'd been super aggressive in trying to resurrect her) felt fraudulent somehow. It maybe would've been nice if this episode implied that he was putting on an act or deep down was troubled by what he was doing, but nope. He just seemed to be enjoying himself. So yeah, this part was jarring, especially because of how Bonnie and Jeremy regarded him as a friend. I don't know. Look, I like seeing Damon "have fun" and "cut loose" too, but I'm not sure I believed the way he did it in this episode.

Anyway, at the ball, Katherine started putting the moves on Stefan immediately, which he found odd considering she was supposed to be going through a tough breakup.

But then, in what would become a major recurring theme (WONDER WHY?) Caroline interrupted them and Stefan seemed relieved about it.

Hmmmmm. But on the other hand, again, I don't think what Katherine did was right, but part of me was kinda feeling empathy for what she was trying to do. She really does like this guy, and I think that having to pose as Elena has tempered her bitchery a lot. I was definitely seeing traces of insecurity and open-hearted pathos in her behavior here, so I'm pretty much invested in seeing things turn out well for her. But on the other, other hand, it's VERY understandable why Stefan isn't really into it. I'm not sure he detects that something is off about "Elena," but I would understand if all the recent events have left him too frazzled to feel particularly romantic, you know? Like he's just not on that wavelength at the moment. I DON'T KNOW, WHAT DO I KNOW? NOTHING.

This dance had a shredder station for people to shred pictures of their exes, so Caroline shredded photos of Tyler and also the portrait Klaus had drawn for her that one time. Very poignant! But yes, as much as I enjoy the Klaus-Caroline relationship, I'd say this part constituted closure as far as TVD is concerned. Sorry, guys. I'm sad too. 

So then Damon came out and informed everyone that if he didn't find a new witch he was going to kill Jeremy!

He even had a picture on his phone to prove it!

At this point Katherine had a crisis of conscience: Should she save Jeremy's life like Elena would, or let him die and then appreciate Stefan's soothing, comforting, sensual touch after the wake?

I loved how mad Nadia got at that idea! She was so mad at Katherine and shouted at her to go save Jeremy. For one thing, duh, letting Jeremy die would not only ruin Katherine's cover it would make all her friends like her way less, but also maybe Nadia has SEEN Jeremy and realizes that nobody should let an angelface babyhunk like that come to harm? Nadia may literally be a monster but she's not a MONSTER.

Anyway, Bonnie definitely did not want to see harm come to the #1 guest of honor at her bone zone so she cornered that other witch in the kitchen and asked her for help. Perhaps sensing that being associated with this crew essentially guarantees a premature and grisly demise, the witch turned her down.

But Caroline was admittedly very convincing!

The next thing we knew, Bonnie was talking the girl through a locator spell. The girl was new to magic and couldn't control her powers, but Bonnie reassured her that she was in good hands. (Obviously after five seasons of shenanigans we knew this was NOT the case.)

So yeah, the first attempt at the spell did not go well. Which caused Enzo to take matters into his own hands for some reason:

Um, so, he killed Jeremy and no longer had leverage? How does that work exactly? Enzo is the worst. Anyway, Bonnie didn't know that Jeremy had been smothered by a dry cleaner bag so she busted out the BIG GUNS to help convince this witch to keep going. 

So they did it. They did magic and found Wes or whatever. I don't know, they didn't show that part specifically, but I'm pretty sure they did it.

Meanwhile Katherine and Stefan busted in and took care of business! By business I mean that Stefan roughed up Enzo and Katherine saved Jeremy's life while pretending to be grossed out about it.

Also Enzo randomly threw a stake and hit Katherine in the back which was SO rude. And even ruder, Damon pretended not to care.

Like, really? So Damon was one (falsely) dramatic conversation away from being apathetic toward Elena's safety? Yikes.

So then Stefan and Damon broke-up as well (brothers break up right?).

And guess who was STOKED about Damon's supposedly permanent departure? Man everything was coming up Katherine lately. 

So meanwhile Tyler clued Matt in that Nadia had been compelling him, Matt took vervain and then watched as Nadia tried to compel him (it was for details about Caroline possibly having a crush on Stefan, because Katherine likes to keep her finger on the pulse of teen gossip). But just when Tyler was trying to take credit for being awesome, he failed to look behind himself!

Whoops! Then Nadia made Matt convince Tyler that he was crazy for caring about this stuff, and then they got a truck and she told him that she needed to drain his blood and compel him all over again.

Oh also, at this point Matt totally realized that Katherine was in Elena's body. Imagine that! Matt Donovan actually sussed something out before anyone else. Matt might be the human version of creamy, starchy comfort food, but sometimes the white pepper can be REAL spicy. You know?

This was fantastic: Damon and Enzo showed up at the abandoned hospital to confront Wes ontly to find THEMSELVES confronted by a gaggle of chanting bohemians!

WHOOPS! That new lady was a Traveler! And they incapacitated Damon so that Wes could shoot him up with the Ripper Potion! Uh-ohhhhhh. By the way, I just want to compliment this show on how cool the Travelers have ended up being. Much like how The Originals cracked the code on making witches scary again, these Travelers (and their ability to neutralize vampires) are way more threatening than any witches in the past, including Silas or Tessa. Also, what was up with that doppelganger blood situation? I'm suddenly so excited to learn more about their endgame, and how it now suddenly involves the Augustine vampire research. Anyway, yeah, credit where credit's due: I like this stuff a lot.

Meanwhile Stefan admitted that he's still hoping for Elena and Damon to get back together if only because it "improves" Damon or whatever to be with Elena. To me that is not a great reason for ANYBODY to be in a relationship--Stop trying to change other people, everybody--but still. I liked that Katherine saw the writing on the wall there and decided to just agree to Stefan's wishes and play the long game, I guess.

She basically agreed to keep helping "save" Damon, but only for Stefan's sake. That is obviously the biggest flirtation of the century, but Stefan seemed pretty grateful anyway. Oh, and then look who interrupted again:

Haha Caroline. Honestly, she's very correct to suspect something weird is going on, so it's hard to blame her for wanting to keep an eye on everything. But still, so awkward.

Oh, and then THIS happened:

Damon saved that one trapped vampire! 

But then he BIT HIM UP SO MUCH.

HAHAH WOW. Damon is one of those Augustine Super Ripper Vampires now! Whuh-oh! That's much, much more serious than simply being a broken-hearted dickhead. Now there is legit SCIENCE behind his future assholery. Which I suppose makes him more sympathetic, but also, dang, how's the gang going to get Damon out of THIS pickle? Also, is he going to eat everybody's heads off now? Nobody is safe. I hope he starts with Enzo, though. Sorry, Enzo, I hope your head gets ate off. (Also, somebody please give Damon a moist towelette.)

"Total Eclipse of the Heart" was a sometimes too-painful, but frequently very entertaining hour of television. I don't claim to know or even care that much about the romances, but story-wise, things are coming together in really interesting and clever ways. Absolutely loving this new Katherine-Elena hybrid persona, and the straight-up horror of what Damon's becoming and how the Travelers fit in are very compelling to me. I don't really know what else to say, okay? Thumb up.

OK BYE FOR A FEW WEEKS, GOOD LUCK IN THE OLYMPICS EVERYBODY!

BYE.

QUESTIONS

... What are the Travelers up to?

... Is Aaron really dead or will he pop out of a shallow grave at some point?

... How long will Katherine keep up her charade?

... Were you happy to see Dr. Maxfield again or should he jump in a dumpster?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/9/2016

Season 8 : Episode 7

439 Comments
Comments (439)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Very upset over Damon's behaviour towards his pals. Not consistent at all, didn't make sense and it made my heart uncomfortable. Damon should stop pretending he doesn't love to bro - hug Jeremy.
Flag
So i'm kinda liking the old school Damon? Mainly because he gets some cool lines. Also, good riddance Elena! Katherine rocks. Except for when she doesn't. And I wish she and Damon would be pals because that would be awesome. Caroline will forever be adorable and awesome. Stefan was boring, but good, nice Stefan-y boring. Which is fine. Overall, a bit too much season 1.
Flag
Ugh, just... no.

While admittedly still being entertaining, TVD is just going in circles at this point. Every character arc is basically the same. Stefan/Damon/Elena goes bad, wrecks havoc, everyone is concerned, and then they snap out of it and feel terrible. I feel like these characters are constantly between douche mode and woe is me mode. That would be alright if the other recent arcs weren't terrible, but both Silas and the Agustine society ended up being convoluted, cartoonish wastes of time. Weren't the characters supposed to go to college and move forward this season? What happened?

And Damon especially is becoming less and less forgivable at this point. Katherine hit the nail on the head in her break up speech, and I don't see how the writers could find a way to redeem a character who goes on a killing spree every time he has a bad day. I guess they could go the Being Human (UK) way and admit he just can't be redeemed (but then BH character arcs were actually consistent), but then will it be Stefan and Elena sailing into the sunset like the predictable endgame I was hoping dearly they wouldn't be?

I have nothing against interesting non manichean characters on TV, but there has to be a line somewhere. At this point it feels like TVD is telling us that it's okay to be a murdering psychopath (as long as you're hot) and who cares how many people die, and anyway you still get to talk with your ghost buddies, it's a wonderful Dragon Ball world where death is meaningless and everyone comes back. I know it's fiction, duh. But how is the threat of death supposed to mean anything in this context?

Yes, the show is still highly watchable, mainly because the actors are selling it and the Katherine arc has a lot of good things (also I will never stop loving Caroline ever). It's entertaining. But it's also disappointing.

PS: Enzo, Enzo, Enzo... You are everything that's wrong with this show. Another one note hunk/ bland plot device who is going to die brutally and whom no one will remember in five episodes. He needs to go, yesterday.
More+
Flag
So, a few points to express my feelings on:

1. Well, this sounds crazy, but I'm with Damon no matter what. Every time I get mad at him for doing something stupid I end up forgiving him sooner or later, which leads me to Katherine/Elena

2. So, when Katherine broke up with Damon to hurt him. She became dislikable to me. She has been playing with his feelings for over 500 years and I am quite at my breaking point. She needs to go. I don't care for Elena either.

3. Is it me or is there more and more hints every episode that Steroline could be happening?! I mean I really don't care who she gets with as long as she finds her way back to Klaus.

4. Enzo. Enzo. My feelings are all over the about you. I don't know how to feel.

5. PEOPLE THAT NEED TO DIE: Wes, Wes's witches, Nadia and Katherine.

BONUS: Damon does need to stop living for people and live for himself. He needs to stop pining over hoes that will change his moods.
More+
Flag
I serious hope you never will be a jury someday, because it is clearly the bad guys you will wrote for. Which is very sad, only because a dude is good looking, and girl wanna fuck them so everything else doesn't matters.
Flag
Uhmm...No, I will not. Reality and Non-reality are different. In reality, all the bad guys must reach justice no matter how good-looking and charming they are. In non-reality, I just like Ian Somerhalder as an actor and I like Damon. Thanks for thinking you know me though. Peace.
Flag
What are the Travelers up to?

Yeah, seriously, what are they up to? and most importantly, who the f**k are they? Who do they work for and what are their mojos exactly? A hybrid of vamp strengh/speed and witch thing?

... Is Aaron really dead or will he pop out of a shallow grave at some point?

Dead and dead. His dreamy eyes worked like for 5 seconds and then he's just plainly boring.

Can't tell where my heart goes, Elena's boring but Delena's good. Karoline's my favorite but Saroline kinda work for me too.

Not that happy to see him again but he's the only wide card left for this season so stick around a bit, pls.
Flag
I tend to believe that who we're seeing now is who Damon really is. Not that his redemption arc isn't undoubtedly coming, but this behavior isn't ooc for him at all. This is how he's always dealt with rejection--in very macabre and evil ways. What's harder for me to buy is Stefan's declaration about Elena being good for Damon with zero regard for how bad Damon is for Elena. If he still cared a shred about her (which we all know it's way more than a shred), he'd never push her toward Damon. His acceptance of them isn't growth, it's twisted and messed up as someone who cared about Elena so much in the past.

The writing for all of these characters has frankly been all over the place. TVD is not what it once was, I'm afraid.

I totally agree about Katlena being the star of this show right now though. Props to Nina Dobrev--she is a gem!
Flag
I am also bored with any romances on this show. I agree it doesn't make sense for Damon to regress after all that growth. I enjoy watching Katherine trying to pass as Elena, I so enjoy everything Katherine except yes it's weird to see her behave like a love-sick teen trying to win back Stefan. The traveller story and Augustine are the most interesting now. Glad Matt figured out Katherine took over Elena's body. Think Caroline will suspect it soon too.
Flag
i kinda don't buy the whole damon thing either. he legitimately did become a better person, and became friends with these people. if one break up is enough to send him over the edge then he is unworthy and needs to be put down. i am loving the katherine elana hybrid, honestly i don't want elana to come back because she is just a terrible person disguised as a good person. katherine is hella fun and nina dobrev is a great actress. sometimes i forget that because i was no longer a fan of elana but everytime katherine is on screen i am reminded of how good she is. if it wasn't for the fact i know she playes both parts i would think that maybe she has a twin, she's that good. about the travelers though, to me they are just witches that can go into other's bodies. everything they have done could have been done by witches. i hope it's a long time before we get elana back, i don't care if she is the main character.
Flag
I think damon is still in their! I just think he turned off his humanity like elena was forced to do last season!!! The only reason he had it on was for elena! but hes so hurt from kathrine/elena that he couldnt stand the love anylonger so humanity is out the window!!!!
Flag
the story is at a turning point. Seeing katherina impersonating Elena and learning her moves and ways is both good and bad. Matt's always in the middle of the story, when it was with klaus sister, and now with katherina and her daughter controling him to know more about elena friends and her. These turning events will be good, and make the show better I hope. Waiting to see more changes :P
Flag
They've actually already established that vampires do have to use the bathroom. When Vicki was turned, she had to pee. Also in season one, when Damon and Elena went to Bree's bar on a road trip, Elena asks Damon how it's possible for him to eat, when he's supposed to be dead. He tells her that as long as he gets blood, his body functions normally.

Also, the thing about Matt's mom being a succubus wasn't a rumor, there's a deleted scene on the season 1 DVD where she sucks the life out of a man. I also wish they had decided to go with this storyline! Not that season 1 needed any improvement, but season 5 sure could use some. Bring her back, writers!
Flag
Since they eat and drink human food and beverages without gaining any nutriments, it's only logical that they do visit the bathroom. And BTW, how lame is that? And bears the question: If they drink only blood, do they have to use the bathroom? They won't if their organism uses 100% of the blood components... PS. Hematophagic creatures science is so interesting, HAHAHA! ^_^
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Actually, Vicky thinks she has to pee and goes to the bathroom, but when she returns she says something like "false alarm" and mentions that she still has to get used to be a vampire. I think that implies that she didn't actually need to use the bathroom, as vampires don't, and she mistook something she was feeling in her new body for the need to use the bathroom.
Flag
You're right. But I didn't take that as meaning that they don't pee, just something funky going on with her body at the moment.

And wasn't there something in a recent Originals episode where Marcel and Klaus were sitting at the bar together and one of them (Klaus I think) says he has to go use the loo?

PS - WHY do we even care about this? LOL.
Flag
I find myself asking the same question. Why are we so invested? LOL.
Flag
Am I the only one who thinkgs he can actually make out that Katherine is playing Elena, as opposed to Elena being herself? Nina Dobrev is amazing Oo

I guess I believe this quick Damontransformation because we all know he doesn't change, he is just trying to convince himself that he is the big bad wolf.

Also, I marathoned the last 3 episodes, because I missed them and one quick think.... SO MUCH SECRETS are revealed by vampires hearing other vampires..... JUST FREAKING WHISPER guyz... it is not that hard!

Let's hope Elena doesn't come back at least for awhile :D
Flag
"I feel so letdown by how the writers have portrayed Katherine, now that she's in Elena's body. Katherine used to be known for her self-preservation skills and 'give-em-hell' attitude. Now she's just like a lovesick teenager who is absolutely OBSESSED with getting together with Stefan."

Exactly this.

Stupid writers turning everything into love. Ugh..

Anyway, I hope Caroline messes it up by fucking over Katherine big time because then Katherine will be pissed and start ripping people or scheming, I loved her scheming and her ways of treating people like Elena does but without the actual meaning behind it.

This new fake old Damon was cringe worthy to watch, that must have been intentional from the writers but I don't know, it doesn't matter. This new story arc with him being upgrade to Vampire Vampire is cool, I also hope he eats Enzo's head off!

I agree that the Traveller story arc is coming slowly together and hopefully they'll have a juicy end game (and secrets! this show needs more secrets again). I wonder what they want with doppelgänger blood and vampire version of it too no less.
More+
Flag
I feel so letdown by how the writers have portrayed Katherine, now that she's in Elena's body. Katherine used to be known for her self-preservation skills and 'give-em-hell' attitude. Now she's just like a lovesick teenager who is absolutely OBSESSED with getting together with Stefan.

And, I totally agree with everything that's being said about Damon's odd behaviour. All the progress he's made, all the character development- it just seems very fake that he'd let that all go just because of a breakup. If anything, this show has convinced us of how Damon has come such a long way since season 1, and to have them make a mockery of that by portraying Damon like his 'old self' is simply sad.

Flag
*yawn*

in other news, im glad price isn't doing those boring, unrelated to the plot intros. ths time he did a short one, and then started actually discussing the ep. like old times! i like this much better :) ima go like a bunch of chris17blue posts now cause she's awesome and always right :)

PS: STEFAN IS PERFECTION <3
Flag
They should all get amnesia! Now that would be fun to watch and it isn't more farfetched than some of the things happening on this show lately!
Flag
I have never felts so utterly betrayed and let down as I have with Vampire Diaries. Plec had not only destroyed Elena and Damon individually but as a couple. SHe finally put them together to only destroy them utterly. It's such an utter betrayal that I can't even watch this show live anymore. I save up a few episodes and watch because I cannot stomach the way the show has gone off the rails. Caroline used to be my favorite but she's the biggest annoying hypocrite. Only Katherine can they seem to write consistently well. It's so heartbreaking. I'm just glad I have The Originals, but I figure by season 3 of that's how she'll start destroying that show too!
Flag
BORING plot. it is so predictable, that i cannot feel any shock in me. I need something new. New Revelations, new storylines. But this? This crap makes me sick. No offense but they've been destroying their characters. Damon has really gone far. Katherine being a fangirl. Stefan being the "save my brother" man. Bonnie being "save Jeremy". Jeremy being the "help me" character. Matt being the one who always forget. arrgh, Disappointments grow in me. Not really excited about next week's episode. Ooops. I mean next next next week's. Hiatus. -.- that would really makes my desire to watch tvd fade. I miss the old season :( Where there were still sparks. There were still other supernatural people. There were still "main" characters, not just for a week, and goes "kbye, im dead". ugh. They've lost it. I hope they can redeem all the frustrations and anger really soon. Expecting to see good episodes soon!
Flag
Jump in a dumpster douche Dr. Maxfield! Why take inocent people and turn them into vampires only to lock them up like lab rat. Jerk!
Flag
Anyone else thinking that Damon turned it off and that's why he's being like this??
Flag
Didn't Damon once say that the switch button is a fake?
Flag
Yeah I think that is a strong possibility. I hope it ends up being the case. But he does have a reputation of being impulsive and doing really stupid things. I do think Stefan's speech at the end summed it up. Like he is trying to make people hate him to confirm that he is the bad guy that everybody thinks he is.
Flag
anyone else think in that last pic of that traveler chick with Wes she kinda looks like Tessa
Flag
This episode was entertaining but it didn't work for me. Damon season 1 was great...In season 1. This reversion only would be plausible if he turned off his humanity or something of the sort. Dissapointed.
Flag
Me too :( hating it
Flag
i love, love, LOVE how i'm not the only one who adores katherines new role and elenas departure from the scene, so to speak! But i have always far preferred katherine, especially the flash backs to antebellum virginia!
matt still has the traveller knife, which will be needed to remove katherine from elena, which i foresee to be the season finale :( i do not like this, as i so very much adore katerina petrova :(

you raise too good of points for whitmore to be dead, i do indeed believe he will be returned as a vampire, and taken in by stefan (MUCH to the surprise and chagrin of Katherine, her not knowing who he is- and does matt know, for it to be compelled from him?)

what i don't understand is why the vampires stand around listening to the chanting, somehow for some reason convinced magic won't hurt them, when they already know it will, and it CREATED them to begin with. yada yada yada.. lets not run away super vampire speed and be left alone, instead, lets stand here and let them curse us!
Flag
Anybody else up for an Enzo spinoff? Just me?
Flag
i would like to know his story- was he turned during ww2 when he was originally found and forced into an augustine vampire, or was he around since 1700 and have a great, great deal of back story himself? i'm thinking if he was a new vampire, he wouldn't have been so keen on surviving torture for decade after decade.. he must be living for something!
Flag
Maybe it's because the show markets itself mostly as a supernatural love triangle, but its tendency to retread old ground is becoming RULL tiresome. Seeing Damon revert to his S1 ways is even more frustrating than the ridiculous ret-con flashback scene they dropped into the S3 finale, where a pre-ANYTHING Elena meets Damon, and out of the blue he tells her she wants a love that consumes her then compels her to forget their conversation and is not at all nonplussed at the sight of a doppelganger of the woman he's spent 150 years trying to recover. (Sorry but I HATED that so much it has transcended multiple seasons.) His reaction is especially annoying and silly considering he has very little justification for feeling so jilted. He dumped Elena (again for what seems like no reason except that, from a viewer's perspective, their relationship was starting to stagnate), and when she (okay, Katherine) gently rebuffs him, he immediately goes batshit and starts murdering everybody on the block? Sorry, but that's foolishness. Obviously this choice will achieve some payoff when the real Elena resurfaces and realizes AGAIN that Damon is a grade A turd burger boyfriend, but for that to happen, Elena has to come back...and I hope that gets put off as long as possible.

I think the whole season has suffered from a real lack of direction, both generally and with individual character arcs, and the result is, here we are in the middle of the season, hitting the reset button. Damon's bad again. Stefan's good. They're at odds, once again. Caroline and Katherine, the two best characters on the whole show, are currently left with nothing to occupy them but worrying about boys - the same boy, as it turns out, because, DEVASTATINGLY, there can be no platonic hetero-gender friendships on this show. Poor Caroline has been with almost every other significant boy in Mystic Falls. And while Katherine's attempts (as Elena) to win back Stefan are somewhat charming, I'd much prefer to see how she acts with Nadia now that she finally has some semblance of family again. The only reset the show hasn't done yet is to bring April back, and THANK GOD, because if that happens I'll burn everything to the ground.

Finally, get out of here Tyler. This is a holdover reaction from last week, but Tyler's grounds for being upset with Caroline are VERY shaky. He walked out on her for a second time, went to NOLA, beat up on and slut-shamed a pregnant lady who used to be his close friend, and then stomped back into Mystic Falls thinking Caroline would be down? Then he finds out Caroline sexed Klaus and he nearly beats up and slut shames her too. He is the absolute worst, basically. Yes, it may feel like a betrayal because Klaus murdered your mom, but look what you just did to a pregnant lady! Sigh. Everybody in Mystic Falls is an ultra-sensitive violent psychopath.
More+
Flag
"Yes, it may feel like a betrayal because Klaus murdered your mom, but look what you just did to a pregnant lady"

Seriously? Have you forgotten hat this pregnant lady used him, lied to him, and had his friends---12 hybrids---killed? It was Hayley's scheme that led to Tyler's mother being killed. If your ex slept with the person who killed your mother, wouldn't you be angry? I don't understand how anyone could be mad at Tyler. Everyone seems to have forgotten what Hayley did.
Flag
I admit, I may be slightly biased by my complete hatred for Tyler. I have never liked him. He has always been a butt, in my opinion. Violent, vengeful, lusty, and incapable of measuring his own strength against his enemies. Also, he may have forgotten making out with Matt's mom, but I didn't. It was gross. And so was the way he treated Vicki, her daughter. Why does Matt tolerate this guy who womanized BOTH women in his family? No me gusta. If Tyler tried to rebound from Caroline by making a pass at her mom, I would not be that surprised. Because he a dog. (Werewolf joke!)

He can be upset about Caroline, but he ceded any right to make her feel bad about it when he walked out.
Flag
Yeah, Klaus may have done the killing but it was Shane & Hayley that orchestrated that entire thing. Klaus is predictable enough that they knew if he was told the hybrids were tying to bury him in concrete he would just go ahead and kill them.

Tyler was also partly responsible for what happened though. He should have considered that if he picked a fight with Klaus that Klaus might strike back. It's not like they weren't aware that Klaus sometimes kills people's family members to get back at them for betraying him - in fact Katherine informed the Mystic Falls crew that Klaus does this and then they saw it happen for themselves when he staked Jenna (as punsihment for their attempts to stop him from breaking the curse).
Flag
What I learned out of this episode:

Katherine is the better Elena!

+ I love the back-to-season-one feeling. Hope it lasts!!! <3
Flag
Basically, Katherine is the only reason am watching Vampire diaries..the whole show is loosing the spark it used to have..
Flag
you're not alone.I'm only watching the show because of Katherine as well
Flag
cant believe i liked that but its true....
Flag
... I have no clue and I don't really care right now.
... Again I don't care.
... Hopefully forever.
... Jump in a dumpster.

I like Dick Damon because he is a lot of fun but Price is right it felt off this time and maybe its supposed to. I was hoping he would notice how off it felt and that hurting Jeremy was bad, because let's be honest no one should hurt him, but he didn't.

I love the photo of the photo of Jeremy, I love Tyler Shields!!!

I love Katherine and I hope Elena never comes back!!!!!!!!
Flag
Upon re-watching this episode I noticed a glaring flaw. Enzo saying "My bad" !
Where in the fuck did he pick up that phrase? He has been in a dungeon since like-the 40s? People said "My bad" in, I dunno, the mid 90's? I know it had already become cliche by the late 90's, because, in senior year, my friend and I had a "My bad rule"-which was that every time this kid Ricky said "My bad" we would mark it down, and if he said it more than five times we would hit him.
So at some point Enzo must have watched the movie Clueless or something since he got out of the dungeon. ( Did someone say "My bad" in clueless? It seems like they would have. But I forget.)
Flag
Upon re-watching this episode I noticed a glaring flaw. Enzo saying "My bad" !

He was probably watching basketball on TNT.
Flag
fair point. I don't watch sports. So maybe this phrase is still in use and i just don't ever get exposed to it.
Flag
1. No idea!
2. Dead.
3. 4-5 episodes.
4. To the dumpster with him.
Flag
These last few episodes has renewed my interest in this show! I just wish Katherine would stay in Elena's body forever… It's so fun watching her trick everyone of Elena's friends, and trying to win Stefan back. I also enjoy the tension between Matt and Nadia, but Damon is getting a bit tiresome. They just erased four and a half seasons worth of character development.
Flag
my reaction to this episode/season -
.... LOL
Flag
I was wondering if this picture meant that Price saved the picture he drew when Klaus drew his, and then shredded it for this recap. Did he have a shredder in his house, or did he have to go somewhere just to do this?

Even if he just photoshopped his drawing onto the paper in the picture, that still goes far beyond what his job description calls for.
Flag
The lengths Tv.com staff goes for a photo recap is pretty extraordinary.. So I would say he bought a shredder just for this.. :D
Flag
And to think I used to like Caroline. That shredding of the picture was a real middle finger from Julie plec to all the klaroline fans. Still now we can watch Caroline wandering around doing nothing of importance like Tyler does instead of exploring an incredibly meaningful storyline. This show struggles more now to make us care about storylines (love triangle zzzz) and just throws away one we actually were invested in?
Flag
"Klaroline" was a terrible idea in the first place, because Caroline really shouldn't be that dumb. You guys (shippers) got a lot more "Klaroline" than you could reasonably hope for, and now you're complaining about it.
Flag
Well when the writers backtrack and imply they will end up together then say the opposite people are going to be pissed. They tried to crowbar a sex scene into ep 100 to 'please' shippers then say actually that's it. They compromised character integrity with lines they would not 'reasonably' say to force the story in their preferred direction now originals is popular. It was handled terribly.
Flag
I was going to poo-poo at you for implying that Caroline can't have a meaningful storyline unless it's centered around a romance, and then I remembered this is The Vampire Diaries.
Flag
... What are the Travelers up to?

Don't really know, but I just wanted to point out that they haven't a special ability to weaken vampires, it's the same thing Bonnie has ever done.. whether you're a witch or a Traveler, the only magic you can do is LOCATOR SPELL or ANEURYSM SPELL.

... Is Aaron really dead or will he pop out of a shallow grave at some point?

I was so sure he was going to be turned in an Augustine. What the hell was his purpose then? Why did he keep on taking screentime?

I hope at least for another episode or two, I'm having too much fun with her!

Mmm don't really care, don't even know why he does what he does.
Flag
Also, I'm so not interested in Damon's twist becaus it's too boring and umbelievable. I guess I should start approaching TVD like I do with Supernatural...

A new witch! Who would have thought??

Why doesn't anyone ask Enzo how can he walk in sunlight? There must have been a witch helping Wes!
Flag
im trying to understand what you mean by approaching TVD like you do with Supernatural.. i always thought all ladies watch SPN for the hilarious dialodges and Dean/Sam/Misha(choose your fave) lol. are you a girl/guy?

TBH, SPN is slightly better considering that its still going strong in its season 9. And so far, only 1 or 2 seasons were kinda horrible (the season where Sam was drinking blood?) while the others were generally quite good.
Flag
Hi, I'm a gay guy, but still if the plot is weak there's no hunk that can cover that up for me :D
I meant that SPN is greatly disappointing me re-using plots all over again, making the brothers fall in the same cycles, "break up", then come back together... I'm seeing the same brother-dynamic!
To answer properly, I think SPN should be long gone, I'm still watching out of loyalty hoping it gets better, but every episode it just doesn't.
This is obviously just my opinion, I know I can be quite nitpicking!
Flag
I have to completely disagree with the Supernatural comment. Supernatural is FAR above TVD these days especially I used to be excited about TVD episodes like I am with Supernatural (and OUAT), but now there is nothing to be excited about.
Flag
Katherine has become pretty pathetic now. I mean pretending to be elena to get with stefan...weird. I think I would of preferred her take another body or something come into mystic fall as some newbie and get stefan to fall for her like that and then once he is totally in love with her come out and be like bam I'm really Katherine! But idk I hope elena comes back soon and smash damon in the head to bring back his common sense. And I strangely like dr. Maxfield for some reason :) maybe it's cos he's cute.
Flag
See that would have been an interesting twist for the Mystic Falls gang.
Flag
Eh, I'm not super excited about Katherine's new #1 priority. I see her as such a badass that it's tough to swallow the whole swooning schoolgirl "now I'm finally getting what I've always wanted (re: Stefan)" routine. I believe that she loves him, and I also buy into the angle of her wanting to pursue him in her new Elena life, but her brilliant survivor mindset seems to have gone out the window. I'm just not sure why she seems to be so confident that she's utterly free and all threats to her have passed? She should be as paranoid and level-headed as ever. All it's going to take to undo her entire existence, literally, is a jab with that Super Special Knife and/or a witch spell (and oh, hey, now they have a new witch!). Then, "poof!" Katherine-Be-Gone. No body to go back to.

I get that she's thrilled to be alive, and a healthy/strong vampire again, and not having everyone be openly hostile and repulsed wherever she goes, so I too enjoyed seeing that cheeriness for once. It was refreshing and kinda sweet, the circumstances of it notwithstanding. I'm just saying I think she's smarter than to let so much of that transfer over to her actual interactions with Elena's loved ones given the drama of Elena's life right now. She knows Elena is a wallowing, loyal-to-the-end, bleeding heart buzzkill. And yet she's picking out which earrings to wear to a party, inviting Stefan to come on over and have funsies, and just generally displaying none of the tension and melancholy she knows she needs to.

Kat has better control of her real emotions than that, basically. And in immortal vampire land, the land in which she has always happily schemed and played the long-con, what's her rush all of a sudden? To me it felt like they undid a lot of her characterization, ala Damon, probably purposely for the sake of expediting her inevitable discovery. She's had Elena's body for, what, less than a day and already everyone who knows her has plenty of clues to figure out something's off. And that's just BS.

P.S. Next episode's promo indicates that the issue will get even worse. Kat's all "Should me and you get a hotel room?" in full-on flirt mode. Maybe Elena's less-capable brain is physically affecting her. It's my only explanation.
More+
Flag
first of, i love your edited klaus painting thing, price! very epic! could not stop laughing... hahahhahaha 2nd, i agree, morally wrong to body-jack Elena... but yeah.. Katherine's the A game! hahahah <3 this one :)
Flag
I'm all for the Katherine love, but her infatuated puppy-dog love towards Stefan is pretty painful to watch. On the other hand, I'm very excited about the prospect of a relationship between Stefan and Caroline. They've been hinting at the possibility for ages, and personally I'm surprised they haven't done anything with the pair sooner.

And yes, Damon reverting to his evil ways was both not only a lot more boring than it should have been, but like it has been said, sort of ruins any supposed development his character has had. But hopefully it was just for this episode because him being turned into an Augustine vampire actually gives him a reason to be acting so bad.
Flag
It's the same as Katherine reverting to her old self... why bother developping
characters?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
1. What are the Travelers up to? No idea, still can't care. They remind me of the Broadway show "Rent" for some reason. Anyone else see that? Great show. I sort of expect the Travelers to all have AIDS.

2. Will Aaron stay dead? I think he will.

3. How long with Katherine keep pretending? Couple more episodes before it's too ridiculous that no one figures it out. At least I hope it does not get too ridiculous.

4. Was I happy to see Dr. Maxfield? No. And for the life of me I can never remember if his name is Wes Maxfield or Max Wesfield. Seems like it could go either way.
Flag
I wished they reminded me of Rent, but they were just boring. So they didn't. It did, however, look like they might have AIDS. I agree with the rest of your points.
Flag
Maybe if they sang and danced they'd be more Rent-like. Certainly more entertaining lol.
Flag
I find that Damon’s characterization is still very in character but not in the way people would think about this being his true self or people thinking they’ve been fooled all along about who Damon is. I disagree with both standpoints , the basis I am using to analyze him is still the same. It’s not about him “not getting the girl” as he puts it, but his lack of belief in himself and believe me I do not condone this or want to wrap him up in blankets and say “poor Damon”.
No, that’s not the stand I am taking at all. It’s more clinical from the way I’m looking at it because I do judge his actions very much and I do not think anything can justify it. But I attempt to understand what drives him to operate this unhealthy way. Self destructiveness is his addiction and he battles with it constantly because his instinct is to run away, to act out, to sabotage himself and not deal with the consequences but rather face someone’s hatred of him to validate his own self flagellation which further reinforces him to be this way. It is in a way sadistic but also masochistic. It is problematic but from a distanced point of view it is fascinating.
I think a key point that Damon says in 5x12 is that before he was conflicted, but now he wasn’t and it brings us back to 2x12 where he stands at the middle of the road and says he’s lost existentially. He wanted to turn it off but he couldn’t, even though he knew he couldn’t have Elena and the biggest reason for that as he explains in 2x13 wasn’t that she was with Stefan but because of who he was, and who she wants him to be and how that doesn’t really go together and he struggles with that realization of that change. In 5x12, he says he’s crystal clear about who he is, that Elena thinks he’s a monster and that’s who he really is because that doubt is gone. He believes that’s all he is and from the start he’s believed anything good he’s done was because of Elena(“I don’t do good. It’s not in me.”//”You’re the good and I need a little good in my life because without it there’s an awful lot of darkness”) and everything he did was because she believed there was more to him, and that he was dependent on her for any good that he did. After the sire bond debacle, it further decreased his belief in himself and made him think about how he is negatively influencing Elena. He takes credit for all the bad that he’s done to her but he cannot take credit for the good - that has to be all Elena.
But that isn’t true if you take into the consideration two examples in 3x19 and 4x01(“You never told me about that - what you did for Rose?” “It wasn’t about you” // “You were the stranger that wanted me to get everything I wanted from life. Damon why didn’t you tell me?” “Would it have made a difference?…I didn’t think so”).
And finally when “Elena” reiterated what his beliefs were, what he saw himself as, he lost any hope of being better(“For the longest time, you wanted to be with me but you were scared that I’d figure out how awful you are”) and if she couldn’t have faith in him, why prove her wrong, why prove anyone wrong? Her belief becomes his belief because in a way, Elena’s word is the law to him. Yes, that’s placing Elena in a position of a lot of power but also in a position of a lot of pressure.
This is not about Elena rejecting Damon; it’s about her seeing him the way he sees himself and him deciding to revert back to what he knows, what he thinks he really is.
There’s a lot of subtext in the episode about the way he operates by Stefan and by Katherine impersonating Elena. But I guess I’ll start with how he parallels Elena in her no humanity arc, not exactly in her mannerisms by her thought process. When Stefan says “You’re better than this”, Damon says “On the contrary, brother, I’m better like this” which parallels Stefan and Elena’s scene in 4x16 where he tells her the same and she says “Maybe this is the better version of me” and how Damon tells Elena “You don’t wanna be like this” because Elena implied she didn’t want to be like him in 4x04. And cut to the last scene he has with Stefan and “Elena”, Stefan tells him not to come back and there’s a flicker of emotion,guilt, on his face and he says “I wasn’t planning on it” which parallels Stefan asking Elena in 4x15 “What if when all of this over and you want to come back home?” and her saying “I won’t” walking out of the house and not looking back. But she does get her humanity back. Like nohumanity!Elena was a kleptomaniac because life stole stole away from her, Damon is a person who likes to trash his car, his house, his bourbon because it holds no value to him anymore because he cannot see any value in himself.
But Damon’s defense mechanism differs as Stefan explains that “I think he enjoys the way it makes him feel. It’s like the more pain he can cause, the more reasons are there for people to hate him. He wants to confirm everyone’s lowest expectations of him” and while Elena did want to subvert herself and create an identity of herself that couldn’t feel hurt anymore and lashed out on others, she wanted to feel numb and hurt the people she cared about so she wouldn’t have to hurt, you see her looking a lot more unemotional than Damon. She wanted to be numb while Damon wants to be hated. Because Damon masochistically enjoys the pain he inflicts and the hatred it gets him because it validates how he sees himself(“Because when people see good, they expect good. I don’t want to have to live up to anyone’s expectations”// “He’s decided what he wants. He just wants to be hated. It’s just easier that way” // “Life sucks either way, Jeremy. At least if you’re a vampire you don’t have to feel bad, if you don’t want. I did it for a very long time. Then life was a lot easier”).
In my earlier metas, I used a quote from Arrow which applies to Damon:
“Most believe there are two types of people who go into a crucible. The ones who become stronger from the experience and survive it, and the ones who die. But there’s a third type. The ones who learn to love the fire and choose to stay in their crucible because it’s easier to embrace the pain when it’s all you know anymore.”
There is a moment when emotion flickers on Damon’s face when Liv, the witch, says “I can’t do this! I’ve done horrible things. Set buildings on fire! I’ve hurt people! I’m out of control” and he sort of identifies with her in that moment because Liv cannot believe she can do the spell that she can’t control herself, that she’s a walking timebomb. I guess this can be equated to how Elena projects herself onto Katherine in 4x18 saying neither of them could be saved because she didn’t want to be.
Some very crucial vocabulary used in season 4 comes back again in this episode where Damon says “I’m not in a mood to be saved” and Katherine impersonating Elena tells Stefan “I tried to fix him and I couldn’t” which honestly is something Elena would never say because “fixing” a person was exactly what everyone shamed her for that she was a broken toy in the need of fixing, because she wasn’t who they wanted her to be and when she switched off her humanity she challenged Damon and Stefan to stop trying to fix her and accept her as she was or she would increase the body count which would then be on them. I don’t think it’s as simple as Elena with her humanity off was the real Elena or Elena without her humanity off was the real Elena or the same for Damon because you are who you choose to be, even if there are different sides of you but at that point in time, you are that person. But overall, there is more to one’s personality and different sides are foregrounded at different points depending on the person’s state of mind. People need to be healed, not fixed and it’s apparent from the first 11 episodes, especially 5x08 - 5x11 that the issues created in season 4 still have led to cracks in Elena and Damon, individually and collectively, and haunt them in questioning who they really are and how they impact each other.
The show again is revisiting the question if someone needs to be fixed when they go off the deep end, because it’s pretty clear none of the characters are healed - especially focusing on Damon and Elena. There is nothing wrong with a person being who they are but love cannot solve the amount of issues that one has. It can help but it is a lot more of understanding that through the usage of that love that causes a person to heal gradually. The question was never just closed. It’s been reopened this season questioning Elena’s and Damon’s identities.
Of course, Damon makes it seem like it’s because Elena dumped him because it’s easier to come off as a dick than admit the the truth that he sees himself that way so he finds no use in being any other way because being honest means being vulnerable. Remember that Damon’s words and his actions aren’t always in consonance. Also look at the premise of “Elena” breaking up with Damon - it had nothing to do with Stefan or Elena not loving him; it was “Elena” telling him that he hadn’t changed, that he was a monster - that either she’d have to change to become worse or he’d have to change to become better and they couldn’t meet halfway. It was nothing about taking it out on Elena and his manpain. But the very human tendency to have no self belief, beyond thinking one is the worst. It stems from survivor’s guilt out of doing something selfish and not being able to deal with it; it stems from people saying that for years and after a while believing in that and continuing this cycle on and on, unwilling to break out completely because that would mean to forgive oneself for all the wrongdoings one has done. I don’t think Damon ever did that, and even with Elena’s forgiveness, he never understood why she gave it at all.
Did Damon create a huge crack in his relationship with Jeremy? Yes, he did but I don’t think he wanted him to think any better of him. However, he wanted Enzo to torture him, not kill him(still problematic, no doubt). But once he saw what’d been done he saw no reason to come off better. He felt guilt as you see it flicker across his face when he sees “Elena” but he turns around to walk away because he already took the step where he couldn’t turn back from and he was crystal clear about who he was and there was no point questioning it anymore or dealing with those emotions.
This is not the same thing that happened in 2x01. Similar but only in superficiality because the premise of it completely differs. After 2x01, Damon realizes he screwed up and he tries to make amends. Here Damon finds no point in being good because he thinks that’s him being a wolf wearing a sheep’s skin. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that one should sympathize with Damon’s actions. I never have whenever he’s lashed out. But his motivations is what I concentrate on and try to understand as do I for other characters.
This time Damon didn’t actively hurt Jeremy (nor the woman at the beginning for that matter), even if he still acted as careless and left him in Enzo’s hands. It’s a lot more complicated that in 2x01 because there we could see he was hurting but he still cared and he lashed out in the worst possible way. This time around he’s more detached and you could see guilt crepting out here and there, but it’s also a lot more scarier like he just stopped caring at all. I mean, even when he got injected, he couldn’t care less he had just being turned into a vampire killing machine. He says it’s karma because he turned into a psychopath after the Augustine experiment and now after he’s injected, he’s now a vampire killing machine - what goes around comes around. He thinks in a way this is his redemption: punishment.
Damon will have to fight his impulses to kill any vampire person he cares about, especially Elena, Stefan and Enzo which will test his “IDGAF and I just want to be hated” attitude when he’s not in control of hurting these people because Damon has always liked to be in control of how he gets hurt - he’d rather sabotage himself than let someone else do so and here he isn’t getting that choice, his instincts aren’t his own but a product biochemical engineering which will make him question who he is because if he truly is a monster then he shouldn’t really care at all about these people, which may cause him to deal with issues because of having lost that agency.
Elena on the other hand, having her body and her life stolen from her by the person she feared most becoming and whom she forgave inspite of everything she’d done, will make her question her view on how forgiving she is and maybe approach things with a more ruthlessness because she spared Katherine’s and Nadia’s life and they only took over her body. I can’t really gauge exactly how will be her reaction to Damon because it certainly won’t be completely accepting or completely hateful because I don’t think what the five seasons have shown us is that Elena will actually give up on Damon, and only fight for him for Stefan as Katherine is doing. No matter what, no one has understood and grown to understand Damon as much as Elena and despite what she said in 5x07 about Stefan knowing her better than anyone, I highly doubt Stefan saying “I KNOW she’ll give up on him” is true because Elena would fight tooth and nail to get Damon to his senses because she cares, even if she might hate what he’s done. That’s what everything that has led up to this moment has shown us(“Because I didn’t want to see you get hurt okay? I worry about you”). Stefan himself said he doesn’t know how to save Damon, but he knows Elena knows how to. But Katherine has taken over Elena’s body and the way she’s operating she doesn’t seem to get how Elena operates or understands Damon in a way that she can get through to him. Even after 2x01, Elena didn’t stop caring about Damon and jumped over a fire to stop Bonnie from killing him, and even in 2x03 when he got shot, by instinct she bent down to check on him and in 2x05 she didn’t want the sheriff to hurt either Stefan or Damon even though they were in an odd place where she proclaimed to hate him and even in 5x11, she wasn’t hateful of Damon but there was the question of if she was changing for the worse which everyone was telling her about and when Damon said it pretty much like “Elena” telling him that he’s just a monster, she started questioning her own faith in herself and him. But she didn’t give up on him. But as I said, she won’t be as accepting as she was in 5x10 either.
Neither of them will come out of this experience as the person they were before and because of this they will have to deal with everything they’d been avoiding this season by holding back things from each other after they got together after the sire bond broke. They both question who they are and how the other impacts them and if they cease to be their true selves with them around but they have to understand that and gain back the voices they lost after the knowledge of the sire bond because they both want the control that was questioned and made them scared of it.

The analysis was taken from this individual -
http://identityneverreallymattered.tumblr.com
More+
Flag
yooo, i wasn't prepared for the essay-length but i read it all the way through and i've never seen such an accurate character analysis. people are so quick to write off certain characters (and let's be honest, people in real life) when all it really takes to reveal complexity is a modicum of understanding.
Flag
Price Peterson's love affair with Katherine is beyond ridiculous now. She has become a caricature, everyone can see this, except Price.

These photo recaps have become almost as boring as this tween Katherine.
Flag
I weep for your terrible taste. I don't always agree with Price's praises of this or that in the show, but his recaps are always fun and ever since season 4, I look forward to them more than I do the actual episodes.
Flag
There is nothing fun in recaps where all he does is fawn over Katherine.

To be funny, one has to be objective.
Flag
>>But also (2) why is Katherine creating stone-cold evidence of her schemes! Why is she writing in her diary about taking over Elena's body in a way that can be easily discovered later? <<

Excellent point, Price! Writing about taking over Elena's body is monumentally stupid. Katherine is smarter than that. It seems living Elena's life very quickly gave Katherine some of Elena's worst qualities.

>>Hahah of course there is an abandoned hospital near Mystic Falls. Very few people get sick, their afflictions are just straight-murders. <<

Lol! Another excellent point. There is very little need for doctors in Mystic Falls. Actually all they need is vampire blood, for the few humans left in the town.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I miss Silas. I keep thinking of his hilarious speech at the bus stop and wishing he was back.

Flag
I've always thought Silas had been underestimated. Especially after everything we went through with Season 4! Yes I hated the massive retcon, but him and Tessa especially were really giving the show new freshness! Now it's becoming plain boring!
Flag
Matt mind you own business and don't ruin things for Katherine, I just love that bitch. And the whole Katherine giving Jeremy CPR thing was hilarious.
Flag
I've come to two undeniable conclusions

1. Love struck, giggley, awkward, school girl crush Katherine might just be the only thing that can trump love struck, giggley, awkward, school girl crush Rebekah.

2. By a significant margin, Price Peterson is the best pure writer on TV.com. Seriously dude, mad props

I'm with you on the hard to believe complete reversion to Damon season 1. If I had to wager a bet, I'd say there was a deleted scene sitting somewhere of Damon, post break up, turning off his humanity again. That alone would make sense of pretty much everything he's done thus far.

Also nice to see that Katerine recognized Caroline as a possible threat to Stephan's affections. Mostly because it means I wasn't crazy for thinking that all this time they've been pushing Stephan and Caroline closer together until the inevitable happens...which is totally gonna happen and cause Katherine to reveal herself and turn bad again which will make her the perfect match for evil Damon v.2.0. That just came to me...I like it.

Keep doing what you do TVD!
Flag
Excellent points on the swapping of couples. Also, I think Kat and Rebekah are very much alike..
Flag
1. dunno. their intention to date has been only to help everyone else subdue the vamps.
2. dead. No point keeping him in the show.
3. 1 more ep.
4. just go away already.
Flag
I have watched this show since the first episode and I will until it ends but I have to admit...I am praying it ends soon because it just gets more and more boring by the week. I have a sickness where I have to finish a tv show I start watching but this show- it just feels like the same crap over and over and I honestly don't know if I'll make it or not because it gets worst by the week.

I have started to find myself watching out of habit since last season and that is because this show has just failed to bring any originality these last two seasons. Every season: Stefan/Elena/Damon are in a constant state of bs drama that is just painful, Tyler leaves at some point and comes back (recurring pattern since season two), Matt or Jeremy get kidnapped as an attempted to get the rest of the gang to help whatever bad guy needs their help, Katherine is up to no good, the show avoids killing anyone and if they do- they return as a ghost so death is nbd, the show introduces the SAME recurring characters season after season....seriously, Aaron was this season's April only slightly more bearable since at least we got to see him die, Jesse filled the role that the vamp hunter Elena killed early last season did, Dr. Wes is basically the professor from last season and Enzo might as well just be renamed Kol.

Damon and Katherine have been this show's greatest characters and these last couple of eps have ruined both of them. We know Elena will be back and we know Damon will snap out of it and be forgiven for murdering Aaron which is likely not even being referenced again.

ugh so much
More+
Flag
Same! I haven't even watched the last few episodes and I don't want to because I know TVD will piss me off with it's plot hole ridden, circular, and inconsistent writing. (made the mistake with TO and was pissed afterwards), but now I have this weird sense of guilt...So annoying! I'm now reading the recaps in attempt to pacify that feeling.
Flag
My sentiment exactly. Now I watch TVD out of the same obligation of having watched it for so many years... used to be a time when I'd drop everything the moment a new ep was out. My icon is from back then, and now I'm too lazy to even change it. They have run out of storylines.
Flag
I fully agree. I will watch the show to finish it, but I don't get excited anymore when new eps come on, and honestly I wait a few days before watching them. Used to be I would watch it the night it was on...
Flag
OMG I hadn't focused on all that parallelism. This is terrible! XD
Flag
Okay lets begin with the following Matt is the dumbest person in the history of all mankind. Hi I know that your mom jumped into Elena's body and I'm going to tell you. Jeez this show really loves Katherine. Hello been there done that. As for Damon and Enzo I think they need their own show like a vampire Lethal Weapon. As for Jeremy, please kill him god he's a pussy. Caroline is becoming more and more annoying. As for Tyler who knows. Seriously this season is about as disjointed as it gets.
Flag
Seeing as Jeremy fought Silas, I disagree. As far as Matt is concerned he was already being held hostage so It would have made no difference. Besides he better send a quick text on the dl to Rebekah
Flag
I agree with what you said about Matt. Has he never watched any TV? Doesn't he know that making it blatantly obvious that you know too much is a good way to get yourself shot vampire-murdered?
Flag
Yes I think at least Jeremy should be written off, maybe Bonnie too..
Flag
YES to Vampire Lethal Weapon, starring Damon and Enzo.
Flag
Also, I kind of want to bone the new cute witch girl, but I don't know about this whole "giving Bonnie a storyline" thing. We all know what a recipe for disaster that can turn out to be. Need a reminder? Two words: "Professor Shayne". Then again, I didn't want to bone professor Shayne, so maybe this attempt at a Bonnie centric plot will not end in fruitless disaster. It would be hilarious to see Bonnie go up against the witches on the Originals. I can see it now,:

Bonnie: So you guys are witches too huh? ( they explode Bonnie's head)
THE END
Actually her and Sophie Deveraux would have made pretty good pals. Partners in uselessness. Maybe now that Sophie is on the other side and none of the other witches will talk to her she can make friends with Ghost Whisperer Bonnie!
Flag
Wow, I don't understand the hate for Bonnie or Sophie.
Flag
They were poorly written.

Bonnie never developed the way she should have. The writer's kept flip flopping her between this all powerful badass who can do any spell and a novice with no control. They didn't allow her growth to happen organically, they forced it for plot purposes, which resulted in an inconsistent and laughable mess. Bonnie can be a be a novice witch in training, she can be a mediocre witch with some power, OR she can be an all powerful sorceress whose almost strong enough to take on the Originals, but she CAN'T be all 3 at the same time. It doesn't make any sense and the fact that she goes through this progression every single season makes it even worse. Either she's powerful, or she's not, but this up and down, they're always giving us is beyond irritating. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets her powers back at some point and starts the cycle all over again.

Also, just like I get annoyed with Elena for her "woe is me, EVERYTHING is about me" crap, I get annoyed with Bonnie constantly blaming, judging. and ostracizing everyone else for the things that happen. Yes, she gets roped into a lot of BS, BUT there have been times she's taken the initiative and she STILL behaves the same. Why do we have to listen to her whine about the consequences of her spells or plans all season when she's usually forewarned about them? You knew something was going to happen. Yeah it sucks, but take responsibility for your actions, stop getting in over your head and blaming the others every single time because sometimes it IS your fault, and try to figure out a solution that WON'T make things worse. Oh and Beremy doesn't help the situation. It always felt like "hey, we're the 7th and 8th wheels of the gang, wanna hook up?" Nope.

And Sophie's motivations were never strong enough. She came off as lame and weak. She wasn't a threatening character, she claimed to be desperate and willing to risk her life, but she really wasn't. She went through the motions of antagonizing the Originals, but it felt like just that, going through the motions. Her drive was lacking which made her explanations fall flat. She was desperate and doing this for family and yet there was no real menace in her behavior. "If you don't do what I want I'm going to kill Hayley." Pricks Hayley's finger. "See!" Umm...witches cut their palms all the time (and Price never fails to complain about it), and yet we're suppose to believe the Originals were scared of a pricked finger? I know that moment was to prove that they were linked, but it was also meant prove that Sophie means business. A SLIT WRIST means business, a PAPER CUT means "I'm a wimp, kill me at any time". Sophie had plots, but she never went the extra mile to actually make them believable. I don't know if it was the writing or the acting (probably a combination of both), but this is why I hate Sophie.
More +
Flag
,they are gorgeous women, and they have powers but they fail a lot. I mean Sophie had a great energy, but she was so obviously doomed. I think her doomedness made her even cuter. And Bonnie is just a hottie, but Mystic falls witches aint got nuthin" on the quarter witches. Mainly cuz I don'''t hate Bonnie-she is a nice person. But GENEVIEVE! I wanna do her and then kill her! she is hot-but not likable. Makes her even sexier!
Flag
I don't hate them! I actually want to bone both of them too! But you gotta admit they sucked as far doing the witch beat down compared to the likes of Papa Tunde, Genevieve, or Celeste.
Flag
(Still patiently waiting for another Depeche Mode underwear dance party scene.). <== 100% agree with this statement passionately
Flag
Ok vampires HAVE to poop in this universe! they eat food! Nadia's comment about hybrids peeing was, I thought, a subtle jab at the superiority of hybrids. These vampires are just like people with powers who have to consume blood. They have heart beats, pulses, they have been established as being being indistinguishable from humans. Except for very early season one episodes where there was some nonsense about having to drink coffee to keep warm or some damn thing, but I'm pretty sure that has been retconned, because since then, apart from blood, we scarcely see these vampires drink anything other than scotch.
Which by the way, if being a vampire gives me a valid excuse to drink alcohol 100% of the day, sign me up! I don't even care about the super powers thing, I would just be hammered all the time. Oh, and though I do agree with you that this Damon arc was pretty wrong for the character after all his recent growth. (yes he should have seemed more conflicted about hurting Bonnie and Jeremy) it's a fair point to mention that in this episode he was clearly, extremely drunk! He slurred like every word he said. Even normal non vampire type people can be horrible to the people they love when they are drunk.

....so, yeah, vampires do poop is my point basically.
More+
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members